Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Toys forum

Held Down

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 11, 2012 6:19:25 PM PDT
Been reading on the threads and so far I have noticed that people do not trust new sellers. My company being new suffers from these remarks due to bad sellers. I started a small online business selling board games, TCG, CCG,LCG, and deck building games, but do to the bad advice I see minimal sale. It is a shame that sellers like me, one being a veteran and still in service have done all by the book to get license, business name and all tax information just to be able to have something to look forward to when I eventually retire, but as I see no one trusts me because I am new. Worst part is sellers low balling customers by selling overpriced merchandise. Yes I understand that customers will pay for it no matter what and it's a choice no problem, but that ends up hurting the stores that do business for the purpose of providing affordable prices. What can we sellers do that have zero reviews, to actually shine in a pool full of hungry leaches that feed of the poor consumers? Do we just get closed down by these low balers that only worry about money and not about the real reason why they have a store (the consumer).

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 10:43:05 AM PDT
shiloh sales says:
How many items do you sell? and how many sellers have the same items priced lower? and are there many sellers selling those same items as you?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 11:32:11 AM PDT
I have 18 products so far. There are sellers that have the same items but trully I do not understand how they can sell ether
A. Super low price. When I know u are adviced not to sell below 20% or the company can black list u.

B. Super high with high shipping when the same item shipp's for less. Look an item shipped priority large box and 2lbs can go for around $8. Why stack $5 more?

Where is the whole principle of doing business legally for the stores that sell items from distributors or the principle of running a business for the customer not your own gain.
But again just my opinion. I belive in putting the customer above the money. If it wasent for the customer there would be no profit

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 11:56:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 11:58:08 AM PDT
First reactions:

A) Who knows what kind of deal the other people got on items?

B) Who knows how they ship them?

You should focus more on YOUR shop. It's always tough in the beginning, and everyone has to start somewhere, but if you focus on what everyone else is or is not doing, you'll never go anywhere.

Establish your OWN reputation, and your OWN brand. Once you start to establish it, people will come.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 12:01:46 PM PDT
Valid point and I will take that advise. Than u.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 11:17:19 PM PDT
I have no problem with dealing with new sellers, and never have! When I see a newer seller on the other end of my transaction, I make SURE to give feedback. The bottom line for me, as a consumer is literally the bottom line. I look for items with the lowest combined cost, and seek out items eligible for the free shipping. Good luck, and thank you for your service.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 4:31:48 AM PDT
Free shipping, positive feedback, same quality, lower price = my purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 7:42:13 AM PDT
DisplacedMic says:
i agree with Marbled Pages. On ebay I religiously check feedback scores. I do not purchase from people with low scores or significant numbers of negative reviews. I pour over those review pages and it doesn't take much for me to walk away. All things being equal I will pick the guy with the better score every time. I will even pay more for someone with a better score. I will almost never buy from someone who has less than 20 sales minimum.

I don't do any of this on Amazon. I just buy it. I have complete trust in Amazon's commitment to customer service.

I prefer to buy from Amazon directly as opposed to third parties simply because of the free 2-day shipping and lack of hoops to jump through in the case where i do have a problem. but that's not always an option. I never even look at a seller's history when I buy 3rd party.
Maybe I should, but anecdotally I can tell you that i've never gotten burned. Problems have always been resolved to my satisfaction.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 7:54:35 AM PDT
Really I don't know how stores can sell at such a low price and free shipping. I sold my second item $12. My shipping $3. Amazon take $2.20 actual shipping $5.15 left me with 7 profit + or - $1. Shipping is expensive so what can we sellers do, I don't want to hike up prices but is there a cheaper mail service

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 9:00:33 AM PDT
shiloh sales says:
Are your items including packaging under 1 pound? If so, how much under 1 pound are they? If they are slightly over one pound increments, try using smaller boxes, Do not use too big of a box, it may put you over the next pound increment. I found out that the same sized box made by different manufacturers do weigh different and can make a difference to keep the package under the next pound increment. Another seller gave me a tip to trim the flaps on the inside of the box. All of these methods can save you a couple ounces if that is what you need to reduce.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 11:34:09 AM PDT
I'm sure it has a lot to do with credit. If you have a lot of feedback that says your good and reliable, business will pick up. The more items you have, the faster it will pick up (though I can see starting small, I know I wouldn't want to put a lot of money into a business, without knowledge that it would be a success)

Mostly it depends on price. Amazon offers free shipping on a lot of stuff, and honestly, nobody can compete with that. But if it's an Item I want, I'm willing to pay a bit of shipping. There are to many people will charge to much for shipping, like the people who will sell a USB adapter, something small enough to just drop in an envelope, (and costs them about 85 cents to ship that way) but they want to charge $5 or more for it.

As someone who is a seller (on ebay) I know what it costs to ship an item, and will object if people sell an item cheap, and then gouge on shipping. Typically not buying at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 8:32:53 PM PDT
Prospero says:
Well, if you are still around - here's my advice.

This isn't ebay (many books have been written about your situation and how to handle it there), so some of my advice may not apply - but I'll try. First, you do need to be apprised of what others are selling for (their prices). It gives you an idea of where you are at when you come to the counter. But I wouldn't dwell too much.

Get some sales. Have friends buy if need be and give (hopefully) positive feedback. If you have a brick and mortar front, offer discounts/coupons whatever if some of you physical customers will try out your online "experience"

If you are selling used products, you might consider a "gimmie" here and there just to get some feedback on the board. Basically, sell something undervalue to get it sold and get feedback. Obviously, you will want to do this on less expensive items - you can get the same positive feedback from someone who feels good about a 2 dollar deal as you would from a 50 dollar deal (where you may take a higher loss). And don't just give it away - sell it at a lower price. My experience is there is a certain population (likely your competitors) who troll for deals they think they can turn around and they are not the type to leave positive feedback (or any for that matter).

Don't hide that you are "new" to Amazon from customers - say it out front. Also, you are a veteran owned small business, I wouldn't be afraid to slide that in somehow in a description someplace. Your philosophy on customer service might be useful as well.

Be very professional, clear, concise, in descriptions and do not tolerate misspelled words or blatant grammar errors. You don't have to be perfect - but english should come across as your first language (even if it isn't) - at least for Amazon in the US. And don't skip details. I just went with a more expensive vendor on a product because the dimensions were actually listed. That one detail made the sale for that vendor over another.

And lastly, be your own customer. Follow me here, because if you do this in an honest fashion, you can get at least one feedback entry on your board. Buy one of your own products (or have a friend or spouse do it) and have it shipped to your house. That's right, buy and ship it even if that means shipping right back to where it came from. See how the package holds up in transit. You might be very surprised. Experience what it is like to open your package. Is it fun? Does it require a pair of bolt cutters to get through the half inch of tape you used? Does it look like it was packed with care? Was a little extra gift thrown in on the $50 dollar purchase? A few times I have gotten little extras in packages - not worth much really, but they do encourage positive feedback (worked on me). Then, since you just paid Amazon's fee's, you also earned the right to give yourself some feedback (I'd keep it pretty simple (and honest), "package arrived on time and in good condition."). If you are honest about this and actually go through the entire process - shipping included, I demand you give yourself 4 or 5 stars. It's rare that a vendor shows that level of concern for the customer experience.

Anyway - for whatever that is worth.....and good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 10:25:31 PM PDT
Wow thank you for the great words.... I will apply what u said. U know your stuff. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 11:18:01 PM PDT
Prospero says:
Thank you..........but don't spread around "U know your stuff". lol

One last piece of advice - be and sound excited about what you do. It may sound dumb, but taking on an "excited" attitude about my work and personal offerings has had a significant positive impact for me. Smile while you talk on the phone and smile as you write a description. No "magic" here - happy is contagious (even if you are faking it 'cuz you stayed up way to late :))- and happy folk buy more and say nicer things.

Seriously - good luck - have fun - be happy and make some money in the process.

I'm off back to my other life!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 2:40:17 AM PDT
"that ends up hurting the stores that do business for the purpose of providing affordable prices".

Where are these stores? All the stores I know of do business for the purpose of making profit.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 7:25:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2012 7:34:34 AM PDT
WOW! That sounds like what many of the sellers go through. Keep working at it after 2 years I think it will start picking up. Yes there are MANY that cant figure their TRUE costs and sell to cheap.But get some items sell better than others. Keep trying, keep adding products till you find something hot selling. If your buying whole sale always ask is this the best price you have.Ask for free shipping. Remember if they say no you havent lost a thing,if yes youve won. good luck work hard. By the way I found one item I sell at least one a day with a good mark up.So keep looking.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Toys forum (350 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Toys forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Jun 11, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions