Customer Discussions > TV Series forum

Fans Of Doctor Who

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 235 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 26, 2013 6:57:35 PM PST
Hello everyone. Long time no see. But now that I'm back I would love to hear your thoughts on the Doctor Who 50th anniversary episode. I too will give my thoughts on the episode but would first love to hear yours. Hopefully a lively conversation will ensue and fun will be had.

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 10:26:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2013 10:26:26 AM PDT
Kacee says:
SHOUT OUT TO JB TAYLOR!!!

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/doctor-who-is-it-identity-of-the-next-time-lord-to-be-revealed-on-live-tv-this-sunday-8742352.html

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 1:13:58 AM PST
B. Almy says:
Hello. I've watched all the Who episodes currently on DVD, TeeVee, and one on VHS (The Tenth Planet), so I feel I can honestly give an opinion that crosses the multitude of decades.

Preferred Doctors:
1} David Tennant- The Doctor who convinced me to look deeper into the doctor's long history. He's funny, deadly serious, and each episode was full of energy and excitement.
2} William Hartnell- The first Doctor. Like it or not, he set the standard for all the others. If his run hadn't been successful, We'd likely never have gotten to Patrick, much less Tom.
3} Matt Smith- /My/ first Doctor. I wasn't expecting to ever like Doctor Who until I saw a commercial for The Impossible Astronaut. Matt's Doctor is also very fun, quirky, and intelligent. But where David seemed to think on the run, literally, Matt seems to rarely run. A decided lack of energy.
4} Patrick Troughton- From what little there is to see of him, I can imagine that he was a great Doctor, and very fun to watch. I hope they put out more of his, even if they are in animation format.
5} Tom Baker- Easily the most recognized and popular Doctor of the ages. He has the distinction of starring with my favorite companion: Leela. With Tom's Doctor, you got a little bit of everything. But that's because he had seven years to do it all, not the short three or less most other Doctors had (by choice some, others not so much).
6} Paul McGann- We only have a The Movie to judge him by, unless you've listened to the audio productions, which I have not. But that little glimpse showed great potential. It also gave us an early example of the new look TARDIS.
7} Sylvester McCoy- The last of the Classic Doctors. He gets a bad rep, in my opinion. But consider Ace. Like her or not, she was the first companion where they tried to flesh out her character, to make her more than someone who just happened to be travelling with the Doctor.
8} Colin Baker- I feel bad about Colin Baker. Such potential for greatness. His acting was very good, if you could just get past that awful coat. Rewatch his first episode, The Twin Dilemma. Watch as he seemlessly switches moods, much to the distress of poor Peri. But that coat....
9} Jon Pertwee- A good Doctor. But he goes near the bottom of the list, not for his astounding grasp of science (fiction or not), nor for his more action oriented Doctor. But for his attitude toward the humans he worked with. He always talked down to them, except Liz Shaw. And see what happens when you are too close an equal to the Doctor? You get fired.
10} Christopher Eccleston- I don't really know what it is about Christopher, just something about his character of the Doctor I never really got into. Though, he does have some of my favorite episodes.
11} Peter Davidson- For me, Peter Davidson's time as the Doctor was the hardest to watch. Tegan, and Nyssa were a delight to watch... occasionally. The last season, I think he really started to get a better grasp of the character. But too little, too late in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:14:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 10:15:38 AM PST
Byron says:
I liked the backhanded references to 'The Abominable Snowmen' and 'Web of Fear' aimed specifically at classic Who fans. We got return of The Great Intelligence but with actual 'abominable snowmen' instead of robotic ones.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 5:54:29 PM PST
S. Stalcup says:
Yes, it went better than I thought it would.
*Not crazy about Jenna Louise Coleman dying every sodding episode she's in. That's going to get old.
* Loved that Dame Ian was the voice of the Great Intelligence.
* Thought Richard E. Grant was woefully underused, a shame too as he was almost #9 had The Scream of the Shalka taken off. Really wanted him to go full-blown Withnail, that manic, indignant fop type he does so brilliantly.
* LOVED the new interior of the TARDIS! Very much a return to the console of the first seven incarnations.
* The current Doctor's face in the credits for the first time since the old series.
* Less bombast to the theme. Still not the Ron Granier/Delia Derbyshire theremin-based one us fatty oldies know and love, but still . . .
* Nice amount of comedy in there as well. Matt Smith, he's still no Tom Baker, but who is (if you'll pardon the word choice there)?

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 3:19:27 PM PST
Kacee says:
The Christmas Dr Who special was shown here this evening, called The Snowmen. It was very good, I really enjoyed it.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 12:38:31 PM PDT
Kacee says:
Should Dr Who be older in the next regeneration? Or as young as Matt Smith?

I would love Harry Lloyd to be the next Dr Who, or Lee Ingleby?

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 6:01:48 PM PDT
*Whistling and listening to the lonely echoes.* :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 12:35:53 AM PDT
I agree, Rowan Atkinson came off well. He was really funny, as usual. The man is a genius. I agree with you on Jim Broadbent, he definitely would have made an enjoyable Dr. Who. I don't know much about Joanna Lumley so I can't really comment on her. Thank you for the link once again, I really enjoyed it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 12:24:49 AM PDT
Kacee says:
JB, I thought it was funny. :)
Rowan Atkinson didn't come across as Blackadder playing Dr Who which was nice.

He's too famous now, but Jim Broadbent would have made a lovely bumbling Dr Who. Joanna Lumley would be great as a baddie. She could be a female equivalent of the Master.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 11:13:47 AM PDT
Thanks for the link. Rowan Atkinson is real hoot.

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 12:51:24 AM PDT
Kacee says:
http://youtu.be/Do-wDPoC6GM

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 6:47:21 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
great.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 6:41:08 PM PDT
I knew that. I was trying to do to many things at once.

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 6:39:38 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
Sarah Jane Smith.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 3:29:34 PM PDT
Thanks, I'll have to try that. I'll see of google vids has any.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 3:27:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2012 3:44:00 PM PDT
Steve says:
Do an internet search for Doctor Who. I got many videos of old Doctor Who episodes, various Doctors.

While Tennant had Mary Jane Smith, K-9 and UNIT, he didn't have "The Brigadier"

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 3:20:39 PM PDT
I never thought Matt Smith would ever be as good as Tennant, because Tennant's Doctor is timeless and perfect, but Smith stepped up to the task and knocked the ball out of the ballpark. I'll be honest, I haven't seen to much of Baker, but Netflix has all the old episodes and I'm considering subscribing just for the Doctor. I do however remember Mary Jane Smith and K-9 from Tennant's days. I liked Mary Jane Smith, but I hated K-9, it was so annoying.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 3:00:23 PM PDT
Steve says:
The One True Doctor will forever be, and I will forever prostrate myself before, His Absolute Doctorness, Tom Baker!!!

I also started watching Jon Pertwee in my late teens, early twenties. Then Tom Baker came along. He was the personification of the Doctor. Hat, scarf, the Brigadier, Mary Jane Smith, K-9! Of the new ones, I like David Tennant the best although Matt Smitt is pretty good.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 2:55:38 PM PDT
I agree. To be forced to look at something so terrifying, to be so petrified at the thought of blinking, or the lights going out. Wow, that is really, really scary.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 2:53:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2012 2:53:54 PM PDT
Steve says:
Wow, what an episode tonight.

It was sad that Amy will be gone. I really liked her. I won't give away any of the plot but I will say that the Weeping Angels are pretty scary. Think about it.

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 2:51:54 PM PDT
New Question:

Of all the companions to leave the Doctor, who was your favorite and why.

My favorite was Amy Pond. My reason, isn't because she's the newest and latest companion. It's because of how deep her relationship with the Doctor became, all the wild and crazy story lines, and because of her connection with River Song. The story lines were absolutely fantastic.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 7:44:18 PM PDT
Wow, what an episode tonight. Knowing ahead of time what was going to happen to a couple of the characters (won't say who in case you don't know) hurt the dramatic effect of the episode a little, but I still got emotional. Steven Moffett did a great job, and as usual, the acting was superb.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012 2:24:14 PM PDT
Kacee says:
I'm off to bed JB, but I'll be logging back on hopefully in about ten hours, g'night.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 2:12:04 PM PDT
Once the episode is over tonight, I'll be on this forum to talk about the show if anybodies interested. I think there will be tons to talk about.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the TV Series forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  TV Series forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  235
Initial post:  Sep 11, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions