Customer Discussions > Toys forum

Price Gaugers Should Be Shot!!!!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 546 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2008 10:12:58 AM PST
I've been looking for a reasonable power wheel for my son for the past 7 months and it really irks me to see people raise the price on a power wheel that was $230 a month ago raised to over $1200 just because of the holidays. The thing that angers me the most is we're going thru a recession and christmas is the hardest time of the year for some of us financially and we're working overtime and spending every dime we have just trying to put a smile on kids faces and now we have to deal with this crap!!! You people are soul-less, and i"ll pray for u this holiday season.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2008 10:50:24 AM PST
Recreational Gamer - I ordered my power wheels off of walmart.com. Paid $199 for the Jeep Rubicon (which is sold out). But, others are available. You can do site to store shipping for free. I believe the cut off for Site to Store to get it in time for Christmas is December 19th. Don't let others beat you up for wanting your child to have a carefree childhood where Santa brings you what you really want.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2008 10:57:15 AM PST
Tell me about it. I bought one of my kids the Crayola Illumination Station for around $21 and I've seen them as much as $112! Helmet Heros within a month went from $24.88 at walmart to anywhere from $35 to $150. How cold hearted do you have to be to rip people off on Christmas of all times? My personal opinion is this mess should be illegal!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2008 1:30:36 PM PST
S. Hunt says:
I definitely agree that there are some a-holes out there. I think the best thing to do is just not get too fixated on a specific model/color/whatever of a given toy, and consider buying used. I'd frankly rather find something like this on Craigslist gently used and give my money to another hard-working parent. I think these gougers think it's just people with money to burn that they ripping off, not well-intentioned parents who really can't afford it. At any rate, don't forget your kid will love you even if you wind up getting something else this year!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2008 1:45:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2008 1:48:51 PM PST
luvs2bmom says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2008 3:59:33 PM PST
Heepspo says:
Is this the whiner forum? If I knew that, I wouldn't have come in here.

If if cost too much, don't buy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2008 5:26:32 PM PST
T. Perry says:
RE: "Is this the whiner forum? If I knew that, I wouldn't have come in here.

If if cost too much, don't buy it. "

When you saw that the title of the forum was "Price Gaugers Should Be Shot!!!!!! " What exactly did you think you were going to find? Tell a a-hole whose paying you to troll the message boards Merry Christmas from the rest of us, who are NOT impressed with their customer service this holiday season and are shopping elsewhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2008 6:29:59 PM PST
This is capitalism folks. If you don't like it, try and move to a communist country where the government will fix the prices for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2008 7:15:43 PM PST
stinhoutx says:
@T. Perry: This is the second time you've posted your assertion that someone is paying folks to troll the boards. Tell me, do companies really pay them like secret shoppers to do such a thing? That would be kind of wacky.

@Scott: Would it be considered an irony that a high percentage of the toys/items people are buying are likely produced in a communist country? ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2008 6:21:49 AM PST
Todd Guthrie says:
The way to stop people from overcharging is to NOT BUY THEIR STUFF! This is a free market, folks, and if you don't bow to those attempting to take advantage of the scarcity of an item, they will eventually drop their prices. They aren't soulless, they don't deserve to be shot, so quit whining and spend the time to find what you want at the price you want. If you can't do that now because of scarcity, start earlier next time...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2008 9:49:47 AM PST
Brad Garcia says:
Seriously folks, it's Christmas. Instead of worrying about what overpriced toy you're going to get for your spoiled little brat this year, why don't you plan to spend some quality time with the tyke? Go to the museum. Take her to the library & suggest some books. Take him to a hockey game (a college or minor league game is even better than an NHL game). Build something together. When you look back on your childhood, which are the memories you cherish the most? Was it the toys you played with alone, or the times you spent "helping" your dad fix the family car?

I can't believe people buy these $200+ toys, even at MSRP. But they're selling for $1200 now? I think I'll buy a couple when the prices drop after Christmas and hold onto them to sell next Christmas. LOL!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2008 11:21:27 AM PST
BC says:
It's called opportunity. Buy things early, what's so hard about that? Or don't spoil your children rotten. I don't buy and sell toys, but I have no problem with people with business sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2008 10:29:37 PM PST
M. J. Moon says:
I agree BC. What I find most comical about this thread is that it's not ok to sell toys above MSRP but it's ok to shot people who do.

Anyone see a relatively screwed up moral compass with this? I mean really people.. someone tries to make a buck (legally, I might add) and they deserve to be injured or killed for it?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2008 10:38:23 PM PST
C. S. Popper says:
Supply and demand. If you're selling out too quickly, raise the price.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2008 11:13:49 AM PST
I agree that the holidays bring out the worst in corporations in raising prices. My stance is don't buy. I won't buy my kids any items that are way over priced. I will wait until February to buy them and say, this is a late gift. I have never done it but will if needed. When looking for a Wii last year, I called and called the stores, when they had one, I went to get it and bought one for $250. I could have bought one for twice as much through the Internet but said no way. Two years ago, we were looking for a DS. Again, I called and called, I had almost given up and was prepared to tell my son he would get one after the holidays. On Dec 23, a store had one and I bought it. Corporations will stop raising prices if we refuse to pay. Supply and demand. If demand is low, supply will be high and the prices will stay steady. If people are willing to pay $500 for a $250 item, corporations will sell it for $500. My kids will smile this year during the holidays as they do every day. They smile every day because my wife and I support them in athletics, academics, everything. We aren't a picture perfect family but every night, we tuck our kids into bed and say goodnight. Our kids know we can't afford everything they want. My son even says that sometimes while walking through a store but he is still happy. We have flaws but our kids know we love them and that is the best gift.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2008 11:03:02 PM PST
B. Brown says:
"When you saw that the title of the forum was "Price Gaugers Should Be Shot!!!!!! " What exactly did you think you were going to find?"

I thought I would find some post about 12-gauge shot gun prices or something, and here I stumble into a mindless rant about price gouging! Talk about false advertising!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2008 11:16:36 PM PST
L.A. says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2008 9:26:37 AM PST
It is sad that this has become accepted in this country. It has become all about money with no thought of doing the right thing. Sell the item for retail, mark it up a little. But don't make it up 500%.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2008 9:41:36 AM PST
Ben Dare says:
("Gauging the Gougers" would've been a tabloidesque title, eh? :)

Honestly, let's all consider *exactly* what would happen if lil' Jack or Jill didn't get the presents they "expected" this year.

Wouldn't their reaction (positive or negative) be a reflection on the values instilled within their home?

If their presents were a "disappointment" to them in some way, should you then ask their forgiveness?

(Any presents not meeting their approval will always find eager arms at local shelters, orphanages, hospitals, etc)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2008 11:02:53 AM PST
Amen. You know, there's a product on Amazon that most of the posters on here could pick up for a very reasonable price. It's a book called "The Wealth of Nations" by Adam Smith. Read it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2008 11:17:23 AM PST
Robert Hope says:
You are correct sir.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2008 11:47:45 AM PST
T. Pavey says:
Yes, we do live in a "free market" (as long as you are a large business) but the problem with the increasing right before Christmas is that people buy late for different reasons. People that are living paycheck to paycheck, especially in these times may not have the means to buy a gift 2-4 weeks in advance. The people that do have a lot of money to spend have no issues doing so. This means that the people that are best of financially get the BEST prices.

While I feel that stores should be able to charge what they please I think that MSRP should be the cap for the month of December to not unfairly charge the people that are already in the worst position financially.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2008 3:49:28 PM PST
William Cox says:
I'm not sure how I ended up at this forum thread - I was initially pricing RC servo's for the helicopter I'm building for my 24 yr old stepson - this is what I decided he would enjoy for his Christmas present - no problem with pricing on any of the components required to make him a high quality RC helicopter, which will afford him many enjoyable hours of recreational time. Not to mention the time we'll spend together flying and repairing/upgrading.

My 14 yr old daughter was a little more challenging to gift this year - she's become a young woman it seems like just overnight. I decided to give her what's called a "Day of Beauty". There's a holistic healing centre not too far from here and for a reasonable price she gets all the popular spa stuff done for / to her - I suspect she will enjoy a facial at least as much as her mum, my ex - wife. Also - since my daughter is only 14 - and her mother Loves this place also - I decided in the spirit of giving and joy to get her mom the same package. I hear and suspect the time together might be a wonderful chance for them to bond together. I also got her 3 tickets to the show Blue Man Group, and the show Shear Madness. Hopefully she chooses to invite me to one of them, but if she doesn't that's cool - I do insist she invite an adult, and the third ticket for each show is for whichever peer friend or adult she chooses to bring. I have never made much of an effort at Christmas to "Buy" the Happiness and Joy of the Christmas season by racing through Toys R Us or Walmart - or worse - The Mall because my experience has been that the marketing that gets targeted at children for christmas present ideas in reality never get much use, when conversely gifts that provide memories and/or social interaction with family and friends result in much more than the 3-5 minute manic excitement reaction a kid experiences when they open that most coveted / marketed gift of this or that christmas season. Anyway Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to everyone who reads this - I sincerely hope your holidays are brimming with joy and love and the kind of memories that bring warmth and joy all year and forever.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2009 10:31:36 AM PST
Sandy Tucker says:
Well said, I think we have lost sight of the fact that nobody is forcing us to buy this stuff and we were happy before these things even existed. Why in the world should we go fruit loops every time something is invented that we cant afford? We ARE teaching our kids the wrong things by crying over the cost of caviar.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2009 10:35:01 AM PST
Sandy Tucker says:
Keep up the good work John, you kids have a great teacher, some of the others should take your words to heart.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Toys forum (335 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Toys forum
Participants:  270
Total posts:  546
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2008
Latest post:  Apr 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers

Search Customer Discussions