Customer Discussions > Toys forum

How many people on here are buying toys for themselves? XD Calling all Collectors

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 211 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 7:33:00 PM PDT
Awww... that's sweet! I bet those kids are really grateful too since Pokemon is making another comeback. :)

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 9:06:56 PM PDT
Curiosity says:
I'm a 31 year old female and I have a pretty extensive collection of Pullip dolls. I'm also way into Thomas the Tank Engine Wooden Railway. I have no kids, but most kids would probably have a field day if they saw how much Thomas I have!

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 9:48:32 PM PDT
29 years old and I have bought the KidRobot Gorillaz figs and just splurged on the Portal Device replica.

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 9:49:38 PM PDT
C. Tellez says:
23 yr old. Love collecting stuff comic book/sci fi related. Favorite villain is galactus... its true you can only get the good stuff as an adult. It is a little weird though when i see kids playing with the same board game that im currently addicted to *heroclix* Anyways nice topic for a post... Glad its still alive.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 7:21:03 PM PDT
gerdesbriant says:
I buy action figures constantly. I beat my prime membership to the ground. These are for my own collection. Sometimes I wonder if sellers realize this when they pachage items an bend cardboard backings.. etc...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 8:53:04 PM PDT
Sometimes it can't be helped, I've bought straight from source before, and the boxes had a crease, much less if it was bought from a store where kids have manhandled the merchandise. Then again, a lot of shippers just don't care.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 9:07:03 PM PDT
Collecting for 25 years. Once my friends started outgrowing their G.I. Joes and Star Wars toys I'd ask their Moms if they wanted to donate them. I had accumulated an enormous action figure collection for free. By 1995 my Mom's garage was near capacity. Then came eBay...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 12:06:14 AM PDT
Wearbe says:
Yeah, me too. I've bought a ton of stuff direct from Hasbro and some of the WORST boxes and cardbacks I've ever received (from ANY source) came from them. The best unpunched cardbacks I've ever gotten came from Wal-mart, believe it or not.

Kyzer: that was a brilliant idea you had getting your friends' mothers to donate the old stuff to you. Out of my entire circle of childhood friends I'm the only one who still has all my original Star Wars and G.I. Joe toys. I wonder if any of them even know where their old toys went... Now I'm going to have to Facebook them and find out.

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 5:58:36 PM PDT
I buy them for wall decorations. One wall I have covered in Movie Maniacs, Hell Raiser, Macfarlane Monster sets and rock stars. Another wall I have all Simpsons and Predator. Next to my computer are my MOC Visionaries and Supernaturals. Next to them are my movie themed Minimates. Scattered about I have Kill Bill, classic Aliens and Kick Ass.

They look cool and all it takes to hang them is a single push pin.

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 5:15:33 PM PDT
M. Harrison says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 5:45:13 PM PDT
How is it any different from Baseball cards or Comics? People collect what they enjoy and we enjoy action figures.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 5:53:32 PM PDT
Everyone finds joy in life in their own way, we hurt noone by doing this, what is disturbing about people doing something that brings happiness?

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 6:02:54 PM PDT
Also I'm assuming you don't realize there is a huge market for adults, many companies design with adults in mind, and if you don't allow yourself some joy in life, what's the point in living?

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 7:10:27 PM PDT
Fanny Parker says:
I buy myself toys all year long. From books to video games to tons of yarn and beads that strike my fancy. I have lived through some serious situations, and am now on SSD and in lots of pain from time to time so I feel that it's my job now to keep myself interested and happy! Christmas usually means getting myself something larger like a new video game system. Or a new bed, or living room furniture. I would NOT know what to do with myself if I lost my (I admit it!) childish side. I'll be 61 this year, and am too young mentally for this body. Mark there is NOTHING wrong with collecting or buying oneself things to make yourself happy and you said what you said very, very well! Dear God M. Harrison, I sincerely hope you were kidding when you said this disturbs you. I find it more disturbing that someone might actually say that and MEAN it! I have a neighbor who has nothing to do and made me his most current target. Spying on me, destroying my fence so he can come over when he wants, oh and much worse things! (I did finally get him on video). If this man had something like a hobby to occupy his time I would be the furthest thing from his thoughts. M. Harrison now I'm curious as to why you would find this disturbing? It isn't a psychological issue, my oldest son is a fine man, father and husband and very secure in himself and he still has some of his action figures from long ago. He will be able to show his son what he used to play with, and maybe they'll play some Star Wars together.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 8:44:02 AM PDT
bordersj2 says:
lol - how sanctimonious, and what a boring life this person must have. I still like video games and can look at a toy like legos and think - that's pretty cool & creative. When people get older, you dn't stop living. Some people just like to collect toys. Other people's 'toys' may be golf clubs or experiences (jet-skiing on vacations, snorkeling, etc.) Maybe the 'toy' for some people fortunate is an expensive television or a car.

THe point is, people are different & have different hobbies. As long as it isn't harming anyone I see no problem with it.

Posted on May 1, 2012 9:09:34 AM PDT
Harrison is an obvious troll, the best way to deal with him is to simply ignore him. Keep calm and play with toys! *just bought two new dollies* ^_^

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 9:50:27 PM PDT
Lego,
Well, I'll be 68 in June & am building the Fire Pumper Truck from CD I got on Ebay - 857 parts. I was a female draftsperson designer in real life. Santa brought me an Erector Set in the red metal box & a doll. Sure hated that doll, but loved the red box. :)
Elaine

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 6:11:30 AM PDT
I love your post. This is the kind of thing that can get a little kid thinking happily about "what do you want to be when you grow up"!

Posted on May 2, 2012 4:14:09 PM PDT
I buy anything I think is cute or cool. Things like Pokemon, Monster High, Bratz, Hello Kitty. I'm a currently 24 year old woman who is living a second childhood due to the fact my first one was awful.

In case anyone is wondering how and why, my older sister would bully me, and I was already being bullied at school. My parents got rid of her by sending her to my Grandma.

Luckily, this whole collecting thing is my hobby, because I live with autism and unfortunately, I cannot handle the stress of an 8 hour day. So I have to do something to keep from moping around the house.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 8:26:47 PM PDT
brian o says:
I hate when they do that it makes me so angry....I'm 28 years old and love collecting transformers and I don't want the cards bent when I'm paying a good amount of money....u think they would hey he might not be opening it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 10:03:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2012 11:14:56 AM PDT
I don't understand why you find it so disturbing that adults collect toys - or even play with them. It's perfectly normal. Always do whatever makes you happy - as long as you're not hurting others or yourself.

I collect vintage brass HO scale model trains made by E. Suydam & Co., (I also collect die-cast model cars) and I'm in my 50's. I'm NOT going to stop anytime, soon.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 11:04:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2012 11:06:31 AM PDT
J. Batista says:
I'm 26 years old and i'm buying parts for an rc airplane, besides that i have two helicopters and a car i do think that if the people decides to spend money in toys that means that the person is expressing him-herselves dessires because we all know that very deep in our minds we are childrens.

Posted on May 4, 2012 6:10:53 AM PDT
Im in my 40's. I have a large collection of comics - most of them I purchased from the time I got into them when I was a kid. I dont think I am a "collector", since I just buy what I want to read and I like to fill in the gaps of the series I have. I rarely buy any new comics since I think the art and the stories are just horrible, I stick with what I already have and just try to complete that.

As far as the figures, I have always wanted to get a set of the original Justice Society and a set of everyone who was an Avenger (from the original first series). I do not keep them in their boxes and I do not have much of an interest if there is a certificate or comic with the figure...I just look to see if the figure actually looks like the character I want.

For instance I just saw what was suppose to be the original Batman from Detective 27...at first I was going to get it, but when I looked at it and saw how bulked up it was I passed.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 9:39:42 AM PDT
I'd call you a collector, there is no set parameter for what it takes to be one. I don't leave figures in packaging, unless I plan to sell it at some later date, I don't care about the supposed value I lose, I like having displays on my shelves. I also collect comics, mostly new stuff, my only older ones I search for are green lantern, batman, and nightwing.

Unless it harms another's life, do what you love, what makes you happy, and never let other's opinions on what you do stop you from being who you are.

Posted on May 4, 2012 8:15:21 PM PDT
Xeokym says:
I'm late to the party, I guess. I'll confess some things that I usually keep secret - I'm 44 years old, female, & I have been collecting toys since the mid-80s. I started off collecting Godaikin robots (Japanese Chogokin - die cast metal - robots), because when I was a kid I wanted them so badly, but they were too expensive (in the 70s & early 80s). Plus, my mom absolutely would NOT allow me to have any BOY'S toys, aside from a few Micronauts sets my grandparents bought for me. I liked certain cartoons when I was younger: Robotech, Starblazers, Voltron & Battle of the Planets, but it wasn't until I was a little older that I realized they were all Japanese. So I guess that's how I got into anime. I got into Dragonball in 1989, and my cousins & I would go to sci fi & Star Trek conventions in Manhattan all the time to get access to anime & anime-related toys & models...I was often the only female there!

Of course I always loved & collected Transformers & Diaclones. Then I collected all the Lock-bots & Gold Litan guys. I bought hundreds of Gundam models, DBZ figures, and eventually any kind of Bandai combiner robots. My cousins & I would spend whole weekends watching raw anime & playing video games.

I do collect some girls stuff, but I guess my greatest attraction is any kind of gestalt robot. I have quite a few Soul of Chogokin sets, which are adult collector "toys," not meant for kids at all. I'm still trying to find another collector around my age, into the same general stuff, who is also female. I know they're out there, but we are few & far between, it would seem. I have my entire loft dedicated to my toys, figures & models, plus all my video game systems I've ever owned all still hooked up.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Toys forum
Participants:  137
Total posts:  211
Initial post:  Sep 24, 2009
Latest post:  Oct 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 28 customers

Search Customer Discussions