Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it blink-182 Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > TV Series forum

Bones: Has it just Jumped the Shark???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 31, 2011 12:24:25 AM PDT
Richard says:
Warning! This post contains spoilers.
If you have not seen the end of the season episode then read no further.

So, with the announcement at the end of the show this season, has Bones "Jumped the Shark" and is now headed down the spiral toward irrelevancy and final cancellation?

We have all seen this before. The show we love survives on a "will they or won't they" tension, and when they finally do the show falls apart and is headed for the dustbin of TV history.

I feel it was a big mistake to go the road they did. First with the night alone (which they could have played out for another season - See The Nanny) then with Temperance's announcement that she is with child.

The new season's shows are now faithfully laid out with predictable fashion. Too predictable. We saw it all before on Moonlighting, Murphy Brown, even Cheers. The ship has hit the iceberg, will struggle for a while on the good graces of its loyal fans, and then sink.

It is too bad. This was one of the best shows on the air and I hoped it would go on for a few more seasons.

Have we seen the beginning of the end?

Posted on May 31, 2011 4:48:03 AM PDT
Just because a popular couple on a series finally gets together doesn't mean the show will inevitably "jump the shark." Jim and Pam on "The Office" finally got married and now have a child together, and that show is still going strong. There's no telling where "Cheers" would have gone had Shelley Long stayed. That said, the series lasted six more seasons following her departure. Had Sam and Diane actually gotten married, I think the show would have carried on, primarily as it had a wonderful ensamble cast and great writing and directing. Would it have lasted eleven seasons. We'll never know. That said, I don't feel that two characters hooking up is a sign of the end. In the case of "The Nanny," the series had basically run its course. With or without Fran and Maxwell's marriage, the show wouldn't have lastd much longer. I doubt their relationship had much to do with anything.

Posted on May 31, 2011 12:40:48 PM PDT
Richard says:
True John, but Jim and Pam were not the central characters the show was built around. They were part of an ensemble cast that could mingle story lines.
Cheers survived with new cast and new story direction. Could Bones survive the loss of Booth or Bones, or if they went solo AKA Mannix?

"Murphy Brown" sank rapidly with the decision to make her the post girl for the 80s working mom. We had to endure a season of pregnancy jokes recycled from "I Love Lucy," then the stereotypical delivery show and "child care problems" only to have the baby all but disappear when the ratings no longer justified it. And, of course, there was "Mad about You." I don't think I need to go on about that jump.

The most egregious, of course, remains Moonlighting, that simply ended the pregnancy when the ratings no longer supported it. (they didn't even make it a dream)
THAT is what I am afraid will happen here.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2011 12:56:19 PM PDT
drmayeda says:
The Show is a crime drama. The focus is normally on solving the crime with the personal lives are normally a minor subplot. Temprance has announced that she is pregnant. I assume that she had a urine test. They can always have a miscarrage. I was surprised their being in bed together ended this way. I would have thought it would have a more visual aspect on scene. At least like the Booth/Hannah reletionship.

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 6:40:10 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 1, 2011 7:28:44 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2012 3:07:30 AM PDT
lwd says:
Sorry, late to this party, I didn't know there was a discussion going on for my *former* favorite TV series.

I think they jumped the shark at the end of Season 7 with Bones playing the "fugitive" scenario. They are now showing the teaser for season 8, with Temperance now a blond and still on the run. Evidently solving that problem is going to take 2 to 3 episodes with the team 'secretly' trying to exonerate her.

I'll watch the re-runs, but Bones has pretty much jumped that shark for me. "True love", baby care and 'running from the law' by a main character is not why I enjoyed the show.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2012 5:25:41 AM PDT
drmayeda says:
lwd,
I'd like to see where this story line goes. The master hacker. He hit the jeffersoinan. I wonder who he will target next. We know he has a grudge against the team. After the incident with Brennan. The only way to stop this guy is to kill him. He's too tricky. the only one he could try is Cam. Hodges has deep pockets and can use his attorney's to give him breathing room. Angela, I wonder what ZZ top can do to "help out" He has some odd connections. Hodges can confirm that. Booth, with his skills and a few connections. He can easily stall an investigation till he can prove his innocence.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2012 12:05:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 26, 2012 12:06:07 PM PDT
lwd says:
D. Mayeda -

I have no doubt they will resolve the whole thing, I'm just sorry they used the "cliffhanger/fugitive" ploy at all. They didn't need it to bring viewers back by using it, and I'm afraid they've lost more than me as a fan. The whole tone of the show has changed.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2012 8:55:09 PM PDT
Richard says:
I agree lwd. It is a cheap ploy that weak shows need to use to boost ratings. It is a slap in the face to viewers of a good show who have shown their loyalty season after season. I stop watching the shows toward the end of the season becasue I know this tired excuse for programing will be trotted out again. I wait until the end of summer so I don't have to wait.

So, with "baby on board" has Bones jumped the shark and now we are just waiting for the inevitable ending?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2012 8:59:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 26, 2012 8:59:33 PM PDT
lwd says:
Richard -

I was more or less convinced they jumped the shark when they pulled the whole "baby born in a manger" bit. It wasn't even worth an eye roll.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:51:02 PM PST
stevign says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the TV Series forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  TV Series forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  May 31, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions