Customer Discussions > Toys forum

What you can do to help thwart these lowlife resellers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 276 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2010 7:55:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2010 7:59:55 AM PST
Ice King says:
You could buy them from the resellers a week or two before Christmas. Check their return policies before you do this to make sure they accept returns within a reasonable amount of time, usually up to 30 days. Then after Christmas go to a store and buy one of the many returns at retail price then return it to the reseller. You get the toy you wanted at the price it should have been and some lowlife gets screwed out of an undeserved profit. Win/win.
I know the supporters of resellers will cry foul but really, all you're doing is looking for the best deal and finding the same thing at a better price. They're getting their items back so you aren't stealing anything. Plus, you're taking the time and effort to go through with this plan, why shouldn't you be reimbursed for your trouble? You took the risk, you deserve the reward. It's not like losing their money will kill them, is it? Why are they so spoiled that they need that extra money? Maybe they need to be taught that money isn't everything.
That's the price of doing business, if they want to play shopkeeper they should be prepared to lose money when people find ways around their crappy practices.

Posted on Nov 26, 2010 9:03:51 AM PST
Too much work! I'm just gonna try voodoo.

Posted on Nov 26, 2010 9:33:28 AM PST
this is of course assuming you're able to find this exact same item to return to the reseller in the first place. In my case all the stuff I want getting jacked up by resellers is rarely the holiday craze items, just popular stuff that is getting picked clean from the store shelves before I can get to it.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a 6" movie Series war machine from the Iron Man 2 movie line?!? I've NEVER seen one in stores. they are ALL priced $12.99 but on Amazon, Ebay and every other place I can find them they are $40.

Posted on Nov 26, 2010 6:37:42 PM PST
Fizzle says:
No, No, No! Just get a lot of money then buy up all of the reseller's stores and all of their merchandise then close them down. That would teach them to mess with us...Wait better yet buy controlling stock in Amazon.com and shut it down that would be even easier.

Posted on Nov 27, 2010 6:50:23 AM PST
Shawn C says:
If I am sending the item back for no good reason, I will not be reimbursed my original shipping costs. Some sellers get huge shipping discounts, so you cannot ship it back to them as cheaply as they shipped it to you on a large item. You may have paid $7.00 for them to ship it to you, but don't be surprised if you have to spend $12 to send it back. So I am out an automatic $19. Whatever money you saved on the item, you just might lose on shipping.

Posted on Nov 27, 2010 7:52:04 AM PST
Nelson Ng says:
This is probably one of the worst ideas ever. As much as you want to get back at resellers, this will cost your pocket book.

Don't forget, the reseller wins out in the end. You have to end up shipping the item back. Then, you have to pay their 20%+ restock fee. Then, you have to hope the reseller refunds you timely, or even at all.

They don't lose out because they can just return the item to the store or where ever they bought it from.

Sometimes, its easier to just pay the premium price to have that item. If there is a hard to find item that retails for $50 and the reseller sells it for $75, I would buy it based on certain circumstances. Would I want to drive from store to store in the snow hunting for an item? Gas is costly and I value my time and I'll be at peace if I buy it online. It's guaranteed to be there. I can only blame myself for not buying it when it was in stock and readily available.

If you really want to get back at the reseller, then just don't buy from them. If they had no sales, they wouldn't be able to resell, would they?

It's all based on situation. The reseller is providing the product if I can't find it anywhere. I see the price clearly and if I want to buy it, I will do it. It's better than NOT having the item that your kid wants. So, in that respect, resellers can do good for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2010 9:35:17 AM PST
And people wonder why resellers have such unfavorable return policies and high restocking fees.

You're assuming that all Marketplace Sellers get hard-to-find products from retail shelves at MSRP. Sometimes, Sellers pay more than MSRP in order to meet the demands of the marketplace.

Do you think you're the first person to come up with this plan? Do you use the same technique when buying Halloween candy? It always goes on clearance after the holiday, you know! ;)

Posted on Nov 27, 2010 1:41:32 PM PST
This entire thread seems completely ridiculous to me. I don't think the problem are the sellers. I think the problem is the buyers. When you hop onto an online marketplace filled with impossible-to-find toys and games ON BLACK FRIDAY, do you really expect to get them at Wal-Marts door buster prices? That is an asinine expectation and an insult to the intelligence of people everywhere.

Amazon.com isn't Wal-Mart. It isn't Target and it isn't Kohls. Amazon.com is a worldwide marketplace that offers convenience to people all over to be able to shop for virtually ANYTHING they wish to purchase from the comfort of their home, without having to endure the crowds of thousands of people in a retail marketplace.

Now, I'm making an assumption here, but it seems like most of the people whining that they can't afford a gift for their kids on here are the same people that will complain that they have to get their butts out of bed at 3am to take advantage of the Black Friday and other Holiday sales offered by retailers. These are the same people that miss out on the sales, come to Amazon to buy something, which will obviously cost more than a "Door-Buster" deal at a big box retailer, spend more than they "feel" they should, and then after their seller makes good on the sale, often times sending the package with upgraded shipping, extra care, etc... Leave THEM negative feedback. To me, that's more insulting than a supposedly inflated price.

The bottom line: You pay for convenience. If you want it NOW, if you want it FAST, and if you want the hottest toys, games and everything else without having to move your butt from your computer chair, expect to pay double, triple or even higher prices. You aren't spending money on gas. You aren't spending hours in line. You don't spend your valuable time waiting in traffic, trying to fight the sales that you can't/won't go to. The sellers here that are working so hard to get these things are spending their hard-earned money and time making sure they meet the demand of their buyers. Put up or shut up. There is no gun to your head to shop here. There are many other online marketplaces and retail outlets you could shop at if Amazon.com doesn't suit your fancy.

Sincerely,
Common Sense

Posted on Nov 27, 2010 11:24:23 PM PST
I say the best way to rid of them is just don't buy from them. If they aren't selling anything they will find the time and effort they put into it not worth it.

Posted on Nov 28, 2010 7:46:26 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 28, 2010 7:46:31 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 28, 2010 8:05:13 PM PST
Jonny B says:
Just check the prices against each other, IMO, I don't trust too many resellers, and hate inflated prices, but if your patient and keep looking you can find something on craigslist or ebay or another website for cheaper. I almost never buy used on amazon cuz you can't see the product. I did get a cheap version of an old video game on here, said it was used....the case was covered in dirt/dust, the game still worked a-ok, and I didn't pay an inflated price for it, but the description definitely didn't say 'also case is covered in dirt/dust'.

Posted on Nov 29, 2010 6:10:30 PM PST
StLmom says:
Why jump through hoops and go through your umpteen-step plan to get back at the reseller? Do you just like to complicate things?! It took a lot more time to come up with your plan and execute it than to just look at the listing, decide the price is too high, and then MOVE ON. Oy!

Posted on Nov 30, 2010 12:07:21 PM PST
M. J. Moon says:
When I was a kid, if something was impossible to find in the store, too bad, so sad! The first Christmas craze I remember was the Cabbage Patch Doll... I wanted one and my parents tried for weeks before Christmas to get that for me. Since that was ALL I wanted, if the option to get it at an inflated price (say, ebay) was there.. they'd have probably done it and omitted the other presents they got me to make up for not being able to find the one thing I wanted. That option simply wasn't there. (It was an awesome surprise to just come home from school one Feb. day and have a shiny new doll waiting for me out of nowhere!- but I digress)

As a parent now... if I can't find something my kid(s) wants more than anything else in the world on Christmas and it is available online (for more).. I'm happy for the CHOICE. I may or may not buy it but it's nice to know it's an option and my kids wont have to see that helpless look my parents had when they told me (and meant it) that Santa couldn't bring me a cabbage patch kid doll for Christmas!

Posted on Nov 30, 2010 12:26:19 PM PST
Fizzle says:
I say the best way to rid of them is just don't buy from them. If they aren't selling anything they will find the time and effort they put into it not worth it.

Posted on Dec 1, 2010 9:19:00 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 1, 2010 9:19:07 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 1, 2010 9:31:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2010 9:32:21 AM PST
Ice King says:
"Posted on Dec. 1, 2010 9:19 AM PST
Arthur & Rose Steinberg says:
[Deleted by the author 10 minutes ago] "

What is the deal with your posts? They're harder to find than the most popular toys. Are you trying to create an artificial demand for them so you can turn around and resell them for a higher price? :)

Posted on Dec 1, 2010 6:07:34 PM PST
Kim W. says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2010 7:11:29 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 1, 2010 7:13:28 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 1, 2010 9:43:53 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 1, 2010 9:43:59 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2010 2:19:46 PM PST
M. J. Moon says:
bratzlady- about WHAT?

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 10:26:10 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 3, 2010 10:26:15 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 4, 2010 12:14:55 AM PST
Sean says:
This is pure ignorance..

You say "vendors are crooks" yet you scam them. Hypocrisy would also fit very well here.

Question: Do you think that those little parts you stamp out every day at your job are sold to the end buyer for exactly what your labor was to make them? Or even to include cost of materials?

Answer: No.

Reason: We do not live in candy land where magical fairy dust shoots out of zebra's butts and makes all your wildest dreams really really come true. I would type a concise explanation of how the simple concept of profit works and why it's necessary for a business (along with a definition of what that is) for you, but experience has taught me that you think the way you do because your brain is incapable of comprehending any concept more complicated than pushing a button. Or screaming at several cars going in circles. Or words consisting of more than two syllables. Fur realz, wut did i jus say?

Just accept your lot in life and "baa-ah-ah-ah" along doing what your friends tell you that their friends told them. Don't hurt yourself thinking too hard.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2010 12:26:39 AM PST
thank you for your common sense

Posted on Dec 4, 2010 7:45:24 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 4, 2010 7:45:29 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2010 9:30:53 AM PST
Sean says: "...Or screaming at several cars going in circles"

Thanks a lot for this... now I have to clean the Mountain Dew off of my monitor. :)

Git-er-dun!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Toys forum (341 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Toys forum
Participants:  92
Total posts:  276
Initial post:  Nov 26, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions