Customer Discussions > TV Series forum

The Cable network TV Land: What ARE they doing?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1476-1500 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2012 6:11:37 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 7:06:24 PM PDT
America1 says:
Well, Robert. Let's agree to disagree on politics - but we sure as heck agree on TV Land. Be interesting to find out if Viacom were getting a cut of the colon flow dough.

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 3:20:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 23, 2012 3:21:22 AM PDT
M. Whorton says:
Re: I'm feeling that paying my cable bill has become a big ripoff due to the fact that I'm paying for more commercial time than ever.

Its more than a feeling, its the truth. I realized this four years ago and cancelled my cable subscription. As long as people keep paying thier cable bill and supporting this stuff its going to continue to get worse. Hook up an antenna to get your local channels in HD for free and spend the money on DVDs of your favorite shows.

Also pay TV bills are around $100 a month these days. I have saved over $4,000 since I canceled my subscription.

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 5:31:26 AM PDT
Here in Daytona Beach Cable bills have risen from 98.00 in January to 129.00 in August. I read somewhere by 2017 people may be paying more for Cable TV than for their Auto Payments IF they are still subscribing (Something tells me they won't!).

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 12:39:03 AM PDT
M. Whorton says:
Its hard to believe that so many people keep paying those prices. Since over the air broadcast television has gone digital there are more channels than ever and all of them are crystal clear and some are in High defintion. Static in pictures is a thing of the past. Also there are more channels than ever. I get 15 channels where I live but some cities have between 30 and 50 channels available and they are free.

Plus you can buy movies on DVD for $5 or less. If I spent $100 a month on DVDs I would have more DVDs than I could ever watch. I've only spent $20 on DVDs this whole year and thats my total TV bill.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 6:21:00 AM PDT
Elizabeth says:
Nobody is addressing the fact that most people have cable because they have a bundled package, which includes phone and internet. Which brings the price down for each service exponentially. So you are ignoring what the majority of people are doing for $100+ or thereabouts per month, and what they're getting. Doing ala carte is going to make having landline and internet that much more expensive. I think $100 a month, which is roughly $33 per month each utility (if taken that way) is pretty average. I too, would like to lower all my bills, but I think in many ways, as interesting as this conversation has been, it's frivolous. Unless you can tell me how much you are paying for your phone (is it cell or land line?) and internet connection per month.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 6:55:21 AM PDT
Cliff says:
You can now get free landline service through Google Voice using the Obihai box. Works great! Check out the reviews:
OBi100 VoIP Telephone Adapter and Voice Service Bridge

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 12:23:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2012 12:27:07 PM PDT
W.T. says:
The switch to digital TV has been a boon for classic TV. Now that broadcast stations can fit a second or even third channel onto their allotted bandwidth, it's created a home for the stuff that used to be on "TV Land" in years past. Now, networks like "MeTV" and "Antenna TV" are basically what TV Land USED to be when it was good (except even better, because they have more shows).

Even in the heyday of "TV Land", you couldn't get "Leave it to Beaver", "Dennis the Menace", "The Patty Duke Show", "The Dick Van Dyke Show", "The Mary Tyler Moore Show", "Batman", "Get Smart!", "Emergency!", "Star Trek", "Daniel Boone", "Combat!", "Bonanza", "The Rifleman", "Gunsmoke", and dozens more on the same channel! (Those examples are from MeTV - Antenna TV has lineups that are almost as classic, with a few more movies and eighties shows mixed in.)

Look to see if any of your local stations broadcast "MeTV" or "Antenna TV". You can pick them up with an antenna for free, or demand that your local cable company add them to their lineup. Generally, the local stations won't charge the cable company anything extra to pick them up, so it's a "win-win" for everyone!

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 3:55:34 PM PDT
M. Whorton says:
I have AT&T's 1.5Mbps DSL for $20 a month and a landline phone for $30 a month. Back in 2008 Cox was charging me $83 a month for just cable TV. See if AT&T DSL is in your area.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 5:55:19 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 6:17:54 PM PDT
America1 says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 2:49:32 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 3:22:12 PM PDT
America1 says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 4:29:44 PM PDT

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 4:37:37 PM PDT
Elizabeth says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 4:49:01 PM PDT
America1 says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 4:51:52 PM PDT
Sorry we got away from the subject Elizabeth. It all started with my complaining about having to watch these stupid Obama ads every few minutes on TVLand. No more politics from me. I can't speak for America1 though. I will admit though, it's a close race between whether I'm more disgusted by Obama's ads or Colon Flow's ads....LOL.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 4:58:08 PM PDT
Elizabeth says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 7:59:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 8:01:34 AM PST
OldTimeTV says:
Elizabeth McMahon, That is another CON JOB pulled by cable companies to make you THINK you get a 'great deal" - you aren't, it's still a HUGE waste of money. Phone - through them it's a landline, so just get something like Magicjack (there are others) and your phone bill is around $2-3 a month. Internet? When I dropped my package I got the same speed for $40 a month through another company. That's it - my cable (combined package) went from $130 a month to.......$43. And that's with high speed internet (which you don't necessarily have to have depending on your needs - slower dsl can bring it down to $20 a month).
I watch ANYTHING I want to watch mainly via the internet, yes CNN, MSNBC (never Fox LOL), SyFi, etc. Some channels I can't view like Hallmark but big deal.
Oh, and now my cable company, for over a year, sends me a little advertisement for bundled package of "only" $79 - they didn't do that when I told them to pull the plug. Of course, that price is ONLY FOR ONE YEAR. LOL And if you are a satellilte subscriber, hey you get that first year for $69 a month. If they think I'm an idiot sucker, I have news for them. NO CORD ever . Never again. Period. SAVE your money or enjoy helping the CEO of your cable company vacation in Tahiti while you shovel snow.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 8:15:36 AM PST
OldTimeTV says:
"It's reported that more and more people are moving closer to cities, and cities have the local TV towers - fewer connect to the cable company than ever before."

Please do tell, just WHERE is this "REPORTED"? The bad side of the internet is that it lets anyone - anyone at all - voice an "opinion" and state supposed "facts", but they never back it up. So please, just what evidence do you have to support that claim???

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 4:35:48 AM PST
M. Whorton says:
Top Pay TV Providers See Third Quarter Subscriber Loss

According to the latest market analysis by the Leicthman Research Group, the nation's top 13 pay TV providers, who collectively control around 94% of the market and serve 94.6 million subscribers, saw their total TV subscribers dip last quarter. Those 13 providers lost about 53,500 net video subscribers in the third quarter, after gaining 17,000 during the same quarter one year ago.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Top-Pay-TV-Providers-See-Third-Quarter-Subscriber-Loss-122044

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 11:16:43 AM PST
Viacom is losing viewers IN DROVES. The ratings of two of their former "Cash Cows", Nickelodeon and MTV's ratings are DOWN over 30 %. Cord cutters aren't helping them out. I say Garbage in, garbage out. I could get an antenna and get Me-TV and Antenna TV, among others, but I have so many DVDs to watch I don't see getting an antenna anytime soon. I get my news over the Internet, and you already know how I get my Entertainment. The Holidays will soon be upon us, and in my area there loads of FREE Shows and Festivities to enjoy, all of which are FREE! :)

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 11:42:45 AM PST
One day, they will learn it boils down to content, content, content. Not only with the shows they run but with how they are presented. I glance at TVLand now and again when they have something like Andy Griffith. The shows are cut down more than ever for commercials and they even omit closing credits in favor of the more modern way of putting the credits in small text at the bottom of the screen during the closing scene. All through the show are corner bugs that promo their other shows. Even if TVLand went back to 100% vintage shows, they still would not be worth watching unless the way they showed them improved as well. I am aware of the need for commercial time but it has gotten ridiculous. The presentation is low rent. They need to compete with DVD and streaming. Streaming where on Netflix you can stream the Andy Griffith show in HD, uncut and uninterupted as part of an $8 a month subscription if you just do streaming. METV does edit shows and have commercials but they are not obnoxious about it and it makes for good casual viewing. Nick At Nite and TV Land are not even good for casual viewing.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 12:46:25 PM PST
The TV Industry knows they cannot sustain themselves much longer. One cannot continue to raise prices and lower the quality of their product and get away with it. Unfortunately those who are in charge of the companies refuse to change, they insist their customers pay for a bunch of channels they don't watch in order to watch the ones they want. The keep adding more Commercials and On-Screen Advertisements, and they keep jacking up the subscription rates. I'm sure you've heard about all the multi-billion dollar deals made by ESPN and the other sports networks with College and Professional teams, and the "Retransmission Fees" Stations have negotiated with Pay-TV providers. Guess who is going to pay for all of those? Not Me! For the last six years, I've been getting all my entertainment from "Somewhere Else".

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:32:54 AM PST
M. Whorton says:
Something needs to be done about ESPN. They charge each subscriber over $5 per subscription for their channel if and you have to pay it even if you watch it or not. Then ESPN uses that money to buy up rights to sporting events like the BCS games that used to be on free TV for the last 40 years. I hope the cord cutters and the low ratings the BCS games have got on their channel are hurting them because of their greed.

Thanks to my antenna I still get to watch football in HD without having to pay for it. I also get MeTV and documentarys on PBS for free. MeTV shows commercials that advertise that they show credits at the end of all their shows. They also show classic shows all of the time. It goes to show what a rip off TV Land is.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  TV Series forum
Participants:  326
Total posts:  1536
Initial post:  Jan 27, 2008
Latest post:  18 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 39 customers

Search Customer Discussions