Customer Discussions > Toys forum

Amazon growing in con artists like ebay?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 876-900 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 14, 2011 10:37:43 AM PST
C. Abma says:
Personally, if you can't spare the 5 seconds to google other prices, you deserve to get charged that much.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2011 7:34:21 PM PST
Java Jams says:
BOTH - not as described AND damaged AND the seller was very rude.

I agree, only a SLEAZY seller would charge a restocking fee on the return of a defetive item - however, that IS what Amazon's A-Z Guarantee said on the email to me.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 8:21:16 PM PST
duckles says:
Actually Dwight you are responding to some old re-posted spam that "Cynthia" has posted many times before. Regarding poor storage conditions, I saw a reference to a newspaper article about one of Amazon's warehouses being like a oven in the summer so poor storage conditions can happen anywhere. I had a few item stored in my garage this summer before shipping them to Amazon. It's not really climate controlled but because it's fairly well insulated and with a second story above it the temperatures stay within a quite reasonable range.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 10:36:53 PM PST
duckles says:
Anna we don't know your seller name so anyone commenting puts their own bias into their comments. Have you tried what I said before? Call again and keep trying to go up the management line until you get to someone with the power to make something happen NOW. There was a gal who used to post here who said she actully had Bezos' direct phone number to call when she couldn't get a problem solved lower down the chain.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2011 12:00:18 PM PST
As far as your rude seller, you likely won't get anything more than an apology from Amazon.

I understand that Amazon mentioned that the seller had a "right" to charge a restocking fee.

A few questions for clarification:
- How were the dolls different than described?
- Did you return them to the seller?
- If so, did the seller *actually* charge a restocking fee?

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 11:51:34 AM PST
Nothing about this is new. My kids are in their 30s and the same thing went on before Amazon with Cabbage Patch and Madame Alexander dolls. If you didn't get them by September you had to go to small retailers who might have some and pay 25-200% more than the original price. Is this gouging ? No. Those people that can afford the higher price will get it. If you can't afford the price so be it, wealth does have its benefits. After all you don't have Lexus if you can't afford it.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 9:30:29 PM PST
Josie Cat says:
Be wary of the people who post here, as the majority are resellers and will try to double talk you to death. In this toy forum, many will try to stifle your opinion or dissuade you from posting further legitimate complaints against shady marketplace resellers and their bad business practices. They will try every trick in the book, including degrading comments, insults and twisted logic. Resellers immediately start whining as soon as dismayed Amazon shoppers voice concern with the shady, dishonest practices occurring.

At one time, "Markus Dantinne" of NEW-Distributing "store" selling GEOTRAX CARS TURBO DOC RC for $42.99, while Fisher-Price was selling it for $26.00. and "duckles" of DVBS "store" selling Transformers Deluxe Movie Collection - Battle Blade Bumblebee for $17.49, while Hasbro was selling it for $6.99.Comparing their prices with other online outlets, one can see a pattern of price gouging that can entrap your average consumer.

The fact that resellers can and do manipulate prices at will (without any forethought to what is fair to a shopper), and knowingly price gouge items, is reason for concern. Be very careful, because Amazon does nothing about this. Try your best to avoid the price gougers.

We all know we live in a free country. That's the beauty of it; one person has the legal right to sell an item at a ridiculously high price, but then you and I have the right to complain about it. Word of mouth is the most powerful tool a shopper has in a free market. Use it!

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 10:32:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2011 11:12:32 PM PST
duckles says:
You know "Cynthia" you are absolutely correct...that is as far as you go. What you forget to mention is that Hasbro had it on clearance sale and the price was plus shipping and even tax while the Amazon listing was FBA and normally shipped for free. But I will allow that anyone who found that not well advertised site would have gotten the toy for less, maybe $12.50-$13.00. So I was gouging about $4-$5. The other thing you forget to mention is that MY price was the LOWEST price of MANY sellers and that after I sold out (200+ of them) the price rose dramatically. (Hasbro was sold out as well.) I have to laugh, maybe I should have saved some. The current asking price for the item is $39.99 FBA. More than double. See listing ASIN B003A6EMF0 Hmm, I still have one with crunched packaging but the toy looks ok. I should put it up for sale. Thanks for reminding me. Oh, you might want to look at my CURRENT seller feedback. Just go to that ASIN and take a peek. Until my item sells of course.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 10:34:32 AM PST
Dwight says:
Yeah, duckles, you should stop GOUGING people for $4. Cynthia is clueless and she keeps trying to make the same lame claim on the 2 other threads arguing about this. Merry Christmas.

btw, Wow 200 of them? Do you buy directly from a manufacturer? My sales are a fraction of what you guys are doing, but then I just buy from thrift stores and the occasional retailer on clearance, so my inventory is nothing like yours. (and yet I'm still lumped into that "sleazy" reseller category because I agree with you guys)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2011 8:42:25 AM PST
sandawana56 says:
Cycnthia G. you should keep in mind that the people you claim are gouging you are regular Americans trying to make a living in a terrible economy. I'm sure you don't work for free. Why should they?

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 8:59:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2011 10:20:39 PM PST
Josie Cat says:
Markus Dantinne" of NEW-Distributing "store" & "duckles" of of DVBS "store" post often in these toy forums and sell toys as Amazon resellers. They vehemently defend reseller practices more than any other reseller in these toy threads. Be wary....

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 9:12:53 PM PST
Josie Cat says:
I've always questioned second hand, resold items being called "new" by resellers (the toys being sold by those other than Amazon LLC). These toys, bought off store shelves or other online sites, are stored in someone's house/garage/basement or attic in less than good environmental conditions. They now have had an owner beyond the retail store they bought it from. They probably did not take too much care in their storage and handling. The items are then resold as though they are factory new. If the packaging is in bad shape, dented and damaged, rest assured that the item within will have issues as well. Many re-sellers reclose packages with heat gun glue to try to pass it off as a new item. Be wary!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2011 10:14:04 PM PST
Dwight says:
Cynthia G.
"QUEEN OF THE CUT AND PASTE" on multiple threads.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2011 7:44:09 AM PST
I had considered exactly that, but am unwilling to pay a rediculous "10%" restocking fee! WTF is with that anyway?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2011 7:48:49 AM PST
I agree and wont be doing any more shopping from "selllers" on Amazon,as is my right!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2011 7:53:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2011 8:01:01 AM PST
Ice King says:
The 10% restocking fee is so that they still make money on something if the buyer returns it. It's yet another thing that makes them worse than buying something from a legitimate retailer.
Then when they turn around and return it to the store they bought it themselves they get their money back plus the BS 10% restocking fee.
So much for all that "risk" they claim to take that supposedly entitles them to all the money they want.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 7:58:23 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 19, 2011 8:51:16 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 8:05:54 AM PST
To all the Complainers: http://youtu.be/-gb0mxcpPOU

Happy Holidays !

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 8:24:55 AM PST
Cynthia, this is a quote from you in another topic---"It is up to us, the shoppers, to protect ourselves against shady resellers. Shop around, check other internet sites and compare prices before you buy anything from a reseller. If you can't find it anywhere else but here, wait for it to be restocked at a fair price (before paying two, three or four times what you should pay). Buying it here at an inflated price, will only support these unfair practices and give them reason to exist. "

THIS I will agree with. THAT is YOUR right. And that is what you SHOULD do. Now, if those prices don't come down until after the holidays it is also YOUR choice to decide if you should go with your plan B on what you wanted to buy. Though I still say it is the seller's right to list their products at whatever price they want, it is your choice to wait to see if someone else lists it cheaper a few days/weeks later. That is the beauty of free choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2011 9:19:01 AM PST
Rob says:
You can leave Amazon if you like, or you could just check the source of the item on Amazon. They do a good service in letting others sell through them at whatever price they like. Their own prices are usually reasonable though not always the lowest. I guess if you can't bother to check that the seller is Amazon itself, then you might want to try somewhere else more tailored to your needs.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 11:33:15 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 19, 2011 11:52:48 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 11:35:21 AM PST
anthony says:
Besides Amazon is shopped at for 1 reason having a greater inventory and hard to find items the target and walmart could never compete with also they do have great deals the. Think of Amazon like ebay but much safer in regards to real cons/scams.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 11:44:52 AM PST
Josie Cat says:
Remember to always check a resellers refund policy before buying anything from them. Some of them are not geared towards helping the consumer. There can also be very high restocking fees. If it sounds like they want you to jump through hoops just to return an item, don't buy from them (or you'll regret it later, when it is too late). Be wary and read their policy (just click on the reseller name or logo to see their information); it is not the same policy that Amazon offers (Amazon has no restocking fees)!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2011 12:27:10 PM PST
Welcome back; it's been a while.

As I have mentioned many times, I support sellers' right to offer their personal property for sale at whatever price they chose.

I understand that you disagree with me, but that's no reason to falsely accuse me of being a price gouger or a rip-off artist.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 12:46:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2011 12:58:54 PM PST
Josie Cat says:
USED personal property at outrageous prices...amen...

Oh..ps...been busy...back on patrol...
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Toys forum
Participants:  545
Total posts:  1437
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2008
Latest post:  Aug 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 39 customers

Search Customer Discussions