Customer Discussions > TV Series forum

The Cable network TV Land: What ARE they doing?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2008 6:49:56 PM PDT
Sam Stevens says:
I agree 100%!!!!! Wake up T>V> Land and turn back the clock!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2008 8:28:35 PM PDT
i so totally agree with everything you said. tv land is going down!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2008 9:07:53 PM PDT
Dean Wisland says:
Yes, the shark has eaten TV Land and spit it out. High School Reunion?!! Watching paint dry is more fun. Extreme makeover? Actually, a good show, but it does not belong on TV Land. And it just isn't TV Land sinking into the mud either. Remember when MTV and VH1 just showed videos? Now, they show trash that rots your brain faster then LSD would. Celerebity rehab? The real world? YEECHHH!!! Newton Minnow, the former head of the FCC in the 60's (and the guy the Skipper and Gilligans boat is named after) called TV a vast wasteland in 1961. Now it is a vast TOXIC wasteland. Thank god for the DVD player.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2008 3:13:26 PM PDT
R. Hevdal, I love your idea about the "OUT OF FOCUS" award. TV Land/Nick at Nite is a prime candidate, as are Comedy Central and the Sci-Fi channel.

I agree 100% with all the posters here (notice how nobody is jumping up to defend TV land? I've never seen so much consensus on one message board.) I will forever hold a debt to the original Nick at Nite for introducing me to Route 66, but that sense of obligation in no way applies to the profiteers who run the station now.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2008 4:50:02 PM PDT
Debit says:
im really sorry to hear about this.. i remember the original nick at nite that had the new years eve marathon with casey kaseem of the years top episodes the fans voted on.. man... theyve come a long ways down it seems... too bad..there was a time when i hate my cable company for putting tv land on basic..now i guess i dont have to worry...
i do miss all those old shows..been buying too much on amazon to watch em on my own he he
best way i guess...
buy em up and watch em on your own...
im getting wild wild west tomorrow and i cant wait... who needs em i say! thats what amazon is for :P

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2008 9:16:21 PM PDT
ImEzekiel65 says:
Man, I am really glad to see that this thread is still alive and well. If only someone could send a link of it to TV Land. They REALLY need to see this!!!!

Not that it'll change their minds or anything. But at least they'll know how we feel, anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2008 4:43:57 AM PDT
Lily says:
Pesonally, I don't think they care how viewers feel. It's all about the Benjamins. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2008 5:25:10 AM PDT
T. Seymour says:
TVLand is into new and original progamming lately.That's not what they are about and definitely not the reason we watch the channel.As i've said before, they are obviously trying to appeal to the lowest common denomonator, i.e. the dregs of our society.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2008 2:23:02 PM PDT
Television is run by the advertising syndicates these days. And it is always in the interest of advertising to appeal to the lowest common denomonator.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2008 9:28:19 PM PDT
Hi ImEzekiel65,
I am glad the thread is still going, too. I didn't expect such a large amount of participants when I started it. It's obvious that many other people are also angry and fed up, like I am. We deserve better.

What burns me up lately are the massive amount of commercials squeezed into television shows (especially on TV Land). I know it's TV's bread and butter, and they need sponsors. But the amount of air time the ads take up is absurd and annoying. If you watch TV Land's programs (or most reruns on TV currently, for that matter) you will notice that one third of a program's content is the advertising. So they need to keep drastically trimming footage from the shows in order to jam in more commercials each year. All the stations do this now. If you are very familiar with certain episodes, you can figure out which lines or scenes have been sacrificed. Soon I'm afraid that commercials will take up half the air time. Trust me, it will happen.

Another irritating thing about all these ads is that their interruptions of the program (sometimes three or four times during a half hour show) completely and utterly ruin the 'rhythm' of the program. You watch a show and become involved in the comedy or drama, and right at a moment that's highly unexpected, a commercial quickly pops in. You lose the flow, the enjoyment. It's just stupid.

On TV Land and other channels, I notice that they force a break right after the first couple of minutes of a show, then another break around ten minutes in, then another at about the twenty minute mark, and then they go to another break only a few minutes before the end of the episode; they return from commercial to a brief scene, and the episode ends.

I'm really surprised that they haven't tried speeding up the video footage of programs slightly so that they can fit even more ads in. I can't think of any other way they can fit more commercials in, unless they do a picture-in-picture sort of thing. I'm joking but I wouldn't put it past them.

To be realistic, I understand that TV isn't the most important form of entertainment; I do read, and often focus on hobbies, take walks, socialize, and so on. But it is a sizeable part of our lives, and it ought to be better quality. Sadly this thread feels like I'm screaming at a brick wall; and even trying to express these complaints of mine formally results in getting no response.
It would be quite a miracle if someone at TV Land saw these comments and understood how we feel.

I do thank you all for your comments and thoughts. It's good to have a little fellowship of sorts, on this discussion thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2008 9:45:35 PM PDT
Lizzie B says:
I've come to this discussion late, but I too really miss the old TV Land. I hope some other startup network will decide to show all of the old 50s and 60s TV programs.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2008 9:58:57 PM PDT
Sardonicus has echoed my sentiments word for word. The pop-up ads and the credits at end, are smothered by more ads. The moronic programming. And on and on and on. My belief has always been.. " If it ain't broke, why fix it?! I guess the big question is Why??!! I thought t.v.land was for a our special section of the mass. If I want to see a movie. Heck, their's nine million other channel for that. But I don't want to see a damn movie. I'm turning to t.v. land...Well not anymore. Bye Bye miss American pie. I'm going with dvd sitcoms 50's and 60's. No more pop-ups no more program shrinkage. No fuss, no muss.. Goodbye T.V. "bland"

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2008 10:10:08 PM PDT
Hi Frayne
Nice to see another sane person who is sick of the nonsense. I hear you.
I just found another tv thread here about wanting the perfect "all sitcoms" cable channel... but I felt it would just become another dumb cable channel with reality shows and commercials galore. I suggested that the next best thing would be making your own sitcom mix dvd's, or getting a multi disc dvd player so you can keep five different sitcom discs in it so whenever you want, you can watch your favorite program.

Sure would beat TV Land for entertainment.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2008 7:10:08 AM PDT
dj206 says:
New names for TV Land:
1. Promo Bug Land
2. Crap Land
3. Movie Land
4. Reality Land

"High School Reunion" does not belong on this channel. Then again, I have watched very little of TV Land since they started squeezing the credits, added movies (the same ones over and over), reality cap, and the promo bug plugging the reality crap. I have seen popup ads for the relaity crap on the lower left at the same time the promo bug is on the lower right. How much more real estate on the screen do TV Land and other networks want to overlay (go take a look at LMN).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2008 4:31:07 PM PDT
And I hear that there is a separate TV Land in Canada that is different from the U.S. TV Land. The two are not related as the Canada TV Land liscenses the rights to the TV Land name from TV Land U.S.A.

I agree with everyone about the recent changes at TV Land. In the meantime, I will be watching more of KDOC-TV Channel 56 in Los Angeles. They carry all of the good old shows without annoying ads in the bottom of the screen during a program and they do not talk over the credits nor compress the credits.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2008 10:56:00 AM PDT
Sandra says:
I too live in Canada and TVLand in Canada has gone downhill. They used to have shows like Mission Impossible, Get Smart and Car 54 to name a few. Now I rarely watch this station. I have emailed them to bring certain shows on, but just get back the usual message - we will keep your suggestions in mind - we pay extra for these digital stations, and I wonder for what. Deja View is a bit better, but when there is such a great variety of retro shows out there, you wonder how they pick these choices. I hate when they air shows that are on regular cable, again, when we pay extra for these stations. There is a lot of room for improvement in these stations.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2008 11:59:15 AM PDT
Kathy L.Hall says:
No! You are not along.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2008 4:11:58 PM PDT
M. Martin says:
Request your cable/satellite company add American Life TV. They're not 24/7 classics but they show programs like Mission Impossible, Combat, Mary Tyler Moore, the Bob Newhart Show, WKRP in Cincinatti, Trapper John MD, Lou Grant, Rat Patrol, Twelve O'Clock High, Lost In Space, Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Land of the Giants, The Green Hornet, Batman, the Color Honeymooners, Big Valley and some others.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2008 10:08:55 AM PDT
grundle2600 says:
There's a new national network called RTN, which stands for Retro Television Network. It's one of the new extra digital channels for NBC, so you don't even need cable to get it. More cities are adding affiliates all the time, and each city's affiliate has its own schedule.

Here in Pittsburgh, they show Get Smart, Hawaii Five-O, I Love Lucy, My Three Sons, Gomer Pyle, Magnum P.I., Rockford Files, Alfred Hitchcock, and Kojack. On Pittsburgh Comcast cable, it's on channel 207.

You can read about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retro_Television_Network

And here's a list of the cities that have the netowrk:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Retro_Television_Network_affiliates

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2008 10:34:46 AM PDT
grundle2600 says:
You can watch lots of old TV shows for free, legally, with a few commercials here:

http://www.hulu.com/

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2008 11:56:57 AM PDT
Joe Albanese says:
I agree 100%. There are programs that have not been seen by viewers for 30+ years (The Patty Duke Show, Our Miss Brooks, Ozzie & Harriet, Burns & Allen). Yet it seems that only programs within recent memory (Just Shoot Me/ Wings) make the cut. Shouldn't these be on NICK and leave the older, "classic" shows that are still talked about but not seen (or even available on video) on TV Land?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2008 1:44:14 PM PDT
Puppluv says:
BRAVO!!!! and not the network! You said it all. I left TV Land long ago but everytime I flip parsed or see it on the Tv guide I cannot believe it just continues to get worse and become another junky Tv re-run channel. If you are re-creating yourself at least do something that isn't out there already. But Tv land did not need to re-create itself it was the only (besides nick at nite) one of it's kind and people actually buzzed about it. Now it's just more junk. There are plenty of the re-reuns that I would watch again for the 4th or 5th time after seeing most of it on TVLAND years ago just because there's no other place to get that kind of great TV. If you refuse to re-reun great classics and be the Original TVLAND how about acquiring all the cancelled shows that only ran a few episodes? Maybe go back even older than what you ran before? But this is the same as everyother re-run plus reality channel....JUNK New Reality Junk and too recent to be classic junk. I want my TV Land back! The good old Tv land.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2008 2:51:35 PM PDT
Just wanted to mention their mailing address. If people think that there's hope for this network and that they would actually improve things if enough people asked them to, you can certainly write to them:
TV Land, 1515 Broadway, New York, NY 10036

Their website's email menu options do not include complaints, suggestions, or anything like that. They have an email selection for program suggestions (if you want to request them to show certain sitcoms, i.e. My Three Sons or Car 54 Where Are You, etc).

I personally believe that they have made their choice, and that they obviously have deserted their care for the viewers who want classic TV without the reality programs and other garbage.

And they've ruined Depeche Mode's song "Just Can't Get Enough", by playing that High School Reunion promo every #@&% ten minutes.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2008 9:25:04 PM PDT
I agree 100%. However, when I got HD, I got the premium HD package from Dish Network and got some great channels, uncut programs, far fewer commercials and a cleaner screen without the annoying on-screen logos.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2008 4:45:34 PM PDT
>So they need to keep drastically trimming footage from the shows in order to >jam in more commercials each year. All the stations do this now. If you are >very familiar with certain episodes, you can figure out which lines or scenes >have been sacrificed. Soon I'm afraid that commercials will take up half the >air time. Trust me, it will happen.

I actively keep a list of all sponsors who broadcast commercials on reruns of shows that are trimmed (butchered is more apt) for running time. And I try, as much as is humanely possible, to boycott those sponsor's product. It's a pretty futile gesture, I admit, but it does give me a bit of a sense of empowerment in the face of this sick outrage.
I'd like to think there are enough people mad enough about this phenomenom to join me in my boycott. Perhaps we could put an online position listing both the sponsors of programs that run butchered episode, and the list of names of people who have pledged not to use those products.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the TV Series forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  TV Series forum
Participants:  326
Total posts:  1536
Initial post:  Jan 27, 2008
Latest post:  Aug 10, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 39 customers

Search Customer Discussions