Customer Discussions > Toys forum

Does it matter to you whether a toy or game is made in the USA?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 595 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2014 7:21:47 PM PDT
cjkkliving says:
Yea it matters, if made in a different country then they will have the money if made here then the U.S.A will keep the money.

Posted on May 27, 2014 9:05:22 AM PDT
My fellow Americans,
Our chance has finally come to use a Made in USA filter on Amazon products. My brother and I have developed a website aimed at bringing you the most comprehensive collection of American-made products anywhere called buyamericanpact.com. This effort was inspired by my mother, an American manufacturer who has produced in her factory here for more than 30 years. Built by Americans for Americans. buyamericanpact.com. We'd love to hear your feedback!

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 7:09:00 PM PST
I support those who do a good job and produce goods and services that are too my liking. Whether they are American, Chinese, European, Japanese, or Martian is irrelevent as far as I am concerned.

Also, it strikes me as somewhat hypocritical to harp on the Chinese government's violations of Human Rights while seeming to ignore the violations the US Government is guilty of. Not that I see any reason to judge a business based on the actions of the government of the country in which they are based.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2013 5:23:33 PM PST
J. Evans says:
"I support USA Jobs, do you?"

Yup, that's why I bought a Toyota.

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 4:41:52 PM PST
E. Volkmer says:
there is less likely to be lead contamination if made in the usa. AND you are keeping the $ in the USA Economy, not sending it back to COMMUNIST CHINA, a country which violates human rights repeatedly.

In fact, last saturday I made a large online purchase from an independent toy store located in my state. ALL the items I purchased were MADE IN THE USA. I support USA Jobs, do you?

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 11:06:54 AM PST
tina brown says:
I prefer to buy US products, but that being said if the US product isn't higher in quality (which almost never happens), or the price is a lot higher like twice the price. then I'm buying Chinese. With my budget, and the economy being what it is, I really don't have a choice. It's a vicious cycle, they got us by the b@lls and are laughing at us. So if you can make it close to the same cost, people are willing to pay a little more for the quality, and the satisfaction of keeping jobs at home.

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 11:03:44 AM PST
Happy Holidays to everyone on this thread. Just a reminder that buying Made in USA does help our economy. It also helps small business like the game maker and our company OHSAYUSA.com.

Just buy 1 item Made in America this year. If does made a difference for us all.

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 12:20:28 AM PST
Since this thread got bumped, I would like to say that the nationalism of the bumper disgusts me and that I continue to choose what products to buy based on the products merits rather than country of origin. I have been importing fewer high quality, Chinese-made puzzles, but that is due to deteriorating vision making it impossible to play with most puzzles due to them being highly visual in nature rather than succumbing to any US Elitist propaganda. Though, to give credit where credit is due, the American made Zome Tool has quickly become my favorite construction tool, displacing the European made Lego and the I don't know where its made K'nex. The UK-made Polydron is also quite fun if you have a mathematically-oriented mindset.

Also, I still say its only a matter of time before 3D Printing puts every factory making all-plastic toys out of business just as digital distribution is quickly putting physical media out of business(though, I will cling to CDs and DVDs for music and video I deem worth paying for until the bitter end, and would have never given much thought to e-books before loss of vision robbed me of my literacy).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2013 8:40:38 PM PST
DisplacedMic says:
which was made in china...

Posted on Dec 3, 2013 7:48:19 PM PST
k MarvinA says:
I am very concerned about the loss of American jobs and infrastructure. We need to keepour money in the USA. The products in the US are much more likely to be safe and they support American technology and industry. We need to have a fifty one percent control of companies in the USA to keep quality control. Therre is a documentary that I recommend every American watch Its called "Death by China". YSou can watch it free on your Kindle Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2013 4:11:46 AM PDT
Thanks!

Posted on Jul 13, 2013 3:59:58 AM PDT
I have a List of US made Products website that you might find useful at

usproducts.yolasite.com

I have over 3300 companies listed and it is growing.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2012 11:18:21 AM PDT
we'll miss you and good luck to you!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2012 10:53:29 AM PDT
shiloh, I looked up the case site U mentioned & was amazed at what's involved in the industry.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2012 6:52:43 AM PDT
shiloh sales says:
I feel that if we are going to become a manufacturing/industrial nation again to put americans back to work we will need to go back to the KISS method of manufacturing.

Back in the 80's -90's when high tech machines were invented. One machine might replace a small handful of employees. Multiply that by the number of machines in use in factories today and you have a whole lot of people out of work.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 4:03:17 PM PDT
Ouch!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 4:02:01 PM PDT
Rossco, you're one in a million (unfortunately). But my Dad used to speak of a time when most people believed as U do.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 3:53:20 PM PDT
Rossco P says:
TO Heidi Patches Spunky: I just wasn't sure where you were going with that, and having worked in Social Services, I've seen those that deserve some help, and others that deserve a fraud investigator on their doorstep. Since North Dakota Social Services doesn't want fraud investigators for this purpose, and they won't allow the employees to turn in Social Services Frauds to the police, IRS, or any other government office to correct the problem, I just had to make a point. I'm sorry to say that my point was at your expense. Sorry about that! Have a good one and keep up the fight as I feel that my services in the discussion have reached an end and I will be discontinuing my part in the discussion. There aren't many in the main part of the fight, and few who understand the failures that their actions are causing to our nation. I guess with thinking that its ok to buy from China, a civil war or a revolution will be on the horizon as Washington tries to sell more of our country to China. It may be the only way to correct the problems currently being created by all parties in the USA. ---God Bless America

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 3:48:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 12, 2012 3:58:54 PM PDT
I think we need more technical schools that will turn out graduates with the skills businesses need, rather than importing workers from other countries. This isn't going to happen overnight & will never happen if Congress can't get its act together & push some meaningful job education.

I think we all know no president can accomplish anything with both parties bickering instead of working together to frame and pass intelligent, job-making education bills.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 3:43:37 PM PDT
Rossco, I was being facetious about 2/3 of the pop. getting food stamps/welfare but U've got to admit a lot of people live like welfare springs from a bottomless pit.

I have relatives & friends (not many, thank God) who think they should be able to have kids without limits but when I ask them where the jobs R supp. to come from for their offspring they have no answer.

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 6:33:26 AM PDT
Russo P, I think you misunderstand the concept of a post-industrial society. In a nutshell, it refers to when the service sector generates more wealth than the industrial/manufacturing sector. If you want to read more, here is the relevant Wikipedia Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-industrial_society

You are right that there will always be a need to make certain items from raw materials. What you seem to fail to understand is that, with technological advancement, there comes a point where no human labor is needed to make an item, at which point manufacturing will generate very little if any wealth and will be unable to support any work force. At that point, workers in manufacturing are going to be screwed regardless of where they live.

Consider one popular vision of the humanity's future: Star Trek. In that vision of the future, humans and their allied species have access to the Replicators, machines that can take bulk matter and turn it into anything, plant, animal, mineral, natural, or synthetic, for which one has the blueprint saved on their computer's harddrive. Small replicators are frequently used to make food, drinks, clothes, electronics, toys, books, any product that can be produced by agriculture or traditional manufacturing. Larger scale versions could easily construct full-size vehicles, buildings, even entire cities. That one piece of technology renders all of agriculture and manufacturing as something people only do as a hobby.

Granted, the replicator is science-fiction(for now), and might not even be possible(though, it violates no known laws of physics), but its precursor already exists. This precursor is something I have mentioned several times before: 3-D Printing. It has already revolutionized the prototyping phase of product design as well as small-scale production. The cost of the technology still makes it unsuitable for large-scall mass production, but it is only a matter of time before it reaches a price point where the following things could become reality:
1. Desktop 3D Printers coupled with digital distribution of product designs replace factories and stores for manufacturing and distributing any small product made from metal, plastic, glass, or ceramics.
2. Larger-scale 3D printers owned by dealerships replace automotive fac tories, and drastically reduce the land requirements for a dealership.
3. Even larger-scale 3D printers become the standard method for building new houses.
All of the above is based solely on existing 3D printing technology following the same trends of lower prices, smaller form factor, and better resolution of product that all other electronics have undergone. It ignores the possibility of new advances that allow manufacturer or products not possible with existing 3D printers(for example, a 3D printer that can make cloth or build-up biomatter).

As for the 8-9% unemployment rate, I think it worth noting that it is a very misleading figure. It is my understanding that it only includes those recently dismissed from employment or actively seeking employment. Also, I think it might be the percentage of the labor force, not the total population. If you actually took those without paying jobs as a percentage of total population, I would imagine it already exceeds 33%.
Individuals not counted as employed or unemployed:
-Persons under 16 years of age(according to the 2010 census, 25% of Americans are under 18).
-Those in Prison, Nursing homes, mental hospitals, and other such institutions.
-Military personnel.
It should also be noted that the employed population includes certain unpaid jobs(like a child 16 or older who works the family business for no pay). On a related note, I have no idea how homemakers without a paid job are counted in unemployment statistics.

And yes, there are not enough jobs to go around. There also shortages of several other resources, and these problems are only to get worse if our population stays at its current size or continues to grow.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 8:30:15 PM PDT
Rossco P says:
One final comment to all before I bow out of this discussion: You can't save the world if you can't save yourself.
When an individual starts giving away everything that they own, it's a sign of suicide.
Likewise, as our government gives away everything that we own, it's a sign of national suicide.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 8:16:48 PM PDT
Rossco P says:
Shiloh Sales: If an employee is caught not taking a job because they want to keep their unemployment benefits, they are committing fraud and should be dealt with accordingly. If the state unemployment office hears about them denying employment, they will more than likely lose their unemployment benefits regardless of their current employment status. At least in North Dakota, you are required to agree that you are actively applying for employment and that you have not been offered a job and refused it. Unemployment is a privelege, not a right, as with most of the other social services. Because it is there, doesn't mean that you deserve it. More states need to spend time checking up on those receiving unemployment And the other benefits. They have every right to check, and you have every right to turn in those who don't follow the rules to receive unemployment. If you don't at least look into the rules of the program in your state, and you allow people to not accept jobs so that they can leach off of the system, you are guilty of aiding in a fraudulent unemployment claim. In your state, the rules may require you to report those cases to the unemployment office, or another agency and to legally protect yourself, you may want to notify the prospective employees of whatever you find out so that they know that they could be potentially arrested or fined, or the funds could be recouped from past benefits.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 8:01:58 PM PDT
Rossco P says:
DisplacedMic: I was commenting on one of your comments, but since this website doesn't connect everything in threads, the comments become disorganized. I'm just commenting on comments from the past two days.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 7:58:57 PM PDT
Rossco P says:
Bryan M. Miller: Thank you for your concern!!! If I don't need it, and it isn't made in the USA, I don't buy it. And I follow a True Need policy. I graciously accept whatever I'm given as a gift, but strictly follow a no foreign purchase policy whether I earn money or am given money/gift cards. I don't need new electronics or most of the stuff in the stores. Keeping my car running so that I can make my necessary payments on the house or other bills, and for the things that I need to keep the house in good order, are my main focus in spending. Beyond that, and food, I don't 'Need' anything, and am not likely to buy it if it doesn't say 'Made in USA'.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Toys forum (333 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Thomas train plastic & wooden track compatible? 21 1 day ago
how to sell porcelain doll collection 3 3 days ago
Fraudulent Sellers on Amazon/Ebay - Buyers Beware !! 457 9 days ago
Why toys retard child development 0 16 days ago
Vendors Rip Off Amazon Customers 395 16 days ago
need help understanding amazon better 0 17 days ago
Sellers who cancel orders - unable to leave feedback for them 100 23 days ago
70's toy set ? 21 24 days ago
Does it matter to you whether a toy or game is made in the USA? 594 29 days ago
I ordered a book 2 months ago and I didn't receive my order. They said that the item has left the US 2 days after I placed my order but I still haven't got it. 3 Jun 10, 2014
Maker of vintage campfire--help 0 May 26, 2014
Rocking Panda - can he be gift wrapped? 0 May 19, 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  Toys forum
Participants:  208
Total posts:  595
Initial post:  Mar 14, 2012
Latest post:  29 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions