Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > TV Series forum

some SHORT-LIVED, ENIGMATIC SERIES : late '60's - early '70's

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 115 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2007 6:34:37 PM PST
I remember The IMMORTAL......I think it was 2nd series for C.George (Rat Patrol )
Does anyone remember Toma?? Police drama starring Tony Musante.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2007 8:09:42 AM PST
I think the show you are refering to may have been called Mr.Terrific.In this show from 1967 the character Stanley Beamish took a pill that gave him temporary super powers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2007 5:49:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2007 5:50:36 PM PST
ImEzekiel65 says:
Don't know if one would refer to this show as enigmatic, but I'd personally love to see Walt Disney's "Zorro" TV series, featuring Guy Williams, come to DVD. Long overdue, I would say.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2007 10:03:13 PM PST
Clarence,
I remember Hennessy very well with Jackie Cooper & Abbey Dalton. And yes, the TV version of Wackiest Ship in the Army with Jack Warden!?!?

Great stuff; would love to see Hugh O'Brien as Wyatt Earp! (Funny but I think Hugh's portrayal was rather PC to the real Wyatt Earp)!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2007 5:30:43 PM PST
Westerby says:
Toma, which was based on the life of a real police detective of that name, was re-worked and fictionalized into Barreta after one season. The network may have felt that Robert Blake would be a better audience draw than Tony Musante, or they may have had legal issues with the real Toma. In any case, the show (as Barreta) did run for several more years.

TV Land ran the Hugh O'Brian Wyatt Earp series on weekends a few years ago. The audio/video quality was awful, which may be one reason it hasn't appeared on DVD. Also, as the stalled release of Have Gun Will Travel demonstrates, there's a limited audience for B&W westerns from the 1950's, even when they're very good.

I'd like to see two NBC series from the late 1960's/early 1970's released: The Name Of The Game, an anthology series built around a magazine company which featured Gene Barry & Robert Stack, among others; and The Bold Ones, another anthology involving doctors, lawyers and, in later years, a senator. David Hartman, Burl Ives, and Hal Holbrook starred.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2007 7:18:16 PM PST
Don't forget one of the greatest TV shows of all time (IMHO) - 1967's The Prisoner.

I am not a number, I'm a free man!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2007 2:10:47 PM PST
How about "Great Ghost Tales"( 1961) NBC. I sure
wish I could find the long forgotten anthology show!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2007 9:36:55 PM PST
I'd love to revisit the 60's sitcom featuring Eve Arden and Kay Ballard in "The Mothers in Law".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 8:43:34 AM PST
Yes - that's what I was going to post - "Mr. Terrific" in which the government had developed a pill (which seemed like a gumball - and I believe they actually spoke of a "candy coating") that gave Stanley Beamish super powers for a limited time (like 60 minutes?). His outfit was actually a chrome-silver jacket, webbed under the arms (he could flap his arms and fly), and a pair of goggles. He was thus a government agent, and had a co-worker who was this handsome, perfect human specimen who, unfortunately the same pill did NOT work for. It was definitely a comedy-action series. One of my favorites as a kid.

There was another, similar show at about the same time that I believe was called "Captain Nice." Another comedy. This time a meek scientist created his own chemical (some fluid in a little bottle you had to drink) that when given to a mouse, gave it the strength and courage to fight off a cat. Said meek scientist chose to drink his own formula when he came upon thugs in a park one night. Poof! He is transformed into a super-guy, complete with a pretty gaudy outfit, cape, and mask. After dispatching the bad guys, he is asked who he is. Apparently, included in the transformation was a belt buckle with the initials "CN" so he tells them he is "Captain Nice". It was definitely the sillier of the two shows. One of the memorable characters was his Mother.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 8:52:34 AM PST
Julie Coelho says:
nope

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 9:39:03 AM PST
stevign says:
If we run out of ink, we can't blame Julie! LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 11:38:32 AM PST
I also dug the series "The Agency" 2001-2003 on CBS - about the CIA (in a somewhat-similar treatment to West Wing). Cared about the characters. Series ended with a cliff-hanger that was never resolved.

There was another drama series about that same time that I can't remember the name of - but it was a show about a detective agency with a really good cast. I think it was a summer replacement that just didn't last beyond maybe 6 or 8 episodes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 3:32:33 PM PST
stevign says:
The Other:

Not to get too political, but that's darn near impossible with Holywood involved, ; I'm amazed that "The Agency", a "patriotic" team of men and women trying to catch bad guys, ever got released at all!
I'm not sure if the british series "MI5" will return this year, but I hope so.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2007 7:39:21 PM PST
I believe I just saw MAVERICK in the November new releases for DVD. It was one of my favorites too. I remember a very old series that I've never even seen in reruns called Laramie from the 50's, that starred the same actor that played the Doctor in the series Emergency. Can't think of his name. And I used to watch an old one called W.O.G. (World of Giants) that was about some people who had been shrunk to only inches high and were on the run from everything from house cats to whoever shrunk them. Don't think it was on but one season, but it facinated me when I was a kid. I'd like to see those two again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2007 10:24:39 PM PST
Don't remember "Laramie" - but the other one sounds like the series "Land Of The Giants" - Two seasons '68 to '70, another Irwin Allen series. And, if I remember it right, the people were a group of normal humans in a small space craft that accidentally crashed on a far, distant planet that was already "giant" by comparison (rather than being shrunk). There was some sort of justification for why the "Giants" were always hunting them (some psuedo-political thing I think).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2007 10:32:13 PM PST
stevign says:
Maybe they were hungry! Remember the Twilight Zone episode about the "Cook Book"? LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2007 9:20:49 AM PST
Tim Lovelace says:
I, too, remember "Nanny and the Professor" fondly and I recently enjoyed watching the pilot episode on YouTube. Juliet Mills was a dreamboat. The charming innocence of "Nanny and the Professor"--and of other, similar shows of its era--shows how coarse and cynical our culture has become over the last several decades.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2007 12:51:01 PM PST
Ranger Pat says:
Tim, I could not agree more about the relative coarseness of TV shows now. We've really lost something. My kids (7 and 12) prefer to watch DVD sets of old shows. Current favorites for them include Rocky & Bullwinkle and Davy Crockett.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2007 11:26:19 PM PST
tzinnamon says:
Yes, I was ten & that Twilight Zone episode scared me. Years later I came across the short story it was based on "To Serve Man" by Damon Knight, & had flashback nightmares.

In a different vein, does anyone remember a very short lived show on CBS, Sat. nights, I think that was set in a fantasy medieval setting involving a villainous family named the Blackpools. I think the blond hero later played a driver on "Taxi". I can't recall the name of it, but I thought it very funny.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2007 12:46:10 PM PST
Dave Freels says:
Nichols was great. I was a kid and I think I cried when Garner was killed in the last episode because it was so unexpected. Youjust don't kill the hero. Heard that the wanted to take the show in a new direction with Garner coming back as his own twin brother to avenge the death, but it was canceled.. and then Rockford Files came, so I guess Nichols didn't die in vain.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2007 5:48:37 AM PST
Tonya says:
Yeah I remember "Mother's In Law" good show . I love old sitcoms .Way before my time, I thought that show was awesome with eve and kay together were so funny! I remember they would play that show on one of the off tv channels in the early 1980's can you believe it??That's how I found out about it. I just love eve arden!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2008 3:36:13 PM PST
GaryAve says:
Jeffrey,

How is the quality of your "Coronet Blue" DVDs?
Through a private dealer, I acquired copies on VHS of two episodes - years ago - but the quality was terrible (same experience with episodes of "Adventures in Paradise" on DVD).
Still looking.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2008 10:53:22 PM PST
C. Eskelsen says:
It's About Time. Silly Sherwood Schwartz production, but fun, nonetheless, and a great theme song that I could never get out of my head...

Plus--

The following were both '80s shows, but they *were* enigmatic and short-lived, and I just adored them and never hear anyone mention them, so here are my two dream DVD releases:

1- Max Headroom -what on earth happened to this quirky little gem?
2- Wizards & Warriors - ditto- this only ran a half dozen or so episodes, but as I remember it, it was a funny and clever satire of the whole Dungeons & Dragons/Sword & Sorcery, '80s pop culture. Julia Duffy was just hilarious as Princess Ariel.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2008 6:40:31 PM PST
I saw maybe one-half of a 'Captain Nice' episode - starred the great William Daniels, busy in a lot of movies at the time, and later famous in 'Knight Rider' (his voice, anyway) and 'St. Elsewhere'.

I would love to see some more of the comedy/variety shows of the time - Carol Burnett was certainly the apex there, but other folks with shows at the time were Tim Conway, Phyllis Diller, Don Rickles, and Jonathan Winters (which I looked forward to for semi-regular walk-ons by weirdie Stan Ross)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2008 7:27:54 AM PST
critters says:
Martial Law, among a bazillion others. *sniff*
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the TV Series forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
*★* The Hollywood Hot Tub *★* 4408 3 hours ago
Tic-Tac-Toe 2792 4 hours ago
OT: Word Game!! 14 5 hours ago
When watching Mash realize that North Korean mass-murderer Kim II Sung started the entire Korean War 118 9 hours ago
True book (Snapping of the American Mind) shows Harvard tests showing parental neglect causes homosexuality 83 9 hours ago
Get the great Benny Hill Complete and Unadulterated Megaset here at amazon! Hill's show was considered better than Monty Python by two UHF stations (WOR and WLVI)---I agree! 255 9 hours ago
Which shows that premiered this season are you enjoying the most, and which shows (new or not) are you sorry will not be returning? 24 9 hours ago
Person of Interest 28 9 hours ago
The Flash 99 13 hours ago
`Scream` 27 13 hours ago
`*`*The Tour de France*`*` 88 15 hours ago
The Munsters are way more important than the Addams Family! 8 16 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  TV Series forum
Participants:  71
Total posts:  115
Initial post:  Oct 11, 2007
Latest post:  Feb 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions