Customer Discussions > TV Series forum

What TV Series was Ahead of its Time and it took other series 10-20-30-40 years to catch up?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 109 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 6, 2011 3:48:41 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2011 8:19:08 AM PDT]

Posted on May 6, 2011 4:04:37 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2011 7:56:00 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2011 7:40:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2011 4:35:16 PM PDT
Luckily, Amazon deletes nasty little spats that interrupt pleasant conversation. Moving on...

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2011 12:57:43 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2011 7:56:33 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2011 12:58:45 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2011 7:57:50 AM PDT]

Posted on May 6, 2011 1:45:34 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2011 7:58:03 AM PDT]

Posted on May 6, 2011 8:39:08 PM PDT
Laust Cawz says:
Don't know what all that was about, but I was thinking about a show that definitely belongs here, that raised the bar so much for all of TV--"Twin Peaks".

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2011 2:08:15 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2011 8:00:15 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2011 2:19:16 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2011 7:55:00 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2011 2:25:54 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2011 7:58:57 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2011 2:40:03 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2011 7:59:34 AM PDT]

Posted on May 7, 2011 3:00:11 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2011 7:59:47 AM PDT]

Posted on May 7, 2011 3:12:07 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2011 8:00:01 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2011 6:56:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2011 4:35:50 PM PDT
I don't know either, don't want to.

Back to the subject at hand.
There's something about the coffee and cherry pie: "Twin Peaks", that was so cool. It was unusual back in the 1990's, definitely the sort of thing that hadn't been done before. You never knew what you were going to experience. Drama, horror, comedy, intrigue, romance ... anything goes. That pilot episode alone was really exceptional, like a good mystery/thriller film. The ensemble of actors was so interesting, such a diverse bunch. To get Piper Laurie on board, that was a major score.

There is one irk I have. I do wish the creators/writers had not resolved the identity of the killer. Ending that big mystery helped usher in the eventual doom of "Twin Peaks". I would have liked to not have known; once you know, then the whole show loses something. I think the series could have continued without revealing Laura's murderer. Now, that plotline may have been what lured us into the show from day one-- but "Twin Peaks" was so much more than finding the villain who killed a high school girl... there were many wonderful and odd things in that show. But overall I thought the show was special and fun. And what a great setting, too.

A really good thing about "Twin Peaks" was the incidental music. Really evocative, but then again Angelo Badalamenti's scores for David Lynch have always been terrific.

I liked "Twin Peaks" almost as much as "Northern Exposure", which was a gem: for me that was easily one of the most thoughtful, clever, and engaging series I've encountered. It may not have been ahead of its time but it was different and rich and rewarding.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2011 9:42:43 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2011 10:06:38 AM PDT]

Posted on May 7, 2011 3:33:47 PM PDT
Laust Cawz says:
I actually fell asleep while watching the "Twin Peaks" pilot, but that's because it was sort of mesmerizing (plus I was pretty exhausted). It was anything but boring. The show was terribly enigmatic &, honestly, I usually didn't know what to make of it. There really never had been anything like this on TV before & I'm really amazed it got so much attention or even lasted a season or even got on TV in the first place. So many new/novel/untried ideas get dumped almost immediately or probably never even get made. I'm wondering if Lynch had to pay a lot of money for the right kinds of publicity. If so, it's really great that someone so artistic was able to do this. There must be at least a couple of dozen shows that owe their existences or their superior quality to "Twin Peaks".

I totally agree about the cast, too. Peggy Lipton (Lynch must've been a "Mod Squad" fan), Ray Wise, Sherilynn Fenn, Michael Ontkean (must've liked "The Rookies", too) &, of course, Kyle MacLachlan (Lynch's "Blue Velvet"). MacLachlan was great in "The Hidden", too.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2011 4:32:01 PM PDT
(possible spoilers for Twin Peaks to follow)

I have a love/dislike thing about "Twin Peaks". There are many qualities about it that captured me, and there are a few things that either turned me off or left me scratching my head. (To save time I will not go into all that.) But overall it was like nothing else on TV previously, and it pulled people in.

From what I've read and seen, it is both beloved and also mocked or criticized deeply. It has a cult fan base.

I still marvel at what Lynch and company did on that series. Consider: Scenes of crazy Bob screaming and laughing maniacally seemed even more frightening than the most startling horror movie... Long, quiet scenes lingered on nothing more than an old waiter in a hotel room... Goofy reparte (comedy relief to balance the oozing evil and darkness) at the sheriff's office between Lucy and the innocent Deputy was so wacky... An angst-ridden teen romance (James and Donna) bloomed like something out of a classic film or "Peyton Place"... The beautiful Josie is cursed and doomed for her actions by being turned into a knob on a dresser/nightstand (!!!)... and so on.

PS: I believe that Kyle Maclachlan must be given much credit for playing the role of Cooper. That is not easy to do, to maintain. This guy is like a comic book figure: good, wise, quirky, sensible, straightforward, perky, strong, regimented. Such an interesting character. And always excellent posture and diction, lol!

Posted on May 7, 2011 4:43:21 PM PDT
Laust Cawz says:
Kimmy Robertson (Lucy on "Twin Peaks") in an early role:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvaFacLbnqE&feature=related
(go to 6:28)

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2011 5:20:37 PM PDT
So funny... how dorky she looks in that hair and outfit. Back in 1982, and dig that Oingo Boingo music.

Posted on May 7, 2011 5:49:02 PM PDT
Laust Cawz says:
More on this movie:

http://unpopculture.freehostia.com/last_american_virgin.html

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2011 6:22:29 PM PDT
You're gonna have to explain to me how Dukes of Hazzard was ahead of its time.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2011 6:23:57 PM PDT
"hinting that American audiences were guffawing broadly over the sound of a toilet flushing. "

I think "All in the Family" was the first TV show to include the sound of toilet flushing.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2011 7:13:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2011 7:13:42 PM PDT
Re: toilet flushing

Yes... On January 12, 1971 (on "All in the Family") the first toilet flush was heard on TV. The sound became a running/recurring gag.

"Leave it to Beaver" was the first television series to show a toilet (just the tank) when the camera peered into the bathroom of the Cleaver boys on the October 4, 1957 premiere episode.

Oddly enough, years later in 1969 the kids from "The Brady Bunch" shared a bathroom that did not seem to furnish a toilet.

Posted on May 7, 2011 7:21:05 PM PDT
Laust Cawz says:
I heard that the running joke on the set was that the Brady kids used the toilet at the local gas station.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2011 9:46:24 PM PDT
I can picture it: Jan misplacing the key that's attached to the wooden block!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the TV Series forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Sons of Anarchy( SOA) 104 30 minutes ago
The Flash 16 3 hours ago
What was your favorite commercial 119 19 hours ago
best tv shows made in australia 1694 23 hours ago
Walking Dead... Anybody Watching? 74 1 day ago
American Horror Story 318 1 day ago
Major Crimes 299 2 days ago
***State of Affairs*** 0 2 days ago
What TV Commercials do you Hate? 220 3 days ago
all television actors and actresses who have passed away 1296 5 days ago
How to Get Away With Murder 16 5 days ago
Br eaking Ba d 3102 5 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  TV Series forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  109
Initial post:  May 1, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions