Customer Discussions > Toys forum

Amazon - Third party sellers are killing the deals!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 830 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2010 8:46:47 AM PST
T. Carlson says:
My letter to Amazon.com -

I spend thousands of dollars at Amazon every year. Putting it nicely, it is dishonest and shameful to let third party sellers sell items from your warehouse for 2 and 3 times the retail price. Essentially they are paying Amazon retail for the item, selling it for more and passing on the rip off to the customer, enabled by Amazon. Why does Amazon let a third party seller buy the stock of a hot item and charge their customers more? It is turning in to Ebay. I know you say, "We just store it and ship it for them." It is easy to see what really goes on. I have bought from third party sellers before, but not at rip off prices.
Amazon should care more about their customers.

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 8:48:59 AM PST
I agree!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2010 9:33:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2010 9:35:50 AM PST
Ice King says:
I completely agree with you but unfortunately, Amazon will never stop this as long as people continue to patronize the sociopaths who do this.
Again, I don't agree with this one bit and I think the people doing this suck but look at it from Amazon's point of view, they sell something to someone for one price, then collect a fee to store it and then another fee for that person to sell it. If a person buys it for their own personal use or as a gift then they only get the money from the initial sale.
The solution is simple yet impossible -people need to stop being greedy pigs and snatching up everything they can get their hooves on to resell at an inflated price. Judgiing from some of the people who post here, that just won't happen. They clearly have no sense of right and wrong, only what will make them the most money. In their minds, if you can make money off of it and it's not illegal then you can do it all you want. Truly disgusting.
Amazon is not blameless in this, if they didn't give them the avenue to do it they wouldn't be able to, but the majority of the fault lies with the lowlife resellers. They don't need to do this any more than we need these toys (as they so love to point out to us when we complain about their sleazy tactics).

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 10:19:24 AM PST
J Parker says:
I don't see where the big issue is. If the item is bought through the amazon.com website, customers see a message about other purchase options; clicking that lets them pick who they buy from (and they see what it would cost from each vendor).

As for higher costs, perhaps some of the vendors offer better customer support (such as on electronics) that lets them charge a premium. Getting enough information to choose a vendor should take less than a minute per item extra (more time may be needed to DECIDE on the vendor), but that's a different issue)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 7:53:51 AM PST
T. Carlson says:
I think you missed my point, or you are one of the third party sellers I am speaking of. The scalping of toys (purchasing the stock of an item for the sole purpose of reselling it at a markup to the consumer who would have bought it at retail) is a big problem for anyone who has every done any Christmas shopping.
You can not justify selling a toy for 2 or 3 times retail because you offer good customer service. That is a joke.

Just to be clear, when something is available from Amazon and other sellers, of course that is an easy choice. When Amazon's supply is completely bought by a third party sellers then they jack up the price and it is fulfilled by Amazon.

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 8:41:25 AM PST
Amazon needs some stiff competition. How much do you wanna bet the likes of amazon, facebook, microsoft, coca-cola, disney, etc. have rights to the lunar surface? It's bragging rights. The internet is like that, a new frontier that gets run by the first guys to stick their flags in the ground. Amazon is the king. I use them because they deliver on time everytime. What can I say? I'm a slave to amazon. I hope my grand-kids children don't have to shop exclusively in amazon registered VR programs on the moon and think "Why do we always buy synth-meat on amazon-luna.co.us.terrafirma.com?" and wonder if there would have ever been another way.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 8:42:53 AM PST
"Amazon will never stop this as long as people continue to patronize the sociopaths who do this."

NPC. I think I like you. :D

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 8:59:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2010 9:11:14 AM PST
Shotgun Sam says:
I do the third party thing every Christmas! I love the idea, how American can you get! Not only do I feel very patriotic but I make $$$ doing it and provide people that waited until the last minute to do their kids Christmas shopping, expecting to be able to get the "hottest toys for Christmas".

This almost makes me feel like a special kind of Santa Claus. I'm buying your kids Christmas present, before you've even had the chance to blow them off in September when they are telling you what they want for Christmas.

This is what I do, around the end of summer I figure out what will be a hot seller for Christmas. Then I buy a good stock of said toy, during November thru December I go to every Target and Walmart in town and buy ALL of their stock. I then advertise the item for about 2-3 times the retail. I make my $$$ and the parents look like heros on Christmas morning. I've actually had mothers break down in tears when I have what they want. I also have my repeat customer soccer moms that tell their friends, they bake me cakes and have me over for lunch and dinner, seems like they are happy. Sometimes a bidding war breaks out and I have to make the decision on who has been "naughty or nice"

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 10:27:23 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 3, 2010 10:27:27 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 11:22:12 AM PST
what I hate is when I put something on a wishlist, and then amazon runs out or stops selling it and then changes the link to a marketplace vendor who is charging significantly more, so my $30 item is now $55 dollars on my wishlist. Really sucks if you've got items on your list that people don't necessarily know about and people buy you the severly overpriced item because they don't know any better.

I created a wish list for my son so that out of town relatives would have an easier time shopping for him, and some of the items there retail for half of what the marketplace does. I got tired of it and linked everything directly from the toysrus website that way I can enter in the price and stop people from getting ripped off.

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 12:40:07 PM PST
S. Goodridge says:
The answer is simple. Don't buy inflated priced toys. I certainly won't do it.

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 3:31:18 PM PST
XxHaimBondxX says:
Goodridge makes a definite point- if you are too stupid to buy toys at 3x mark up, then you shouldn't complain. To the OP- if you are spending "thousands" of dollars on Amazon- then it's your problem. Jesus created competition in America for a purpose. Google the name of the product and you will find the cheapest price available. 2nd Google the merchant who carries it, and you are in business. If you are one of those who spoils your kids any buys them EVERYTHING when they WANT it, then I hope it pays off when they call you once a year on Christmas.

And why is it only toys that concern you?

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 3:33:20 PM PST
If you want to get really angry about rip offs, then everyone who buys a toy in America that's made in China is really getting ripped off. We're ripping of China, but they're ripping us off too. It costs $5 for those factories in China to make some cheap plastic toy and we buy it here for 30, 40, 50+ dollars, but on the other hand China loves it because they're making a killing on us. Plus, they like us because of the big debt we owe them. So we're kinda using each other. We take advantage of their cheap labor and they take advantage of our stupid spending habits. So if you wanna get down to the nitty gritty we're all a little guilty of taking advantage of one another.

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 4:09:17 PM PST
Kim W. says:
shotgun sam is a liar...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 5:16:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2010 5:17:18 PM PST
Jason Watson says:
The best thing that Amazon could do is post the MSRP for items that they normally have in inventory. This would allow shoppers to make an informed decision when buying from a third party. I do not have an issue with people "making a buck" off of speculating on items, but I think that the buyers should be aware, then they can decide if the upcharge is worth it.

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 5:24:12 PM PST
Agnes Scott says:
I have to wonder about anyone who would spend $50+ on a Play-Doh toy that not only can be had for $10 elsewhere, but is similar to many similar, cheaper toys. How could they not know better and still be able to use a computer?

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 7:07:27 PM PST
ScrapFe says:
You all need to read Bill Mc Kibben's Hundred Dollar Holiday (probably available at Amazon). It's time to rethink Christmas, and give up our current obsession with present-buying. Let's make the marketers and retailers (and third party sellers) sweat this Christmas. Heck! Let's make Wall Street sweat! I say, stick those third party sellers with their loot! Trade-in your "store-bought Christmas" for a simpler and more enjoyable holiday. What your kid really wants from you is time and attention...not stuff!!! Go whole hog on their birthday instead, if you must!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 7:29:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2010 2:37:35 AM PST
tea lover says:
Yes, tres American. The only problem is the buying up all the stock by resellers such as yourself is likely the reason the parent needed the item later in the first place.. so if you are a hero, it would be like you causing a catastrophe to be the one to fix it.

I would personally like to see resellers buy only a portion of available stock, have a cap off for integrity's sake. But this is capitalism after all.

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 7:30:42 PM PST
I lost my job earlier this year and I'm barely scraping by. I saved up my money for quite awhile to be able to afford gifts for my two children. My 4 year old actually make a Christmas list this year for Santa. I was searching for something good for my daughter who is only 9 months old and came across a plastic cell phone/key set for $70 + $7 shipping! I can go to Wal Mart and buy play cell phones and play keys for $5. That is just RIDICULOUS. Somebody has to stop this, it's criminal. And it makes people like me who aren't stupid, just broke, feel like crying thinking about breaking their kids hearts on Christmas. I know it's not all about the toys and they'd be happy no matter what but it's important to me to give them things. (Aaaaand maybe get some work done while they're busy playing. ;) )

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 7:41:57 PM PST
Traveler says:
Emerald: What you're arguing is basically like this . . . Walmart has an item for sale for, say, $5. Someone here is trying to sell it for $25. This affects you how? Other than your personal feelings, just how is this breaking the law or somehow a direct impact on you? You're basically arguing that Amazon MUST have the same prices as other places otherwise your feelings are hurt.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 9:49:17 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 3, 2010 9:54:58 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 9:57:56 PM PST
ScrapFe says:
I have to wonder...how could anyone justify paying $50 for a Play-Doh thingy for their child for Christmas when so many of the world's children are going to bed hungry tonight?! One day, in all earnestness, my 5 year old son told me that all he wanted for Christmas was to help an orphan. In order to honor his Christmas wish, I contacted Holt International and decided to sponsor a child from China in his name. That was 5 Christmases ago, and since that time our family has been helping to financially support this same child. My son, who is now 10, prays for the child in China each night at bedtime, and I dare say that our sponsorship has impacted both children's lives...the orphan's and my son's. In that light, and in light of eternity, doesn't all this banter about third party sellers seem like pure silliness?!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 10:07:49 PM PST
T. Davis says:
Well said, great message!

Posted on Dec 4, 2010 6:53:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2010 6:55:41 AM PST
rip14 says:
What's the problem....?

Is Amazon MAKING you buy from the more expensive seller?
If you still have the option to buy it from Amazon, or another seller, for a cheaper price, or not buy it at all, then why are you so upset?

As for the hard to get items, its called supply and demand. Welcome to America.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2010 8:40:36 AM PST
Shotgun Sam says:
And you bratzlady are ignorant... You don't know me and I don't know you.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 34 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Toys forum (335 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Toys forum
Participants:  267
Total posts:  830
Initial post:  Dec 2, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 20, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers

Search Customer Discussions