Customer Discussions > Toys forum

Does it matter to you whether a toy or game is made in the USA?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 595 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 14, 2012 4:27:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 7, 2012 3:57:56 PM PDT
I need your honest feedback on this question. I am trying to help my brother with a fairly new board game he has invented. Sales are going quite well. Currently the game is made in the USA (which costs more to produce than in China). He does not want to have to make the game in China if at all possible. The question is: Does it matter to you whether a toy or game is made in the USA? In other words, do you mind paying more for a game that is made in the USA?

P.S. Since I have started this discussion, I have been receiving a number of emails asking about the game and requesting more information. I am happy to make it easier for those of you who wanted this information. The game is called Outside the Box™ and is not available in any stores. However, it is available on the internet and, of course, right here on Amazon. Here is the Amazon page: Outside the Box - The NEW fast-thinking team and party game! (This is the premier limited first edition and is personally signed by the inventor.) By the way, if you like the fact that the game is proudly made in the USA, please feel free to "like it" by clicking the "like" button. Thank you all so much for your kind words of support. It is so hard to be the small fish in a sea of very big sharks.

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 8:09:17 AM PDT
shiloh sales says:
To me, quality is more important than price.

How much less does it cost to make in China, then how much is customs and shipping charges. Factoring in all of that, is it really that much cheaper? I understand that all toys coming in from China must have some sort of certificate of complience (about childs safety?) that adds to the cost.

This is just rumor buy I understand that chinese factories want orders of something like qty of 10,000 items made because of the low cost?

My opinion = Vietnam is going to be the up and coming country to manufacturer things for companies in the USA. I've already seen some products come out of Vietnam and they appear to be better quality.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 8:39:10 AM PDT
Linz says:
If there is an option I would buy something made in the USA rather than china. I pretty much avoid china products if at all possible.

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 10:01:43 AM PDT
R. Tapp says:
I'll be honest with you, I don't even think about where the things I buy are made. I also look for quality over price... However if there are two items one made in USA and the other in China, same quality... However the China item is cheaper... I'm buying Chinese.

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 10:34:56 AM PDT
M. Karazim says:
If I'm in the market for something, toy, game cookware, furniture, etc., and there is more than one option available, I will always try to determine where the items I'm comparing are manufactured. I'll give you an example: I was searching for wooden alphabet blocks for my son, and there were a few different sets. I narrowed it down to two sets, one made in the U.S. out of sustainable wood and one made in China. The quality does matter in this case, and so does the price, but I am willing to pay the $20 more for the U.S.A. set over the set made in China, just because of where it's made. I also payed over $70 more for my crib mattress (double the price) than I would have paid for the other mattress, just so I could buy from a U.S. manufacturer. So yes, it does matter. To me anyway. I don't know if it matters to everyone. I would personally rather have fewer things that are made here in the U.S. and better quality than more things that are cheaper and lesser quality. It's also a nice perk when you are marketing the game if you can say it's made in the U.S.A. That gets my attention every time and has been known to change my mind.

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 10:56:23 AM PDT
MK,

Thank you for your honest post. You are the type of customer that a made in the U.S.A. company wants. I think more and more Americans are waking up to the fact that most of our manufacturing jobs will never return if we don't do something about it. By the way, your Amazon profile is quite impressive with 159 reviews and a high review ranking (no wonder you are an Amazon Vine Voice!) I hope someday perhaps you will get a chance to review my brother's game.

Best regards,
Glenn

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 2:56:04 PM PDT
Betty Boop says:
Yes!! One of my criteria is whether or not something is made in USA. Chances are, if it is NOT, I will not buy it. There are too many other options out there on which to spend my discretionary income. I "need" nothing on which I am spending money through Amazon or the like. I hope this is of help. Good luck to your brother and his new game. Make sure he markets that his product is proudly made in USA!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 6:55:29 PM PDT
I'm so tired of American ingenuity, whether it's toys, fashion or whatever, being taken out of the USA. We're a middle class family and make every effort to buy only USA-made, especially toys, clothing and furniture. We don't mind paying a little more. If your brother's company (and others like it) send production overseas, who will be left to buy anything? Jobholders spend more money than the unemployed.

Now that you've got us interested, which game is it?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 7:04:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2012 7:04:38 PM PDT
Thank you Heidi. He does not want to send it overseas for the exact reasons you mentioned. Since you asked: The game is a new team and party game called "Outside the Box."

Best regards,
Glenn

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 9:32:03 PM PDT
D.Johnson says:
Absolutely! Our family has really made a point to buy American. My 4 & 7 year old children have even started looking for the "Made in USA" print on anything they want us to buy. Especially over the holidays, we noticed a lot of manufacturers changing up the location on packaging and the wording of where the product comes from. As parents of 3 children, all of the recalls over the last several years have opened our eyes and made us to be more cautious of what makes up our products and where they are coming from. Best wishes for a successful venture!

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 9:07:56 AM PDT
Lyn says:
I as a seller have tried selling toys made in America, nobody buys them, I will sell 10,000 of an item made in China to every one made in America. why? because the cheap price is all that matters to people. And the one made in America product I sell, I will receive bad feedback saying it was too expensive.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 10:33:07 AM PDT
Casey says:
It does matter to me. I look at the labels to figure out where something is made, but more and more, there is NO option for what I'm looking for that is made in the U.S., at least at the stores available to me in central TX. Sometimes the made-here item is worse quality than those made elsewhere, which should be cause for embarrassment for that company. I will pay more for an item made here, but not necessarily twice as much. I would ask you to continue looking for ways to decrease costs without sacrificing too much quality and continue manufacturing in the U.S. if at all possible. Many times, quality is more of an attitude on the part of the staff, rather than spending more money. It doesn't really take more money to do a good job of putting things together, tightening the screw without stripping it, etc., just a good attitude of pride in doing the job well and feeling appreciated for what you do. That's your job - making the workers understand the need to do a good job so that their job will continue to be there, as well as to feel appreciated for doing that. Workers who feel used and taken advantage of will sabotage the company in a million little ways, even at the expense of losing their jobs.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 10:47:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 17, 2012 10:49:36 AM PDT
Grumbler says:
Sorry you won't like this, but usually if it was made in USA (within the last 10 years) or China it means it is poorly made. The American product is also overpriced in addition to being poorly made.

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 1:58:18 PM PDT
We've had exacly the opposite experience of Grumbler's, with items made in the USA having better quality and better service, and employees going the extra mile. You can find anything USA-made you need online (and in many stores). Some shipping costs R pretty high but on the other hand we're not spending as much on gas . Sometimes you have to write to the vendor's website for confirmation but I enjoy the detective work. Funny thing, I have yet to hear a comprehensve answer to the question of who's going to be left to buy a product if (potential) American shoppers lose their jobs.

In the last year we've bought USA-made grills, bookcases, toys, children's and adult clothing, toys, sofas, carpeting & rugs (just bought a beautiful rug from Menard's), paint, herbicides, etc. We're a middle-class family and I suspect we ave a few extra dollars becuz we don't drink, smoke or gamble.

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 2:37:01 PM PDT
I definitely go out of my way to buy products made in the USA.

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 2:49:32 PM PDT
DisplacedMic says:
many people that claim that they avoid buying products made in china might be shocked to learn just how difficult this really is.

if people want "made in america" to be a realistic option then we need to start returning to being a business-friendly nation. that means less taxes, smaller government, less entitlement etc. Take a look around this forum or just open a paper and tell me if that's a realistic platform in today's America.

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 4:55:20 PM PDT
Mark says:
sad truth is no one cares about durability, kids wants stuff. They're dragons brooding over their hoard - not content with what they have, and need more.

The days of having a few nice things are over. New things will suffice.

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 6:32:04 PM PDT
Unit543 says:
USA sells more China product because of the debt we owe them..if you really think about it,it makes sense..

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 7:16:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 17, 2012 7:27:34 PM PDT
Grumbler says:
If usa products are so good and cheap why did we have to bail out the car companies?

the sad truth is that there is hardly anyone left to buy anything already. If you look at real unemployment in this country it is at least twice what the official figures are because they do not include many groups of people. Don't even get me started on what it would be if we stopped being a police state and quit jailing so many people for stupid things... and stopped trying to rule the world with our military.

we made our bed long ago. we let corporate America and the military industrial complex take over the country. now we get to pay the price. The sad thing is that our education system has become so poor most people still havent figured this out. heck most people cant follow simple directions any more...

If you are a 'middle class' family i suspect you make more than 90% of the people in this country. All the things you have bought in the last year lead me to believe you may even be in the 95% group.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 11:09:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 17, 2012 11:12:40 PM PDT
"Betty Boop says:
Yes!! One of my criteria is whether or not something is made in USA. Chances are, if it is NOT, I will not buy it. There are too many other options out there on which to spend my discretionary income. I "need" nothing on which I am spending money through Amazon or the like. I hope this is of help. Good luck to your brother and his new game. Make sure he markets that his product is proudly made in USA!!! "
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Betty,

Thanks so much for the kind words and advice (I am always looking for good advice about marketing this game) and yes, "Proudly Made in the USA" is noted on the Product Features section of the storefront here on Amazon, on the website (next to an image of the American flag), on Facebook, and, of course, the game box itself.

Best regards,
Glenn

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2012 6:20:18 AM PDT
Madmac says:
If everything gets made in China there will be nobody here with jobs, or money, to buy your game. This has been the trend for the last few decades and now we're seeing the consequences. I will avoid the political rant and just say that I am willing to pay up to DOUBLE$ for an American made product, when given the option. We all need to help put Americans back to work. It starts with consumers seeing past the short term price break(and usually quality sacrifice) that they get from imported goods, and realizing they are chopping their own feet off every time they choose the Chinese version.
Lots of us are waking up...we are all waiting to buy your American made product, sir.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2012 8:13:39 AM PDT
DisplacedMic says:
nope - it starts with government not taxing small businesses out of existance

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2012 8:16:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2012 8:16:29 AM PDT
Madmac,

Thank you for your thoughts. I only wish more people felt the same way as you do. Next time you are at a store that sells board games, look and see how many are made right here in the USA. (Very few, if any...I look all the time)

It makes me happy to read your last line: "Lots of us are waking up...we are all waiting to buy your American made product, sir." (because we, indeed, are waiting for all of you to buy it! :)

Best regards,
Glenn

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 9:08:54 AM PDT
Lyn says:
alot of products that say made in the USA, are not actually! they import the parts from China and Assemble in the USA.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2012 10:41:08 AM PDT
Actually, we made $50K in 2011, but we chose to pay our 30-yr mortgage off in 10 years, which is a big factor. We also take advantage of companies like Menard's who offer no-interest plans over 6 or 12 months for larger purchases, and we pay off our single credit card monthly B4 interest accrues. A lot of the purchases we made last year were put off so we could pay off our mortgage, but we are making sure these purchases are made in the USA. Better late than never, I guess. (except TV's, haven't found a way around that one).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Toys forum (333 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Thomas train plastic & wooden track compatible? 21 2 days ago
how to sell porcelain doll collection 3 4 days ago
Fraudulent Sellers on Amazon/Ebay - Buyers Beware !! 457 10 days ago
Why toys retard child development 0 17 days ago
Vendors Rip Off Amazon Customers 395 17 days ago
need help understanding amazon better 0 18 days ago
Sellers who cancel orders - unable to leave feedback for them 100 24 days ago
70's toy set ? 21 25 days ago
Does it matter to you whether a toy or game is made in the USA? 594 Jun 11, 2014
I ordered a book 2 months ago and I didn't receive my order. They said that the item has left the US 2 days after I placed my order but I still haven't got it. 3 Jun 10, 2014
Maker of vintage campfire--help 0 May 26, 2014
Rocking Panda - can he be gift wrapped? 0 May 19, 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  Toys forum
Participants:  208
Total posts:  595
Initial post:  Mar 14, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 11, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions