Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Vegetarian forum

Healhty Vegetarian Cookbook? Fresh Ingredients...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 3, 2009 11:38:41 AM PDT
Cristina says:
Hi, I recently became a vegetarian. I've purchased a couple of cook books that are good, but sometimes call for canned goods. I'd prefer to stick with fresh ingredients and would like some variety in cooking time, for instance some quick fix meals... I've been looking on amazon for quite a while...and after reading reviews I'm still not convinced of any one book. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Posted on Sep 3, 2009 12:20:37 PM PDT
Lucerne07 says:
I'd recommend The Vegan Table by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. Her focus is on fresh, whole, natural ingredients. I've made a ton of recipes from the book, and so far they've all been crowd pleasers.

Posted on Sep 19, 2009 9:07:11 PM PDT
Paquita says:
I would recommend The Blue Heron Ranch Cookbook! A lot of fresh real food. I read cookbooks like fiction, and I own quite a few. This one is my most used:)The Blue Heron Ranch Cookbook: Recipes and Stories from a Zen Retreat Center

Posted on Sep 26, 2009 3:57:42 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 26, 2009 4:00:02 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 26, 2009 3:58:53 PM PDT
Karma says:
My cookbook was designed for the new vegetarian in mind and is available here at Amazon. The 30-Day Vegetarian

You can browse it on line or check out my website where I list even more recipes and tips on whole foods cooking.
http://30dayvegetarian.com/

Enjoy!

Posted on Sep 26, 2009 3:59:07 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 26, 2009 3:59:51 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 26, 2009 4:26:04 PM PDT
Bandanaman says:
How deep would you like to go?

The savviest vegan cookbooks I have come across are those from the Millenium Restaurant in San Francisco, which is also my favorite vegetarian restaurant in America, and I live right near Chrissie Hynde's Vegeterranean Restaurant in Akron OH. But their are other fabulous cookbooks...tons of them. You can not go wrong with any of Molly Katzen's Moosewood Cookbooks, and they are vegetarian, not specifically vegan. But for a new vegetarian and not full hearted vegan, pick up a used copy of Linda Fraser's absolutely gorgeous BEST EVER VEGETARIAN COOKBOOK (out of print now) on Amazon for fifty cents, or Mark Bittner's HOW TO COOK EVERYTHING VEGETARIAN. You will not be disappointed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2009 7:29:31 PM PDT
denilea says:
I wouldn't buy any. I've been veg**n for three months now, and I've been through almost all our libraries books. You really need to understand your personal preferences and how you like to prepare food. What you need is retraining. Like you can't be a baker if you don't know what the ingrediants do, or how to subsitute. I found looking things up on the internet much more helpful for that reason.
I did like the Vegetarian Times Cookbook (the big one). I really don't remember them much.

Veggieboards.com has been a tremendous support group for me. Many different discussion threads for vegetarians and, or, vegans. People love to share recipes, product info, and general thoughts.
After 2 months I can't believe I ever ate meat. I feel terrific.
I think my best advice would be to keep your own food journal, and don't buy foods you're not real familiar with.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2009 7:43:37 PM PDT
M. Grotzky says:
You might try nearly anything by Deborah Madison. Read the reviews on Amazon to look for the ones that might be most useful. The Greens Cookbook, while wonderful, is more complicated than some of the more recent ones, like the ones for soup or simple suppers. Local Flavors is splendid, but not entirely vegetarian.

Many people like the cookbooks from the Moosewood Collective -- check the titles and reviews for the ones most likely to be of use to you -- entries include books about cooking for crowds, low fat cooking, simple meals, desserts -- there's a wide range of themes, at least one will appeal to most vegetarians.

And you might try Martha Rose Shulman. Some of her books are vegetarian and some contain nutritional information for each recipe, which is always nice.

Classic vegetarian cookbooks include Laurel's Kitchen (the first edition has a lovely introduction to the lifestyle some 60s and 70s vegetarians were interested in achieving) and Anna Thomas's Vegetarian Epicure (2 volumes). Thomas was widely given credit for making vegetarian food appealing to most people. In her just out Love Soup, she says that the food she makes now is lighter than it was when she wrote the early books, but I think that they remain full of great ideas. The second edition of Laurel's Kitchen is also more fat-conscious, and the authors have a bread cookbook with a splendid introduction to making whole wheat bread. The Laurel's Kitchen general cookbooks have pages and pages of nutritional information at the back.

Speaking of bread (and other vegetarian recipes), look for the books of Edward Espe Brown, Madison's co-author on the Green's cookbook. His bread book has been a bible for whole grain bakers for many years.

Many of these cookbooks contain no photos -- we might add to the original question a subcategory: "Which are your favorite vegetarian cookbooks with inspiring photographs?"

Posted on Sep 28, 2009 9:19:15 AM PDT
Cristina says:
Thank you to all who took the time to post. It means a great deal to me! I look foward to checking all of these suggestions out.

Posted on Nov 14, 2009 5:55:36 PM PST
denilea says:
I said I wouldn't buy any. I gonna buy this: Vegan Planet, Robin Robertson. It just happened to be the last veg cookbook I checked from my library. I love it because it's truly an everyday foods book, and describes ways of using ingrediants in a user friendly way. Like subsituting eggs, or using agar. The Joy of Cooking was my old standby, this one can replace it.

Posted on Dec 17, 2009 8:55:04 AM PST
Wicked Sunny says:
Check out a complete vegetarian pizza book -

Wickedrecipes: 30 Days Of Pizza

Would love to hear your views about it.
Your reply to Wicked Sunny's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Vegetarian forum (16 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Vegetarian forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Sep 3, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions