Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Toys forum

Gift Ideas For 8 Year Old Girl

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 8, 2011 12:37:20 PM PST
My daughter didn't ask for much this Christmas (no idea how that happened LOL) so any suggestions you have would be much appreciated. Thanks! : )

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 5:56:07 PM PST
MamaWhama says:
Maybe she'd like a coupon for a full day with you? If you're a Mom, how about a mani-pedi and lunch? Or an outdoor adventure and picnic? Kids will remember those gifts their entire lives... :-)

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 6:54:38 PM PST
Nunya Biz says:
Lalalaoopsy doll? Theyre very cute. Or a mix max player? Those are always a hit.

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 7:23:48 PM PST
Matt says:
I have an eight year old girl as well. Here are some different idea we came up with this year: Magic Kit, Fashion Design Kit, Illustory (write and illustrate your own story and have it bound). I also get her the Taylor Swift concert DVD. She isn't interested in Lalaloopsy, but my 5 year old is.

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 7:40:23 PM PST
Sandeep says:
What about harry potter stuff. I got my daughter a calligraphy pen set and a how to book.

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 7:51:12 PM PST
TDole59 says:
My 9 y/o daughter is getting a karaokee machine, she wants the Furr Real pet dog, the Lalaloopsy doll with the hair you can "style", an electric scooter, also love the Klutz activity books, and any kind of arts and crafts supplies, she's asked for a sewing machine too, she wants her room redecorated...

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 9:29:12 PM PST
One Reviewer says:
How about getting a nice big storage drawer (like the large Sterlite plastic kind) and fill it with all sorts of great arts/crafts supplies? You can put not only basic stuff in there (white computer paper to draw on, construction paper, crayons, paint, gel pens, markers, glue, glue sticks, safe scissors, tape, etc.) but also googly eyes, pipe cleaners, colored tissue paper, pack of wooden popsicle sticks, ink pads, stamping supplies, fabric remnants/squares (can be bought cheaply in remnant bin at most fabric/crafts stores), yarns, embroidery threads (remember the woven friendship bracelets), beads, sequins...there are so many great things you can find, some even at Dollar Tree. (Don't get their crayons, yuck, those are awful!) You can also break down the cereal boxes when they are empty and flatten and store them easily for her to use for whatever sparks her imagination. Don't forget about your paper towel cardboard rolls and such...you can just bring those out of your little stockpile when she opens her craft drawer to start making art and crafting, and let her ideas spark. Shoe boxes with lids make great shadow boxes, she can create her own little scene...Save your old magazines for her to cut whatever strikes her fancy, it could be pics of furniture, animals, people, whatever to put in the shadow box or make some great collage art or even magazine beads--(the beads might require your assistance til she gets the hang of it, but what great together time you'll have!) She could make tissue flower arrangements and do-dads out of the colored tissue wrapping paper...This is stuff I loved at that age, and still love making art and upcycling stuff. She will get (I'm hoping) so very much enjoyment out of a ready supply of crafts and arts materials to explore and create. There are tons of resources online to help you get a handle on different things you can purchase for her supply, and you will also find more ideas to help her when she gets in a rut as to what to make next. If budget allows, buy about 2 yards each of different fabrics, from taffeta to rayon...the more pieces the better, and she may find a "clothes designer" in herself. When I was young, I also loved "making" different outfits out of fabric remnants we had, I never cut or sewed them at that age, just wrapped and pinned and tied until I had made something to my liking. I hope I gave you some ideas to help you!

Posted on Dec 8, 2011 9:37:21 PM PST
JJ1970 says:
My 6-yr-old niece is very bright, mature, & creative for her age, so I'm always looking for new & challenging gift ideas that she won't "outgrow" within a year or less. I like all the suggestions posted so far on this thread! Another good suggestion I'd like to add is a kid-friendly digital camera/camcorder. I saw one yesterday on Walmart's website (but I'm sure you can get it anywhere) made by V-Tech, for $56. It comes in either blue or pink and is recommended for kids around ages 5-9. It is very durable & functions as a 2.0 MP still-shot camera & also as a video camcorder. It comes with software to allow older kids to edit their pics & videos with fun special effects including music soundtracks added to video recordings. It also has a handful of built-in educational video games they can play right on the camera itself. It includes USB & A/V cables to connect & watch the pics & videos on the computer or the TV, & has built-in memory capacity plus a 2-GB SD card slot for much more memory storage.

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 11:15:09 AM PST
mio says:
My daughter received the V-Tech digital camcorder as an early Christmas gift from a relative, and she LOVES it. I gave her a camera for Christmas last year, and she still uses it all the time.

Does your daughter like music and dancing? You can get a few cds of her favorite singers, and as a "bonus" load the music on to an older MP3 player. Perhaps one of the new Just Dance Wii games, or the Shake it Up cd/dvd combo.

Is your daughter crafty? There are tons of options in-store at Jo-Ann for the No-Sew Fleece Blanket kits.

Is your daughter girly? You can put together a basket of goodies for hair and nails (nail polish, clippers, files, headbands, barrettes, picked up from clearance racks, on-sale, etc.) and maybe include a "coupon" for mani/pedi with Mom.

Does your daughter like to play board games? If your daughter has a favorite game, see if there are variations on it (i.e. Sorry has Sliders and Spinners, Uno has Attack and Reflex, etc.).

Is your daughter sporty? If she likes soccer, small goals are available on Amazon, and you can pick up a new ball.

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 11:52:58 AM PST
I'm in this same spot! My 7 year old daughter doesn't want anything that I can give her this year either. Have you thought about donating time together to a shelter? I know this is something my daughter really loves! But, as for under the tree, I bought a few movies, Wizard of Oz, Barbie, and crafts are always a hit here as well as books...we LOVE books!! I hope you find something just right! My daughter got Lalaloopsie last year...she has alreay donated it...She really wanted it, but it just wasn't much for her :) Every child is very different! Hope some of these help, there are great suggestions here!

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 1:59:19 PM PST
JJ1970 says:
Just to update my last post.....
The V-Tech digital camera/camcorder I mentioned that I had seen on Walmart.com for around $56 is now reduced to $49 during this weekend's toy sale on Walmart's website.

Some other nice gift ideas for an 8-year old girl:

Latch-Hook craft kits (I don't know if they even still make Latch-Hook anymore, but I was practically obsessed with crafting Latch-Hook "rugs" when I was that age)! They came in hundreds of different sizes & designs, and I must have driven my mother nuts with how often I'd finish one & immediately plead with her to buy a new one ASAP for me to start working on!

Another idea is a diary, a personal journal, a nice traditional large hardbound photo album (with optional refill pages that can be added as needed, or scrapbook she can design with whatever contents she likes -- it could either be a physical scrapbook or perhaps computer software that guides the creation of scrapbook pages using templates, etc. on the computer which can either be printed out & bound together upon completion...or can be sent online to a company like Snapfish, Kodak Gallery, American Greetings, etc. to have your customized digital page creations made into a professionally-bound album for you.

There are also thousands of different computer software programs (many of which are free) that provide design ideas, templates, and all sorts of clip art & artistic layouts, border designs, etc. for creating your own personalized stationery, greeting cards, posters, calendars, & other such projects.

Another idea I really like would be to buy her a nice wrist watch - not a "kids" watch but an actual adult watch. I know Kohl's (& kohls.com) is having a huge sale on thousands of styles of watches (and lots of other merchandise) this weekend, through 11:59pm EST Sunday, Dec. 11th. If you go online you'll find the coupon code (if necessary) for the 20% off storewide sale running this weekend. If you make a purchase by the end of Sat. night (Dec. 10th), you'll earn $10 Kohl's Cash for every $50 you spend (in addition to the 20% off sale prices), which can then be used on another purchase between Dec. 11th-18th.

Along with the watch, a nice wooden compartmentalized jewelry box would make a nice gift as well. Maybe an inexpensive but attractive piece of jewelry - such as a nice charm bracelet - could be a gift to be placed inside the jewelry box (perhaps in addition to the watch) as an added surprise for when she opens the jewelry box.

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 6:18:45 PM PST
JC says:
I only have boys but some of the things they like may work.

-Legos - they have cute cottages and stuff now.
-MP3 player - loaded with music
-Science kit with slime and other experiments
-Video camera to make movies with (free programs to edit and such are out there)

I always try to get them things for outside play like
-remote control planes, pogo sticks,binoculars,walkie talkies,skates,kites - anything to get them out.

good luck!
-

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 6:41:42 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 9, 2011 6:46:59 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 8:23:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2011 8:35:22 PM PST
Talk2Me says:
My neice is 9 and here are the things she put on her list....Wii Just Dance 3 game, Disney Spookie Buddies DVD, Frozen Dippin Dots Maker, Make your own chewing gum kit, Password journal, Forensic Science Detective's Tool Kit, Orbeez Soothing Spa or Jewelry Maker. And like others mentioned here, she loooves arts n crafts...anything creative!! Some of these are on mindware dot com but better prices here. But on that site you can search by age and get some more ideas but come back here for a better deal! Also, CVS has some cute stuff and you get a $10.00 gift card if spend $30.00 or more.

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 9:22:41 AM PST
Check out all the many different "Think Fun" games and puzzles on Amazon.com. They are incredibly fun and affordable. Highly recommended.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 9:41:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2011 9:45:51 AM PST
Is she into dolls? Depending how much money you are talking about, you could get any doll that is the same height an build of an American Girl doll ( the cheapest one of those I believe is 100.00). Then go on ebay. There are people who make the cutest replicas of American type girl clothes (again, way to expensive if you get the authentic ones) along with shoes and coats and all the extras. I had a ball picking out stuff for grand daughter's doll and the cost is anywhere from a few dollars to 20 for a fancy outfit. You didn't mention how old she was, so this may not be the answer, but hope it helps-My granddaughter is 8. By the way, I am signed into my husbands amazon, so this is Missy, not Lawrence.

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 4:19:59 PM PST
Gadget Guy says:
Here are some interesting bendable toys that are affordable and a great gift for all ages - Narwhalicorn (Half Unicorn / Half Narwhal), Gentleman Bigfoot, Classic Punkle "The rockstar", and the Brain Surgeon Zombie. My kids loved all of them. Hope this helps! Narwhalicorn "Half Unicorn - Half Narwhal" (Majestic and Bendable)Classic Punkle (Bendable Action Figure)Gentleman Bigfoot (Bendable Action Figure)Brain Surgeon Zombie (Bendable Action Figure)

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 8:49:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2011 10:03:37 PM PST
Tungsten says:
Depends on how much you want to spend and where you and your child are with respect to being ready for electronic devices. We're getting our daughter, who's almost 9 and reads well above grade level, a Kindle Fire (and a 2 year drop / break warranty! :-). She's been hinting she wants one, and is clearly more interested in that than the interest she has ever shown before in any other devices - not sure how that marketing message got to her! One Aunt is getting her a Prime account to share with Mom so they can watch free videos, and another aunt is getting her a pink cover. Basically the same price as a 3DS with a couple of good games and/or a high-end iTouch.
Check back on this thread in a month or two to see how that worked out ... :-)
I second the big box of art supplies, too - that can be sized to fit any budget; we got that for her last year and it gets used a lot.

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 7:50:10 AM PST
anonymous says:
Learn to sew book, origami kit, string games kit, marbles, jacks, chinese jumprope, Crafting Fun or Homemade fun (by Rae Grant), knitting for children book with knitting supplies, nice art supplies like tombow markers, watercolor paints and c'aran d'arche aquarelles (crayons that are water soluble), chess set (tournament kind that rolls up and has nice, big plastic pieces) and chess computer program like Fritz and Chesster. A Klutz book like watercolor, drawing or art or galaxy book. Folkmanis puppets.

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 3:09:49 PM PST
Thank you for all of your thoughtful replies! I have some great ideas now and I can't wait to get shopping.
I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas. Thanks again for all your help!

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 10:01:19 PM PST
Karen Morey says:
My daughter just turned 8 and is very into the idea that she is now old enough for "real" miniatures instead of "toys." She recently got some furniture and even some electric lights for her wooden dollhouse. With some of her birthday money she added a grandma and grandpa to her dollhouse family. She also loves all those tiny miniature newspapers, cans, flowerpots, etc. - you can make your own on sites like printmini or go to a craft store, dollhouse store, or on Amazon. She is learning about Victorian England so I'm thinking of adding a few porcelain Victorian type dolls for Christmas. Dollhouse Miniature Natalie Doll

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2011 12:00:54 AM PST
Denise Casey says:
Biggest hit for my 8 year old this year was a karaoke machine... you want one that displays the words for the karaoke cds--but they play regular cds too. A second microphone lets her friends can sing with her.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2011 6:25:24 AM PST
Adela Carter says:
Hi
I would not bother getting the Vtech camera. Just my opinion. We bought this last year and it is very limited in the capabilities. I am planning on getting my 7 yr daughter a regular basic digital camera. There are now a lot of $49 - $70 cameras that would be a better investment.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2011 10:39:34 AM PST
Joe Average says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2011 11:37:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2011 11:57:06 AM PST
Tungsten says:
+Adela Carter
I second that. We had the Fisher-Price camera, which did not take great pictures and stopped working after about 12 months. We replaced it with my wife's "old" grownup digital camera when she got a new one, and our kids are still using it.
the other thing they liked more than the still camera is our old "Flip" movie camera, although I guess Cisco killed that product line off; Amazon is still selling them for full retail even though it's a discontinued product (support expires Dec 2013), and I wouldn't recommend paying more than about 20%-30% of original list price.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Toys forum (350 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Toys forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Dec 8, 2011
Latest post:  May 3, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions