Customer Discussions > TV Series forum

Old Classic Tv Shows vs Modern Day Tv Shows/Which Are Better?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2011 3:40:08 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Hi David!

re:Old school all the way...
I heard that!

re:i could go on and on
By all means my friend please do so!

We want you to share your list of favs and your classic old school tv dvd collection with us!

re:old school is the only way
SAY IT LOUDER!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2011 3:48:50 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
re:I watched Silver Streak last night.

I have that movie in my collection! Isn't that a funny movie?
That is the first of four classics that Gene Wilder & Richard Pryor have done 2gether. I list all four of their movies on my Funniest Tv(movie)Character Thread. Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder were GR8 2GETHER!

R.I.P Gene Wilder

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 3:52:02 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Gentleman...

The money spent/invested on classic tv shows on dvd is well worth it!

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 4:21:47 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
The Late Great 2Pac:

"Old School"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB7cV3oJQFc

"Back To The Old School"(remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G89dKJXJFNA

It Ain't Nothin' Like The Old School!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2011 5:13:27 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
re: And I could care less who wins on "Dancing With the Stars"

AMEN!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2011 6:03:59 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
William:

re:I do have some of them organized,one rack is for Comedy,...another is Action-Adventure...

You have a whole rack of Comedy,and a whole rack of Action-Adventure? That's very good William!

Why don't you come to my Funniest Tv(movie)Character Thread,and let's talk about those comedies! Why don't you come to my Fav Action/Adventure Characters Thread,and let's talk about those Action/Adventure shows! I doubt that I have as many as you...but I will try my best to keep up!

Everyone else is invited as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2011 7:51:13 AM PDT
W.T. says:
The quality of writing was vastly superior on the old shows. Many of them contained an entire additional act of script than the dumbed-down modern shows. You won't, for example, see a show on TV today that is as mature as Gunsmoke, even though that show still was "kid friendly" in terms of content. The more mature shows today are very juvenile by comparison. Perhaps it's just a reflection of culture. Adults are not as adult as they were forty years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2011 8:19:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2011 8:20:47 AM PDT
JR Fleming says:
W K,
It is tempting to look at the past through rose colored glasses and think how much better things were then. You are right, Gunsmoke was a great show, but it could descend to the absolute maudlin at times. Then, as now, most of what was on TV was really pretty bad. Remember My Mother, The Car? The awful acting and preachyness of Dragnet?

I doubt that you could support the contention that adults were "more adult" 40 years ago. People have been saying things like that since Plato and it really has never been true. Looking at this as a 57 year old who grew up back then.
Good recent shows?
Lost
Castle
Bones
Fringe
Battlestar Galactica
In Plain Sight
Rome
Deadwood
Closer
Eureka

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 8:24:51 AM PDT
Isn't that the truth! Unfortunatly, the Companies that own the Networks decided they weren't making enough money, so, in their Corporate Greed they decided to "Eliminate the Middleman" (The Writers) and have "unscripted" TV Shows in their place. And they wonder why they are losing viewers!

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 12:44:11 AM PDT
M. Whorton says:
re:I watched Silver Streak last night.
I have that movie in my collection! Isn't that a funny movie?

Yes. I enjoyed watching the movie. I eventually buy it on DVD. Amazon has it for $5. I also watched Bustin Loose when it came on Bounce TV. It was OK but I don't care to watch it again so I won't buy the DVD. When I cut the cord 3 years ago I had no idea free over the air subchannels like MeTV, This TV, and Bounce TV would show up. In this economy its nice not to have to pay for everything you watch. Streaming video on Hulu and Youtube is also nice for free programming.

Over the last 2 years I have basically stopped spending money on things to watch. I've got most of my favorites already in my DVD collection.

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 4:57:15 AM PDT
Got my wife hooked on Have gun will travel after buying Nowhere Man,, but The Unit , Dexter , Lie To Me are all excellent. My Opinion that things are getting better after years of nothing great , proceeded by great classics like Leave it to Beaver , Baa Baa Black Sheep ,, My Mom's Favorites Perry Mason , Heart to Heart . Endless list of good shows from over the years .

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2011 5:01:06 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
You are exactly right. With this bad economy the last thing we need to be doing is throwing away so much money on television. You did the right thing to cut the cord. As long as you're happy,well entertained,and content,that's all that matters. You can't put a price on peace of mind. It is priceless,just as is a collection of all of your favorite classic shows on dvd.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2011 5:09:45 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Hi Pete,

Yes I agree...there are some good shows on tv today that are worth watching...and they can become addictive,but in my opinion,as far as good shows are concerned...the shows of yesterday outnumber today's shows by far,the past have produced so many classics,I think after the 80's the number of classic shows began to decline.

Yes the 90's did have some classics,but not nearly as many as the 80's.

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 5:10:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 13, 2011 5:13:19 AM PDT
Just got feed up with NetFlix price . Screwed up disks Might try Block Buster next . can not afford to buy it all ....... I agree the old shows are the best Probably always will be the best .

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 6:35:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 13, 2011 6:36:43 AM PDT
I remember as a Child every Sunday Morning I'd get the Newspaper, and the first thing I'd look for is the TV Listings to see what was going to be aired that week. There would be those days when there was a lot of good stuff to watch, other times there'd be an evening or two where there'd be "nothing on TV" (Usually because of a Presidential Address or News Conference). Today I just toss the listings in the Recycle Bin along with the rest of the paper after I'm finished reading it, I simply don't need it anymore. Tonight's TV Schedule:

The Twilight Zone Season 4

The Outer Limits Season 1

(I always break out my "Spooky" TV Shows in October, it's that time of the year!)

Star Trek: Voyager season 2

Highway Patrol Season 3 (Thanks ioffer!)

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 12:48:57 AM PDT
M. Whorton says:
My schedule on DVD lately has been The A-Team season 2 and The Chronological Donald Volume 3. I watched a documentary on PBS Thursday Night called Make Em Laugh: The funny business of America. It was a show about sitcoms from when they started up untill the 90s.

My favorite Halloween Movie is Transylvania 6-5000 with Jeff Goldblum and Ed Begley Jr.

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 2:02:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2011 2:03:39 AM PDT
I have all three Twilight Zone Series, and they show the effects of "Commercial Creep" over the years.

The Original ran 26 Minutes per episode (Except Season Four, which ran 52 Minutes).

The 1980s Version ran 24 Minutes an episode.

The 2002 Version ran 20 Minutes an episode. :(

In any event I love the luxery of watching all of them WITHOUT Commercials. :P

My Favorate Halloween Movies are Poltergeist and Ghostbusters.

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 4:26:30 PM PDT
Hunter says:
Tales of the Gold Monkey, Ellery Queen Mysteries, Sgt. Preston, Real McCoys, Captain Midnight, Quark (the show, not the character...though no problem with the character). Alfred Hitchcock, Perry Mason (TOS), Thriller, One Step Beyond, Science Fiction Theater, Man and Girl from UNCLE, Jack Benny Showm My Little Margie, Peter Gunn, 77 Sunset Strip and it's afters from WB and so forth and.......

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2011 4:29:56 PM PDT
Hunter says:
Make 'em Laugh is available here on Amazon - the whole set as best I can tell. I do not work for Amazon, but I order a lot from them.

Left Amos and Andy off my faves list - Beulah too and damn them for letting the prints of almost all the Beulah shows vanish.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2011 1:10:36 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Hi Hunter,

I see you named 2 mystery/whodunit shows...Alfred Hitchcock and Perry Mason as your favs...I like these shows also,and to add to them...Murder She Wrote,Columbo,Matlock,and Hart To Hart. I would have to say the latter 2 are my favs.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2011 1:13:19 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Hunter,
Amazon is a very good site to order from! What other shows have you ordered from them?

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 11:43:36 PM PDT
With exception to the remake of Battlestar Galactica, and a handful of new shows, the TV networks are inundating us with reality tv crap that is supposedly "unscripted" (I still think that Rachel winning the $$ on Big Brother was fixed) I find myself watching, thanks to Netflix and DVD, all the older shows. Now if they would only release some more episodes of Chips, Fantasy Island, and other classic TV.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2011 2:15:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2011 2:16:17 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Hi Bradley,
Aren't the older shows great? They are truly classic! It's too bad that not many of our favorite shows of old that we love and grew up with are not being aired. Instead we are being hit with this reality crap that is ruining television today. Thank God for old classic tv shows on dvd! Chips and Fantasy Island are 2 favs of mine,along with T.J.Hooker and The Love Boat.

Doesn't it suck when you have to wait for so long for additional seasons 2B released? What do you have in your collection so far?

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 11:00:43 PM PDT
B. Blankholm says:
Ooh, Tec9, I am glad that you mentioned that one of your favorite action/adventure shows is Starsky & Hutch! I watched a lot of TV in the 70's, most of it was pretty silly (Mork & Mindy, Happy Days, ect...) The 80's were pretty boring, with the exception of Magnum PI, Hill Street Blues and Maybe Simon & Simon. Absolutely could not stand Greatest American Hero! I get the premise, but the show was just awful.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2011 11:46:14 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Hi B.B.
Yes I like Starsky And Hutch,both the tv show and the movie! I think the 70's was a great decade for television! Yes it did have it's "silliness and campiness",ie:Charlie's Angels,WonderWoman,Dukes Of Hazzard...etc,but you just had to love it! Magnum P.I,Hill Street Blues,and Simon & Simon were 3 Great Action/Adventure shows of the 80's! And there were so many more,such as The A-Team,Knight Rider,Hunter,The Fall Guy,Airwolf,Blue Thunder...and more! I can't believe you found the 80's 2B boring!

Do you have a Fav Classic Tv Show On Dvd Collection list that you would like to share with us?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the TV Series forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  TV Series forum
Participants:  87
Total posts:  2211
Initial post:  Sep 30, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions