Customer Discussions > Toys forum

Black Doll sells for $20 more than other dolls

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 276-300 of 335 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 11:15:08 AM PDT
ComicCollGal says:
I couldnt agree more... They need to have something they can relate to and identify with. When I was 4 or 5 years old I used to cry because I wanted to be white like all of my dolls. I thought of their light silky hair and light colored eyes to be superior to my black hair and dark skin. It may not seem important to some, but as a mother I make sure my little girl has dolls that resemble and reflect who she is, and who she can be.

Posted on May 14, 2012 6:31:41 AM PDT
D says:
Whenever the black doll is the variant, it is worth more because it is the variant. Variant's are worth more in the toy industry. If the white doll is the variant, it will be worth more. That is of course if they make a white variant of a black doll. If the variant's skin color was green, transparent or purple(which actually happens with toys), that would be worth more too. If a doll's primary run has it with black skin color, it will not cost more.

I thought this was common knowledge?

Posted on May 14, 2012 6:48:38 AM PDT
H. O'Nan says:
Honestly, I've noticed that African American dolls are mostly cheaper than any other nationality in regards of dolls. It's not pulling a random race card. It's a just a true and simple fact that some people are too blind or naive to notice.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 11:51:27 AM PDT
LENORE says:
I have a large amount of black Barbie dolls and will gladly sell them to you no higher than the equivalent white dolls.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 2:11:22 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 2:19:46 PM PDT
It isn't politics, it's simple supply and demand. You can argue any scenario is racist, if it cost more, they are over charging, if it cost less, they are saying black is worth less, if they cost the same you could argue that it is wrong to treat them as equal, much as our education system has done. If there is a limited supply of the black dolls, and they price them the same as white, they may sell out way to.fast, then you get the people complaining that there are none, and that is racist. There is no winning in this scenario, there are always those who dislike one version or another...

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 8:05:38 AM PDT
DisplacedMic says:
How on earth is that unfair?

this is nonsense. why should the price of one item go down because the price of another goes down? you can gloss over basic economics with "supply and demand and all" but the fact remains supply and demand IS all. it's nothing to do with politics.

trying to fix prices so that both artificially coloured pieces of plastic cost the same is politics.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 10:41:58 PM PDT
J. Eaton says:
@DisplacedMic

"...I am not denying the existence of bigotry - yesterday's primary here in north carolina proves that hate is alive and well - but it has nothing to do with the doll industry."

I do hope you're not referring to Amendment One, because that had absolutely nothing to do with race as well as the doll industry.

As for your first paragraph, I am in total agreement.

Posted on May 22, 2012 4:20:26 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 6:25:13 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 22, 2012 6:25:26 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 2:50:16 PM PDT
ok what do you call it than?

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 7:57:33 PM PDT
Alastreana says:
The companies producing products aren't concerned with making political statements/being racist. They are out to make money and that is their concern so when a product is higher in cost compared to other products it's because of supply and demand and what is profitable for the company.

Posted on May 22, 2012 8:01:42 PM PDT
Alastreana says:
If having a black doll cost more than a white doll feels discriminating, then is it discrimination that she wants her daughter playing with black dolls over white dolls?

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 9:42:41 PM PDT
DisplacedMic says:
I think you missed my point. I absolutely was referring to Amendment One. Bigotry isn't just about colour. You have every bit as much control over your sexual preference as you do over the amount of melanin in your skin.

Posted on May 25, 2012 6:30:15 PM PDT
If you all think that black dolls are worth more then white dolls go hunting in stores like walmart target toys r us in NH, VT, MN, CT, RI you will find all you want LOL!! shop till you drop!

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 9:17:29 PM PDT
Daisy says:
Did you miss the part where MommaXetc. pointed out that the black doll was actually LESS expensive than the white doll? The presented "issue" is bogus - unless you now want to claim that the lower cost of the black doll somehow reflects racism.

Posted on May 27, 2012 9:20:07 PM PDT
I believe that all dolls should have translucent skin, eyes and hair. That would eliminate this pesky problem.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 9:30:36 PM PDT
yup, you can claim any direction would be racist. I'm not saying racism doesn't exist anymore, but when people blatantly call anything racist, they really only hurt any forward progression, as it cheapens the meaning of it. You create a boy who cried wolf mindset when you call everything racist, rather than looking at the scenario and thinking maybe it's just a shortage/surplus of inventory.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 4:29:14 PM PDT
You are so right!

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 4:31:07 PM PDT
You are so right!!!!! Every one is racist esspecislly where I live in Plano

Posted on May 30, 2012 4:41:19 PM PDT
What is with RACISM!??!!??!?! The other day in my class, the teacher called Colton by the name of a black guy and Colton is white. He starts touching his skin and he goes

Posted on May 31, 2012 2:05:09 PM PDT
Jenna says:
Just to add my 2 cents, black parents often go out of their way to find a doll that looks like their daughters because it adds a sense of pride and self-esteem. The standard of beauty in America is not a black girl, when you turn on TV and look at most major magazine covers, you see women with white skin and straight hair. When that's all you see, you internalize it to mean that THEY are what's beautiful and YOU are not. So it is VERY important for black parents to reinforce in their daughters that they are beautiful too. Just because some people want to pretend that race is no longer an issue, doesn't make it so.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 2:28:23 PM PDT
DisplacedMic says:
but what does that have to do with the topic of this thread?

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 3:12:34 PM PDT
No one is saying racial issues no longer exist, but the point here is the cost is not.racism, there are higher priced black dolls, and clearance ones, it is about the size of inventory, not prejudice...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 8:57:31 AM PDT
Nicole says:
Actually little girls love to play with dolls that look like them. When I was small there were only blonde dolls and I desperately wanted one with brown hair like mine. I was 10 and really too old to play with dolls before I got one, but I'm 44 and I still have her. I let my own daughter play with her. That being said I also desperately wanted a brown skinned doll (as did my daughter) but my Dad would not let me have one because he thought I would grow up and marry a black man if I had one. Racism is still real and while I do think the original post may have been written by someone unfamiliar with economic principles, it isn't nice or even accurate to say that racism is all in her imagination.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Toys forum (338 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Toys forum
Participants:  198
Total posts:  335
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2010
Latest post:  3 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions