Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports
Customer Discussions > TV Series forum

some SHORT-LIVED, ENIGMATIC SERIES : late '60's - early '70's

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 115 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 11, 2007 5:25:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 11, 2007 5:27:16 PM PDT
some of the most persistent TV memories come from some of the shortest-lived, single-season shows (the fact that they vanished so quickly makes them all the more compelling):

- CORONET BLUE (Summer, 1967): amnesiac drifter-drama
- The IMMORTAL ( 1970); SciFi with Christopher George
- SEARCH (1972): high-tech adventure series with 3 rotating leads
- STRANGE PARADISE (1970): Canada's answer to Dark Shadows; very moody

Anyone out there remember these?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2007 5:51:30 PM PDT
Jeff Bullock says:
yeah!!! SEARCH!! - we know that'll never show up on DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2007 10:17:02 PM PDT
John Largan says:
Sorry that I don't remember those. Do you remember MOTHER'S IN LAW (1967-1969) with Eve Arden and Kay Ballard?
Or how about NANNY AND THE PROFESSOR (Jan 1970 - Dec 1971) with Juliet Mills and Richard Long?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2007 8:50:14 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 16, 2008 2:43:16 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2007 11:50:16 AM PDT
I'm gooing way back to 1960, for a show i'd like to see again, "Malibu Run" Ron Ely was one of the stars. I just liked it so much, If only we had vcr's back then. I forgot all about "Search" from 1972. "Coronet Blue" It was going to be a fall start if I remember right? but was put on during the Summer on CBS.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2007 5:40:23 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2007 6:58:01 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 16, 2008 2:43:15 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2007 8:50:33 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 16, 2008 2:43:16 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2007 10:56:58 AM PDT
G. Snyder says:
I remember both series. I particularly enjoyed "Nanny and the Professor" in which enigmatic (later revealed to be magical) English nanny Phoebe Figalilly (Juliet Mills) arrives unannounced at the household of widower Professor Harold Everett (Richard Long) to help tend his his three children Hal, Butch (I believe his given name in the show was Bently), and young Prudence. Some at the time scoffed at it as a rip-off of "Mary Poppins" which may be true: there is little true originality in many shows. As an aside, A.J. Carothers, who created and scripted the show, also wrote "Hero at Large" which starred the late John Ritter and Anne Archer. Although the series never plainly revealed it, an animated Saturday Morning Movie written by Carothers and voiced by the original actors that aired after the original series ended showed Nanny to indeed have magical powers rather than just highly developed intution or some form of ESP (anyone remember "The Girl with Something Extra" with Karen Valentine?). As with many sitcoms there was a subtle undercurrent of possible romantic attraction between Nanny and the Professor, but this never materialized.

I for one would like to see this show on DVD, although my guess is that there would be legal wrangling as with many other as yet unreleased shows.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2007 10:00:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2007 10:05:17 AM PDT
Hi, GHS.

I very vaguely remember THE IMMORTAL. I do have more vivd memories of SEARCH (which I believe began life as the pilot film PROBE, with Hugh O'Brien) and the Gothic soap STRANGE PARADISE.

The Scream Channel here in Canada re-ran SP a few years ago. Also, there were 3 paperback tie-in novels by Dorothy Daniels. The first half of the episodes took place on the tropical island of Maljardin (French for "garden of evil"), and then the action shifted to the lead character's ancestral home in Edmonton, Alberta (in western Canada)! Voodoo, zombies, ghosts, reincarnates... the show had it all!

Both cool shows. STRANGE PARADISE was available briefly on VHS, I think, but nothing (yet) on DVD.

Thanks for the memories!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2007 2:07:57 PM PDT
Dan Hiland says:
I remember "The Immortal". It was sort of a cross between the Fugitive and Invader series'.

Here are several others I wish would come out on DVD:

Thriller (w/Boris Karloff) 60's
Hennessey (w/Jackie Cooper) 60's
It's A Man's World (Ted Bessell and others) 60's
Our Miss Brooks (Eve Arden, Richard Crenna) 50's
Nichols (James Garner) 70's
Maverick (James Garner) 50's
Life of Riley (William Bendix) 50's
Then Came Bronson 70's
Max Headroom 80's
The Defenders 60's
Ben Casey 60's
77 Sunset Strip 60's
Dennis The Menace 60's
Hawaiian Eye 60's

Buying those would keep me broke (but happy) for a good long while.

Dan Hiland

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2007 9:55:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 17, 2007 9:56:58 AM PDT
Yes, Thriller was a great show, way ahead of its time! I watched it as a child, and it used to scare the bejesus out of me. Then, I saw some of the episodes on VHS a few years ago (especially "The Incredible Dr. Markesan"), and it had pretty near the same effect!

A complete DVD would be fantastic!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2007 10:25:26 AM PDT
How about Ghost Story/Circle of Fear from 1972-73 on NBC? Sebastian Cabot played the host Winston Essex for the first season when it was Ghost Story. That was terrific suspense for it's time!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2007 9:46:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2007 10:20:33 AM PST
I also remember Ghost Story/Circle of Fear. It was terrific. I particularly recall the episode about the small town sheriff who murders his unfaithful wife and her lover, and then starts seeing them both on TV. And the one where John Astin starred as a washed-up horror star who was being haunted by the characters he played. And my favorite episode "Elegy for a Vampire." Thanks for bringing back those memories, Stephen. That would be great to see again!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2007 4:13:17 PM PDT
Coronet Blue says:
I remember Coronet Blue.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2007 4:35:02 PM PDT
Ranger Pat says:
Coronet Blue...that had Frank Converse in it, right? Who was also in a show called NYPD, and then in Convoy with Claude Akins. Do you remember him, and those shows?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2007 4:35:57 PM PDT
Ranger Pat says:
PS Really good point about the memorable short-lived shows.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2007 9:58:33 PM PDT
Sally Field was 'The Girl With Something Extra,' opposite John Davidson.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2007 7:43:38 AM PDT
To P.D.L.:
I do remember Frank Converse (although did not follow his shows after N.Y.P.D.). In fact, his commitment to N.Y.P.D. prevented a second season of Coronet Blue ( at least that's the story I read in one of those comprehensive TV show reference guides). Leaving Coronet Blue's plotline unanswered (we're never told "Michael Alden's" true identity), simply furthers the the cult-status of this mysterious, offbeat show.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2007 10:01:30 AM PDT
I think the show with Claude Akins was called "Movin' On", NBC, It was one of then, president Ford's favorites. Gives you some idea of how long ago it's been. As for Coronet Blue, I don't remember CBS wanting to go a another season. Could be wrong,

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2007 12:51:42 PM PDT
DL Minor says:
Hi All,

I'm drawing a complete blank with regards to the show Coronet Blue--could someone fill me in a bit on its cast and premise? Apologies if I'm making anyone repeat themselves...

I do recall "The Immortal" as I had a HUGE pre-adolescent crush on actor Christopher George, then married I believe to pretty blond actress Lynda Day George, who was all over series TV in those days...

I also remember some of the others mentioned, including "Nanny and The Professor", a sweet show which featured a lovely opening theme by the Addrissi Brothers, who had a couple of seventies pop hits ("We've Got To Get It On Again" among others), and Sally Field and John Davidson as young marrieds in "The Girl With Something Extra." I recall also that after her stint as the vulnerable, idealistic Alice Johnson on "Room 222", Karen Valentine did have a show of her own around this time, simply titled "Karen" if I'm not mistaken, though I don't remember now what that show was about. I don't think it lasted even a season.

And the memory of the gritty sixties police drama "N.Y.P.D." is just out of my reach, unfortunately, as I was VERY young when it debuted. I came across its original opening theme on a great website awhile back, which triggered a frustratingly hazy, half-recall of the show. I know it starred Jack Warden, Frank Converse and Robert Hooks.

But does anyone remember the wonderful Richard Benjamin-Paula Prentiss sitcom "He & She"?? My dearest wish is to see this show, which debuted in 1968 and lasted only one season despite all the talent involved, released on DVD. TVLand featured a back-to-back episode run of it several years ago as a tribute to the recently deceased Jack Cassidy, who played the hilariously egomaniacal Oscar North, and alas, I missed it completely because my cable service didn't then offer the channel. Major bummer.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2007 2:47:28 PM PDT
Ranger Pat says:
Glen Howard's son,
Speaking of cults, we were smitten enough with Frank Converse that we actually went to see him on Broadway, where he appeared in Philadelphia Story with Blythe Danner (now known as Gwyneth Paltrow's mom, but she was a busy actress back then). He was good!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2007 2:50:35 PM PDT
Ranger Pat says:
I remember He & She...it was terrific! I never got why that didn't last, because it was so funny. Later, Richard Benjamin used his comic talents as a director. Not sure about Paula Prentiss, but she was wonderful on that show. They were really married, isn't that right?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2007 11:53:39 AM PDT
I remember an enjoyed SERCH a lot. I can not wait to have it released on a DVD set I would buy it in a NY minute.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2007 11:56:51 AM PDT
AMEN to Maverick (especially 57 thru 60) and Hawaiian Eye.

What I would not give to see those in a DVD set.

I vaguely remember Hennessey.

Does anyone remember the TV version of the Wackiest Ship in the Army??
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the TV Series forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Martial Law starriing Sammo Hung 10 6 minutes ago
Chesapeake Shores 0 40 minutes ago
best tv shows made in australia 2791 51 minutes ago
`*`*The Tour de France*`*` 137 1 hour ago
Guess That TV Show Quote! 88 8 hours ago
TV shows that should definitely be banned! 14 9 hours ago
The Exorcist is going to be a TV series on Fox this Fall 2 14 hours ago
What TV Commercials do you Hate? 372 17 hours ago
Team Ninja Warrior 137 18 hours ago
-What Are You Listening To- 1166 21 hours ago
*★* The Hollywood Hot Tub *★* 5743 22 hours ago
for fans of Classic Television 847 22 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  TV Series forum
Participants:  71
Total posts:  115
Initial post:  Oct 11, 2007
Latest post:  Feb 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions