Customer Discussions > TV Series forum

Old Classic Tv Shows vs Modern Day Tv Shows/Which Are Better?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 5:21:57 PM PDT
Harold47 says:
WOW! That's what I'm missing! The 50's!

I Love Lucy
Honeymooners
Ozzie & Harriet
Father Knows Best
Make Room For Daddy
Leave It To Beaver

Can anyone loan me $100k?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 5:34:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2011 5:36:20 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
You're absolutely right Harold! The 50's! We can't 4get that decade! I've been focusing so much on the 60's-90's...you can't sleep on the 50's! Is that when George Reeves' "Superman" aired? Is this the decade when one of the most famous/classic tv lines ever was produced..."Look,Up In The Sky,It's A Bird,It's A Plane,It's Superman!

Classic Show! Classic Line! U gotta love it!
If somebody loans you the money,then I will hit u up 4 a loan.
There is still plenty more that I need to buy!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 6:03:58 PM PDT
Harold47 says:
The Lone Ranger
Roy Rogers
Cisco Kid
Mickey Mouse Club (LOVED Annette!)
Superman
Rifleman
Red Skelton
Gunsmoke

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 9:10:48 PM PDT
Robert Smith says:
Thanks for the reply posting TEC 9.It's very cool to see all the other postings,and the great classic shows that are enjoyed by so many.Many of the postings remind me of great shows that I don't have in my collection,and reading about them makes me want to continue adding to my collection.I sure agree with you on your earlier posting that "All In The Family" was a ground breaking show that did pave the way for many new shows after.Norman Lear was a genius.I am happy that Shout Factory took over where Sony left off to release the final three seasons of "All In The Family".It's frustrating how the studios will sometimes stop after releasing only one season of a series (like Maude by Sony).I guess it's all about profits,and if they don't sell a million copies,they don't release additional seasons.But I am very happy with the sets that I have of classic shows.One show I had forgot to mention that I enjoy is "The Streets Of San Francisco".It's too bad that Paramount only released two seasons.I keep my eyes on tvshowsondvd.com daily to see if any new releases are announced of any classic tv shows.Old shows do indeed rule.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 9:18:56 PM PDT
Robert Smith says:
Great shows Harold.Gunsmoke is a show I need to add to my collection.What a classic western.And what a long series it was.It's amazing how many years it spanned.The Lone Ranger and The Rifleman were great too.One show I have not seen in years was The Tales Of Will Sonnett.Another classic.

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 11:38:09 PM PDT
Highway Patrol
Sea Hunt,
Men IntoSpace
Science Fiction Theatre
Harbor Command
I Led Three Lives
Everglades
Waterfront
The Man Called X
Ripcord
Rescue 8
Lassie
Rin Tin Tin
Fury
My Friend Flicka
Space Patrol
Circus Boy
Lawman
Dragnet (Original)
Lockup
Code 3
Decoy

They Just don't make em like they used to! :(

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 11:47:56 PM PDT
George says:
TV Shows of the 90's that I loved were:

The Pretender (1996)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HG37AxGaOE

Early Edition (1996)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZTfvwqz3AU

Renegade (1992)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F_Tk3Ep8oU

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 3:55:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2011 3:57:12 AM PDT
M. Whorton says:
TEC 9, Have you tried over the air broadcast TV since its been converted to digital. I bought an antenna three years ago and the amount of channels and the high definition picture quality is amazing. Its a major improvement from the analog days. I now get 16 channels (6 are in HD) with my antenna. I get CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, And PBS in HD and classic TV channels like MeTV and This TV in my area. and its all free. MeTV shows the 60s Batman every Saturday at 7pm and Lost in Space at 8pm. Go to www.tvfool.com and type in your info to see what channels are in your area. I have saved $2,900 from not paying for pay TV since I cut the cord three years ago. That buys a lot of classic shows on DVD or other things for your enjoyment.

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 4:04:15 AM PDT
M. Whorton says:
Re: What classic tv show from the 80's do u have on dvd?

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
Airwolf
The Dukes of Hazzard
The A-Team that comes packaged in The A-Team van
Knight Rider
The Greatest American Hero
The Incredible Hulk with Bill Bixby
Sledge Hammer

I also want full series of Chips, The Fall Guy, The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo, Night Court, and Perfect Strangers. They need to release these ASAP.

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 7:03:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2011 7:48:35 PM PDT
stevign says:
Every decade had it's good shows and bad shows but it has become obvious to me that most people forget just how "many" shows were on in each decade.....even back in the 50s.

Sitcoms would be the easiest to judge as they're the lowest form of humor on TV. Ninety nine percent of them go for the cheapest laugh and they're filled with cliché after cliché, stereotype after stereotype and the jokes cater to the 7 to 12 year olds; but even a 12 year old can see the punch-line coming a mile away. The prejudice and bigotry is still there too; it used to include Blacks, Latinos, Asians and Women; now it's Whites , Men and Republicans.

As for Drama it has changed and changed for the better; the writing became more intelligent, involved and the concepts more original. Many dramas have more violence, harsh language and sexual situations than in the past but depending on the context, the amount, who you are and what your taste is, it can be a plus or a minus. Point being, it doesn't make a drama any less original or any less intelligent; it just means more viewers may tune out.

Examples of "Best Of"

Best Sitcoms of the 50s, 60s and 70s:
The Honeymooners
The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show
Abbott and Costello Show
The Thin Man.
Andy Griffith Show
Dick Van Dyke Show
All in the Family
Barney Miller
Good Times
The Jeffersons
Sanford and Son
Soap
Taxi
WKRP in Cincinnati

Best Sitcoms of 90's forward:

Roseanne
Frasier
Seinfeld
Sports Night
Ed
The Bernice Mac Show
The Simpsons
South Park
Pushing Daisies
The Riches

Best Dramas of the 50s, 60, 70s:
Perry Mason
Twilight Zone
Alfred Hitchcock Presents
The Defenders
The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
The Fugitive
Run for Your Life
Mission: Impossible
Rawhide
Columbo
Kojak
The Rockford Files

Best Dramas of 1990s and forward:

NYPD Blue
Homicide: Life on the Street
The West Wing
Law & Order
L.A. Law
The Shield
Life
Terriers
Prison Break
NCIS
Alias
Damages
Rubicon
House
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Justified
Chase
Lie To Me
The Mentalist
The Closer
Friday Night Lights
Boomtown
Burn Notice
MI-5
Intelligence
Sons of Anarchy
Suits
The Good Wife
Blue Bloods
Rookie Blue
Detroit 1-8-7
The Chicago Code

* There are lots of great shows on the Premium channels but I don't get them so I left them off.

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 7:32:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2011 7:35:56 AM PDT
Rita Reader says:
TEC 9
Ok, here goes one line that to me is so classic (we are at the funeral of Chuckles the Clown who died because he was dressed as a giant peanut and was 'shelled' by a circus elephant.) Mary had previously shamed everyone for laughing at the situation because the poor man is dead. Then at his funeral the speaker talks of Chuckles and mentions his favorite saying: "A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." Where then Mary bursts out laughing uncontrollably. Also, when Barney tells Andy that Malcom Merriweather is 'not from around here.' Then Barney looks around as if to give a terrible secret, leans in and tells Andy. "He's from . . . . . somewheres else." This is a line that my husband and I are always using about anyone from out of the country. I also love Earnest T. Bass' poetry, which according to what the actor said, he totally ad libbed. "I can see you but you can't see me! It's me it's me, it's Earnest T!!!!"
I have "The Andy Griffith Show"
The Beverly Hillbillies
Green Acres
The Big Valley
Black Saddle ( a series Peter Breck starred in long before BV)
Here Come the Brides
Wanted Dead or Alive with Steve McQueen
Looney Tunes golden Collections One through seven
Tom and Jerry
George of the Jungle (the old one)
Huckelberry Hound
Droopy collection (LOVE Tex Avery cartoons)
The Jetsens
The Foghorn Leghorn Collection
AND I am waiting for a Pepe Le Pew collection! Come on people Pepe is classic. I also plan to buy all the "I Love Lucy" seasons. Just haven't yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 7:34:41 AM PDT
stevign says:
re: "Come on people Pepe is classic"

No he's not, he's French.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 7:40:08 AM PDT
Rita Reader says:
But my DAH LING, YOU MUST AGREE WITH ME- can't you understaaand what yew meeen to me! Pleasssss my leetle gumbo of cheeekenn- YOUR FRENCH fried shrimp is seeezling for you!!! AHHH ZEE SWWEET NOOOTHINGS! AHH ZEEE SWWEET SOMETHINGS! AHH ZEEE TENDER ENRAPTUREMENT!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 8:01:49 AM PDT
stevign says:
re: "can't you understaaand what yew meeen to me?!"

Not yet, but if you make me a list I would love to see it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 8:14:31 AM PDT
You left out my all-time Favorate Sitcom - GET SMART!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 8:26:54 AM PDT
Rita Reader says:
Oh I LOVE Get Smart. My husband is always saying "MISSED IT BY THAT MUCH!" You know when a show affects your everyday language that it made and impression.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 8:28:59 AM PDT
Rita Reader says:
I was being Pepe. But if you can't here my terrific accent, it is just not the same. Sorry. Mel Blanc was so amazing. When we were in California and went to the Warner brothers store, I got a Pepe nightshirt, a Pepe neclace and Pepe and Penelope salt shakers.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 8:44:08 AM PDT
Harold47 says:
Last I checked, they only released the first 3 seasons of Gunsmoke. When they start to show that they may be serious about releasing the other 17 seasons, I'll consider buying it too.

Speaking of westerns, my favorite was Bonanza. The first episode was aired in 1959 and it ran 14 seasons. They've only released 2 so far.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 8:51:23 AM PDT
If you are afraid of purchasing an incomplete series because it may be "Abandoned" you can always do what I do, take out an "Abandonment Insurance" Policy. You purchase the sets on ioffer or sell.com, if the Series gets "Abandoned" You'll have something to fall back on. If a Season gets a legitimate release, I take the "Insurance" Sets out to a Bar I own. It's called "The Workbench" and it's located at the back of my Garage. Patrons who go there end up getting HAMMERED! <G>

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 2:01:47 PM PDT
stevign says:
I was already in my 20s when it came out and too silly for me by then.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 2:06:01 PM PDT
stevign says:
re: "I was being Pepe"

I would like you better as Penelope. ;~)

Posted on Oct 4, 2011 3:12:51 PM PDT
In case you haven't heard, The Playboy Club has been Cancelled.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 5:18:11 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Harold:

Superman and Gunsmoke...2 of my favs from the fifties!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 5:38:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2011 5:48:12 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Robert:

re:Many of the postings remind me of great shows that I don't have in my collection,and reading about them makes me want to continue adding to my collection. Aren't the old classic tv shows addictive? I can never get enough of them! I watch them over and over again,and never get bored! A lot of addictions aren't good for us,but this one is!

No matter how big your collection gets,no matter how many shows you have,you just wanna keep adding more! The shows are that great! And you're right...if the sales of a tv show released on dvd aren't good,chances are the studios won't release the next season. That's a shame for those of us who are waiting for the next season of our shows 2B released.

The Streets Of San Francisco/Starsky And Hutch...two of my favorite Action/Adventure shows from the Seventies! And u cannot 4get Kojak! I'm happy that you're n'joying your classic tv show collection. Keep on doing so...and keep adding to it!

P.S.Since you are a regular viewer of tvshowsondvd.com,if you don't mind...please keep us abreast as to the new releases...thanx my friend! I'm am soooo waiting for S/2 of The Fall Guy..S/5 of Charlie's Angels..S/3 of The Bionic Woman..The Six Million Dollar Man..and 1966 Batman.

Are there any releases of your favs that anyone else is waiting for?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2011 5:51:20 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
I love Gunsmoke And Bonanza! Two great classic shows indeed! Was Gunsmoke the longest running show in tv history?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the TV Series forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Walking Dead... Anybody Watching? 136 10 hours ago
best tv shows made in australia 1959 1 day ago
Better Call Saul 84 2 days ago
Is "The Shield" any good 3 2 days ago
Downton Abbey 459 3 days ago
Is anyone? 168 3 days ago
***DIG*** 8 5 days ago
Bates Motel 436 5 days ago
Justified Final Season 0 5 days ago
DirecTV Satillite Company 59 5 days ago
*The Good Wife* 148 6 days ago
Your top best ever TV series is . . . 97 7 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  TV Series forum
Participants:  87
Total posts:  2211
Initial post:  Sep 30, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions