Customer Discussions > Toys forum

Amazon - Third party sellers are killing the deals!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 751-775 of 835 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 6:51:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 22, 2012 1:33:20 AM PDT
duckles says:
I ship most media items myself because having Amazon ship them doesn't save any money for the most part. In fact on one heavy book Item I calculated it would cost me MORE to use FBA. Since all you sell, I believe, are media items it makes sense for you ship them. For my games however it would be IMPOSSIBLE for me to ship most of them and not make a lot less than using FBA. Try pricing a 2.5 pound item coast to coast..Yikes. Amazon doesn't care where it's going and the shipping is $3.11 plus my cost to get it to Amazon which is usually less than $1, AND I don't need to package it to ship to each customer. Also, working pretty much alone, I CAN handle a lot more orders using FBA.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 9:36:34 PM PDT
Sure, duckles. No doubt. It wasn't intended to be a knock on FBA at all...just pointing out that it isn't necessarily something that enables one to handle more, just like it isn't necessarily something that does NOT enable one to handle more.

Previous posts aside, we'd still have to "hold back" some inventory to have ready for the road when we work with independent promotions. That, or be ready to cancel orders when phone or in person orders come in.

FBA has it's benefits, no doubt. It depends on the size of your inventory, as well as how you market your wares, so to speak. If Amazon is your only "venue", so to speak, and your inventory is reasonably small, it absolutely makes more sense to use Amazon. Again, our post was not intended as a knock on what Amazon provides.

However, our avenues of approaching our target market are simply too diverse for Amazon to really be of assistance. In person orders, phone orders, email orders, credit card orders...especially the last one...Amazon has it's uses, and maybe it would have been useful in the early days, had it existed or had we known of it. It's not a bad thing to have, and we've considered it as late as last year. We simply wanted to point out that there are other ways to increase orders, which was not pointed out in massie's post. Perhaps we misinterpreted the first post's intent.

A superb discussion, duckles, as always. One of these days, you should get with "Da Boss", along with Displaced, and see what he can offer to you to see what his experience in sales and marketing can do for your business.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 7:51:04 AM PDT
shiloh sales says:
My inventory includes about 10-15 items that has not sold in about 3 years, I put them on FBA about 2-3 months ago and have sold 4 of them so far. Some of those are oversize toys and weight in the 3-6 Lbs range. When they were fulfilled by me I priced them to break even or take a small loss just to clear up shelf space. They are now priced higher to offset the FBA fees and the Amazon storage charges and to give me a small profit along with clearing shelf space so I can bring in new product.

I think the Super Saver Shipping for buyers is the reason these items are selling now.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 1:47:30 PM PDT
simple solution. Stop the Christmas tradition of buying cheap Chinese toys at inflated prices. Break the addiction and nonsense and whining. It's like buying drugs from a drug dealer and complaining the price is too high. Why don't you try to get off the drug so you want even have to deal with the drug dealer and inflated prices ever again. Is it the drug's dealers fault you are stupid, addicted and no willpower. You need help to get off this "Christmas hottest toy" mentality. Christmas is not about buying your little spoil brat that has every game or toy from years prior to getting a new set of toy he or she will just toss after a few days. Christmas is about sharing and helping the less fortunate in my opinion not buying useless junk. Who's fault is it that you are always broke and American is the most indebted nation in the world. Nobody put a gun to our heads to buy anything. Take some responsibility and stop blaming the Amazon, the third party resellers and look at yourself for being in this situation in the first place. Nobody can take advantage if you don't let them. Stop always playing the victim. Just like the same people who complain about gas being too expensive. I use to whine like some of you guys then I change my lifestyle. Alternative to gas cars is electric, a bike, taking public transportation or carpooling or work from home. You can just whine and not change anything or take action the choice is yours nobody is going to do it for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 7:14:58 PM PDT
Some thing to consider. if you have item at $10.00 msrp and pay the fees storage, commissions and other fees the profit is very small if any

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 7:44:33 PM PDT
me says:
YES! YES!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 6:35:15 PM PDT
It's called supply and demand. In case you didn't know, price fixing like you are suggesting is a federal crime! If an item is too expensive, here's a thought: don't buy it!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 6:36:24 PM PDT
Of course you can justify it! It's a free country, don't buy it if you don't like the price!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 9:09:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 12:29:23 PM PST
bordersj2 says:
Overpriced is subjective anyway. Toys aren't such a necessity & there's a variety of them.

We are coming into the end of October. And there will be loads of "These horrible vendors are killing deals" threads popping up. Last year and through-out, I'd add a post or two about some items that were hot or may be hot, and that they were all readily available at your local outlets (for the overwhelming most part). So... people had time to look and shop around. And of course in January or later, you have an opportunity to join Holiday savings clubs too to ease the pressue that will coem up in the next month or so.

RIGHT NOW, you can find some deals on some hot items. They're still in the stores. It's not too early to get a jump on certain things. There wll be more out on Christmas but for items you know your kids want, if possible try to get them now. Because exactly one month from today, it will be far more difficult AND you will see that 'special item' at an absurd price from different vendors. If you don't want to be victimized, this is one way to mitigate some of that risk. Leap-Pad's or whatever, which people were complaining about last year, were out during the summer. I think they're still on the manufacturer's websites too. Want that new Lego Holiday cottage? It's available right now via Lego & in their stores.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 7:47:41 AM PST
amazonsucks says:
You are an animal, no better than a ticket tout. You will get yours matey.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 1:08:41 PM PST
J. Talley says:
I have to agree. The prices are almost double what you would pay at W*lmart, Km*rt or Targ*t. Why are they trying to charge $18.99 for a toy that costs $9.88 in the stores? I emptied my Amazon shopping cart and spent my money at the 3 stores I mentioned.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 1:11:01 PM PST
DisplacedMic says:
because people value things differently?

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 7:36:18 AM PST
M. Goodhart says:
I placed an order after 11pm on a Friday night through Amazon.com with BIG & LITTLE 5455 Vine St; Chino, CA 91710. I did not realize at the time that BIG & LITTLE's shipping costs were more than the items I ordered. I cancelled the order by 8:30am the following morning. I received an email from BIG & LITTLE as follows:Due to the high volumes of orders that are quickly processed and shipped at a time during this holiday season we are personally unable to cancel your order at this time.

REALLY, you have had my order for less than 9 hours and you cannot cancel the order. Additionally, how is it possible to charge $38.00 to ship $31.00 worth of items? That is "Highway Robbery"!

A Word to other parents looking for that perfect gift for your kids - LOOK at the shipping costs and DO NOT Order from BIG & LITTLE 5455 Vine St; Chino, CA 91710!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 7:46:56 AM PST
edfan says:
Goodhart, maybe they are liars; maybe they do not have the goods and simply turn over orders to the actual owner of the goods and keep a commission. Either way, you should refuse the goods if and when they arrive and IMMEDIATELY ask your bank not to process that demand for payment. As to shipping charges, it's no longer rare for sellers to make a big chunk of profit from "shipping" so BEWARE. This is the time of year all the sharks are out. Don't let them eat your Christmas.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 8:34:49 AM PST
duckles says:
I ALWAYS consider the shipping charges when buying something.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 3:15:02 AM PST
The solution is to buy early or don't buy at all. As with ticket scalpers the best way to kill them off is to let them sit with a product they can't sell.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 3:16:41 AM PST
DisplacedMic says:
oh jeez - here we go again. it's that time of year when people feel entitled to purchase their toys at what they have decided is a fair price

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 9:09:32 AM PST
duckles says:
Actually it got started a bit late this year, and our favorite scourge hasn't joined the action at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 10:52:40 AM PST
I knew *something* was missing from my holiday season; I just couldn't put my finger on it. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:22:30 AM PST
Dont buy the product then..Nobody is putting a gun to anyones head to buy products online or anywhere else. (oh except Obamacare) I am so sick of all these cry babies.. If you dont like the price..DONT BUY IT.. you dont need it to live do you??? What a bunch of clowns and crybabies..

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:24:23 AM PST
PV -- you are right.. If Amazon does a bad job and people are getting ripped off then people will shop elsewhere. New sites will be created to compete against Amazon.. does everything have to be a nanny state ???

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 6:51:43 PM PST
Tammie says:
WOW-It has taken me almost a year to read this entire thread(I started when I was on bedrest with my now 1yr old and did not remember to come back to it until I was doing my holiday shopping this year).

What I find ironic about the folks that say Amazon will lose customers, blah, blah, blah is that I used amazon for 100% of my holiday shopping for the first time last year(amazon, FBA, and 3rd party w/their own shipping), I loved it so much that I did it again this year. For years I used amazon for books, certain items I couldn't find locally, and just generally and item here and there, but it was bedrest that forced me to use it for all of my shopping and I was happy to pay the prices I found. Some were more than I would've paid at a big box store, some were less(majority), I DID start my shopping in October as I do every year. Yes my kids add on to their lists as time goes on and they think about what they want, but the few "core items"(most important) they know ahead of time.

As I was reading through these posts I remembered the Wii that my son wanted when it first came out. I too was a single mom at that time and I spent hours upon hours trying to find one at a "reasonable price." When I could not, my son did not get the item, I hoped the availability would increase by his June birthday, it did not. He ended up getting a wii 2yrs later and his eyes lit up just the same as they would have 2 years earlier. I did not blame anyone else, I did not blame the 3rd party vendors, I just simply knew that I personally was not going to pay more than $300 for a gaming system for a child-period. Had I wanted to, I could've paid the $500-1000 going rate, but it was not worth it to me. I knew that my son would be just as happy in a year or two as he was this year...and if he didn't still want it in a year or two, then he saved me a whole lotta money by not having me buy a "fad item" :-) I never felt like anyone was "st*ealing Christmas"

This discussion also came up recently in my personal life when American Girl offered specific dolls at $50ea and a bed for $50, it was a limited deal, it sold out in a few hours. There were many popping up on ebay the same day. My mother made mention of how terrible this was...I told her of a post I saw, a young man had bought his limit(3 of each), one to give to his niece for Christmas and the other 2sets to sell on craigslist at $75ea to "pay for" the set he was getting his niece, as a student, it was the only way he could afford to gift her so extravagantly. I reminded her that I remember her doing similar things as a single mom when I was growing up...she got it. People have different reasons for doing things the way they do. Had I missed the $50 deal, I would've gladly paid $75 each and let this man "make" $25 on each item.

I have gotten some great deals on amazon, some below "retail/msrp/whatever" and some that I paid more for, but still thought it was a great deal since I wanted it and was willing to pay the price-when that happens, most times I am just happy to find the item, regardless of price. Amazon customer service is stellar and I couldn't be happier overall! I have made recommendations to many people to use amazon as they talk about the hectic "real life" shopping, seriously I never knew how great online shopping could be until I was forced to do it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 7:36:00 AM PST
bordersj2 says:
It's by design. Looks like Amazon is obviously trying to do away with the toy forum since even they deem it a pain in the backside. Don't konw about other people but to me at least, I have to try to find the toy forum nowadays.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 11:17:36 AM PST
duckles says:
I think there used to be a link to the forums on the bottom of each listing page. I checked a couple, it's gone. Out of curiosity I tried the "ask a question" feature and actually started a new forum topic. Now the links to all the forums were visible. It looks like Amazon is trying to just make these forums about getting help. The only reason I get to this one is because I was on the notification list. I don't think any regular user is going to get an answer to their question unless Amazon provides it.

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 8:20:23 AM PST
Aging Gamer says:
I tried to purchase a wii u when Amazon didn't have it for sale. Went to a third party seller named Olivers Place who had the nerve to sell it for 1000 BUCKS! After complaining to the seller he began to send me extremely inflammatory emails..so many I had to change my Amazon email. They need to control these sellers.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Toys forum (342 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Toys forum
Participants:  271
Total posts:  835
Initial post:  Dec 2, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 8, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions