Customer Discussions > Toys forum

Lego Thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 112 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 5, 2011 10:41:04 AM PDT
bordersj2 says:
I've seen enough of the 'cursed toy pricers!' threads, and want to actually have a thread about a series of toys, where you shop for them and what you like about them. So here goes - one for LEGO! Here hopefully people can talk about all things Lego. Young, old - from the old days to the new days. What were your favorite sets growing up? Or themes? How do you think the company has been in recent years since the crisis of the late 90's/early 00's?

I think Lego is kind of a fascinating story, and I love the toys. They're so creative and IMO they really do help imaginations. I grew up with Lego in the 80's and it was a kind of golden age. I feel like now some of the pieces are a tad too juniorized and I swear the quality of the brick ins't quite what it used to be, but love some of the different lines and ideas that they have. I was always a big fan of the town series and the space ones. So many cool pieces and things you could make. And they hold true to some of these ideas too.

How about you? You like them? Kids? Star Wars, Harry Potter? What would you like to see them make next? (Yes there are dedicated websites to Lego and fan groups, but why not a thread here?) Have at it!

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 10:50:28 AM PDT
Elly says:
Yay Lego! But I wish they would have some sets that appeal to girls, yet offer lots of building. There is way too much shooting & fighting in most lego sets.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 6:24:28 PM PDT
I agree!

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 9:48:56 PM PDT
C. Caldwell says:
We bought my niece the Harry Potter castle for Christmas last year. She was 8, but she put it together almost entirely by herself. It took her a couple of days, but I was very impressed with her dedication. This year she wants a space ship set to go with it. We're all looking forward to playing with her toys-I mean, watching her play. ;)
I just had plain sets I inherited from my brother, with the instructions long gone. I made a lot of houses. I would have loved some of the sets that are out now, like the Egyptian stuff. I think the little lego people are still my favorite part.

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 4:22:35 PM PDT
Yay Lego! (boo whiners clogging board XD)

The hubby and I collect the mini-figures, he buys lots of sets and I mostly prefer old stuff at flea markets. I did however just win him a massive Lego train set at a theme park here, I hooked a ring in ring toss and lo and behold it was sitting with the prizes so I claimed it. He was so happy! :D

I also wish there were more female sets and figures that weren't "pop star" or "reporter" characters. Perhaps some female pilots (WW1 era?) or a female equivalent to that minifig I have in a dino suit! RAWR!

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 1:11:05 AM PDT
Methusala says:
Lego is amazing and amazingly overpriced! My son was hooked on Playmobil since he was tiny. I used to carry a Playmobil man in the diaper bag because he loved to have it with him. A few years ago my sister sent him a Lego Advent Calendar. That was it for Playmobil. My son dived into Lego head first and never looked back. My problem with Lego is the price. Those little pieces of plastic cannot be that costly to manufacture! I think the price limits children and parents in purchasing. We're Lego fans all the way. I cannot wait to go to Legoland in Orlando. I just wish the sets weren't so pricey.

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 6:58:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Feb 4, 2012 12:20:25 AM PST
M. Su says:
Lego is a wonderful product, but the prices are a bit high. It would be cool if they expanded and got more lines, preferably with lots of variety (So that everyone has one that they love 120%) and some more for girls (I've really only seen the Pink Brick Box and a magnet set). It's nice that they brought back the Ninja and Castle Legos (I like these and Harry Potter a bit more than the others), but they are remakes.

Edit: The quality is kind of bad for the money we pay, like others say. Just the other day one of my skeleton minifigure's hand snapped when I picked it up. I'd only had it for a week at most, and all it did was stand on my table.

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 10:31:53 PM PDT
They are pricey indeed but I have noticed the wonderful quality control they have. I don't think I've ever gotten a set with warped or mismolded pieces in my lifetime.

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 11:53:53 PM PDT
Cedric says:
Give your son an allowance. Nothing like spending your own money to learn how expensive things are!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2011 1:19:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 17, 2011 1:26:11 PM PDT
bordersj2 says:
@ Elly - actually, anyone that wants more GIRL SETS, please take note! You'll probably love this - THEY WILL in 2012. ;) They're coming out with a theme called "Friends" which is aimed specifically at girls. It's supposed to have different color schemes and sets - cafes, etc. Back in the 90's or maybe early part of 2000's, memory escapes me, they had a series called Bellville too but it only lasted about 4 or 5 years maybe. They also had Paradisa too, which was from the early 90's that had cafe's, horse stable, beach oriented themes and restaurants.

Nope, I don't work for them, but you should definitely check out their website too then and see what else is going on. Not sure if they 'officially' announced their 'Friends' line yet but it will definitely be something to be on the look-out for next year.

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 1:24:31 PM PDT
bordersj2 says:
And I agree about price too - they're a little more expensive now. THat and maybe the way some pieces have become more juniorized (like, in one pretty cool looking set I saw the chickens are made, whereas some newer sets, they're already clearly chickens). I think they aim for a price range of between .08-.15 per piece on average.

One thing I like about the company though is their customer service. If ever there is a piece that is missing, and that's becoming much more rare these days, they're awesome about sending it out to you. They actually weigh the boxes and every one of them is supposed to be exactly a certain weight which helps their product QA. Literally, this one set was missing 1 piece... a small, flat hook like brick that was like less than a gram.

Posted on Oct 30, 2011 8:14:37 PM PDT
Bobby Reid says:
Lego's are amazing!! Pricey, but worth every penny. Lego is scheduled to come out with Disney Princess Duplo next year and it is about time!!!

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 2:17:04 AM PDT
Joan says:
LEGOS are "high priced" because they all come from Denmark, the price of shipping alone drives up the price. But that is also why they are HIGH QUALITY, they take pride in their work. Too bad they can't be made in America and put some people to work. Also, we have LEGOS in our store, and they ship them in individual boxes (6 sets to a box). This also drives up the shipping prices, hence, the retail prices then go up, too.

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 2:00:46 PM PDT
D. Kurtz says:
The legos head quarters are in Denmark but the lego factories are in denmark, Mexico, and Hungary. Until about 6 years ago legos *were* manufactured in the US. That manufacturing plant was moved to Mexico. When it happened i swore Id never buy another lego. By the time my grandson had reached the age of 3 Id relented because no one makes bricks like legos. I still prefer playmobil for a high quality, well made, imagination toy though.

Posted on Nov 3, 2011 8:24:57 AM PDT
bordersj2 says:
Some Lego sets or pieces are actually made in China too. The ardent, hard-core Lego fans can tell the difference and it's based on the quality of the plastics. From what I understand, the collectible minifigure series are largely done in China. There are some pretty wild photos of people that tell the difference and show it in the product and coloring.

There is a youtube video I think from Lego about their processing plants in Denmark that I thought was pretty interesting. They've really roared back considering they were on the verge of bankruptcy maybe just 8 -12 years ago. They can say what they want but the Star Wars license and the cult following that came with it did wonders for them... just about half of any Lego store is full of their Star Wars stuff.

Playmobile was cool when I was a kid - I remember liking that they were so realistic and now it's even more so. They have zoos, schools, doctor's offices and even just the little things - a lot of different everyday services that sometimes Lego misses in their "City" themes though they've gotten better in recent years (a bank, town corner and maybe they address it with the Cafe Corner/Fire Brigade type pieces). Both toys are pretty expensive though. I probably preferred Lego because imagination was required a bit more IMO - with Playmobile the items are usually already made whereas with Lego, you'd have to come up with it yourself - imagine it then build it. Though even that's changing and in some ways Lego's becoming more like Playmobile. They have a 'barn raid' or something that's castle themed where they have chickens, whereas with Midieval Market, you have to make the chickens out of Lego pieces. LIkewise, you used to make dogs out of Lego pieces where they already had the painted eyes, etc. Now they just have the actual dogs figures.

Posted on Nov 3, 2011 12:54:35 PM PDT
I like that they have announced more girl targeted lines but I was hoping for more sets that didn't follow gender cliche's. :( Like perhaps a dinosaur set (Lego seems to be sadly lacking in dinos recently) or zoo set, enough with the malls, princesses, and ponies. I honestly loved the Atlantis stuff but it seems like all the mini figures except one in the set were male when they could have easily added a few more. I despise the 80/20 ratio that toys produce (80 % of toys depict male characters while 20% depict female). :(

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2011 6:19:38 AM PDT
bordersj2 says:
Actually - it hasn't been announced yet but there ARE Dinosaur themed sets coming out next year - it will be called Lego Dino. ;) I'm not joking - they will be out next year. A spoiler of some of their new sets for next year made the rounds last month - you can get a quick snapshot here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtCsSigTzzM

In some ways with the girl themes I think they're doing them differently - in some ways the collectible minifigures are great because you're getting more normal figures for everyday life. Like you mentioned zoo sets - one of the series 5 minifigures is a female zookeeper that has a monkey. Another series had tennis player, snowboarders, a girl in a kimono and others. I actually t hink one of the future series is set to have a bride. They are using more female minifigures in standard sets like the city, etc. themes and probably will with dino. Hard to get around the gliche's though (all pink, etc.)

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 2:13:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2011 2:14:19 PM PDT
A. Smith says:
I have a 15 month son and I've recently been stocking up on LEGO sets to give him when he's older. LEGO is so awesome. Mainly, I bought Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Castle Themes. I want LEGO to re-release The Cloud City from the Empire Strikes back, a smaller cheaper Star Destroyer (not $400), another Mos Eisley Cantina, and a Queen Amidala minifig (which they are supposed to be releasing). As for Harry Potter - they should have another Castle addition with more classrooms (Potions, Defense against the dark arts, Transfiguration, etc). Also, they could remake some awesome older Harry Potter sets like the Chamber of Secrets, The Dursley's house, the Durmstrang ship, the dragon Tri-wizard battle, the graveyard Voldemort battle, etc.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 4:06:25 AM PST
Eric DiPier says:
I grew up with the basic sets and I loved the ability to decide what I wanted to make: cars, boats, houses, trucks, etc. To me that really spurred my imagination.

I'm not really a fan of the pre-determined sets where you can only make the thing they want you to make. (Harry Potter, Star Wars, etc).

I know they still make the basic sets but they seem tiny and hard to find. I guess the "themed" sets is where the money is. Kind of a shame, in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 10:18:44 AM PST
duckles says:
It's interesting that LEGO moved their plant to Mexico. K'nex is made by a company in the USA with their own LOCAL factory and they claim they can make plastic injection products a cheaply as anyone in the world. Basically the K'nex line is something to keep the equipment running when they don't have outside plastic injection orders to fill.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 6:03:22 AM PST
bordersj2 says:
If you can and there's one by you, check out the Lego stores AFTER Christmas - like the second week in January. That's usually when they have some better clearance deals. Last year, the Prince of Persia sets were being cleared out - the big castle set for Prince of Persia was maybe 25 dollars, a lot better than the 80 original price! Actually Amazon's had some decent prices, hit or miss on sets too going into the early Holiday season but that'll change once some availability gets scarce.

@ Eric - that's kind of a love/hate thing I have too. In one of the stores, basically the entire left wall is licensed product - PotC, Star Wars, etc. And then there's Spongebob and Cars movie theme - just me, but I don't really see the appeal of the Cars sets. Growing up, Lego was Lego, cars was Matchbox/Hot Wheels. lol I think some of the sets are neat but what I really miss is that with the new sets, you get the one model and that's it. With the old sets, you used to get the 'feature' set, but then about 2 or 3 other ideas that you could try to copy and build. I think Lego's tried to keep with the tradition a little with the Creator lines where you have three different models or so (and then whatever else you can imagine). But some of those like the houses or modulars are so expensive.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 8:12:52 PM PST
bordersj2 I think I love you! I had no idea about the new Dinos so you just made my day! I've spent so much time hunting down the old Jurassic Park set. :D

and yeah I love the individual mini figures, I have to admit I've been switching around pieces to make people I know. XD and I do get extras of the female figures to switch around with the male heads. The punk rocker in particular looks great as a woman. They really are branching out more. :)

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 6:56:41 PM PST
MGS-II says:
For those wanting more female figures, you're missing the beauty of Legos. All you've got to do is swap male heads for female, and create your own. Anything a male Lego figure can do or be, a female can as well. Sites like brinklink.com sell practically every Lego part ever made, including female minifig heads. I've swapped and swiched minifig parts and created hundreds of unique figures.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 5:19:03 AM PST
legoman says:
They used to have sets for girls.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 5:25:20 AM PST
legoman says:
If you get on Lego.com you can buy Lego Bellville.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Toys forum (334 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Vendors Rip Off Amazon Customers 399 7 days ago
Amazon - Third party sellers are killing the deals! 829 8 days ago
Toy with Battlestar Galactica Complete Series 0 11 days ago
Sellers who cancel orders - unable to leave feedback for them 101 15 days ago
Thomas train plastic & wooden track compatible? 21 19 days ago
how to sell porcelain doll collection 3 21 days ago
Fraudulent Sellers on Amazon/Ebay - Buyers Beware !! 457 27 days ago
Why toys retard child development 0 Jun 24, 2014
need help understanding amazon better 0 Jun 23, 2014
70's toy set ? 21 Jun 16, 2014
Does it matter to you whether a toy or game is made in the USA? 594 Jun 11, 2014
I ordered a book 2 months ago and I didn't receive my order. They said that the item has left the US 2 days after I placed my order but I still haven't got it. 3 Jun 10, 2014

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Toys forum
Participants:  64
Total posts:  112
Initial post:  Oct 5, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 10, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions