Customer Discussions > TV Series forum

Christmas Movies: Which ones are you looking for & want to see on DVD?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 2, 2009 11:23:07 PM PST
Well, believe it or not, it's about that time to think about Christmas once again. So, I thought I'd start up a new discussion.

I only have one movie that I'm looking for at the moment, trouble is, cannot recall the title; but Robert Urich stars & is in the era of President Hoover.
Urich's character is in need of work and has to find a job; has a wife & 2 kids and somewhere in the movie they separate. That's all I can remember.

Posted on Nov 3, 2009 1:00:07 AM PST
A customer says:
The title of the movie is "The Angel of Pennsylvania Avenue" (1996). I looked up Robert Urich name at www.imdb.com. This site is part of Amazon.com. You can search any name or title and see the history of what that person has done (movies, TV etc.) in their life time.

It's a shame Robert Urich died so young. He was only 56. He died of cancer. You can get that info on www.imdb.com also.

Posted on Nov 3, 2009 2:19:50 AM PST
I have most of the Christmas Movies that are out there. The only one I'd like to have is the 1973 version of MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET, starring David Hartman. This was the first version of that movie that I ever saw and I thought it was pretty good, until I saw the Origional 1947 version, which knocks the socks off of it and any of the others. Nonetheless I'd still like a copy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2009 12:36:50 PM PST
David Girod says:
Wow...I didn't think anyone would willingly choose to watch the David Hartman/ Sebastian Cabot version of "34th Street"...LOL!

I would love to see a Hallmark film I remember (from the early 90's I believe??) about a these New York executives looking for the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree. They find the perfect tree, but it happens to belong to this old nun? I think the movie was called "The Tree" or "The Christmas Tree", I don't remember if it had any known stars, but I remember my wife and I watching that cozy little film when we first moved into our house.

Posted on Nov 4, 2009 12:55:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2009 1:08:02 PM PST
As I mentioned, the 1947 Version RULES!, It just happened that The 1973 version was the first version I saw, so I want it just for sentimental reasons. My Holiday Movie Viewing commences on the Sunday After Thanksgiving with THE POLAR EXPRESS, A Holiday Movie is watched each saturday and Sunday therafter, then the Week before Christmas I wheel out "The Big Guns" as I like to call them, beginning with THE SANTA CLAUSE, the first three HOME ALONE Movies, NATIONAL LAMPOONS CHRISTMAS VACATION, then the 1951 Version of A CHRISTMAS CAROL. I always watch the 1947 Version of MIRACLE ON 34th STREET December 22, the next day I watch that other Xmas @$$-Kicker, the one with James Stewart!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2009 1:20:33 PM PST
David Girod says:
William, trust me, I'm the LAST person that should cast stones at bad-Christmas Movie viewing! I still watch "An American Christmas Carol" every year...that's the one with Henry Winkler as Scrooge set during the Great Depression!! I'm also a sucker for the poorly conceived 1970 musical "Scrooge" starring Albert Finney! I hate musicals but feel compelled to search this thing out EVERY year! Did I mention I own "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians"? I'm not even talking about the Mystery Science Theater 3000 version (which I also own) but the genuine, un-riffed version!! Not to mention:

"A Very Brady Christmas" - Mike gets trapped in a crumbling building...YIKES...but I love it (would have been better with Susan Olsen though).

"Jingle All the Way" - I still want my Turbo Man Doll I don't care what any of you think!

"Christmas Evil" - Nutty guy dressed as Santa goes on a killing spree on Christmas Eve.....the good news is he only kills naughty people...did I mention he has a flying panel van?!?!?!

So yea, I have a special place in my heart for the awful Christmas films I grew up on...including the David Hartman "34th Street".

Posted on Nov 4, 2009 6:35:02 PM PST
"Jingle all the way" is one of the ones I always watch as well. I also have Both "Grinches" (The TV Special and the Movie), the most recent version of "Miracle on 34th Street", and "Elf" and about a dozen others.

I also have "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" (It's in my Mill Creek 50 Sci-Fi Movies Collection),I haven't seen it yet, so I guess I'll have to check that one out for the heck of it.

Posted on Dec 10, 2009 6:22:45 PM PST
I just looked over my Christmas Movie selection that I hav so far and really only have more than a few: one as a double---Timepiece & The Christmas Box, One Special Night, The Polar Express (HD), The Christmas Card, Santa Claus: The Movie. Also have Disney's The Santa Clause & I thought I had the 2nd. one as well, but maybe not.
If I don't find it, I'll order the threesome from Amazn.com & give the single to someone else.
Last Christmas, I saw on TV---A Grandpa for Christmas, a very cute movie; Ernest Borgnine stars. And this year, Amazon.com is offering a Holiday DVD of Touched by An Angel; of their Christmas episodes. Decisions, decisions.

Posted on Dec 14, 2009 12:27:38 PM PST
A few Christmas movies do come to mind; the most recent & the newest on ABC-Family this year, Santa Baby-2. As of yet, hasn't mde it to the DVD manufactuers. Nor has the new Hallmark Movie A Dog Named Christmas.
And I was kind of hoping by now to see as a double; Meet the Claus's & Seeking Mrs. Santa Claus. Meet the Claus's as of yet, have not seen hide nor hare of on VHS or DVD.
And one of my all-time favorite Christmas Movies is (It Happened One Christmas) w/Marlo Thomas. No sign of this one as well.
And last, but not last and wouldn't you know--this movie, cannot recall the title, but is LeAnne Rimes first Christmas movie and I almost want to say that Della Reese is in this one as well, but am not possitive.
Happy Holidays.

Posted on Nov 1, 2010 3:29:40 PM PDT
The Holiday (2010) is coming upon us for Thanksgiving & Christmas.
And for sure, The HallMark Channel will introduce 2 or 3 new Christmas movies. It will give us movie lovers something to talk about.

Posted on Nov 3, 2010 2:18:01 PM PDT
Harold47 says:
I have several Christmas movies on DVD or VHS.

It's a Wonderful Life
Miracle on 34th Street (both '47 and '73)
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
A Mom For Christmas
Borrowed Hearts
Seeking Mrs. Claus
Touched By an Angel (Christmas episodes)
Home Alone

There is one more I would like, but can't find. I believe the title was "The Night They Saved Christmas" starring Jacklyn Smith, and I think Art Carney played Santa.

"It Happened One Christmas" with Marlo Thomas sounds very familiar. And I liked Marlo Thomas, so I'm pretty sure I would like that one too.

Posted on Nov 3, 2010 2:33:26 PM PDT
ĴĴ says:
The Good Witch's Gift is coming out in time for Christmas (((((on Hallmark))))) which I'm uber excited about, b/c I adored the first 2 "Good Witch" movies. Also, I'm hoping to watch The Christmas Caper, which has got to be the CHEESIEST movie EVER. Horrible acting, horrible plot, etc., but it has several memories attached to it. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2010 3:02:25 PM PDT
JJ
What was the christmas movie with Randy Travis? {the country singer--dont know if ya know of him or not} I think he played a troubled sole, or he was the angel that helped the troubled sole ? But it was a GOOD movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2010 10:02:04 PM PDT
With Marlo Thomas--you nailed it right on the head; it's not on DVD yet. Not even sure if it's on VHS.
Yes indeed, this is a very good movie.
We should find out who made the movie & ask them to release it on DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2010 10:08:42 PM PDT
Yes, Hallmark will be airing the 3rd. Good Witch movie. Will be anxious to watch it.
No. 1 is on DVD, No. 2 is not; what is taking so long?
At times Hallmark chooses not to place some of their movies on DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2010 5:59:04 AM PDT
ĴĴ says:
"At times Hallmark chooses not to place some of their movies on DVD."

I know!!! I would love to buy all the Mystery Woman movies on DVD, but Hallmark only released three!!! I have to record the others when they happen to come on, and it's a pain! :-(

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 12:44:28 PM PST
This year (2012) the Hallmark Channel is airing a new movie title Farewell Mr. Kringle.
It is a nice little holiday movie; I looked it up at Amazon.com and is not being offered on any format.
Even the Christmas Movies that Peter Falk starred in, they are not offered in regular DVD. Which is really a shame.
There are a lot of Christmas Movies that have been seen on TV but not released on regular DVD.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 7:09:12 AM PST
A couple of my favorites from the '80s are kind of hard to find - Bill Forsyth's "Comfort and Joy" involves a radio DJ whose girlfriend leaves him without a word why just before Christmas. He's shaken out of his gloom when he becomes a middleman in a turf war between rival ice-cream vendors. Then there's a beautiful treatment of "A Child's Christmas in Wales" narrated by Denholm Elliott. At least I have them on decades-old VHS recordings...

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 2:47:02 PM PST
I like " Trapped in Paradise " about three small-time crooks who learn the true meaning of Christmas in Paradise, Pa. Stars Nick Cage, Jon Lovitz and Dana Carvey.
Gotta catch " A Charlie Brown Christmas ".

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 4:11:12 PM PST
Wow, it's been three years since I last posted. I now have a copy of the 1973 MIRACLE ON 34th STREET (Thanks ioffer!). There's not much out there that I don't already have. Last Month I purchased VHS Copies of two former Thanksgiving Staples, THE MOUSE ON THE MAYFLOWER and PLYMOUTH ADVENTURE. Last night I watched a Christmas Episode of I LED THREE LIVES, another acquisition from ioffer.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 12:43:15 AM PST
M. Whorton says:
I recently purchased Ernest Saves Christmas on DVD. I'm going to watch it close to Christmas. Its been a while since I've seen it.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 2:19:06 PM PST
I already have it, but was very pleased to see the 1951 'A Christmas Carol' on the DVD rack at the local Target. Anyone who hasn't seen it has been sinfully deprived.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2013 6:13:42 AM PDT
M. Brodersen says:
Yes, it is called The christmas tree. It was directed by Sally Fields. I have not found it for sale :( But it is a lovely movie. As are Angel of Pennsylvania movie.

Posted on Sep 11, 2013 6:42:04 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
A Christmas flick that I like is 1992's Classic "HOME ALONE II - LOST IN NEW YORK" <starring McCaualy Caulken>...It's a great family Christmas comedy.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the TV Series forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
masterpiece season preview 16 1 hour ago
best tv shows made in australia 2232 6 hours ago
-What Are You Listening To- 252 8 hours ago
BBBB 742 8 hours ago
Mr. Robot 20 11 hours ago
`*`*The Tour de France*`*` 6 11 hours ago
all television actors and actresses who have passed away 1346 11 hours ago
Tic-Tac-Toe 1105 12 hours ago
What TV Commercials do you L*O*V*E*??? 446 15 hours ago
Flash/Arrow spin-off series 9 15 hours ago
`Scream` 5 16 hours ago
Marathonning/Series Length/Making it up as they go along 30 16 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  TV Series forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Nov 2, 2009
Latest post:  Sep 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions