Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM
Customer Discussions > Urban Fantasy forum

Any UF NOT Focused on Police Work?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2011 9:45:02 AM PST
Boo says:
Every Urban fantasy I've read or looked into lately is heavily based around cops, detectives, etc. Is there any around with a different focus? Comedy that is not aimed at soccer moms, drama that doesn't involve love triangles?

I hope this is not coming off as rude, because I do love this genre, but I have noticed a pattern I can't seem to find a way out of...

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 12:48:18 PM PDT
Troll Finder says:
I just recommended The Forever Girl (by Rebecca Hamilton) in another post. No police work there (other then her being suspect in a murder, but that is in her past and not part of the story). It's more paranormal fantasy though. The Sookie Stackhouse novels seemed pretty good in this regard as well.

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 4:11:56 PM PDT
beckyneilsen says:
Rebecca Hamilton has a wonderful UF story, The Forever Girl. No police, I promise!

Posted on May 10, 2012 4:05:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012 4:07:52 AM PDT
Muhsketchy says:
Boo you haven't given much information so I'm not sure what type of storyline you are interested in other than urban fantasy which isn't a police procedural but here are a few titles/series I have enjoyed. Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga) is the first of three titles currently available from Shea McLeod. I don't know if you ever read the Jaz Parks series Once Bitten, Twice Shy (Jaz Parks) by Jennifer Rardin but this series reminds me of the earlier books in that series.

One of my favorite series which centers around the Leandros brothers, Niko and Cal, written by Rob Thurman starts of with Nightlife (Cal Leandros).

Something Secret This Way Comes: Secret McQueen, Book 1 is the first of 4 titles available from Sierra Dean. Secret is definitely not your standard tough talking protagonists, who somehow always seem to need rescuing.

Lili St.Crow has recently completed the Y/A Strange Angels series so if you try it, and happen to like it, you can read all five titles at once without waiting a year between books to find out what happens next.

Finally, I'm not sure if Shadow of the Sun (Timeless #1) by Laura Kreitzer is classified as UF but it is a series about angels which I have recently discovered. The first volume is free so all it will cost you is a little bit of your time to discover if you can add a new author to your list of favorites.

I hope some of these suggestions pan out for you. I was surprised to see so few responses to request for UF suggestions. Usually queries like that get a few hundred hits in the first hour alone. Which can be a bad thing because then the person who started the thread never seems to take the time to let the responders know if any of the suggestions were helpful or if they are still searching for a series they can sink their into. If it turns out that you try these, or have already read them, and enjoy the same titles I do just leave a note on this tread and I will post some more suggestions.

Posted on May 30, 2012 6:53:15 AM PDT
The Patricia Briggs books (either Mercy Thompson or Alpha and Omega) don't involve police (although they are mysteries.)
John Levitt has a series (starts with Dog Days) that is not police oriented.
Frank Tuttle--touch of steampunk, very different setting--if you're looking for humor--these have it in subtle form--wit. Start with Dead Man's Rain or Cadaver Client. Fun stuff.
Ilona Andrews The Edge is a very cool mix of fantasy with a touch of urban fantasy--the edge is literally an edge between two very different worlds. A very fun book.

Maria

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 5:21:24 PM PDT
The Dark Man's Son (The Guardian Chronicles) by, er...me...is an urban fantasy w/o cops. Well...there is one scene with cops. But mostly it's about a regular guy who finds himself caught up in events much bigger than he is. Also, there's no love triangle. And the comedy in it isn't aimed at soccer moms.

I'm kinda sick of all those things, too. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2012 11:29:44 PM PDT
Heather says:
Wow Margaret, you've managed to hit at least three threads in this forum with a post about your book. You aren't allow to promote your own work outside of Amazon's Meet Our Authors forum

Heather
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Urban Fantasy forum (176 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Help! Book Title Needed: Girl fostered in Hell, comes to Earth, meets brothers, falls in love 0 Mar 8, 2016
I need a new series 13 Sep 28, 2015
UF Series with lots of Action & Kick-A$$ Female lead... 573 Sep 28, 2015
Forgot name of this UF series, former special ops female bitten by rogue vampires 3 Sep 28, 2015
New to Urban Fantasy. Where do I start? 11 Dec 16, 2014
can't remember the name of a series!! please help!! 2 Nov 30, 2014
Books with alternate but highly developed and believable realities? 1 Oct 15, 2014
A place for independent urban fantasy authors to self promote! 24 Jun 30, 2014
Looking for a UF series Southern style 11 Mar 26, 2014
Forlorn since Sookie Stackhouse ended... anything out there I might like? 1 Mar 14, 2014
looking for non-western urban fantasy 8 Mar 14, 2014
Bad book reviews posted by readers 51 Mar 13, 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  Urban Fantasy forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Nov 25, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions