Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS
Customer Discussions > Toys forum

What was the best toy you ever received on Christmas morning?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 806 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 8, 2010 5:13:55 AM PST
I think the best toy I ever received was one I hadn't even asked and hadn't even thought about. I was five years old that Christmas in the 1950's. When I walked into the living room and saw the most beautiful doll bassinet I could imagine -- real white wicker with a pink organza skirt. soft mattress, satin pillow and embroidered doll quilt, I couldn't believe my eyes. The legs were even on casters, so it could be moved from place to place easily. In another package was a new 20" lifelike baby doll to go with it. Well, I played with that bassinet and its occupant, Bobby, forever, and in fact, after a new paint job and updated skirt and bedding, my daughter played with it in the 1970's when she was little. There is nothing like available today. If you could buy it, I cannot imagine how much it would cost. Sadly, things beautiful and well made seem to have disappeared.

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 10:36:00 AM PST
Grace says:
Barbie Electric Drawing set. Drawing, tracing. Used it for play and school work for about 8 yrs!

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 1:45:27 PM PST
Big-John says:
The Flying Fox, which was a 4 prop plane attached to a cox pit. It had two wheels, left and right throttles to control all 4 prop speeds. It had blinking wing and tail lights and retractable landing gear. You could turn an bank it and as I remember it having a quite elaborate functional control panel with dials and switches. It was quite interactive for back in the 50's.

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 4:24:42 PM PST
meg says:
An earlier post from someone young enough to be my daughter reminded me of the HOURS of pleasure I got from my LITE BRITE set. I got mine in the late '60s or early '70s, though, not the '90s. heh.

I even took it to college with me. My roommates and I would make pictures or signs for each other and leave them shining in the living room for whichever one of us was stumbling into the house late at night.

The presents I got most excited about, though, were books. One of the best presents of my whole life was the book The Phantom Tollbooth, the Christmas when I was nine.

I also really loved a very old-fashioned comforter my mother made for me. I always had an early, strict, bedtime, so she probably wasn't hand-stitching in the wee hours. But I was always impressed that she had kept all her work on it so secret until Christmas morning.

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 4:30:23 PM PST
meg says:
Oh! And roller skates! Those were as exciting as the year of the bike.

My friends and I would roller skate all around our neighborhood for so many hours our legs would feel the residual vibrations from the sidewalks when we plopped into bed that night.

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 6:27:50 PM PST
Cesar Souza says:
My Parents were very Poor, So i Rememer my mother asking the neighbors if they had some used toy so they could give her.
Then she clean the toys, wrap it and gave to us( me and 2 sisters).
In 1979, she got a hardly used and old bike, and gave us. That`s the best thing i ever received as a gift.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2010 10:59:27 AM PST
Deal Hunter says:
The best present ever was never expected because as kids our parents did not have much money. As the youngest of three girls, I was about 8 yrs old and introduced to the world of video games. Atari............ that was a great day!

Posted on Nov 13, 2010 11:14:21 AM PST
Wall Stickz says:
The original SEGA game system.

Posted on Nov 14, 2010 11:00:10 AM PST
Tyler says:
41 days until Christmas!

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 9:27:03 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 15, 2010 9:28:07 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 9:27:49 AM PST
Tyler says:
Do they still make Stretch-Arm Strong?

Posted on Nov 23, 2010 1:33:30 PM PST
Tyler says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2010 1:38:48 PM PST
I still have mine and my kids love to play with it.

Posted on Nov 23, 2010 3:01:25 PM PST
Michael24 says:
I'll never forget Christmas 1983. I was five years old, and the big box behind the three held my attention all morning. Finally, after everything else, my parents said I could open the big one. I eagerly ripped off the wrapping paper and found myself looking at the G.I. Joe Skystryker jet. I have a picture of myself proudly holding it up in front of the tree, looking almost as big as I was. That was a great Christmas present.

Posted on Nov 23, 2010 3:47:55 PM PST
idog ampd flowers

Posted on Nov 23, 2010 5:12:15 PM PST
A giant stuffed troll doll - like the kind we used to put on the end of pencils.

I named it "Raol McHerpDerp" :) :)

Posted on Nov 23, 2010 7:36:08 PM PST
Tyler says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2010 7:37:00 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 2, 2010 10:15:28 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2010 9:22:13 PM PST
I got a dollhouse, and I do think it was the original Loving Family one but who knows really. It did look like it though. I also got a computer where you put different cards on the screen and it somehow knew which card it was and helped you do activities. "Press the blue star." Stuff like that is nothing now with all the technology, but in 1992 it blue me away haha.

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 4:19:49 PM PST
C. Shepard says:
An interactive tribble. I hugged it when I got it.

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 10:05:00 PM PST
B. Smith says:
My first bike (when I was 6...I cried and I remember thanking God) and

My first pair of roller skates (for an indoor rink) when I was in 2nd grade!

Those were the days!

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 7:36:52 AM PST
C. L. Strand says:
A stuffed panda bear with a bowtie is the best toy I ever got at Christmas. I named him Present (how utterly original) and he's one of the few stuffed animals I have left. :)
However what I really lusted after as a child were books, probably the most excited I ever got over any present was the three book set of the Wizard of Oz series...

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 7:59:54 AM PST
K. Zawadzki says:
The Barbie Dream House, complete with all the Barbie Dream Furniture circa 1980. The next year the Barbie Dream pool, which held 3 gallons of water and came with a working shower. I also loved my Barbie Jeep and Horse trailer with a palomino horse. My sister and I had a whole room for our Barbie kingdom - until my brother came along, then we were banished to the 2nd floor stairway landing. I also was very excited to get a Dancerella doll (1977?).

Posted on Dec 8, 2010 4:38:27 PM PST
Josie Cat says:
Shogun Warriors!

Posted on Dec 9, 2010 11:13:52 PM PST
W. Dennert says:
Sometime around 1980, we had opened all of our gifts except one big box that looked like it was probably an Atari and two small boxes that we were sure were video games for the Atari. My brothers and I were so exited ... until we opened them and found out the big box was an electric typewriter and the smaller two boxes were ribbon cartriges, one black and the other corrective white. That's when "disappointment" was just too weak a word to describe how we felt. We ended up getting a Colecovision console a year or two later. We all laugh about it now.
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 33 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Toys forum (350 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Toys forum
Participants:  592
Total posts:  806
Initial post:  Aug 8, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 49 customers

Search Customer Discussions