Customer Discussions > Toys forum

Join my boycott of Searchlight Comics

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-43 of 43 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 9:07:10 AM PDT
DisplacedMic says:
I agree with that. Except nobody got "ripped off" here.

Posted on May 12, 2012 11:53:00 AM PDT
No one has been ripped off, honestly. The seller states the price and you can't say it was clicked for her son...you have to choose shipping.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 4:11:46 PM PDT
And no one got ripped off, there is a reason I choose super saver shipping or the cheapest option available, I don't mind waiting for a purchase, others like to pay higher fees to get it faster, that is their right, when checking out, it shows you the total several times, I often look at that point, and realize I'm spending more than I was planning to and pull a few items out of my cart and look at the new total, its not rocket science, and if a child does not have this mindset yet, keep then away from online shopping...

Posted on May 16, 2012 9:42:00 PM PDT
Robawsm says:
So to the original title of the post - nope. I will not join your boycott, nor shall I support it or you. Look before you leap is the lesson of the day here.

Posted on May 16, 2012 10:47:29 PM PDT
nobody got "ripped off"

Posted on May 17, 2012 7:00:04 AM PDT
Robert says:
I just want to thank all the people for supporting Searchlight Comics in this situation. It means a lot to me.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 7:30:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2012 7:55:59 AM PDT
shiloh sales says:
Okay, so the customers son ordered the item with a quicker delivery at an additional expense to the buyer. I looked at the Amazon Marketplace return policy. It said the seller must accept returns but I did not see anywhere in the policy that says the seller does not have to return the original high shgipping charge. In some cases a seller can charge a restocking charge but wouldn't the seller have to show that in his sellers/store profile?

Can anyone show us anywhere in Amazon's Marketplace written policies/guidelines that the seller would not have to return the original shipping charge?

Has the buyer requested to return the product? If so, what were the results.

Posted on May 17, 2012 8:26:47 AM PDT
Robert says:
A return was never requested. I have no problem returning the item but I can't refund the shipping charge because of the costs. I did mention that I can't refund the shipping charges in the e-mail reply I sent.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 1:21:26 PM PDT
It also doesn't say they have to, I could see if the item were broken, or if Amazon glitched and were to blame (and then Amazon should reimburse the seller) but this is the buyer's fault, why should the seller lose money because of that?

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 9:39:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2012 10:33:30 AM PDT
shiloh sales says:
Most sellers will confirm that awhile back, they received an email from Amazon saying that their return policy must be equal to or better than Amazon's return policy.

Maybe its in a grey area and should be defined by Amazon, but this is what I found in Amazons general return policy. Has anybody found anything different in writing?

You may return new, unopened items sold and fulfilled by Amazon within 30 days of delivery for a full refund (I don't think full refund = minus original shipping charges). Items should be returned in their original product packaging. We also pay the return shipping costs if the return is a result of our error.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 10:47:22 AM PDT
DisplacedMic says:
I'm not a seller but in my opinion "full refund" absolutely does mean minus original shipping charges.

Why should you take a $70 loss because some idiot doesn't know how to read properly, or worse, monitor his kid's internet activity?

Posted on May 19, 2012 10:57:08 AM PDT
J. Hailey says:
Exactly, the seller has nothing to do with the shipping. That is a service that you pay for through the shipping company. You paid for 2nd day air delivery and that is what you got. It's like going to get a massage and then returning, claiming that your kid made you go down there and get a massage, and asking for a refund. The service of 2nd day delivery was granted, why do you need this refunded? If you don't like the product, ask for a refund and suck up the negative $60. Next time, read before you buy and keep your kids off the computer.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 11:55:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2012 12:03:16 PM PDT
shiloh sales says:
Buyers don't see this but as a seller, when we go into the refund screen the price shown includes the price of the item plus the original shipping amount. If we want to give a partial refund instead of a full refund, we need to go into a different screen and type in the amount we want to refund instead of the total price the buyer was charged. In that screen there is a pull down list and we need to select from a list of reasons why we are giving a partial refund. I do not see any reason on that pull down list that resembles letting a seller keep the original shipping price.

In my opinion, Amazon needs to better define in their return policies/guyidelines if the term "full refund" includes the original shipping cost even if it is next day or 2nd day shipping. Amazon is not perfect but they are trying to make the customer buying experience better.

Even though the seller did nothing wrong, this may be a situation we may need to watch out for in the future.

Posted on May 19, 2012 1:52:36 PM PDT
There are times when sellers need to refund shipping, such as when items arrive late or are lost. Full refund applies to the product, since that is all you are returning. Shipping is a service and can not be returned.

Posted on May 20, 2012 7:56:03 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 20, 2012 9:35:32 PM PDT]

Posted on May 22, 2012 8:06:43 PM PDT
Jeff M says:
I absolutely agree that shipping/freight costs should NOT be included in the refund--or at least expedited shipping/freight.

Imagine this abuse--I want something next day--but do not want to pay the $$$$ for this. What is stopping me from ordering 2 of the same items. ONE --at next day--and the other at free standard.

I get the first item--the next day---and then-2 weeks later--when the duplicate item comes in--I begin the refund process--returning the UNOPENED second item but filing it with the first package in order to get a refund on the higher freight.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 10:07:55 PM PDT
DisplacedMic says:
i have returned items to Amazon for reasons of "buyer's remorse" and i've always had to pay for shipping.

I returned a saw that i didn't like a few months ago- there was nothing technically wrong with it - it was just a crappy saw in my opinion. i had to pay to ship it back, and this wasn't a third party seller, it was Amazon. i think this is perfectly fair.

If the saw arrived broken or was otherwise defective i would expect to be compensated for the full cost of the item, including shipping, or sent an immediate replacement - and Amazon has always met those expectations whenever i've had problems with an item or order.

That's Amazon's policy - go check for yourself if you want. Go into your account and go to My Orders. Pick an item you ordered recently - select return and go through the process of filling out the return info. Obviously don't finalize it, but there absolutely is a drop down that asks you why you are returning it. I can't remember the exact wordage - but there are 8 or 9 options ranging from "Item is defective", "Item was not packaged properly", "Item is not what I ordered" to "No longer wanted/needed"

if you select defective item or anything in that category, Amazon covers the shipping. If you select any of the buyer's remorse categories, they give you an estimate of shipping costs and inform you that you will be refunded when the item is received.

Sometimes they will refund you when you provide tracking info, other times they will refund you right away.

There is actually an "unauthorized purchase" option that looks like it will instantly refund you. No idea if that includes shipping or not but that doesn't really sound like what happened here, now does it?

If nothing else Amazon sends out an email within 1 minute of placing an order with ALL of the details of that order. This can be changed or even cancelled all the way up until the point when the item has been shipped.

That's 3 safety nets right there just from Amazon alone:

Monitor your Amazon account password and access
Monitor your email
Monitor your Amazon orders directly

Not to mention general monitoring of an 11 year old on the internet.

there really is no reason shipping should be refunded in this situation or any like it. And quite frankly the sense of entitlement necessary for someone to believe they have been wronged in this scenario is staggering.

Posted on Nov 30, 2014 5:27:18 AM PST
Dexter says:
Looks like someone is too busy passing the blame to use this as a teaching moment for their son to read the fine print.
I think $70 is rather steep even for next day shipping and the seller likely made/makes some of their money off of inflated shipping charges (i.e. it costs them less to ship than they charge) but their son did choose that option.

Teach him to be discerning not a whiner.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Toys forum (340 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Toys forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  Apr 30, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions