Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Travel forum

What are your backpack travel essentials?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 27, 2012 7:35:18 PM PST
GardenGal says:
We are going to use our backpack (hiking or trekking and 50liter capacity) as our carryons.

Wondering if anyone can share their list of travel essentials?

Any tips on packing? The retail store told us to pack the heaviest in the middle and closest to our backs, and the lighter items on top and bottom.

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 6:22:16 AM PST
Jo Carroll says:
Yes - heaviest stuff closest to your back.

You think you need more than you do.
Essentials: first aid stuff, wet wipes, water purifiers - things that help you keep clean, though you don't need fancy washes, soap is fine.
Swiss army knife. Washing line (elasticated). Universal plug (to charge camera and phone). I carry a small fleece blanket (probably designed for dog basket) - invaluable if it's unexpectedly chilly. Sarong - to cover less-than-clean sheets.
Clothes - you'll be amazed how little you need. You will almost certainly take too much and leave clothes behind.

You'll do really well if you fit this lot into carryons - but have a great time.

Jo
ttp://www.amazon.com/Over-Hill-Far-Away-Grown-up/dp/146641457X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books
Your reply to Jo Carroll's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 7:54:36 AM PST
Hi GardenGal -

This list might have some items of interest: http://www.amazon.com/Handy-Items-for-Backpacking-Overseas/lm/R3JSJYV68YWNVQ/

Happy travels!

Posted on May 8, 2012 8:09:41 PM PDT
Travel towel - Lighter than normal towels and fast drying (many hostels do not give you towels, and of course for camping)
2 gallon zip lock plastic bags - I LOVE these for travelling. You can use them to compress your clothing for more room and to keeps clean items separate from dirty. Perfect for damp items and dirty shoes. Great way to carry toiletries. They also help prevent wrinkling.
Don't carry entire travel books, just photocopy the pages you think you'll need most (travel guides are HEAVY). I'll be honest though I have taken travel guides and then hardly used them because I've already planned things out in advanced. If you're big on planning in advanced you probably won't need one.
Small notebook and pen - You'll never know when you'll need to write something down like and address. And if you are in a foreign country many people can read/write english much better than they can speak it.
When packing clothing pack enough for 4-5 days. That's all you really need, even for two week trips.
Laundry detergent packets.
Rubber flipflops. You do not want to wade in barefoot in some campground/hostel showers. Just no.
Baby wipes (cheaper than just wet wipes and just as good)

Don't forget to check TSAs carryon guidelines. Buy toilettries like shampoo at your destination. Do carry on your own safety razor cartridge (sometimes the checker will make you chuck them at the security point but usually not and you never know if you'll be able to find what you want overseas). For women travellers I highly recommend razors with the built in shave gel. Much more convenient for tiny showers.

Because you haven't listed a destination or type of accommodation I can't give any better tips than this.

Posted on Jun 23, 2012 4:28:31 AM PDT
Aleks Windel says:
Hand sanitizer! This is a lifesaver in less developed countries. I second the rubber flipflops. If you can't splash out on a travel towel, just bring along a dish/kitchen towel. They're light, dry overnight, and inexpensive. Pack only travel sized containers of shampoo, and fill up periodically.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 12:30:36 AM PDT
If you are going to take your pack into the cabin, read the restrictions on the airline website. Most allow 7kg - 10kg but the dimensions are often more important than the weight as it has to fit into the overhead locker and its no good if it looks like an exercise ball! Use compression straps to get it into the right shape. Sylvia Nilsen http://www.amazon.com/author/amawalker

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 1:16:52 PM PDT
ian campbell says:
Socks, socks, socks. It doesn't matter if you have one shirt or one hundred, and same pretty much for underwear, but you'll feel a thousand times better if you have a clean pair of dry socks. I know from bitter experience.

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 1:19:04 PM PDT
ian campbell says:
...and a combination cell phone/camera...fixes those times when you look around and say, wish I had my camera with me...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Travel forum (241 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Do any hotels in London England have full time temperature control in their rooms? 0 7 days ago
Enjoy great value for money and savings of £1,000 per couple on Emerald Waterways' New Sensations of Southern France River Cruise 0 12 days ago
Enjoy great value for money and savings of £1,000 per couple on Emerald Waterways' Danube Delights Cruise 0 12 days ago
Save up to £2,500 Per Couple On A Luxury Jewels of Europe Luxury River Cruise Prices now starting from just £2,190pp 0 12 days ago
Save up to £1,500 Per Couple On A Luxury Mystical Irrawaddy Cruise 0 May 24, 2016
Does Anyone Have Experience With Dental Tourism 39 May 22, 2016
Save up to £1,350 Per Person On A Luxury Idyllic Rhône River Cruise Prices now starting from just £1,895pp 0 May 19, 2016
Emerald Waterways - Jewels of the Rhine River Crusie 0 May 9, 2016
Save up to £2,000 Per Person On A Luxury Romantic Rhine & Moselle River Cruise Prices now starting from just £2,495pp 0 May 3, 2016
Emerald Waterways - Secrets of the Douro river cruise just £1,595pp and €300 on board credit 0 Apr 28, 2016
Save up to £2,000 Per Person On A Luxury Beautiful Bordeaux River Cruise 0 Apr 26, 2016
Enjoy great value for money and save up to £2,000 per couple on Emerald Waterways' Rhine-Main Discovery River Cruise 0 Apr 13, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Travel forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Feb 27, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions