Customer Discussions > Toys forum

Does it matter to you whether a toy or game is made in the USA?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 251-275 of 595 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 11:38:13 AM PDT
Maybe it's an outside inside joke but but if he's serious it's certainly not simple...

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 9:52:07 PM PDT
T. Short says:
Yes, it matters whether a toy is made in China or the USA. If we truly want to help each other out of this recession, it would be great to buy more Made In USA products. Assuming the quality is excellent, most Americans would love to see a product that proudly bears this on the packaging. It works for this mom of 3!

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 9:52:37 AM PDT
Dear E.V., were U able to find/buy the USA-made luggage?--Just curious.

Posted on May 7, 2012 3:53:03 PM PDT
Hey everyone. I've been following this discussion for a long time. It's been really helpful for me to know what everyone is thinking. Just a heads up: I'm launching the Made in USA online store, OHSAY USA, in about a month. Let me know if there are any items that you have been looking for. I have 50+ manufactures onboard so far and we have spend 6 months researching and picking products for the store. I'll let everyone know when we launch so you can give me some feedback. If you go to my website now you can sign-up to be notified when the store actually opens. Either way I really want feedback when we open.

Thanks,

Sherry Holdridge
OHSAY USA, CEO
ohsayusa.com

Posted on May 7, 2012 4:06:53 PM PDT
I would care, since there were some news saying that China put toxic chemicals in dishes and stuff..

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 6:06:56 PM PDT
When I'm looking to buy something and I'm on the fence - if I see Made in the USA, I usually go for it . I actually look at labels - means something to me.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 9:50:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2012 9:51:26 PM PDT
T. Short's post:
Yes, it matters whether a toy is made in China or the USA. If we truly want to help each other out of this recession, it would be great to buy more Made In USA products. Assuming the quality is excellent, most Americans would love to see a product that proudly bears this on the packaging. It works for this mom of 3!

Dear T.S.,

Your post is much appreciated...I just wish everyone could understand what is really happening to our country. We will do our best to keep making Outside the Box™ right here in the USA. It is people like you and your three children that keep us inspired.

Thanks and best regards,
Glenn

Posted on May 8, 2012 8:16:50 AM PDT
Jon says:
I try to buy American as much as possible. Quality to me is more important than price.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 5:03:30 PM PDT
Kevin Kelley says:
I hope you get this.

I make kites. Originally in the USA, then I sent them to China for manufacture. The kites sent to me were all high quality, and they continue to be so. What I did not count on was counterfeits.

I sell my kites, and the company that makes them sell knock-off's, exceptionally poor quality knockoff's. Same colours, same patterns, just exceptionally poor quality. Unfortunately, I lose an amazing amount of sales due to these counterfeits both in terms of actual kite sales, and in terms of consumer misconceptions.

AND, there is absolutely nothing I can do. I am not Sony, nor another huge company so . . .

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 12:11:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2012 12:15:43 AM PDT
Kevin,

Thank you for the "heads up". There is always the possibility that someone will try to sell knock-offs of any product. I doubt that we will ever have the game made in China (for many reasons). If someone wants to try and copy this game, good luck. It costs a lot to make it. As an example, the game contains hundreds of categories and a Master List of over 15,000 possible answers. The box top actually becomes the game board, so this not an easy game to manufacture. We are protected here in the US by copyright, patent and trademark law....so if they do copy it, they will not be able to sell many here in the US without legal troubles.

Best regards,
Glenn

Posted on May 13, 2012 12:47:06 PM PDT
I ALWAYS try to buy products made in the USA, I only wish more were!

Posted on May 13, 2012 12:50:39 PM PDT
I ALWAYS try to buy products made in the USA, I only wish more were!

Posted on May 13, 2012 5:20:06 PM PDT
DK says:
I Do look closely at where an item i purchase is made. I avoid buying made in china. It is sad to see companies that were manufacturing items in the USA switching to manufacturing overseas. I worry about quality and the toxics in overseas products.
If we keep supporting overseas production by buying it then I'm afraid we will be eating food made in china soon :( Read some food labels now since some food is coming from overseas. They don't have the regulations on toxics like we have in this country.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 6:33:55 PM PDT
Mitzie says:
Yes, it matters to me where an item is made. If I have a choice I will always buy made in the USA. It is one of the reasons I shop online so much. Most stores now a day are chains and the store "buyers" will only buy Asian imports to boost the corporate profits. One of the reasons I like shopping on Amazon is it is one of the only retail outlets where I can even find products made in the USA. Manufacturing creates more jobs than any other economic activity, the main reason the American economy is in such a tupor is because it is so easy and profitable to outsource. I rather pay a little more and keep Americans employed instead of paying more in taxes to cover unemployment and welfare.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 6:36:03 PM PDT
Mitzie says:
Glad to hear that happened to you. What comes around goes around.

Posted on May 16, 2012 11:22:41 AM PDT
Proud Mommy says:
Absolutely! I try to buy made in America toys for my son as much as possible.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 12:49:10 PM PDT
Mary Jo says:
Yes, it does matter to me whether or not a toy, game, clothing, etc. are made in the USA. I always look for and buy American made products. If I have to choose between a toy made in China that is less expensive and the same type of toy made in the USA that is more expensive, I will choose the one made in the USA. We must support our country !

Posted on May 18, 2012 9:44:11 AM PDT
Skrew China. Shoddy work by slave labor.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 10:26:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012 10:28:24 PM PDT
yeah most of the things made in china have lead and and other harmful chemicals. that's why is cheaper"

Posted on May 19, 2012 6:34:50 AM PDT
B. Blair says:
Could care less where it's made. As long as it's of good quality at a reasonable price.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 9:26:37 AM PDT
I'd venture to say you've never lost a job due to outsourcing.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 4:57:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2012 4:59:50 AM PDT
Mary Jo's post:
Yes, it does matter to me whether or not a toy, game, clothing, etc. are made in the USA. I always look for and buy American made products. If I have to choose between a toy made in China that is less expensive and the same type of toy made in the USA that is more expensive, I will choose the one made in the USA. We must support our country !
_______________________________________________________________________________________
My reply to Mary Jo's post:

Dear Mary Jo,

Your post is much appreciated, as are all those who took the time to weigh in and show their support for American made products...I just wish everyone could understand what is really happening to our country - not just jobs lost, but a weakened economy. Every dollar we spend overseas is a dollar someone here in the US could have had as a profit here to spend. Does China spend their money with us? Think about it. We spend our money with them (they make a huge profit and then lend us that money and we all pay interest on it). Where will this lead us? What kind of future is in store for our country? Where is the fairness? All I can say is that we will do our part by making Outside the Box™ right here in the USA. It is people like you that keep us inspired.

Thanks and best regards,
Glenn

Posted on May 23, 2012 9:32:02 AM PDT
J. Evans says:
I have to be honest, I seldom check country of manufacture prior to making a purchase. If there is an item that I need to buy, I buy it. Whether I need new socks or a new refrigerator, I will not put forth the extra effort and extra money to seek out and purchase those items made in USA (if they even make them in USA). That being said, I recently came across an article which I found rather disturbing:

"Apple iPads Would Cost $14,970 If Made In The U.S" link http://bit.ly/HRshB8

You read that correctly, that is not a typo. And I would be willing to bet that out of all of the patriotic flag wavers in this thread, not a single one of them would fork over that kind of money.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 10:08:15 AM PDT
K. Sanders says:
To our family, yes. We typically only buy made in USA items unless after lots of research we find what we are needing isn't made here. I am definitely going to look into your brother's game, especially if it is made in USA. I have a page where I list items I have found that are made here and will include it!

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 12:56:50 PM PDT
After reading the link, I noticed that several Uberfact followers dispute the amount.....however, think we all agree that it's not feasible to make electronics in the USA-- from the cost of importing necessary elements (not found in the USA) to the lack of financial support for start-up business from our own American banks, and unions unwilling to negotiate the "facts of life". Apologies for the long sentence.
‹ Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 24 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Toys forum (341 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Toys forum
Participants:  208
Total posts:  595
Initial post:  Mar 14, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 11, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions