Customer Discussions > Toys forum

lego's for teenage girls.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 4, 2012 1:21:19 PM PDT
Bonnie says:
my sisters 20th birthday is coming up and she has always talked about how she would like to put a lego set together. and i have no idea about lego's. so im hoping you guys can help me.

-she doesn't want any star wars ones.
-she doesn't want the new typical girl ones.
-shes new a it so nothing super complicated.
-something that does come with directions.

thanks everyone that helps!

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 2:33:48 PM PDT
Mike says:
Either the LEGO Architecture series or Creator series like 5770 Lighthouse Island.LEGO Creator Lighthouse Island 5770

Pretty much all of the lego sets come with instructions that are easy to follow.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 12:18:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2012 12:24:01 PM PDT
bordersj2 says:
First question is - what's the budget? If she's 19 or 20 IMO she may have the patience to go through the instructions, count the lines, etc.

A set I would actually really recommend and sounds more up her alley & isn't too complicated, is Medieval Marketplace. It's one of the best sets ever made IMO, and is available now but it's $100.00. Check it out on Amazon though for a view. Castle sets are a little costly too but also an idea since the line is being stopped soon because of Lord of the Rings (same with Harry Potter). Medieval marketplace is one that's been around since 2009, a long time for Lego so I expect it to be discontinued over the next year or so.

If price is no object, I'd say go for a modular set though note these are definitely more complicated (but they look so good!). Right now you can get Fire Brigade, Pet Shop, Town Hall and Grand Emporium. These are bigger sets though with close to 2,000 pieces and are built over a longer period of time. The price range of these at Lego.Shop.com is steeper; anywhere from $150.00 to $200.00 (each).

Otherwise, like Mike I would suggest creator Houses. The Lighthouse is a good one, the Log Cabin is also nice and thsoe are between 30-40 dollars - the LIghthouse I've seen on sale for $30 before. The Lighthouse is actually a pretty neat set. There is a new creator house coming out this summer that will probably be close to $50 that is called "Seaside House" depending on when your time frame is.

And speaking of Harry Potter, if she likes movies like Pirates of the Carribean or Harry Potter, those sets are still around right now & could be going on clearance (check Wal-Mart sometimes). Spongebob sets are also a reasonable priced alternative & simple builds. Lego City sets are also a thought.

All Lego sets come with instructions and there are on-line communities that have them too. The box's give you ideas for age ranges on the sets too (16+, etc.)

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 7:43:55 PM PDT
Seconding the architecture sets. They make beautiful display pieces when you're done with them. I also got my hubby this huge Lego train set that was marvelous, it even had a dining car with tables. Expensive but so worth it. :)

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 5:37:16 PM PDT
Though it may have already past, advice for future givers-
There are not many lego sets made for girls, and the ones that are are aimed at young elementary schoolchildren. Most lego nowadays, especially since the demise of Bionicle, have been aimed toward a younger audience, and the more complex sets cost a lot. I own the Grand Emporium- huge, great set, incredible replay and retail value, and incredible detailed. Cost- $150. Unless you use cash as toilet paper, I recommend, as people said, architecture sets, though one of the best things for teenage lego fans to do, along with not telling anybody this secret obsession, is get tons of bricks- traditional and strange- and look at something someone else made and recreate is as your own. And then make a world out of the stuff you do, and repeatedly have natural disasters that force you to rebuild it. :) That truly is the joy of Lego, isn't it?

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 10:59:21 AM PDT
I know that this discussion is old, but I like the Landmark Series. http://architecture.lego.com/en-us/products/ Amazon has some good prices on some of them.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 11:38:46 AM PDT
I recommend the Lego Grand Emporium or the Lego Pet Shop.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Grand-Emporium-10211

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Pet-Shop-10218

2182 and 2032 pieces of Lego Fun respectively.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 11:59:44 AM PDT
Mom says:
I have a friend in her 30's that loves all the Creator sets that involve houses. She finds it relaxing.

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 6:11:44 AM PDT
Get a hero Factory set. Speeda Demon is amazing! He is a big green dude on a purple motorbike, It's an amazing concept.

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 2:00:04 PM PDT
maddie says:
Does she like Harry Potter?

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 2:11:53 AM PST
Istin FY says:
Lego Friends, my sister love it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Toys forum (337 discussions)

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Toys forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Apr 4, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions