Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
Customer Discussions > Vegan forum

TVP and Faux Meat: highly processed or not?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 3, 2011 10:56:04 AM PDT
M says:
Does anyone know of some resources that explain in detail how commercially prepared faux meat analogues are made? Thanks!
Your reply to M's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Apr 3, 2011 11:58:29 AM PDT
http://www.greenpeople.org/webpage.cfm?memid=60190&pmtlevel=0&linkpage=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eforeverhealth%2Ecom%2Etw%2Feng%2Findex%2Easp

Hi M,
This link is for a company in Taiwan. It describes in some detail the ingredients that go into faux meat but not the actual process of forming the end products. If you compare these ingredients with those on the commercial finished products, you'll see what you might be eating even if it didn't originate from this Taiwanese company.
I hope this is helpful.
A

Posted on Apr 5, 2011 10:00:27 AM PDT
M says:
Hi A,
Thanks for the link! Very interesting company and website. ~M

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 6:24:04 AM PST
denilea says:
That's a pretty open-ended question! What is considered "faux" meat can be anything from a burger made with beans and veggies, to a something with soy-isolate powder that is quite processed.
I do buy Boca chik'n patties for conveinence now and then, but mostly use homemade seitan (baked not boiled!) or grain and nut loaves when I want that "texture". I don't call either "faux" meat because they nothing in common with dead animal flesh.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2011 2:32:54 PM PST
ace™ says:
"I don't call either "faux" meat because they nothing in common with dead animal flesh."

can someone explain to me why a vegan would even want to eat "faux meat"?

if you choose a completely animal-free diet/life, why would you want to then eat something that mimics what you are consciously choosing to give up?

i just can't wrap my head around that concept...

i'm not meaning this as any kind of attack, i'm just really curious...
can someone enlighten me?
thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011 7:45:18 PM PST
denilea says:
I think calling it a meat substitute is what confuses people. Making patties with bean products simply doesn't have a decent name in English. Calling them bean patties doesn't have the appeal in a society where meat is the typical main dish.
When you've grown up eating meat you still have that memory, long after meat becomes repulsive. I don't ever crave meat, but do occasionally make seitan, which is considered a "faux meat". It has flavors from the spices, that you would put in meat, and it's versitilile like meat. It's not an animal.
I didn't become vegan because I didn't like meat, I did it because I feel humans have evolved far beyond the animals that needed to kill for survival. I found I felt better without it, and soon all meat products disgusted me beyond belief. To see the packs of meat in grocerys make me as quesy as seeing a dead human baby wrapped in plastic.
In cultures where vegetarian main dishes are common, they have names for their foods that are accepted. In English even saying "bean curd", tofu, or seitan gets an ewwww from most people. That's why we say "faux meat", even though they're completely different.

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 6:08:48 AM PST
"if you choose a completely animal-free diet/life, why would you want to then eat something that mimics what you are consciously choosing to give up?"

Because the "something" we're eating hasn't been tormented, tortured, and/or slaughtered.

Speaking for myself (and like the poster above me), I didn't give up meat because of the taste, texture, or anything like that. I gave it up for a dozen other reasons--like the humane treatment of fellow earthlings, lessening the environmental impact, etc.

I don't get what you don't get, frankly. You're making such a specious argument!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Vegan forum (50 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Vegan forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Apr 3, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions