Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Toys forum

I need lego for son

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 11, 2012 4:28:19 PM PST
legoman says:
My son loves Legos but I am on 42 dollar budget He even said "Just some Lego ninjago sets"

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 6:27:07 PM PST
I have picked up huge sets of legos with books and all at the Salvation Army in town. Great prices. It is worth checking out. Also check barnes and noble, they do coupons for 40 percent off an item and they carry legos. My son is a lego freak too and we are on a tight budget so I know the pain of trying to find them. Hope this helps.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 7:43:10 PM PST
D. Sero says:
The first thing you need to ask him is: Do you want the "spinner game" or do you just want the Lego sets?

Ninjago comes in two different forms: Lego building sets with minifigures, and a spinner game. There is some overlap between the two, but it is good to know ahead of time what his main focus is.

If he mainly wants it for the spinner game or has at least some interest in it, I recommend one of the Ninjago "Starter sets" which run about $20. The "Spinner game" basically allows you to put a Lego man on a round spinner, and spin it around trying to knock your friend's Lego man off of his spinner. You can give the figures different weapons and Lego addons to make it easier to knock off your opponent, or harder for your Lego minifigure to be knocked off. It's a fairly popular game with children so he may have some friends who have their own Ninjago things to play against him.

The starter set has everything he would need: two lego minifigures, two spinners, weapons to put in the minifigures' hands, and a plastic Lego ring so that the spinners don't fly all over your house and get lost. If he likes the spinner game this will ensure he has everything for two players.

In addition to the starter set, there are various "booster packs" which would give your son more Lego minifigures as well as some more weapons and ways to make the game more interesting. Because they are Lego, you can mix and match things to get the result you want.

Now, if he has no interest in the spinner game but wants the play sets as well, you're also in luck. Ninjago is Lego's most popular original series, so they are very motivated to come out with newer, better sets. Because of this, the 2011 Ninjago sets are suddenly considered "obsolete" in Lego's mind, pushed out of the way for new inventory. Because of this, Lego is severely discounting all their Ninjago stuff from 2011.

Check Amazon and your local retail stores and you may just find some good Ninjago clearance deals, regardless of whether your son wants the spinner game, the sets, or a combination of both. Most stores are trying desperately to clear out old 2011 Christmas inventory and Amazon stores are no different. This is your best time to buy something like Ninjago, but I advise you to look hard for the discounted sets because there are some good deals to be had.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 6:25:46 AM PST
legoman says:
Thank you I asked him that question and he asked for some booster packs and stuff like Kai's blade cycle and Jay's storm fighter.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 9:50:16 AM PST
albert says:
hi,i'me one of those resellers that everyone complaines about.anyway,i bought some of the older ninjango(red box)sets at clearance.i read your post and i would sell you a set at cost + freight to help with the budget.let me know alzapresko@hotmail.com

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 7:48:54 PM PST
Mr. LP says:
Here is my advice: hit every Walmart and then Kmart you can around your place. There was a big clearance at up to 50% at Target and Walmart after Christmas on Lego. I think it's over at Target already, but you may be able to score some goodies at Walmarts right now depending on your luck. These stores price clearance stuffs independently. I just got a Hero Factory set at local Walmart today at 50% while at another Walmart it's still at full retail price. My relative scored a couple sets of Ninjago (Skull Truck, Dark Fortress...) at 50% off at his local Walmart as well. Be aware though, Walmarts are known for putting clearance items back to full retail prices sometimes.

Another money-saving advice: if you found an open box item, Walamrt may give you a 10% discount. Don't be afraid to ask!

For Kmart, you may be able to find some on permanent clearance (meaning, prices won't go back up again). I saw a couple sets at my local Kmarts today at about 25% off. Clearance price at Kmart is usually not deep (15%-25% off), but from time to time, they may offer extra 50% on clearance toys. At such, they are very good deals, as Lego toys are typically wiped out at 50% by resellers already.

Just my thought: Lego Hero Factory toys are fun to play with as well. They are better designed than the previous Bionicle. Some smaller sets can even be fused with each other to create larger models. I bought a couple for my nephew and he had a good time put them together.

Anyway, happy hunting and I hope you can find some within your budget!

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 11:49:17 PM PST
Omar says:
If your son is interested in Star Wars, some of their Lego sets start at $13, so you can actually buy 3 sets and still have some $ left over. For $40-50 you can buy one of the smaller-but still very nice-ships (like Senator Palpatine's shuttle, or Cad Bane's speeder). I know the priority is Ninjago sets, but more options never hurt.
Mr. LP...thank you so much for that info, I never thought of looking at Walmart. The wife and I need to make a trip there asap :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 9:57:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2012 9:58:36 AM PST
wierdcobra says:
Check out this link. Jay's Storm Fighter is $25 straight from Lego.
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/catalog/productListing.jsp?_requestid=2261619

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 10:02:52 AM PST
legoman says:
What sets?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 10:52:06 AM PST
wierdcobra says:
go to shop.lego.com then click on "Themes" then "Ninjago". If you then go to the 2nd page and scroll down towards the bottom you should find it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 1:55:11 PM PST
Does he want a set or does he want the bricks to make his own creations? On ebay you can usually find boxes of legos for reasonable prices... Enough to keep the inventer happy, but they aren't actual sets so if he wants the instructions to show him how to make something it won't work for him.

Posted on Mar 20, 2012 10:45:22 AM PDT
bordersj2 says:
Ninjago are tough because they're popular now. The only times you'll probably get decent deals are if stores like Wal-Mart or Target start closing out older sets. That's a fair amount to spend on ninjago but if you're looking online I'd hate to see that you'll end up burning a noticeable amount of that on shipping too. So I'd probably try going to Target & Wal-Mart, and maybe even BJ's Wholesale if possible (avoid TRU since they usually mark lego items up HIGHER than retail unless they have a special Ninjago BOGO... which they do occasionally have so it's worth checking out).

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 3:57:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2012 3:58:44 PM PDT
GW says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 4:15:00 PM PDT
Brent V. says:
Search Amazon and make sure you are using EVERY tool to YOUR benefit. Example: Look for sellers with promotions, especially Fulfilled By Amazon Sellers, as you get FREE super saver shipping on orders over $25.00! (That can be a combination of the various sellers to reach the $25.00. As another poster mentioned, there are Amazon Sellers making room for the "New Crop" of items. Good Luck and I SINCERELY hope your son has a most excellent birthday!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 12:07:01 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 4:50:00 PM PDT
booklover says:
Hi, have you tried Mega Bloks, Micro Bloks? You can buy a tub of 1000 pieces here on amazon.com and they are the same size as lego, look just like Lego and are compatible with Lego.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 10:15:03 PM PDT
Austin Lam says:
lego ninjago and you haev a 42 dollar budget. trust me you have more than enought to satisfy your son,that is depending what he wants

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 8:29:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 26, 2012 8:31:14 AM PDT
I have tried the "other brands" of blocks and I REALLY don't like them. For me, it isn't a matter of money or the number of blocks. It's the quality, fit, and design that set Lego apart from all the others! I didn't grow up getting Lego or any other brand of toy except a Barbie doll a couple of times (my brothers broke the leg off my Barbie and I didn't get a new one for two years). So when I had my own disposable income, I got a little $5 Lego set when I could. Now I have a couple of big sets and I try to get a Lego Advent Calendar each year (and I have a wonderful time playing with them). I was willing to wait for the real thing, and delayed gratification is a valuable skill. . . . So my advice would be to let your CHILD DECIDE whether he wants genuine Lego or something else. The right to choose is a valuable gift by itself and he will be grateful for it. Although I REALLY wanted Legos as a kid, I was about 16 before I got one minifigure, and no more for a long time. But I'm glad I got real Legos because I still have them and enjoy them!

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 12:12:15 PM PDT
Ron H says:
You have a $42.- budget but can afford a computer, internet access and you have an Amazon account? Doesn't sound very likely to me, but there IS a sucker born every minute...

Here is one:

I am in need of a Ferrari for my dying children. It is all they want for their birthdays. I am on a $34. budget and can't afford to buy one. Please someone, please give me your old unwanted Ferrari, so I may grant my kids their dying wish.

Smyth Witherspoon III "moneybags@wallstreetjournal.com"

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2012 1:26:11 PM PDT
Eagle Eyes says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 9:48:36 AM PDT
Ron H says:

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 12:29:54 PM PDT
FL Mom says:
wow people, no need to get nasty. $42 budget for toys is not so unreasonable. Computer & internet access are practically basic necessities these days for any school age children. Wifi at every corner and a $300 laptop will do, don't go putting people down for having some priorities! No one was asking for a food hand out, just some direction and advice. Besides, there is always this thing called the library, computers are free. Anyway -- -

You have good advice already for finding a nice set. If your son is really likes legos then I can highly recommend the bulk packs on ebay in addition to a set you've already been told about. Salvation Army has dozens of sets of legos in my town too, it's definitely worth stopping in and checking out.

Good luck and happy building!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 12:44:11 PM PDT
Craigslist! You can't beat their prices, in fact you can always ask them to lower the price! I have found tons of Lego sets and Lego loose bricks. Good luck from the "Legolovingfamily!"

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 2:36:20 PM PDT
LKP says:
You have probably already bought stuff by now, but I suggest the Ninjago Brickmaster set for a great bang for your buck. My son also is a Ninjago fan and although we do not have the brickmaster yet, we have the Pirate brickmaster and he LOVES it. We have a huge lego collection and do not usually save our models but prefer to take them apart, add the pieces to the collection, and build new stuff. My Son draws inspiration from the models he gets but enjoys building his own stuff but can get overwhelmed by all the pieces. What I like about the Brickmaster sets are that they are self contained...we don't add these to our stash. The set is a book format and gives you lots of cool small models to build and a bunch of special pieces and two minifigures. You can't build all the models at once...I know some people are confused by this and think they are missing pieces. But what is nice is that the ideas are right there and there are not too many pieces to get overwhelmed by. I am amazed at how often my son plays with the Brickmaster set. He will literally spend hours at a times building and rebuilding little models, both from the book and his own. We have just started with Ninjago and only have Jays Storm Fighter(which is awesome), but are planning on getting more, including the Ninjago Brickmaster set. BTW, the Brickmasters are usually under $20, and I paid $25 for the Storm Fighter, so you could do both or a similar combination next time you are looking for legos on a budget.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012 12:04:20 PM PDT
bordersj2 says:
Brent is correct. I recommend going to Lego.com and registering for their catalog as well because they usually carry a 10% off coupon (though sometimes they carry restrictions). But be extremely wary of Amazon vendors of Lego as the price is usually massively inflated and shipping is absurdly over-stated.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Toys forum (350 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Toys forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Feb 11, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions