Customer Discussions > Toys forum

What is that nasty smell with McFarlane toys?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 48 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 25, 2012 1:59:06 PM PDT
Amazon User says:
I have gotten a couple of McFarlane's sports action figures, and both times when I opened the package I immediately noticed an extremely strong and foul odor. This isn't just me - I did a search and found a few reviews on Amazon where people mentioned this smell with other McFarlane toys. Even this editorial review - Movie Maniacs 6 VI Warrior ALIEN Figure from ALIEN RESURRECTION Movie McFarlane Toys - mentions the smell: "The only real drawback is the odor--a putrid vinyl smell--that jumps from the package when it's first ripped open".

What is that smell? I notice the toys are made in China, and have heard reports of toys from China being laced with various harmful chemicals. I hope that's not the case here.

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 4:33:54 PM PDT
The smell is it's value escaping.

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 8:25:54 PM PDT
lmao

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 2:33:08 PM PDT
It could just be the vinyl trapped in the box and making a bad smell. Still, be careful.

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 6:22:16 PM PDT
DKP says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 6:43:36 PM PDT
Yes, it's the toxic, cancer causing plastics you smell! : (

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2012 11:05:03 AM PDT
Douglas S. says:
hahaha

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 2:07:29 AM PDT
P. Brown says:
It is the gases from the plastics they used to make the toy.
You will also find that smell on the mega bloks dragon figures. It took almost a year for the smell to get out of our daughters toy dragon.
It made her physically sick; so we tried sticking it into a box with activated charchol but that didnt work so we had to let it air out in the garage.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 3:02:19 PM PDT
john says:
i love the smell of mcfarlane toys. to each his own

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 4:01:27 PM PDT
As long as the figure doesn't start leaching (which is where the plastic gets sticky and can ruin the surface its sitting on, there's really no problem, the smell will go away when aired out

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 7:30:49 AM PDT
Birty72 says:
Your surname isn't Mcfarlane by any chance is it?:-)

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 2:15:30 PM PDT
Daddy G says:
Many plastics are made of, or contain, PVC, poly vinyl chloride. Normally the migration of chemicals into the air is so slow, and amounts so small that it is not an issue. However, it is true that when PVC containers are heated in a microwave the chemicals migrate faster. If the item has an unusual odor it is possible it was exposed to more heat than usual. I don't know of any way to get rid the odor.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 4:55:40 AM PDT
Carla S says:
One way of getting rid of an oder is to put it in the freezer for a few days.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 7:29:07 AM PDT
bdfromop says:
You should ask for a copy of the General Certificate of Compliance for testing per CPSC and CPSIA from wherever you purchased it, either Amazon, or the affiliate comapny/website tied to Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2012 9:34:45 AM PDT
Rock Fan says:
So, the lesson is, don't heat your toys in the microwave?
Seriously though, airing out the offending product is probably the only way of dealing with the issue.
(And remember to air out the air that YOU'RE breathing occasionally, if it's in the same area, because you will be breathing it in!) I once left a tube of super glue in the kitchen drawer, and it dried out, guess who breathed all those vapors over time? Me! Now I keep volatile liquids (glues, paints etc) in the garage.

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 6:17:06 PM PDT
I would be more interested in knowing the chemical and it's effect on the body. If it has any negative effect it should go into the garbage.

Ne

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012 7:08:25 PM PDT
Short of those toys from China a while back with lead paint, there are regulations for a reason. It's not toxic, just air it out, and usually it will go away, unless its a toy made from a plastic/rubber that smells already, my SIS had that with a toy dragon, airing it in the backyard only made the backyard stink of that toy.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 11:18:06 PM PDT
ghost13 says:
I LOVE that smell!!! It's awesome, I cut the package open and get a good whiff, it makes me sad when it quickly fades away!

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 7:54:19 PM PDT
The smell comes from the softer vinyl-like plastics in the toys. I know when I was younger I got a Darkstalkers figure and it was by far the worst case of plastic smell I have ever smelled (I collect toys and have done so for over two decades now). It was due to all the soft plastics in his cape. I normally love new plastic smell but that just smelled like death so between that and toys I get secondhand from smokers I developed a method for de-smelling toys.

1. Bathe gently in warm water and dish soap. Dish soap is gentle enough to not damage paint application and the warmth does help the smell wear off faster.

2. put the figure in a closed tupperware container, cover it with paper towels then lightly spritz those with febreeze. Leave it sealed and it will pull out some of the odor.

Other than that it's just gotta wear off naturally, and it's not truly too dangerous but I wouldn't go huffing it or anything like that.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 8:53:19 PM PDT
Ugh, I hate when I buy something off like eBay, and it arrives, I open it all excited, and am hit with a blast of cigarette smell, just had that with a zoids model the other day, luckily it was mint in box, and under all the plastic it was safe, just had to trash all outer layers

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 12:24:16 PM PDT
mj says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 1:07:41 AM PDT
BoogieCat says:
VINEGAR...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012 3:24:28 PM PDT
Benzene, Tuolene, or some other nasty solvent would be my guess. The Chinese seem to pay zero attention to product safety.

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 11:43:04 PM PDT
Pat B says:
I don't think the Chinese care about the possible harmful vapors, or lead in their toys that they make. All they care about is our money to buy that stuff. They could care less if those harmful vapors, or lead kills people. Remember back a couple of years ago good number of the dog food that came from China killed hundreds of dogs because they used rat poisen.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 6:32:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2012 6:37:21 PM PDT
Hipgnosis says:
Pat B: Apparently, the Chinese don't care about their own citizens, either. There was the incident several years ago where a hundred or so children were poisoned and died because the dairy milk was tainted with the chemical Melamine.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Toys forum (327 discussions)

ARRAY(0x9e2b463c)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Toys forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  48
Initial post:  Mar 25, 2012
Latest post:  May 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions