Customer Discussions > TV Series forum

Old Classic Tv Shows vs Modern Day Tv Shows/Which Are Better?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 7:14:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2011 7:15:17 AM PDT
stevign says:
Meet the Press is the longest-running television series in American broadcasting history: 63 years - 4,946 + episodes.

Guiding Light (known as The Guiding Light before 1975, or simply GL) is an American daytime television drama that is credited by the Guinness Book of World Records as the longest running DRAMA in television and radio history, running from 1937 until 2009. It is also among the longest running broadcast programs in history of any kind, across radio media for 15 years, and then television media for 57 years, being first broadcast five days after President Franklin D. Roosevelt's second inauguration.

It aired on radio from January 25, 1937, to June 29, 1956, and debuted on CBS Television on June 30, 1952 running for 57 years. The series was expanded from 15 minutes to a half hour in 1968, and then to a full hour on November 7, 1977.

* Guiding Light aired its 15,000 televised episode on September 6, 2006.

* Gunsmoke - 633 episodes

"The year 2007 marked the twentieth anniversary of The Simpsons franchise. As of the twenty-first season (2009-2010), The Simpsons is the longest-running American primetime, scripted television series, having surpassed Gunsmoke. However, Gunsmoke's episode count of 635 episodes far surpasses The Simpsons, which would not reach that mark until its approximate 29th season, under normal programming schedules."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 7:39:21 AM PDT
Harold47 says:
Thanks for the info stevign.

I wasn't even considering daytime dramas, (probably because I'm not a fan) but I do know some have been running a very long time. I also didn't realize the Simpsons has been around that long.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 8:05:15 AM PDT
stevign says:
Harold:

re: "I wasn't even considering daytime dramas, (probably because I'm not a fan) "

It is rather sad to think soap operas can last that long isn't it?

re: "I also didn't realize the Simpsons has been around that long."

Considering their first few seasons were not very funny and the look of the characters not well drawn....yeah. They hit their stride after the drawings were made better and some new writers were brought on board. Then a few seasons towards the end they jumped the shark. Still, in their hey-day they were extremely funny.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 9:24:44 AM PDT
Harold47 says:
stevign:

re: "It is rather sad to think soap operas can last that long isn't it?"

lol, it sure is. I got hooked on a soap opera one time while working a night shift for several months. Once I got back to the day shift, I vowed it would NEVER happen again. That was 40 years ago.

I'm not a real big fan of the Simpsons either, but do watch occasionaly.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 9:30:44 AM PDT
stevign says:
They should have a 12-Step Program for soap opera addicts.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 9:54:50 AM PDT
Rita Reader says:
The Penelope I was talking about was Pepe's love the little cat. But I was crazy about Penelope Pitstop!! I wonder if that is available on dvd since they released Huckleberry Hound. I will have to check. Yes, the Big Valley was the one with Lee Majors as Heath. Peter Breck was Nick, and Richard Long was Jarrod. I was a Nick girl, but most of the ladies were over the moon about Heath.

Tec 9- Oh yes, they made soooo many fans mad about that. But they just basically said, 'we are not making enough money so we're done.' Another thing Fox did that made the fans crazy, was the first time they released the second season dvd, on the cover they put Lee Majors on there twice and left out Richard Long. Can we say the word research people? Is there no one in your office who can google in your art department? They pulled the cover and corrected it, but how dumb can you get? What ended up happening is you have a lot of people burning the episodes off on their computers and passing around the other seasons. A really wonderful lady on the Big Valley chat gave me all the rest of the seasons, all of the Black Saddle shows, and all of the Lancers on dvd because she had a western channel somewhere that enabled her to do it. She was so sweet, and she wouldn't let me send her any money either, so I sent her a gift she wanted (It was about Ben Johnson and my hometown is the same as his so I sent her some stuff she was collecting. Yes, I am dying for all of the I Love Lucy's. There are not even any re-runs on the cable I have and used to you could find it on several channels every day. I also love what I call the Barneyisms : "TICK A LOCK!!!" "NIP IT . . . JUST NIP IT IN THE BUD!!"
After Andy said Earnest T. Bass is 'high strung' Barney replies, "I THINK HE"S A NUT!"
And the Jed Clampett sayings "Someday, I'm going to have to have a LOOONNNG talk with that boy."
Taking a glass of champagne from Elly he said, "Elly Mae, you don't need to be drinkin' any of that gassed up cider!"
As to Palladin, I remember my Dad watching those a lot but I haven't seen many of them. They are available on dvd though. It just astounds me how they will put some series like that released on dvd. Yet, with the Big Valley, who on the web you can find entire sites dedicated to it, every episode, etc. People have written dozens of short stories about the characters, and Fox won't release it. I also have the entire Star Trek Next Generation and Star Trek Voyagers on dvd along with all of the Scrubs.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 9:56:58 AM PDT
Rita Reader says:
Stevign, So how many years was Gunsmoke on? Wasn't it more than 20?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 10:40:07 AM PDT
stevign says:
The radio version ran from 1952 to 1961. The television version ran for 20 seasons from 1955 to 1975, and was the United States' longest-running prime time, live-action drama with 635 episodes.

In 2010, Law & Order tied this record of 20 seasons (but only 456 episodes).

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 7:44:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2011 8:05:57 PM PDT
For me, every show is a reflection of it's decade, looking over my collection I have noticed a trend with my taste, for me it is cop shows, Sci-Fi & melodramtic drama with ongoing storylines, I have about the same number from each decade

Cop shows
70's.....Starsky & Hutch
80's.....Miami Vice
90's.....NYPD Blue, Silk Stalkings, Nash Bridges
2000's....all the C.S.I.'s, Third Watch

Nighttime drama
70's to 80's....Dallas, Knot's Landing
90's....Melrose Place, 90210, Dr.Quinn Medicine Woman
2000's....Lost

Sci-Fi
70's....Incredilbe Hulk
Battlestar Galactica
80's...Star Trek NG, "V"
90's...Star Trek DS9
2000's....Star Trek Enterprise

then there are the P.I. shows
70's....Charlie's Angels
80's...Magnum PI, Moonlighting

Having said this...it is hard for me to say which is better....simply because each show reflects it's time.....

as for reality shows...I hate them....however I admit that the "Hills" has been a guilty pleasure, I had a huge crush on Lauren Conrad, her & that idiot Spencer really are about the only two people on that show with any real personality!!

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 9:04:41 PM PDT
RichieV says:
I have to say, in the old days Movies were creative and TV was generic.

Now days it seems that Movies are generic and TV is where a lot of the creativity is happening.

There have always been good shows but I think since "Twin Peaks" TV has been more willing to take chances. Not only that but shows have memory, When something happens in a TV show now days the characters remember it. In the old days if "Dan Fielding" learned his lesson, next episode it would be as if it never happened.

Add in great cable shows and I have to put in my vote that modern TV (Post Twin Peaks) get the edge over the older shows even though there were some very good older shows.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 1:47:54 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
I also have Tom & Jerry,as well as Looney Tunes,as part of my collection. You have Woody Woodpecker?! I'm jealous! I need that! I didn't even know that Woody was on dvd! I will look into that ASAP!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 1:49:02 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Thanks Harold.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 2:11:15 AM PDT
Jay #1 says:
Hi Rita,

Sorry,I didn't even know that lil' cat,Pepe's love,was named Penelope. It's funny how Pepe didn't know that she was a cat,he thought she was a female skunk because of the can of white paint that fell on her back and created the stripe. I guess he was so blinded by love that he couldn't tell the difference.

re:we are not making enough money so we are done. I guess it is all about The Almighty Dollar. I guess if the sales aren't great...the next season of a show won't be released,never mind what the fans want. This really sucks. Since this is the case,people are gonna do what they have to do in order to get copies of their favorite shows on dvd.

Don't these classic tv lines make you feel warm and toasty inside? They are priceless and they stick with you for a lifetime. I grew up watching the original Star TreK in the 70's. I appreciate you sharing your great memories,I will soon share some of mine.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 8:19:16 AM PDT
Harold47 says:
TEC 9: "I guess it is all about The Almighty Dollar. I guess if the sales aren't great...the next season of a show won't be released,never mind what the fans want."

I think that pretty much says it all. Profits (sales) are much more important than customer satisfaction in today's world.

I remember when I was hired for my first full time job which was with a major corporation. One of my new bosses explained to me that customer satisfaction was the number one priority in our company. Give the customers what they, when they want it, and where they want it. Then the profits will come, because a satisfied customer is a faithful customer. If we don't satistfy our customer, they'll go somewhere else.

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 9:10:26 AM PDT
"If we don't satistfy our customer. they'll go somewhere else"

You nailed it on the head Harold! Since the Pay-TV Companies aren't satistfying their customers, they are "Cutting the Cord" and getting their entertainment needs elsewhere, such as Netflix, Hulu, OTA TV and DVD/Blu-Ray. And speaking of DVDs, if the Studios refuse to put out certain sets because of various "Issues" such as Music, or because of "Political Correctness" then people turn to other sources such as ioffer.com or sell.com to get what they want.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 10:07:10 AM PDT
stevign says:
Fact is, the customer (tv viewer) "is" being satisfied.....it's just not working out in your favor. The TV industry makes it's money on advertising income, so what shows are advertisers going to want to advertise on? That's right, the most "popular" shows...and that's not always the ones you and I might like. Matter of fact, they're the ones I "rarely" like because they're lame, unfunny, poorly written or they're Reality shows like that horrid New Jersey show.

If you wanna blame somebody then blame that butthead across the street from you who watches that crap, not New York or Hollywood for pulling shows that don't bring in advertisers. This is simple Business 101, I don't know why people don't get that.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 11:55:50 AM PDT
Ben Masters says:
Me too! I only have one 90s one, that being "Star Trek: Voyager."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 2:50:25 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
And a satisfied customer will spread the word to his/her friends...and that will help the business to boom.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 2:57:17 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
I agree stevign,the shows that are watched the most are the ones that are gonna get the push,whether we like those shows or not. The only way that crapy shows are gonna be removed from television is if people stop watching them. If people continue to watch,these shows will continue to be produced. It's common sense and good business.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 2:59:56 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
The Fresh Prince Of Belair and Martin were my favorite shows of the 90's!

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 3:06:45 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 27, 2012 3:38:12 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 3:22:58 PM PDT
Harold47 says:
I agree that the advertisers will want to advertise on the shows that are popular TODAY. And that is where TV producers of today's shows will go. If "reality" is popular, they will give more "reality". And the advertisers will love it. So the producers make lots of money. If the butthead accross the street loves it, that's his problem.

But the DVD's of shows from 20 to 50 years ago, have no commercials (no advertisers required). This is a completely different customer base. It is all those customers that think "reality" is crap and long for classic TV. It's all those long lost customers that DON'T like what's "popular" right now. If they want all 9 seasons of their favorite classic show, and the producers only give them 3... the producers just lost a customer for 6 more seasons of that show.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 3:26:14 PM PDT
stevign says:
Glad you agree. I don't mind slapping writers around when they fill shows with clichés, lame dialogue and weak plots but our main priority "right now" should be brow-beating those people who watch Reality shows.

To that end I name Billy Lombardi. He watches those shows which makes him partially responsible for some of my favorite shows being canceled. I know he's around here somewhere, if anyone sees him either kick his ass or come get me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 3:28:53 PM PDT
stevign says:
Harold:

re: "If the butthead accross the street loves it, that's his problem."

And he has made it "our" problem. As for DVDs of the past, you're right, that's a different issue.

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 3:39:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2011 7:17:35 PM PDT
Jay #1 says:
So what can/should we do in order to continuously get further seasons of our favorite old shows released on dvd?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  TV Series forum
Participants:  83
Total posts:  2194
Initial post:  Sep 30, 2011
Latest post:  May 23, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions