Customer Discussions > TV Series forum

TV Comedies

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 77 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2011 12:05:31 AM PDT
I just might give it a try when the season slows down.
Right now trying out the new 1-hour shows; for the first time, CW is bringing about a few newbies that looks kind of good to me. So, I'm giving them my attention.
But thanks for popping in.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 6:11:51 AM PDT
SMH says:
No. No. No. Please don't bring this type of show back. Ever. It's not 1975 anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 6:12:41 AM PDT
SMH says:
Yes, they are...if you're 60. Let's go ahead and move with the times...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 10:11:49 AM PDT
stevign says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 8:58:24 AM PDT
Laust Cawz says:
Memorable moments from the "M*A*S*H*" film--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXteg4mSyd8&feature=related

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 8:48:34 AM PDT
Hi Everybody,

It's been quite a spell since anyone has visited this discussion, I thought today I'd get the ball rolling again.
My main question to you is, do you think there are now too many comedies on tv?
And which ones do you think are the closest to being family-comedy like what All in the Family, Benson, Three's Company, etc use to be? If none come close, the comedy show business is in sad shape; writers do not know how to write like the writers of many years past. And back then, we didn't have numerous sit-coms like we do now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 10:26:36 AM PDT
Harold47 says:
"My main question to you is, do you think there are now too many comedies on tv?"

That's a hard question to answer. I think there is plenty of comedy on TV today, but a better question for me would be, "Is it comedy that I want to watch?" The answer to that question is "No!"

The big difference between TV of past years and the TV of today, is that in past years there seemed to be a lot more variety to pick from. It's hard to explain, but I would much rather watch DVD's of shows I loved from the past than watch what is currently on TV.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 12:51:00 PM PDT
Hey, good answer, Harold.
If most TV viewers feel that way, they should not hesitate letting the television networks know. All they do is keep producing and producing; they can't seem to stop.
The last decent comedy that was actually pretty good was Wiiliam Shatner's (My Dad). CBS had it on Thursday night. The moment the show was getting in trouble, they should have moved it to Monday night, but didn't. I just don't understand networks at times. I get the impression that they want their shows to fail at times; NBC certainly made no effort in saving Trauma. They just let it sink.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 2:39:37 PM PDT
Harold47 says:
I have to agree. Sometimes it seems producers are out of touch with their customers. Some shows could have been saved with a simple time slot adjustment. Others were canceled when I think they easily could have run for another year or two.

They do the same thing with DVD production. They release a season or two and just stop. They claim there is just not enough interest [profit]. They don't seem to realize that customers get tired of that excuse. Why should I bother buying the first season on DVD when they have a history of quitting half way? Some shows just seemed to get better after a few seasons, so some customers are waiting for their favorite seasons or episodes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 1:15:09 AM PDT
That's where two godsends called ioffer.com and sell.com come in. These "Trading Sites" give you the opportunity to obtain TV Shows and Movies that the Studios REFUSE to release. Yes I know, they're Bootlegs. I don't condone going this route. However, you are just going to face it. there are times when someone wants something but whoever's supposed to provide that product simply refuses to supply it. What's a person supposed to do? Simple, he or she gets that product from "Somewhere Else". Two wrongs don't make a right, but there are times the only way to fight fire is WITH FIRE!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2012 8:12:02 AM PDT
Hi William,
I bought an item from ioffer.com and never received it. I won't be making the mistake of ordering from them ever again.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 9:10:45 AM PDT
If that happens you should DISPUTE the payment to them and/or your credit card.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 10:08:55 PM PDT
M. Whorton says:
Re: What's a person supposed to do?

You can also see if its uploaded on Youtube. I've watched the last 5 seasons of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and a lot of other rare programming there.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 8:11:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 8:17:23 PM PDT
Looking back, my favorite sitcoms are the ones that were a little 'off' in some way. There's:
The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis - for starts, the star is constantly breaking the fourth wall, directly spelling out his predicaments to us, the audience. Through the show, all the dialog is expository, delivered in a staccato cadence that makes 'Dragnet' look like casual speech.
Leave It To Beaver - this show is always ridiculed as a life blueprint for the Plastic People in the Before Times...but I always liked how it was presented from the kids' perspective - and the kids were no clean-living robots; they were constantly doing the wrong thing, and worrying about the consequences of their Dad hollering at them.
Green Acres - sheesh, where to begin? It may have started out as 'The Egg and I' in 'Petticoat Junction' land, but it rapidly went into Crazyland, where personal identities broke down, as the hired hand called his bosses Mom and Dad, the female handyman was treated as a guy, and a pig was a couple's son. Try to deny any of this and *you're* the crazy one.

One of the bright spots for me for quite some time has been NBC's Thursday night comedies - I hope they'll continue to have a place for the likes of 30 Rock, Community, and Parks & Recreation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 2:03:34 PM PDT
Mystery Science Theater 3000 I think, is one of these shows that has no sense once whatsoever.
I've seen a few episodes, but only at the end when a different tv series was coming up.
And Fox, they can do so much better than what they have, like-----bring back The Flintstones! So much better than The Simpsons, etc.
The networks are so crazed about sit-coms that Thayer can't see straight. They've got to cool their jets. It would be okay if they'd produce family-type comedy shows, like, MASH, Benson, & All in the Family, just to name a few.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 10:16:38 PM PDT
M. Whorton says:
Sunday Night on Fox should be called The Animation Abomination. The whole night is garbage.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 2:17:32 PM PDT
Hey, I fully agree; trash all the way.
If they want something good, bring back westerns; we need them badly.
We tv buffs are due for a big, big, change. Why not the remake of Wagon Train? That would be a good start, just to get the ball rolling.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 3:39:45 PM PDT
Harold47 says:
I was just looking at the prime time listings. All I see is a whole bunch of "reality", crime dramas, and news magazines, with a few sitcoms thrown in here and there. I'm just plain sick of "reality" and crime.

Whatever happened to comedy/variety (Carol Burnette) and westerns (Bonanza)? I would also like to see more FAMILY FRIENDLY sitcoms (Cosby Show). I would like to see FUN shows I can watch with my grandchildren in the room. Maybe a cartoon or two (Flintstones).

And please don't show the exact same line up of shows EVERY NIGHT like the Classic TV stations seem to do. Please at least make an attempt to have a LOT more variety each night of the week. Make Monday night different than Tuesday night, which is different than Wednesday, etc.

That's just my opinion and the reason I watch my collections of DVD's and VHS tapes every night. I don't even bother to check the networks or Classic TV stations anymore. I watch what I want to watch, when I want to watch it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 9:52:24 PM PDT
stevign says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 9:59:20 PM PDT
M. Whorton says:
Saturday Night Live is a variety show and its in its 37 year and in HD.

My favorite variety show is The Benny Hill show. I have all 6 volumes on DVD from 1969 to 1989. I've been watching volume 3 lately.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 1:04:55 PM PDT
Harold47 says:
I think I remember the Benny Hill Show! It was very funny. I'll have to keep that one in mind for the future.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 10:46:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2012 10:48:29 PM PDT
M. Whorton says:
I've been watching Benny Hill for close to 30 years on TV, VHS, and now on DVD. He is one of the best. I love the songs he sings and the fast paced skits that are sped up. I like how he pats the old bald guy (Jackie Wright) on the head.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 10:50:52 PM PDT
stevign says:
I thought people only watched his show for the hot babes.

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 1:08:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2012 1:09:35 AM PDT
stature says:
The comedies I watch are Community, Wilfred, and Spy.
Community - you never know what they will do:Bring down the Chang dynasty, make their way through an 80's video game, CSI style ep investigation, pillow fort vs. blanket fort, ...
Wilfred - just recently had an intro / pre season 2 ep with the pot smoking dog
Spy - very well done British comedy, one story line involves the relationship that his family counselor thinks she is having with the title character, which is very funny to watch, and another is his battle of wits with Marcus

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 1:56:01 AM PDT
M. Whorton says:
The Benny Hill Show has it all. Great comedic talent and hot babes. Starting in 1978 with Volume 4 Benny Hill added Hill's Angels to his show. They are smokin hot!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the TV Series forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Orphan Black 66 2 minutes ago
***BITTEN*** 7 15 minutes ago
What TV Commercials do you L*O*V*E*??? 328 38 minutes ago
best tv shows made in australia 2051 1 hour ago
Bates Motel 468 3 hours ago
Old Forgotten TV Shows 22 6 hours ago
TV Show Title Mix-Ups 85 10 hours ago
Your top best ever TV series is . . . 100 11 hours ago
Tic-Tac-Toe 109 13 hours ago
Yeoman Rand from "Star Trek" passes away, RIP 1 14 hours ago
Whatchu Watching Tonight*??? 13 17 hours ago
Favorite TV Show Quotes: 32 17 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  TV Series forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  77
Initial post:  Jan 30, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions