The Outsider starring Darren McGavin

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2007 1:49:56 PM PST
I've given up looking for a dvd or vhs of the tv series of the late
60s: The Outsider. Darren McGavin did a great job starring as
the sometimes befuddled private investigator David Ross. There
were a couple of pilot movies which were great also, but the series
was very humorous. One episode featured a very young Bruce Lee.
This show was opposite Hawaii Five O and I couldn't believe that it got beat in the ratings, because the only thing I liked about Five O
was the Ventures' theme song. Hope someday this classic series becomes available on dvd. McGavin was one of the most underrated actors of his day.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2007 9:35:54 PM PST
Hi,

I loved the Outsider. Anything with Mr McGavin in it gets my vote. He came to Sydney in the 70s to star in and direct an episode of 'The Evil Touch' which was hosted by Anthony Quayle. The house they used for this episode was owned by my parents! I was too young to remember anything other than we had to stay in a hotel for tww weeks. "The Evil Touch is one of those childhood memory shows that i've vainly benn trying to track down. Was it ever shown in US?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2007 5:46:35 AM PST
Don't remember "The Evil Touch" but it's a shame that more of those old television productions weren't saved. There were some
great Playhouse 90 shows, M-Squad, Richard
Diamond, Inner Sanctum, and others that I'd
be happy to view again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2007 7:57:11 PM PST
I think i saw Richard Diamond is available here on amazon. My mother's a huge David Janssen fan, will try and get it for christmas. The Playhouse 90 and Philco playhouse would definitely be a treat.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2008 12:09:35 PM PST
The Evil Touch did air here in the US as a syndicated series during the 1973-74 season. I remember it airing late Sunday evenings (around 10:30 pm) in my home area of southwest Virginia (as a syndicated show, it aired in various timeslots around the country). My clearest memory (I was 10 at the time) was Anthony Quayle's opening/closing monologues. I have since obtained about half the series from a collector in Canada. I hope soon to transfer them to DVD. It would be wonderful to see the series get an official DVD release, as many shows that are just as obscure seem to be getting the treatment.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2010 6:28:01 AM PDT
available at www.orders@tvaddicts.tv for $77 plus shipping. I also got 10 episodes and pilot film from a www.ioffer.com buyer (just enter Darren McGavin or The Outsider) but have just ordered the complete series from tv addicts today so no idea what the quality will be like.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2010 7:20:21 AM PDT
Sounds interesting, I'll check it out. I remember renting a vhs about 25 years ago that was one of
the two pilot films for the Outsider, but haven't seen that or anything else related to the series available ever since. Thanks for the post.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2010 7:25:23 AM PDT
Wow, looks like tvaddicts has a pretty sad reputation. Hope your order arrives in good condition.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2010 6:53:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2010 6:59:05 PM PDT
S. Frye says:
Shirley says.......
Dan O. Kleinman,
I rrreally liked Darren McGavin;
he wasn't in his series very long to show his series was well worth, watching.
I guess putting him against Hawaii Five-O did it...On that show there were a few actors I liked..BUT NOT Jack Lord............

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 5:56:15 PM PST
Hi I just saw this post as I was looking into buying The Outsider from ioffer as well, I was just wondering how the quality was, thanks!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the TV Series forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  TV Series forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2007
Latest post:  Dec 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions