Customer Discussions > TV Series forum

Downton Abbey

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 161 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 9, 2013 8:58:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2013 8:46:39 AM PST
Any Downton Abbey fans here? I've just recently gotten hooked on it.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 10:30:54 AM PST
Music Lover says:
Amy-yes I too am a late convert but it's very well done. I watched Season 1 and 2 on Netflix last fall after getting nonstop recommendations and I got hooked. So enjoying the new season now that I am caught up

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 2:07:27 PM PST
Hello...

This show seems to be on fire if the ratings are any indication. And it's so gorgeous to look at with those beautiful interiors of that estate. And I haven't been this hooked on a primetime soap since the shenanigans of "Dynasty" (showing my age here, lol).

"Downton Abbey" has good writing, acting, and particularly the cinematography-- every episode is like a quality movie.

Spoilers for last episode--
-
-
Looks like Edith will be wallowing in self pity after being left a the altar. I liked when she ran upstairs and dropped her veil, which wafted slowly down the staircase.

And the wicked footman Thomas better watch his back; the ladies maid O'Brien will surely be out to get him now. Love it.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 2:08:27 PM PST
PS:

Maggie Smith steals the show every week. She gets the best lines.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 1:08:59 PM PST
Music Lover says:
Baron-very true,Maggie does always have the best lines. It's difficult to pick one of the two-O'Brien and Thomas-to actually root for since they are both despicable but I'm now in O'Brien's corner

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 5:57:38 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 24, 2013 2:48:50 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 6:02:24 PM PST
Gets better every episode, and there is a 4 in the works. I never knew of Julian Fellowes as a writer, just acting from his last role "Lord Angus Kilwillie" of Monarch of The Glen. He has a winner here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 6:38:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2013 6:38:14 PM PST
If you like this show try Fellowes' film that he wrote, "Gosford Park". It's a fun English murder mystery, directed by Robert Altman.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 6:38:59 PM PST
Watched two seasons in two days? What a marathon!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013 12:41:49 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 24, 2013 2:48:35 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 12:51:51 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 24, 2013 2:48:38 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 3:06:27 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 24, 2013 2:48:44 PM PST]

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 7:30:13 AM PST
News about season 4:

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/03/comings-and-goings-downton-abbey-next-season

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 10:30:31 AM PST
Re: News about season 4

Sad to see that O'Brien won't be around, but I'm sure someone else will be making trouble. I loves me a villain!

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 10:53:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2013 10:57:00 PM PDT
Butterfly says:
Greetings!

This is a fantastic blog on Downton Abbey!

http://blogs.weta.org/tellyvisions/2013/02/24/downton-abbey-so-where-do-we-go-here

Posted on May 17, 2013 10:16:56 AM PDT
Rita Reader says:
I absolutely adore this show! It is such a beautiful cinematography to watch and the story really hooked me from the first. I saw the first season on Netflix, then bought the other two on dvd because I couldn't wait for the episodes. Now that's really hooked. I too love O'Brien. She is so deliciously nasty. Maggie Smith is so funny! Spoiler alert. It broke my heart when my favorite sister died!

Posted on May 17, 2013 3:06:58 PM PDT
Fans of Downton Abbey,

Check your local PBS listings tomorrow.... some channels are doing marathons of season 3 in the afternoon and into evening.

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 11:45:19 AM PDT
Rita Reader says:
Was anyone else amazed at how financially backward the father is? Wanting to invest in Ponzi? This guy has a talent for squandering money by the bucket load. I can't wait until the new season!

Posted on Jun 5, 2013 1:22:38 PM PDT
We have to wait until January 5. That seems long away. England gets to watch before us, in September. Lucky ducks.

Word has it that a new male in the show will be a black character. And the premiere episode supposedly begins with Matthew's funeral.

Maggie Smith did a rare interview on "60 Minutes" and she was so humble and charming. I can't imagine the show without her. She said she doesn't watch the show because she'd be criticizing her performance!

Posted on Jun 6, 2013 3:42:14 PM PDT
Rita Reader says:
Matthew's loss will be traumatic! I can't imagine what it will do to Mary. She will have to grow in integrity I am hoping and change for the better. Yes, January is so long to wait!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2013 4:32:27 PM PDT
Re: Mary

Part of what I enjoyed most about this character was the little bit of Scarlett O'Hara in her-- she often came off insulting or icy, sometimes willful, but you somehow saw something vulnerable underneath, which made you care. All in all she became a very complex character, and one of my favorites on this show. It will be daunting for her to move on after tragedy but it will make her more fierce and sturdy.

It should be interesting to see where the writers take things next winter. It'll be something to look forward to over the summer and autumn.

Posted on Jun 9, 2013 9:50:27 AM PDT
Rita Reader says:
I too am hoping to see some growth in Mary's character. Fortitude that will build her some integrity. And I am so tired of how they all pick on the other sister! I have wanted to slap their father senseless because of the way he insults her! Matthew was one that stood up for her, poor girl. I just hope she finds some happiness but that won't happen with the married man. They have excellent writers so I am hoping for a good season. I enjoy the period dramas. I think "The Importance of Being Earnest" with Reese Witherspoon and Colin Firth is my favorite of the films of this nature. So witty! Of course, I would watch Colin Firth read a phone book. I have a serious crush on him.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2013 4:23:22 PM PDT
Re: I am so tired of how they all pick on the other sister! I have wanted to slap their father senseless because of the way he insults her!

Reminds me of that old movie "The Heiress" with Olivia De Havilland as Catherine Sloper; her father treated her so badly.

Posted on Jun 14, 2013 2:11:16 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 15, 2013 2:59:43 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2013 5:51:03 PM PDT
A string of strapping guys wanting to lay Edith? Have you seen her? ;)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  TV Series forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  161
Initial post:  Jan 9, 2013
Latest post:  7 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions