Customer Discussions > TV Series forum

Doctor Who

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 30, 2012 12:05:44 PM PDT
Does anyone know if we are going to be able to rent the new season of Doctor Who? It starts Sat. And I'm afaid of withdrawàl symptoms:)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2012 3:34:45 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
you will have to wait a year for the conclusion of the series/season and wait for the official region 1 Blu-ray/DVD release like the rest of us or download it as it gets posted by a British Internet user.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2012 5:52:12 PM PDT
Bummer. I was hoping we could purchase the season and watch it a few days later like I have in the past. Most unhappy!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2012 6:53:15 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
Since you have no such connections, Bummer Indeed.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 9:20:56 PM PDT
chickens says:
"Asylum of the Daleks" just aired on BBC America. I find a lot of Doctor Who repeats are aired on there, so you may be able to catch a repeat of it.

Also, it was awesome!

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 6:51:48 PM PDT
Hootay I just purchased a season pass for Doctor Who! Breaking out the tea and jammy dogers. Alons y

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 6:29:05 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
who is the new companion?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 6:57:23 PM PDT
Jenna-Louise Coleman playing Clara Oswin. Did you see the first episode Asylum of the Daleks? Great one.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 11:20:41 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
I don't have Cable/Satellite so I will have to wait until they release it on Blu-ray .

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 8:03:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 15, 2012 8:06:57 AM PDT
DroidTV PrimetimeI don't either. You can buy the episodes from Amazon to download. They're 1.99@ or 1.89 if you get the subscription. Ther's also an app for the Kindle Fire "droid tv" it has Doctor Who and a bunch of other current and past tv shows. Its about 3.00 a month, 8.99 for three months. Hope you can get it, its really been worth it to me. Lots cheaper than paying cable that's for sure.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 10:18:33 AM PDT
I thought I'd post this as it has a few interesting Dr. Who links on it. Supposedly you can watch some of the newer eps. from a link on it like the first two eps. Also there's some other cool stuff like a non spoiler review of the newest ep. A Town Called Mercy, a 2012 clip from Dragon Con with Sylvester McCoy in it, and a young four year old who reviews the ep. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, very cute, here's a link: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58338

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 5:58:42 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
Much cheaper if I wait and buy the Blu-ray once the season is over. I don't like to watch one episode and have to wait a few weeks for another. Better to just wait then when I watch it ,I can do a Marathon Session.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 2:53:28 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
Today only ,you can get the David Tenant Years Boxed Set for under $70.00 in the Gold Box Deals.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 3:47:07 PM PDT
El Emmarino says:
Thank you for the notice.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 5:33:33 PM PDT
Richard says:
Yea, but BBC America cuts the shows to ribbons. I am sure they are going to reduce "Christmas Invasion" to 30 minutes any day now.

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 6:22:30 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
I wish they would release the first Series of Doctor Who but most are lost or the masters were recorded over back in the 50's.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 1:55:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2012 1:59:51 AM PDT
Green Meanie, I hope this will help you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who

Missing episodes
Main article: Doctor Who missing episodes
Between about 1964 and 1973, large amounts of older material stored in the BBC's various video tape and film libraries were either destroyed,[note 2] wiped or suffered from poor storage which led to severe deterioration from broadcast quality. This included many old episodes of Doctor Who, mostly stories featuring the first two Doctors: William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton. In all, 106 of 253 episodes produced during the first six years (most notably series 3, 4, & 5, from which 88 episodes are missing) of the programme are not held in the BBC's archives. In 1972 almost all episodes then made were known to exist at the BBC,[42] while by 1978 the practice of wiping tapes and destroying 'spare' film copies had ended.[43]
No 1960s episodes exist on their original videotapes (all surviving copies being film copies), though some were transferred to film for editing before transmission, and these exist as originally transmitted.[44]
Some episodes have been returned to the BBC from the archives of other countries who bought copies for broadcast, or by private individuals who acquired them by various means. Early colour videotape recordings made off-air by fans have also been retrieved, as well as excerpts filmed from the television screen onto 8 mm cine film and clips that were shown on other programmes. Audio versions of all of the lost episodes exist from home viewers who made tape recordings of the show.
In addition to these, there are off-screen photographs made by photographer John Cura, who was hired by various production personnel to document many of their programmes during the 1950s and 1960s, including Doctor Who. These have been used in fan reconstructions of the serials. These amateur reconstructions have been tolerated by the BBC, provided they are not sold for profit and are distributed as low quality VHS copies.[45]
One of the most sought-after lost episodes is Part Four of the last William Hartnell serial, The Tenth Planet (1966), which ends with the First Doctor transforming into the Second. The only portion of this in existence, barring a few poor quality silent 8 mm clips, is the few seconds of the regeneration scene, as it was shown on the children's magazine show Blue Peter.[46] With the approval of the BBC, efforts are now under way to restore as many of the episodes as possible from the extant material.
"Official" reconstructions have also been released by the BBC on VHS, on MP3 CD-ROM and as a special feature on a DVD. The BBC, in conjunction with animation studio Cosgrove Hall has reconstructed the missing Episodes 1 and 4 of The Invasion (1968), using remastered audio tracks and the comprehensive stage notes for the original filming, for the serial's DVD release in November 2006. Although no similar reconstructions had been announced as of 2010, Cosgrove Hall has expressed an interest in animating more lost episodes in the future.[47] Announced in June 2011, the missing episodes of The Reign of Terror will be animated by animation company Theta-Sigma in collaboration with Big Finish.[48]
In April 2006, Blue Peter launched a challenge to find these missing episodes with the promise of a full scale Dalek model as a reward.[49]
In December 2011, it was announced that part 3 of Galaxy 4 and part 2 of The Underwater Menace had been returned to the BBC by a fan who had purchased them in the mid-1980s without realising that the BBC did not hold copies of them.[50]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 9:20:38 AM PDT
Green Meanie says:
Thanks Kaycee. Crying shame ! So many early episodes are lost for good .

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 5:02:25 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
Some sites you can download the new episodes for free.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the TV Series forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
-What Are You Listening To- 343 34 minutes ago
BBBB 1159 2 hours ago
Humans 51 3 hours ago
TV Shows you wish were on DVD 5853 9 hours ago
Get the great Benny Hill Complete and Unadulterated Megaset here at amazon! Hill's show was considered better than Monty Python by two UHF stations (WOR and WLVI)---I agree! 153 9 hours ago
Tic-Tac-Toe 1382 11 hours ago
***Code Black*** 2 12 hours ago
best tv shows made in australia 2271 15 hours ago
Fargo 273 23 hours ago
"HannibaL"~~~Season 3 169 23 hours ago
Mr. Robot 47 1 day ago
`*`*The Tour de France*`*` 79 1 day ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  TV Series forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Aug 30, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions