Customer Discussions > TV Series forum

Malcolm in the Middle - Best TV program ever!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 18, 2008 1:04:02 PM PST
Anonymous says:
Brilliant writing, extraordinary, magnificent casting and acting; absolutely original, genius program. Hilarious - laugh out loud so hard it hurts show! And yet...... and yet....... Buy it on DVD? Oooooh, noooooo. Rumor is that it will never happen. How is this possible? I thought TV producer types never missed an opportunity to rake in the moola. Petition the presidential candidates: All seasons of Malcolm in the Middle on DVD in 2008 and you've got my vote!! That's the way to make the country happy!! THAT is true universal health care: laugh, laugh, laugh with Malcolm in the Middle and exclaim profusely over the sheer and utter brilliance of it!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2008 11:02:54 AM PST
Mominator! says:
Whoooaa, puppy! First off, "best TV show ever?" How old ARE you? Second, your over-the-top enthusiasm is almost pathetic to the point that you sound like one of the writers, producers, disgruntled extras, or just someone with some other monetarily, invested interest to make sure that it actually makes it to DVD. Are you trying to convince us that it's the best show ever or that we should petition to get it out on DVD? All in due time, my friend, all in due time. It will be available on DVD just like ALL TV shows are - good, bad or indifferent - eventually are. BTW, I am a fan & can laugh my a** off watching, but you are a GEM!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2008 1:39:25 PM PST
It's definitely the best SITCOM ever, for my taste and humor.
If this discussion hadn't been started, I might've started it myself. The love and affection I have for 'Malcolm in the Middle' is boundless and unbridled.

In defense of Anonymous I must concur: If I had to choose a desert island comedy TV show, Malcolm in the Middle is the one. Not Seinfeld, not Friends (although they're very good).

I am 42 and have seen lots of TV. This is the funniest sitcom ever, for me personally. I also love others... I Love Lucy, The Simpsons, Just Shoot Me, Green Acres, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Frasier, The Carol Burnett Show, Fawlty Towers, and Frasier. They are all wonderful. But there's something about Malcolm that gives me pure joy. Always hilarious writing, unpredictable situations, fantastic slapstick, and amazing characters.

So, season one is on dvd, but that's all. There is a big problem with the dvd release (which probably won't happen at all) due to music rights. The companies that own the music are starting to demand a fortune for use of the tunes on dvd. Same thing happened with 'Murphy Brown'; one season released on dvd and then nothing further. I don't want to discuss it much because it's a sore subject. People go rabid over this topic of music rights, or the opposite way. Back to Malcolm...

I have recorded the reruns from cable. This program has made me laugh out loud during every single episode; many's the time tears are rolling down my face from laughter. I don't get this from any other show.

So, I choose this as my favorite sitcom ever, and fervently wish there was a miracle and we would see seasons 2-7 on dvd.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2008 1:29:08 AM PST
Renee says:
It also wouldn't really make sense to put it out on dvd now when they play it so often on FX and Fox. Just flipping in my limited tv time every day I see it.

I also agree, it is an awesome show. I feel bad for Robin, it seems you feel like someone must have an alterior motive to be happy about a tv show. Oh, and Robin, the first person's post is much more mature than yours, whose only motive was to try and make yourself look smarter than someone else.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2008 7:55:17 AM PST
Mominator! says:
RamothZ:

In my defense, I cannot let you think you perfectly understood my "motive." My gripe was that with ALL the sitcoms that we have sat thru & laughed out loud to - even to the point of tears - I thought that to designate MITM as the best sitcom EVER was, a bit unfair. What about MASH, Frasier, Will & Grace, 3rd Rock from the Sun, et al? These were all off-the-wall comedies that were even better, I feel. No need to go on the attack. This is a FORUM where opinions are still the heartbeat, & if YOU felt that I was "immature," then I was obviously mature enough for you to notice that. I am not so gullible that I tend to take things at face value just because someone is all gaga for it. MITM would be an example here. YES, when someone comes across as disgruntled (seemingly) or what have you, which was my genuine impression when reading the entry, then damn straight, I see ulterior "motives!"

I do not wish to get into a to and fro w/you. Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2008 9:30:52 AM PST
Hi RamothZ,

I think that even though 'Malcolm' is on cable every day, it still needs to be on dvd; the big perks to having seasons 2-7 released on dvd would be having none of those annoying commercials (and the station's pop-up promotions on the bottom of the screen).

Even if we record the syndicated reruns, they are not the complete original broadcast content because FX network has to trim episodes to fit so many ads.

If the episodes on FX were commercial-free without pop-ups, I'd agree with you saying it doesn't make sense to put them on dvd since they're on twice every day or night.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2008 10:24:53 AM PST
Renee says:
Hmmm...now why couldn't you have just said that instead of calling someone pathetic?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2008 10:56:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2013 5:34:01 PM PST
(edited due to misunderstanding)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2008 2:38:01 PM PST
Renee says:
I replied to Robin's post, not yours. Sorry for the confusion!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2008 3:26:04 PM PST
Anonymous says:
Methinks you see false motives where there are none. I have no idea what my age has to do with anything and least of all with good taste in humor and TV programs. It is just an opinion, after all, but it is my opinion and I still hold it and yes, I do think "Malcolm in the Middle" is the best TV show ever. I gravitate to the kinds of things that make me really, really laugh. So, yes, I do love Seinfeld, The Office, and many, many others going back even to old B & W Andy Griffith, or to Barney Miller, Designing Women, old Dick Van Dyke show, and many, many others. For dramatic "bests", I would say Homicide: Life on the Street, St. Elsewhere, Battlestar Galactica (new version) and many, many others. In 'other' category, I would say Firefly, X-Files, and many, many others. For Best TV Show Ever, I would say: Malcolm in the Middle. You are certainly free to disagree with me, but holding this opinion does not mean that I am somehow associated with this program or any other in any way other than as a viewer. That is all I am, just one who profoundly loves this elegant, perfect show that makes me and my entire family laugh out loud, sometimes to tears. It is brilliant and I long to be able to purchase it in its entirety on DVD and am sad that I keep reading that will likely never happen. And no, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I just wanted to hear from others who love this show and perhaps I hold a superstitious notion that "someone" with power and influence in such things will see the folly of their ways, change them and suddenly, magically, the DVDs of all the "Malcolm" seasons will be for sale right here on Amazon! So - call me a romantic optimistic "Malcolm" fan and you will be right.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2008 4:38:46 PM PST
Anyone have any favorite story arcs from the show? I think they made a great decision when they moved Francis to the ranch. Otto was a wonderful character (he was hysterical in Young Frankenstein as the burgermeister character).

Making Reese a chef in season 2 was so interesting considering what a sociopath he was. Kind of brave writing because it could have tanked, depending on how it was handled.

I loved the Krelboynes. They were this sad little geek squad, and groups like this really exist in schools. In my high school we had an audio visual club that was just like these kids, except older and gangly.

Lois' mom Ida (the great Cloris Leachman) was the best addition to the cast. What an evil, Eastern European gargoyle she was. I loved that she said anything she liked, and smoked like a chimney. She deserved her Emmy award.

I thought the most underrated and under-used character was Craig Feldspar. He was terrific with his unrequited crush on Lois, and his nerdy ways. I loved the story with his cat Jellybean. And the helper monkey that's deranged and violent, I mean that was comedy gold.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2008 8:13:48 PM PST
lingering says:
I agree with Sardonicus that the deranged therapy monkey who held Craig captive was classic comedy. I would buy all the seasons if I could. Why weren't seasons 2 and beyond ever brought to DVD?

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 2:43:47 AM PST
The Halloween episode from S2 made me laugh so hard that I almost couldn't breathe the first time around. Just watched it again for the first time since then and it AGAIN made me laugh so hard that I couldn't breathe. IMHO it is the best comedy that's been on TV in my lifetime. Even with other good shows [Seinfeld, etc] there are quite a few episodes that just don't quite come together, but those are very few and far between with MITM. My friend who is a scriptwriter says it is one of the classic examples of How To Do Things Right.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 9:29:25 AM PST
K says:
Fortunately, currently all the episodes can be streamed on Netflix.

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 9:35:24 AM PST
K says:
In a 2003 episode of Malcolm In the Middle, David Cassidy portrayed fictional Las Vegas idol Boon Vincent. It was one of the most hilarious episodes ever. Btw, ALL the episodes can be currently streamed on Netflix.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the TV Series forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Better Call Saul 37 2 hours ago
best tv shows made in australia 1931 9 hours ago
Night Sweats and Haute Cuisine: NBC's "Hannibal", season 2 889 12 hours ago
Downton Abbey 409 12 hours ago
*Secrets and Lies* 3 12 hours ago
Walking Dead... Anybody Watching? 98 19 hours ago
*Let's Check Out Some New Shows* 16 1 day ago
*The Good Wife* 111 2 days ago
What TV Commercials do you Hate? 240 3 days ago
all television actors and actresses who have passed away 1305 3 days ago
How to Get Away With Murder 28 3 days ago
The Flash 44 4 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  TV Series forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Feb 18, 2008
Latest post:  Feb 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions