Customer Discussions > TV Series forum

I Dream of Jeannie vs Bewitched-Which was the better show,and who was more powerful,Jeannie or Samantha?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 108 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 5, 2008 9:42:44 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 16, 2011 9:56:01 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2008 4:36:06 PM PDT
I loved Liz Montgomery so it's her.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2008 8:37:05 PM PDT
Mel says:
I loved both shows but I Dream of Jeannie was definitely funnier and she was much more powerful. I felt as if Bewitched was just a spin off of Jeannie.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2008 10:40:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2008 2:29:03 PM PDT
I didn't expect to write so much on this post but after comparing the two shows it's interesting to consider certain things.

Everyone will have a different favorite, most likely. I like Jeannie the best because it was really cartoony in its slapstick and wacky situations. It always had me laughing; Bewitched was fun and charming but rarely hilarious.

As far as "who was more powerful", Sam or Jeannie, there isn't that much difference.

Both sitcoms, though, had a leading male character who had problems with not letting these ladies do their thing: 'We have to look normal! We need to fit in! Don't take me to Barbados for the weekend, I have to work!' LOL... But I guess if the men weren't like this, there would be no conflict and therefore no sitcom. I mean, a man who has a genie and enjoys her powers would be boring after a while... However, a man who works at NASA and needs to seem perfectly normal, who happens to have an interfering genie, can be a funny situation.

And unfortunately Bewitched eventually became a predictable formula of "How do Sam & Darrin explain the (mythical creature/figure from history/animal) in their home as part of the ad campaign for McMann & Tate?" That got tired really fast because the writers relied way too heavily on that chestnut. Time and time again they would go back to take a dip from that well.

Bewitched had many more minor/recurring characters than Jeannie did, due to Samantha's weird and fun family: Aunt Clara, Aunt Hagatha, Uncle Arthur, Cousin Serena, Dr. Bombay, Esmeralda, and so on.
Darrin's parents were amusing, particularly Mrs. Stephens with her frequent sick headaches. Gladys Kravitz was the shrieking, nosey neighbor who somehow never was able to convince hubby Abner of supernatural goings on across the street. Jeannie had no recurring neighbor character (luckily, as that would have been another copy of the other show).
I hated the Larry Tate character on Bewitched. A typical executive idiot/weasel; and not nasty enough to be funny. Actually, a short tempered, pompous type like Mr. Mooney from The Lucy Show would have made a much better boss for Darrin.

I have to say, Elizabeth Montgomery and Agnes Moorehead were better than the material they were given, and made it work. Moorehead had been in numerous films (including Citizen Kane), radio theater, and TV appearances like the Twilight Zone where a woman is faced with tiny alien invaders in her simple farm house.

And as for "Jeannie", Larry Hagman was physically fantastic with his pratfalls. He was like a cartoon character. How many times did he trip, flip over backwards, fall down, bump into things. And he was the perfect 'straight man' to the wacky characters around him: Jeannie, Roger, Dr. Bellows.

Both women in these shows played dual roles; Barbara Eden actually played three (Jeannie, her naughty brunette sister, and her guilt-trip of a mother).

While I like both shows, I love "I Dream of Jeannie". Jeannie is so childlike in many ways... and her learning about how to live like a human made the show so charming and silly. In that way, her show had a leg up over Bewitched (comedy-wise): Samantha somehow just seemed to know how to act and appear mortal/human for some reason which was never explained. Darrin and Sam met and started dating and eventually wed, so she was already pretending to be a mortal even before meeting him. Jeannie was released from her bottle by Major Nelson, having no knowledge of human ways, and she had to adapt like the classic fish out of water scenario. That is what made "I Dream of Jeannie" funny to me -- watching her try to get accustomed to our world, and the silly results.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2008 10:35:09 AM PDT
My personal preference is for I Dream of Jeannie. I becamse a fan of the show as a kid because I was crazy about astronauts and the space program, and I always enjoyed that element of the show. Bewitched started one year earlier than Jeannie, and so it is obvious that Jeannie was something of a copycat idea of bewitched, but in 1965 the who country was Space-crazy over NASA's programs, and the shows producers were rather astute in capitalizing on that fact.

But I think I Dream of Jeannie is a superior show because it is more whimsical, more focussed on the supernatural elements. Bewitched is sometimes not much more than a domestic sitcom with a little bit of magic potions thrown in.

Although, as a male, given a choice between Elizabeth Montgomery or Barabara Eden - now there's a tough choice. A win-win conundrum, but still a tough choice....

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2008 12:06:57 PM PDT
DEWEY M. says:
I'd like to point out that "Bewitched" premiered in 1964, "Jeannie" in 1965-- so, guess which show is the rip-off. I know Elizabeth Montgomery felt "Jeannie" rip-off "Bewitched" formula-- making it cheap and tawdry. "Jeannie" worked because of the incredible chemistry between Barbara Eden & Larry Hagman, but the show was not very well written. It depends on what you want-- a sitcom where unconditional love is the most powerful magic in the universe ("Bewitched") or a hetrosexual male fantasy ("Jeannie.") Interesting thing about "Jeannie"-- just who was "Master" in that relationship? I think Jeannie had Tony wrapped around her bottle!

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2008 1:09:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2008 1:13:00 PM PDT
Watching over In England I simply loved ;"Bewitched", Elizabeth Montgomery was gorgeous and I loved her TV family life. (Dick York)
"I Dream of Jennie", I always felt was the bastardized daughter show.
The comedy was too obvious and over played.
Well that's my opinion both shows were good but ;"Bewitched" reached the finishing line first. And tickled my funny bone the most.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2008 5:33:16 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2008 6:28:10 AM PDT
The movie based on "Bewtiched" was absolutely and undeniably a piece of atrocious dreck. I tried renting it but it was like torture sitting through that waste of film. The main flaw was that the script was all wrong.
The casting was iffy for Darrin; Ferrell is fine but Jim Carrey would have been better. I just couldn't believe what a big snooze that flick was. Hollywood is so clueless.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2008 7:37:33 AM PDT
Sabrina Bush says:
I preferred Bewitched. It was the first and it had the incredible Elizabeth Montgomery. Samantha was really smart and she could have zapped up a spell on the most handsome man in the world, but she truly fell in love with the rather goofy looking Darren. Liz and Dick York had great chemistry, that is what was lacking with Dick Sargent, the second Darren
and what I think had a lot to do with the fall in ratings. I think Bewitched was more slightly geared towards women: twitch your nose and clean the house in ten seconds or zap up a designer dress and a gorgeous hairstyle in nothing flat.
How many of us gals would love that? Don't we all want the kind of love that Sam and Darren had?
I liked Jeannie ,too. Barbara Eden and the adorable young Larry Hagman were so sexy, you were pulling for them to get together. That was more a man's fantasy: gorgeous woman, scantily clad, to wait on you hand and foot. That show was dull when they finally married. Both shows eventually ran out of ideas, and I think American tastes changed. As for the Bewitched movie, Will Ferrell was atrocious, but I think he is overrated. I thought the script stunk. Nicole Kidman was reason enough to give me enjoyment watching the movie, I just love her. Steve Carell was inspired as Uncle Arthur.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2008 2:54:05 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 28, 2008 12:44:49 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2008 3:13:37 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2008 3:23:35 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2008 3:39:09 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2008 3:47:29 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2008 3:51:41 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2008 4:00:13 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2008 4:04:38 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2008 11:13:37 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2008 11:24:58 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 28, 2008 12:44:47 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2008 11:58:53 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2008 12:21:59 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 28, 2008 12:44:46 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2008 5:18:27 AM PDT
BreeInAZ says:
Mel... excuse me, but that was a VERY ignorant comment. You see, "Jeannie" was NBC's ANSWER to the success of "Bewitched" and came out in COLOR well AFTER a year "Bewitched" debuted in B/W. As far as who was more powerful... I would definitely agree "Jeannie" - she could transport into SPACE, for crying out loud.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2008 5:32:36 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2008 7:15:28 AM PDT
Oh, for Pete's sake, one of you two, be the better person and just let it go, and move on. This is getting so tedious. What a stupid argument... Buffy and Jamie and this and that, forever and ever.

I thought this would be a fun little thread but it's become nonsense and negativity. Adios.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the TV Series forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  TV Series forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  108
Initial post:  May 5, 2008
Latest post:  11 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions