Customer Discussions > TV Series forum

Old Classic Tv Shows vs Modern Day Tv Shows/Which Are Better?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 2194 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 30, 2011 4:05:23 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
What's Up Everybody In Tv Land?!

Welcome To Old vs New!

So what about it? Which era of television do you find to be more entertaining...the old classic tv shows of yesterday or today's modern day shows...and why? Which era do you think produced better quality tv shows...the old school or the new school? Personally I'm a die-hard fan of old classic television shows.

Before we get started,let me lay down the ground rules.I just wanna say that we all agree to disagree. We all have our personal likes and dislikes,our personal taste in tv shows. So here we will RESPECT each other as well as each other's likes and taste's in tv shows. No disrespect,arguing,or fighting will be tolerated. If anyone calls another person mean names because he or she likes a particular tv show...that person will be put on ignore and reported to Amazon.

With that being said...Let The Battle Begin! Old Vs New!
Battle=Friendly Debate.

Please Everyone Let's keep it Friendly And Respectful.

Okay Boys And Girls...Ladies And Gentleman...Let's Have Some Fun!

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 2:07:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2011 5:10:04 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Old Classic Television Shows Rule!

The shows of yesterday(from the 50's 60's..70's..and 80's)are incomparable!
There are only a few from the 90's that I like. Anything after that just doesn't interest or entertain me.

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 3:44:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2011 9:37:49 AM PDT
70 Percent of what I own on DVD is from the 50s, 60s and 70s. Of whats left, heres a rough breakdown:

1980s 50%

1990s 35%

2000s 15 %

2010s ZERO!

I say those figures speak for themselves!

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 5:07:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2011 5:07:41 AM PDT
Rita Reader says:
Oh, I love this thread! I am an old classic girl through and through! It is not to say that I don't enjoy some of the new stuff, but the 60's was when I really got into TV. My all time favorites are one western, (The Big Valley) and one sitcom that really defined sitcoms (The Andy Griffith Show) Nothing else even comes close. It was also the days where my parents could pretty much let me watch anything without parental control being an issue. NOT so today. And don't even get me started on quote reality TV unquote. It really was the end of an era when that started. It is kind of like drugs. You are drawn in very easily, but that doesn't mean it's good for you. HA! I loved it when the President said, 'I'm sorry, I don't know who Snookie is."

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 12:27:22 PM PDT
Harold47 says:
No doubt about it, I favor the old classic TV starting as far back as the 50's. Those were the days good clean FAMILY entertainment. There were no worries about what the children might see on TV. There were plenty of good sitcoms to pick from, a few game shows, and some classic comedy/variety shows that the whole family enjoyed. Today I only watch some of my favorite old shows on the classic TV stations and/or my collection of DVD's and VHS tapes.

"Reality" TV was the worst invention of all time. And I could care less who wins on "Dancing With the Stars", etc.

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 6:05:28 PM PDT
I choose the classics, hands down. Nothing's better than some of the delightful retro stuff like The Andy Griffith Show, The Honeymooners, Columbo, Star Trek, The Twilight Zone, and All in the Family.

I don't dislike all modern and recent TV, in fact I am half in love with the likes of "30 Rock", "Modern Family", and "Arrested Development".

Few shows of the 90's and since have impressed me; but there have been some winners. "Northern Exposure" was exceptional, and always entertaining ... what a treat that was in the 1990's! And I became really fond of "Roseanne", "Frasier", and "The Simpsons". There always will be little gems among the mediocre.

I still get a kick out of "Seinfeld" (lovin' the DVD's, because cable TV cuts out a good chunk of each show, and ruins the pacing with interruptions)-- but "Seinfeld" and other recent sitcoms would never have existed without the hilarious antics of Ralph Kramden and Ed Norton, of Lucy Ricardo and Ethel Mertz.

Plus, I dig the silly classics, too: the likes of "I Dream of Jeannie", "The Munsters", "Lost in Space", "Green Acres", "Batman", etc. It's like comfort food in its way. I grew up watching those reruns in the 1970's and 1980's, and grew to love the shows.

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 1:51:02 AM PDT
M. Whorton says:
The shows of yesterday(from the 60's..70's..and 80's)are incomparable! Very little after that just doesn't interest or entertain me. My favorite movies are from the 70s..80s..and 90s.

The newest TV show I have on DVD is from the 80s.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 4:16:11 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Hi William! Yes those figures do speak 4 themselves! They speak loud and clear...and they speak VOLUMES! I don't think you have to say anymore after that...even though I want you to!

70%?! WOW! Very Impressive! Would u care 2 share some of your impressive collection with us?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 4:29:54 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Hi Rita! Thank you very much! And I absolutely love your enthusiasm! And I'm sure I will love having you here! I expect 2 C U here often!.

I like The Andy Griffith show as well. A funny.. calm..laid back..easy going..relaxing type of show. I also like Andy Griffith in Matlock and Don Knotts in Three's Company..all classic shows.

I'm sure parental control wasn't an issue back then...the shows of yesterday had morals that you can raise your kids on..not so today.

I hate reality shows!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 4:38:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2011 4:41:17 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
AMEN BROTHER! Today parents have to monitor just about everything their children watch,and how many parents really have time for that? Sadly,today television(as well as other forms of entertainment)are raising the children,with little or no morals.

Thank God 4 old classic tv shows on dvd! This is the best invention,while reality tv is the worst. What would we do without them? Would u care 2 share some of your collection with us?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 4:59:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2011 5:01:35 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
There are some shows from the 90's that I like as well..The Fresh Prince Of Belaire..Martin..Home Improvement..The Nanny..and a few others.

Anything after the 90's I'm not really into.I do favor The Discovery Channel.When I'm not watching my old classic shows on dvd my television is pretty much locked on The Discovery Channel.

And yes I agree,many of today's sitcoms wouldn't even exist without the shows of yesterday to pave the way. I think that 2 old shows in particular that paved the way for the new shows is The Jeffersons and All In The Family. I do believe that George Jefferson and Archie Bunker were ahead of their time,and these shows were groundbreaking. I never get tired of watching my beloved old classic tv shows on dvd.

Speaking of Batman,I,as well as many others,are eagerly and anxiously awaiting for this 2B released on dvd. I hope it happens.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 5:05:25 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 6:35:20 AM PDT
Rita Reader says:
Here here to the invention of dvd's of older TV! I love old westerns and The Beverly Hillbillies. Classic line : when Sonny Drysdale asked Elly May if she liked Kipling? To which she replied, "I don't know, I never kippeled." :) I have all the black and white seasons of Andy Griffith show, which my husband and I can watch over and over. All the Big Valley's thanks to a wonderful lady on the Big Valley chat. (Don't get me started on Fox only releasing HALF of the second season and then saying, sorry we won't release anymore.) And Green Acers!!! I feel like a fool to admit this, but when Oliver Douglas throws the pitchfork away with the hay in the opening credits, I crack up laughing. I mean, EVERY TIME even though I have seen it hundreds of times. I used to watch it with my Grandmother (who is no longer with us) and I can still remember her laughing at Eva Gabor running around in those negliges on the farm. Great memory.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 9:43:11 AM PDT
Harold47 says:
TEC 9,

My collection includes complete sets of:

Andy Griffith Show
Dick Van Dyke Show
Three's Company
Little House On the Prairie
Touched By an Angel - missing 1 episode :(
Wings

Some I am working on include:

Cheers
Golden Girls
Mary Tyler Moore
Laverne & Shirley
Family Ties

There are others where the producers released a very few seasons and then stopped for unknown reasons. And there are more I will start as soon I finish those I'm working on. And finally, there are a lot more I would like to get, but the producers do not seem willing to release even one season.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 1:52:18 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
re: Here Here to the invention of dvd's of older TV!

Amen sister! OMG! You are so right! I absolutely hate it when the production companies release one or two seasons of a show and then just stop! Perfect example:"The Fall Guy". I have been waiting for S/2 of The Fall Guy 2B released for 4 years! And the wait continues!

S/1 wuz released June 2007,and now here we are Oct.2011,and still no sign of S/2. What's up with that? I'm about ready to write to the production company and ask them what's up...like I did 4 years ago when I was waiting for S/4 of Charlie's Angels 2B released.

And those great lines from classic tv...aren't they priceless? I'm so sorry about your Grandmother,my mother as well is no longer with us,and she absolutely loved "Little House On The Praire". She was the one who got me started watching it.Special Shout Out To Ma and Grandma!

Thank you Rita for sharing your fine memories and classic lines with us.I'm looking foward to hearing more of them,if you don't mind sharing. As a matter of fact,I have another thread called "Favorite One-Liners".I will bring it back just for you...just in case you wanna share some more of your favorite classic one-liners from television.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 2:22:37 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 2:24:48 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 2:30:20 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 2:32:29 PM PDT
Harold47 says:
I HEAR YA!!!

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 2:57:58 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 3:17:15 PM PDT
Harold47 says:
In no particular order...

Daffy Duck
Donald Duck
Chip & Dale
Woody Woodpecker
Mickey Mouse
Mighty Mouse
Tom & Jerry
Tweety & Sylvester
Bugs Bunny (w/ Elmer Fudd)
Casper (the friendly ghost)
Flintstones
Jetsons
Simpsons

Gimmee some time I'll think of a hundred more...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 4:12:04 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 4:33:26 PM PDT
Robert Smith says:
What a great topic,classic television.Looking over my massive dvd collection in my library,I have a large number of classic shows that I really enjoy owning.To me,it's like a time capsule that I can open,and enjoy watching great shows from decades ago.It's a really great escape.Some of the complete series (and nearly complete) dvd sets that I own are.........
1). Columbo (they just don't make shows this great anymore).
2). The Rockford Files (all six seasons are great).
3). Hawaii Five-O (11 seasons released so far,only 1 to go).The scenery,content of the shows,and quality are really nice.
4). The Andy Griffith show (all 8 seasons are a slice of true slice of small town life in America in the 1960's.It's great also that the quality of the audio/video on this great show are top notch).
5). Gomer Pyle USMC (Gomer,Sgt. Carter,and the whole series is really a blast to watch.Great characters).
6). The Twlight Zone (what a great show,the is one of my favorites.I love owning the whole series).
7). Alfred Hitchcock Presents (great stories of suspense).
8). One Step Beyond (a step back to 1959 for suspense).
9). The X Files (I am still in season one out of nine,wow I have a lot more episodes to view).
10). I dream of Jeannie (fun to watch).
11). All In The Family (a real classic)
12). The Waltons (great stories).
13). Little House On The Prairie (great television).
14). Family Affair (classic family television from the 1960's.Why is this show never shown on cable ?)
15). Adam 12 and Dragnet (great 60's cop shows).
16) The Honeymooners (love the classic 39 episodes.I can't wait for the 1951-1957 lost episodes restored set.My set was shipped out yesterday from Blowitoutahere.To see some of the episodes not seen on tv since the 1950's will be a real treat ).
17). Dennis The Menace (soon to enjoy season three,thanks to the Shout Factory).
18). Groucho Marx (love "You Bet Your Life",and the Desoto commercials.Those cars were sure made).
19).Leave It To Beaver (love Mayfield).
20). I Love Lucy and The Lucy Show (great comedy).
-It's great to see all the other postings about people enjoying the great classic shows.I am sure not alone in enjoying them.I guess my only newer show is "Lost".I bought the whole series before I even saw one episode after all the great reviews on it.I now am on episode 8.Great for a newer show.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 4:50:22 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 5:10:47 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 88 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the TV Series forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  TV Series forum
Participants:  83
Total posts:  2194
Initial post:  Sep 30, 2011
Latest post:  May 23, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions