Customer Discussions > TV Series forum

We're in a new Golden Age of Television: who agrees?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 94 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:03:13 PM PST
Anne Rice says:
Yes, people are telling me about it, and I'm going to give it a try.
I just find it hard to imagine. But that's often the case with a new and
astonishing show.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 6:06:49 PM PST
Eric Fox says:
i like bbc 3 version and scyfy being human and alcatraz and the river alcatraz only made one season but what a ride. bbc being human was great. and i think heroes deserves a mention.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:13:24 PM PST
It was "Red Shoe Diaries", I believe.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:14:09 PM PST
Anne Rice says:
I thought the second Battlestar Galactica was amazing. I watched every episode of the
entire series, floored by the inventive things they did.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 6:15:13 PM PST
Going back a bit, a nod needs to be given to "E.R." for their ground-breaking use of single-camera shots. Instead of multiple cuts and edits, they would just turn on the camera and follow the action - a very difficult way to film. Long takes; if there were mistakes, a very long re-shoot was in order. But it brought more seamless storytelling to the small screen, I think.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:15:16 PM PST
Eric Fox says:
ME TOO. Edward James did a great job. that ending wow

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:21:38 PM PST
Anne Rice says:
I think you're right. E.R. did break new ground, didn't it? The whole feel of the
show was different.

So does all this go back to Hill Street Blues, perhaps,
or NYPD Blue?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:22:12 PM PST
Anne Rice says:
Yes.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 6:23:39 PM PST
Walking Dead is amazing, it's more then just a series about zombies.

I also, although not a weekly series, have to say that Game of Thrones seems to be, in my opinion, what this Golden Age has to offer at it's best.

While HBO broke new ground with many different series, I do believe AMC took notice, and was able to reproduce it to some degree on cable.

Lastly, I think it has a lot to do with what people want to see. Your typical cops and robber shows seems to be a dead horse, and with a world economic slump, people want to escape reality for a bit - allowing for these sort of shows to come to pass.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 6:26:10 PM PST
There are certainly some brilliant shows being created. I agree it is a golden age. the technology and wealth of channels has really pushed production to new heights. Who has seen American Horror Story? What were your thoughts Anne I never saw your reaction? I had seen you were going to watch it in a thread on facebook. I thought the first season was interesting with the twists and turns in plot. I loved the house and the Hollywood history which I have heard of a house with a similar past that was supposedly haunted. I am not sure about this new season they kept the best actors , but it is so extreme and some what choppy.... eeeeks well I mean directing wise. The intense level of insanity and violence of the criminally insane seems to ruin the flow of the show. The references to famous criminals and crimes almost become cartoonish. About 1/3 of it is really amazing and then I get jarred out of it. So curious what others think?

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 6:31:07 PM PST
Greg Wilkey says:
I simply love all the supernatural and dark shows on TV. Programs like Grimm, Haven, the Walking Dead, and True Blood are wonderfully clever. I am thrilled that TV has made a place for preternatural programs. I have always been a fan of the creepy, scary, and quirky. I think the creative writing on these shows is outstanding.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:32:11 PM PST
Hill Street Blues definitely ranks as a game-changing show. Looking back, though, so many shows have influenced the evolution of television in small ways. I Love Lucy created the 3-camera standard that existed for years. M*A*S*H and All in the Family both covered topics that had never been covered before, along with Soap and Maude, for example. Even The Dick Van Dyke Show broke new ground in allowing Mary Tyler Moore to wear pants on the show, something that hadn't been done up until that time (it created a market for capri pants, by the way). And which show started letting husbands and wives sleep in the same bed? Would you believe it was Mary Kate and Johnny, which pre-dated I Love Lucy? It was! Why the backslide to separate beds is a mystery to me. The Flintstones had cartoon husband and wife in bed together, and The Munsters had non-human husband and wife in bed together, but it wasn't until The Brady Bunch in 1969 that a "real" husband and wife appeared together in bed again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:39:27 PM PST
Actually, Shogun is available as a mult-DVD package here on Amazon, with a 13-episode "Making Of" documentary included in the package. Seems reasonably priced, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:42:01 PM PST
Greg Wilkey says:
The Walking Dead was one of those shows that surprised me. I did not watch the first season. I just couldn't see how a show about zombies could hold my attention. Wow, I was wrong. The show is so much more than the zombies. I am now caught up on all episodes and I am hooked.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:45:59 PM PST
I have to agree. I find the special effects and make-up in some of the new series (Grimm, True Blood, Once Upon a Time) fascinating - far superior to what was available in feature films just a few years ago, even.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 6:48:35 PM PST
Eric Fox says:
I'm hooked on supernatural too its lots of fun.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 7:34:15 PM PST
MW says:
We also have to mention Star Trek, in all it's incarnations.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:36:55 PM PST
MW says:
I agree. I wasn't interested in a zombie show, but gave it a shot because it was AMC. It hooked me. Same for Hell On Wheels.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 7:45:01 PM PST
Eric Fox says:
Star trek is well my greatest life long obsession. Before all my book series every show my most ultimate nerdness loves star trek most of all reading voyager eternal tide this very minute.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:59:49 PM PST
The top shows for me that are really new is: Walking Dead, Dexter, Spartatus, Criminal Minds and Law and Order. I think these shows touch upon issues that were taboo on TV or even for dicussion not too long ago. I am loving this wonderful age of TV where even old concepts like Grimm Fairy tales have come of age. Even in sitcoms we are finally seeing real adult entertainment of which if my children were still young, I'd have no problem letting them watch and get an idea of the world they will grow into. TV is finally showing that gay marriage and interracial couples are no big deal, in my day you didn't even whisper about such things. In addition, modern day crime has changed and TV teaches the understanding of the criminal mind. I am loving that the generation that follows will only see good and bad people and accept everyone for who they are... well except for Zombies. LOL

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:12:24 PM PST
The first television series to strike me as radically different from anything I'd previously seen and one which indicated to me the future possibilities of the medium would have to be "The Larry Sanders Show" which premiered on HBO in 1992. Because it was on HBO it was able to deal with more adult oriented themes (and use more adult language) than the fare on any other channel at the time...something very unusual and groundbreaking for a weekly television series as opposed to theatrical film.

"Oz", "Sex and the City", "Queer as Folk" (which was actually preceded by PBS controversial mini-series version of "Tales of the City") and many others seemed inevitable outgrowths and much of what I now see on FX seems to indicate a final crossover to the commercial networks and yes, a new golden age of television.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:28:53 PM PST
Pablo Fallas says:
I believe Walking Dead is where I truly realized I was looking at a Drama/action/thriller of the highest Quality I've seen every week, so much that discouraged me to go and watch a movie at the theater for what I watched kept my movie craves satisfied.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:50:32 PM PST
Darling,. You called White Collar: .. Routine. White Collar is not routine. Other than that,.. I agree with you completely.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:15:52 PM PST
dmdd says:
I agree. Gays on TV, before QAF and Six Feet Under, were always one dimensional. They were either the funny exaggeratedly effeminate or sullen and tragic types. Queer As Folk and Six Feet Under opened showed them as normal everyday people and not caricatures.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:26:04 PM PST
dmdd says:
Homicide: Life on the Streets, is and was one of the most underrated series on TV. NYPD Blue received all of the fame, for what, Dennis Franz' scary naked behind? When Homicide had the better writing and actors hands down with David Simon, Paul Attanasio and Barry Levinson.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the TV Series forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  TV Series forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  94
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions