Customer Discussions > TV Series forum

The Twilight Zone is the greatest TV show EVER!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 3, 2013 4:19:53 PM PST
After watching the Twilight Zone Marathon New Years Eve and New Years Day Ive come to the conclusion that no other TV show as aged better& longer than The Twilight Zone. The acting, writing, directing and music are brilliant. Is there another show as great? I think not!

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 6:15:23 PM PST
I have all three shows (1959, 1985 and 2002) on DVD The Original is the best, but the others are pretty good too. I also recommend The Outer Limits and Thriller, which are also available on DVD.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 1:58:01 PM PST
S. Stalcup says:
Rod Serling is/was/ever shall be a genius, and over half a century later, the messages remain frighteningly relevant. I miss the days during the summer when it was on after the late news on WGN Chicago and then I'd flip over to the local NBC affiliate for Carson.

However, is anyone else bored with seeing the same bloody episodes every New Year's? The marathon might as well be titled, "The Twilight Zone Episodes Featuring Dick York, Bill Shatner and Cliff Robertson Marathon." All those years it was on and every year, it's always Cliff Robertson climbing the hill into the 20th century, "The Shat" feeding coins into the fortune teller machine or seeing the evil Mon-Chi-Chi on the wing, and Darren #1 either gaining telepathic abilities or being one of the soldiers with the death glow around his face.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 3:03:43 PM PST
That's why it's great to have the DVDs. Not only does "SyFy" show the same, stale episodes on Holiday Weekends, but they probably hack it to ribbons to add commercials. Keep your eyes on the bargain bins and you can get all three versions for less than what it cost's for a Month's Cable (in 2006)!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 4:06:15 PM PST
S. Stalcup says:
Yep, I got the classic series but made bloody well sure it wasn't the remastered version. Twilight Zone is one of those series where tarting it up shows the man behind the curtain operating The Wizard. It needs that foggy atmospheric aspect to it.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 7:35:32 PM PST
One of the Greatest - yes. Certain episodes are still great. It has to hit you at the right time. Rod Serling says so much in around 2 or 3 sentences. I think I love Rod at the beginning and the end of each show the most.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 12:28:12 PM PST
I wanted to buy the set on Blu-Ray when it was on sale last week, but decided to wait for a better price. There is a channel on cable called "ME TV" (Memorable Entertainment I think) that has been showing a lot of Twilight Zone (original) episodes I have never seen before (and I have been watching TZ for decades). I have to agree, when they have those marathons, it seems like I have seen every episode 100 times.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 2:15:51 PM PST
The DVD set, The Twilight Zone: The Complete Definitive Collection, is so sharp in image and audio, I may not even get those blu-rays. I mean, you can see the actors' pores.

I agree, it's a marvelous television series that still has powerful messages and stories ... after fifty years plus. It could make you feel like a kid again, make you get all choked up, make you laugh, make you frightened.

I don't watch them on TV because they trim them to fit more ads. But I guess edited TZ is better than no TZ.

The other day I was watching one that Serling penned, "Uncle Simon", sort of a mad scientist tale about a bitter lady who tends to her crotchety and elderly uncle (who has a secret experiment hidden in a closet). The insults alone that the old scientist and his niece hurl at each other are such wicked fun.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 4:24:06 PM PST
Yes, the clarity of programming on DVD is incredible. But it does have a downside. I was watching an episode of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea where the sub had been invaded by some alien lifeform. Whenever you saw the "Creature" it was obvious it was made out of Garbage Bags! <LOL>

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 5:25:21 PM PST
Yep, like noticing all the wires attached to the alien ship in the movie "War of the Worlds".
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  TV Series forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Jan 3, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions