Customer Discussions > TV Series forum

Old Classic Tv Shows vs Modern Day Tv Shows/Which Are Better?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Oct 24, 2011 12:12:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 25, 2011 2:39:46 AM PDT
M. Whorton says:
Your list covered my favorites. I had a lot of those classic cartoons on VHS since the early 80s. I bought the DVDs over the last 6 years or so.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 7:38:30 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
The early 80's? You've been collecting from that long ago? And you're still collecting today? That's very good! I started collecting in the early 90's,and I'm still collecting. It seems never ending...there will always be something that you want or need for your collection. Collecting is fun!

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 2:38:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 25, 2011 2:40:30 AM PDT
M. Whorton says:
We bought our first VCR back in 1982. I still have my first ever VHS tape. It has some Looney Tunes and Donald Duck cartoons and some Dukes of Hazzard episodes on it. I have got rid of some of my VHS tapes over the years but I still have a lot of them in my collection. I have some stuff that will probably never get released on DVD. Some of that stuff consists of 11 episodes of Automan and movies like Uphill all the Way and Hardly Working.

In 2002 I bought my first DVD player and Star Wars Episode I on DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2011 3:43:16 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
I bought my first VCR in '92,and right away I started recording "I Love Lucy","The Honeymooners","Woody Woodpecker",and "WWE PPV's",and "WWE Monday Night Raw". The very first boxset that I bought was 2 years later,in '94,it was the "WWF Wrestlemania I-X" boxset on VHS.

I bought my first 6-Speaker Home Theater System(with subwoofer)in 2000.It had 500 watts,and surround sound. The first movie I bought on dvd was "Laura Croft,Tomb Raider". Stars Wars is one of those movies that sounds absolutely GREAT in a Home Theater System!

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 10:44:07 PM PDT
RADIO HEART says:
I have to say old ones. 70's-80's were the best!! But there are a few I like from today.. American Idol, Dancing with the stars, Ghost Hunters Body Of Proof.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2011 11:50:26 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
re:70's-80's were the best! I agree 100%! Especially when it comes to action/adventure shows!

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 2:59:30 AM PDT
M. Whorton says:
TEC 9:

I filled up several VHS tapes with The Honeymooners copied off WGN back in the 90s. Now I have the classic 39 and the 6 volumes of the lost episodes on DVD. When I had cable from 1990 to 2008 I copied WWE Monday Night Raw then later WWE Friday Night Smackdown every week. I have never ordered a PPV event because they costed to much money. But I did rent them went they came out at the video store. I still watch WWE Smackdown on Hulu each week and I watch WWE Raw in other places. I started watching wrestling in 1989 when Saturday Night's Main Event came on NBC. I was a big Hulk Hogan fan back then.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2011 9:15:25 AM PDT
Wrestling isn't what it used to be, the promos were what got you pumped up to see a match, I think the "Miz" is about the only one today who can do a Promo....the rest...I don't know....I think CM Punk had it right....Vince McMahon has lost his creative edge!!.....back in the 80's & 90's, everyone had a gimmick....today...they are just there!!.....I remember Woody Woodpecker, however I bought "Looney Tunes" & was really disappointed with the second volume, no "Yo Simity Sam"...no buy...been relunctant ever since to buy more.

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 1:03:49 AM PDT
M. Whorton says:
The selection of Looney Tunes cartoons they have been putting on the volumes just are not that good. They leave out great cartoons and put some old horrible cartoons on them that you don't care about. I have only bought Volume 2 just for the Coyote, Road Runner disc.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2011 5:10:58 AM PDT
"some old horrible cartoons on them that you don't care about"

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who noticed, what is up with that anyway??

Warner Bros. definately needs new management in it's DVD promotions Dept. big time.....as I stated in my previous post....they are terrible with their older shows.....it is a miracle that "Dallas" & Dukes of Hazzard" got completed!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2011 7:51:29 AM PDT
Its not the studios that decide what titles are released. The studio owns the copyright for distribution purposes but its actually the producers that decide when and if a movie will be released on video, and in what format. There are all kinds of legal reasons why a show may not be released. Six Million Dollar Man for example took forever because of ownership issues. Other shows that use a lot of popular music either have to pay through the nose to have the "aired" episode released, otherwise have to put new music in and somewhere on the packaging they have to state that certain or all episodes are "home video version" or something similar and let you know that music may have been changed. This happened with Fast Times at Ridgemont High and when it first came out on video. Airplane II also had a remixed score (for a time) when it it was re-released on video.

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 11:27:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2011 11:37:57 AM PDT
Then there are those TV Shows and Movies that the Studios refuse to release because of "Political Correctness". The Walt Disney Movie SONG OF THE SOUTH is a prime example. The Movie takes place on a Georgia Plantation before the Civil War. The Farm Workers (Slaves) are all shown to be doing their work happily. This upsets certain members of the African-American Community. Disney fears there will be repercussions, such as boycotts, if they release this movie on DVD, so it goes unsold. So what do people do if they want these kinds of shows? They look "Somewhere Else" to get them. Earlier this year The Owner of Home Theatre Forum (Which PROHIBITS the posting of Bootleg Subjects as well as where to get them) Posted a Message concerning the 1966 BATMAN TV Series that that said:

"The Bootleg Market is benefiting, there are sets of the TV Series taken directly from studio masters on the market...This is what ultimately happens when shows as popular as this one get held up in legal disputes and are withheld from the consumer."

Another person replied that a Publisher actually used data about Bootleg Sales to determine what TV Series they would get a licence to distribute LEGIT Sets of those series!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011 10:32:20 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
M:

I also have "The Classic 39" episodes of "The Honeymooners" on dvd...and it's GR8! Everytime I watch it I remember when I was a young teen and my aunt wouldn't let me stay up late and watch The Honeymooners because I had school the next morning. Now as an adult I can stay up all night everynight and watch The Honeymooners if I wanted to!

I have a few episodes of "Monday Night Raw" & "Friday Night Smackdown" on videocassette...On DVD I have "The Best Of Raw" 15th Anniversary..3 disc set from 1993-2008...I also have "The Best Of Smackdown" 10th Anniversary...3 disc set from 1999-2009...I love them both! Such great memories! I also have "The Best Of Saturday Night's Main Event"...another 3 disc set and GR8 memories! SNME premiered when I was in high school...and I remember talking about it with my friends after every episode! I don't get to watch Raw & Smackdown nowadays because of my work schedule,but Raw does come on again Sunday evenings,so I catch it when I can!

Hulk Hogan built wrestling and Stone Cold Steve Austin transformed it and brought it to another level!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011 10:44:30 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Michael:

You're absolutely right...wrestling isn't as good as it once was..."The Attitude Era" (Stone Cold Steve Austin..The Rock..The UnderTaker..Kane..Shawn Michaels..Triple H..DX..etc) ruled! I also love the Hulk Hogan..Ultimate Warrior..MachoMan Randy Savage(R.I.P)..Bret Hart..and Mr.Perfect(R.I.P) days!

I just bought Woody Woodpecker Volumes I&II,I just watched vol.1 so far..and I like it! I have Looney Tunes Volumes I &II..IV &V,but I haven't watched them yet. I'm sure I will enjoy them. I'm sorry that you were disappointed with your purchase..that really sux.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011 10:46:31 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
They can't be more horrible than today's cartoons!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011 10:49:38 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Maybe it's because "Dallas" And "Dukes" were much beloved and popular shows! Definitely 2 childhood favs of mine! Lots of people grew up watching these shows!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011 10:52:57 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Bradley:

It's a shame that all of this legal "mumbo-jumbo" is keeping some of our favorite shows from being released onto dvd!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011 11:00:13 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
William:

You're absolutely right..the bootleggers benefit when the studios/producers refuse to release a certain show or shows because of "politics",copyright issues,legal disputes,etc. While they are sorting through all of this red tape..we the fans/consumers are suffering and the studios are losing money...and the bootleggers get over like a fat rat.

Posted on Oct 30, 2011 12:15:11 PM PDT
I for one would like to have the actual pilot of "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" episode "Awakening" as opposed to the movie version that was included on the epic series set. They call it the pilot on the disc set but it has a different ending and is about 7 minutes shorter than the actual pilot was, and the movie ended with a scene that provided closure whereas the actual pilot had an ending scene that suggested there would be more adventures.... Universal is re-releasing season 1 by itself this January, but I have been told by Universal that it will be identical to the epic series set..in otherwords, the movie version will be included again.

Posted on Oct 30, 2011 5:31:42 PM PDT
RADIO HEART says:
I have the whole DVD set to Buck Rogers in The 25th Century.. Love Erin Gray!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011 5:33:22 PM PDT
RADIO HEART says:
Would love to see Knots Landing and Eight is Enough on DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2011 11:02:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2011 11:03:59 PM PDT
The way the people in the future "evaluated" some of the artifacts they found from the 20th century like the vietnam era machine gun. Gary Coleman added a nice bit of nostalgia. Nice touch for a clip show. It put the city in a major panic, but it did make for an entertaining evening.
I was disappointed with the revamp for the second season. Science Fiction and Broadcast network TV never mixes well.

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 2:14:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2011 2:17:45 AM PDT
M. Whorton says:
TEC 9:

Do you have a DVR with your pay TV subscription? If you are going to have pay TV you should at least have the DVR to copy things you want to see then FF though the bajillion commercials that are on pay TV these days. Before I canceled my cable subscription 3 years ago I had the DVR and copied Raw and Smackdown every week. But then I found out I can watch WWE shows online for free and buy DVDs with the money I save. Hulu.com has new episodes of Smackdown and WWE Superstars each week. You can find matches of Raw on Youtube. I haven't missed any WWE in the 3 years I haven't had pay TV.

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 2:21:40 AM PDT
M. Whorton says:
I have the whole DVD set to Buck Rogers in The 25th Century and I also Love Erin Gray!!!! Pamela Hensley was hot too!!!

I have had all 31 episodes on VHS since 1983 and I bought the DVD set when it first came out. I have seen each episode at least 20 times. Its still one of my favorite shows.

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 11:31:29 AM PDT
M. Whorton says:

I started watching wrestling in 1989 when Saturday Night's Main Event came on NBC. I was a big Hulk Hogan fan back then.
-----------------------------

I started watching Pro Wrestling in the early 80's and I actually preferred Ric Flair and the "NWA" on TBS as opposed to Hulk Hogan and the WWF. I thought it was more realistic and adult as compared to the WWF which I considered more of a gimmicky cartoon. I watched both consistently though. However, I rarely watch wrestling today. It just doesn't have the unique talent any more.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the TV Series forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  TV Series forum
Participants:  87
Total posts:  2211
Initial post:  Sep 30, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions