Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > TV Series forum

Old Classic Tv Shows vs Modern Day Tv Shows/Which Are Better?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 3:47:43 PM PDT
And that customer will probably seek those remaining six seasons "Elsewhere". <G>

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 3:49:37 PM PDT
Harold47 says:
Yes, the butthead accross has made it our problem. The problem is to get producers and advertisers to realize how many customers they are losing with programming that is driving a LOT of people to buying DVD's. Then when they do buy DVD's, they can't get a complete set, so more customers are lost. The producers are losing on both ends.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 4:07:34 PM PDT
I do not like anything associated with the modern day, i am an old -fashioned boy.

Posted on Oct 9, 2011 1:11:12 AM PDT
M. Whorton says:
Woody Woodpecker and Friends are available here at Amazon. Vol. 1 is $15.99 and Vol. 2 is $9.99.

The Woody Woodpecker and Friends Classic Cartoon Collection

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011 1:11:42 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Since that's the case,then you should feel right at home here. Welcome aboard Brian! I hope to see you here often! I see from your profile that you are a "classic tv collector"...that's what's up! I like that! Would you care to share some of your classic collection with us?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011 1:13:04 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Good lookin' out M! You're the man!

Posted on Oct 9, 2011 8:33:49 AM PDT
Though I prefer the shows of the 60's-80's, I do find some brilliance in latter-day entries like "Frasier," "The X-Files," "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," the "Trek" sequels, "Smallville," and "Supernatural," feeling that they can hold their own against their predecessors. I also like the British import, "Hustle."

Posted on Oct 9, 2011 11:17:02 AM PDT
stevign says:
"If you watch Reality Shows, the terrorists have won" ~ Stevign

"Jersey Shore is the Second Circle of Hell" ~ Dante Alighieri

Posted on Oct 9, 2011 1:15:24 PM PDT
awesomep says:
I prefer some of the old time favorites like, Hawaii Five0, The Beverly Hillbillies, The Munsters, Bewitched, and a few other mentionables. I do like Smallville, some episodes of Supernatural, and So You Think You Can Dance. I agree that Reality TV has smothered our lives with pure nonsense. The things some people do for fame, and money.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011 7:14:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2011 7:28:05 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Hi Rita,I have a few brief memories of old classic tv shows that I would like to share,you may think they are silly,but here goes.

In a previous post you mentioned that you didn't get into watching tv until the 60's. I really got into television watching in 1978 as a 5 year old boy. At that time it was season 3 of "Charlie's Angels". By the start of the 4th season,I remember feeling sad that Sabrina(Kate Jackson)left the show,but I soon got over it.

Also in 1978,as a 5 year old boy,that's when "The Incredible Hulk"(Bill Bixby/Lou Ferrigno)debuted. I remember everytime it came on,during the intro I would get scared and hide behind the sofa. On The Incredible Hulk you will notice that the hulk is always throwing something in the air. When I was outside playing I would pick up rocks from off the ground and see if I can throw as high or as far as the hulk. At that time Wonder Woman(Lynda Carter)was my "first love".She was so beautiful. I couldn't wait to get home from school and watch Wonder Woman.

As you know little boys like to run around,I also remember at that time when I was outside running,I would like to pretend that I was The Six Million Dollar man,since he did a lot of running(60 mph)in his show,I really liked that,and I would imitate it.Also anytime my friends and I did something where using our strength was required(such as arm wrestle)I would like to pretend I was bionic.

Let's move ahead some,a year+ later. 1979,when The Dukes Of Hazzard debuted,I remember The Classic CBS Friday Night Line-up. Does anybody else remember that? I hope so,because I need some help. I can't quite remember the details,so I will try my best. I remember,in my mom's bedroom,watching The Incredible Hulk at 7:00pm,The Dukes Of Hazzard at 8:00pm, Dallas at 9:00pm, and Falcon Crest at 10:00pm, and then the CBS late night news would come on at 11:00pm.

Then I remember The Hulk was taken out of the line-up,and The Dukes was pushed ahead to 9:00pm, and Knots Landing had replaced Falcon Crest, I believe Knots Landing was moved to ABC.Here's the part that I really need help with. If we move ahead a few years,when I was 10 years old,1982, I remember that until that time, I had faithfully watched The Dukes Of Hazzard every friday night. Then when Knight Rider debuted,I remember I had stopped watching The Dukes and I started watching Knight Rider.

But I can't remember,was The Dukes still airing at 9:00pm at that time? Or did it get switched back to 8:00pm? I think it got switched back,because I remember The Dukes and Knight Rider had came on at the same time,and I remember Knight Rider had came on at 8:00pm.

I know some folks here don't like Soaps,but I remember as a kid my mom got me into watching Dallas,Dynasty,Falcon Crest,Knots Landing,All My Children,One Life To Live,and General Hospital. Speaking of Dallas,no one can tell me that the whole world wasn't wondering that classic question asked the world over,3 simple words,"Who Shot JR.?". I can't remember,was that the cliffhanger from the end of the second season going into the third? Or the third going into the fourth?. And speaking of General Hospital,1980,no one can tell me that the whole world wasn't rooting for Luke and Laura.

Well,those are some of my fondest memories from bac in da day.It is so great to have on dvd today all these old classic tv shows that you loved as a child,and you love them just as much now as you did back then,the whole thing literally brings a tear to your eyes,it is just that great.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011 7:23:41 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
I liked Hawaii Five O as well! Book em' Danno! Classic! The Munsters/Adam's Family,Bewitched/I Dream Of Jeannie,all funny classic shows. The only thing I know about Smallville is that Bo from The Dukes Of Hazzard starred in it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011 8:06:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2011 8:12:22 PM PDT
Roman85 says:
The "Hulk" in the spring of 1981 got moved to Tuesday night in it's 4th season, "Falcon Crest" made it's debut that December behind "Dukes of Hazzard" & "Dallas"...."Knot's Landing" aired behind "Magnum P.I. & "Simon & Simon" on Thursday night, as for the "who shot J.R.?"....watch the whole third season of "Dallas"....J.R. gave many people a motive, I too was a kid then & thought the same thing, but after watching it as an adult on DVD, I can tell you, everyone had a motive except maybe Bobby & Pam....."Knight Rider" made it's debut in the fall of 1982 & NBC purposely put it opposite "Dukes"....it was the beginning of the end for the "Dukes of Hazzard"...that & the fact that John Scheider & Tom Wopat had left the show at about the same time over a contract dispute with WB....that didn't help matters much.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011 8:08:40 PM PDT
RichieV says:
I used to watch Soap. That show used to make me laugh.

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 2:38:40 AM PDT
M. Whorton says:
I watched The Incredible Hulk and The Dukes of Hazzard on Friday Night. I watched "Magnum P.I. & "Simon & Simon" on Thursday night.

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 2:55:05 AM PDT
M. Whorton says:
Here is a good website. I would give my left arm if ABC, CBS, and NBC was still like this today.

1982-83 United States network television schedule:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982%E2%80%9383_United_States_network_television_schedule

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2011 6:13:31 AM PDT
Harold47 says:
I would love to see a schedule like that again! Lots of great shows to pick from every night!

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 7:38:55 AM PDT
With over 500 TV Series on my shelves, I HAVE a schedule like that once more, ONLY BETTER! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 7:27:42 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Thanks Michael,you were certainly helpful. I think S/5 of The Hulk was cut short due to a writers strike,I would've liked to see The Hulk end with David finding a cure for the hulk,straightening things out with Mr.Mcgee,and perhaps getting married.

I guess Knight Rider knocked The Dukes out of the box...I also believe that "Charlie's Angels" was also on Wednesday nights,was it on at 9:00pm? I do know that when S/2 of CA's debuted,it came on an hour earlier,thereby allowing more viewers,which caused the ratings to go up. Many people believe that S/1 of "Charlie's Angels" had the most ratings because of Farrah Fawcett,but actually S/2 had higher ratings because of the adjustment in the time slot.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 7:29:00 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Thursday And Friday's nights tv was slammin'!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 7:32:15 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
It would be AWESOME if tv was was like this today! That's why I say The Old School Rules!

In all fairness,I must say that there are some good modern day shows,but not nearly as many as bac in da day.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 7:41:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2011 5:51:26 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
500 TV SERIES?! WOW! I'm surprised your shelves don't collaspe! Just looking through all of that must fill your heart with joy and bring tears to your eyes. I would be affected in that way if my collection was THAT BIG! Very Impressive!

How do you have them arranged? In alphebetical order? In chronological order? Perhaps according to the decade they were released? Or perhaps by genre'...comedies with the comedies,dramas with the dramas,action/adventure with action/adventure...etc? Or are they on the shelves in no particular order?

Posted on Oct 11, 2011 7:42:22 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Where is our beautiful and lovely Rita?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 8:30:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 11, 2011 8:36:44 PM PDT
Old school all the way look at adam 12, Dragnet, and lets not forget Iron side, SWAT, starsky and hutch on man i could go on and on, i believe old school is the only way

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 2:00:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2011 2:08:09 AM PDT
M. Whorton says:
re: With over 500 TV Series on my shelves, I HAVE a schedule like that once more, ONLY BETTER! :)

But you had to pay for that schedule. Back then that schedule was free. I have paid for a nice schedule of DVDs myself. But its nowhere as big as your DVD collection.

I still get classic TV networks MeTV and This TV for free with an antenna. We just got a new channel a few weeks ago called Bounce TV and they have been showing Richard Pryor Movies. I watched Silver Streak last night.

My mom has the Channelmaster 7000 dual tuner HD DVR that works with an over the air antenna and has no monthly fee. So we copy stuff for free and FF through the commercials. If its something we really like we then can purchase the DVD.

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 2:47:25 AM PDT
I do have some of them organised, one rack is for Comedy, another is for Animated Shows, another is Action-Adventure while another is Family Shows, but to save space there are a few "Strays", usually along the edge of each shelf.

Yes, I do pay for them (Using the money formerly used to pay for my cable subscription), but I feel I have an edge because of the fact I get to keep the show after I watch it. (Every now and then I'll boot up a show I haven't seen in a while just to watch it for old times sake). I also take some disks with me whenever I travel so I can have something to watch while I'm away. The days of being stuck in a center seat of a plane with only the magazine to read, waiting in a terminal with only the news to watch, or simply having to watch crappy programming on the hotel's "Propietary" cable system are OVER!!!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the TV Series forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What TV Commercials do you Hate? 364 56 minutes ago
for fans of Classic Television 820 56 minutes ago
`*`*The Tour de France*`*` 81 1 hour ago
What TV Commercials do you L*O*V*E*??? 687 1 hour ago
National Geographic Channel 1 1 hour ago
*★* The Hollywood Hot Tub *★* 4334 6 hours ago
-What Are You Listening To- 1126 8 hours ago
Random Thread 16 8 hours ago
Tic-Tac-Toe 2783 8 hours ago
OT: Word Game!! 12 9 hours ago
TV series in general 59 1 day ago
Top 10 Police/Detective Shows ever. 335 1 day ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  TV Series forum
Participants:  87
Total posts:  2211
Initial post:  Sep 30, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions