Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween
Customer Discussions > Video Games Trade-in forum

I just cannot believe this trade in garbage, item was not damaged

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 57 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 12, 2011 10:15:12 AM PST
So, I sent in 2 xbox 360 systems just recently. A resident evil edition and a spring 2010 arcade. The console trade in values were not bad. The resident evil edition was $182.50 and the arcade was 112.00 at the time. I looked on ebay and the complete resident evil consoles were selling for around that so I decided not to mess with ebay. Really do not like the problems I have had with ebay.

I recorded that the consoles functioned properly and everything was included down to the original boxes. Today I received an email, the Resident evil console was supposedly damaged while the other was incomplete. Well, no freaking way. I have video evidence. I contacted support and all they could tell me was that this mysterious merchant would not accept them for this reason. So, I can only assume they did something. Why? Well if UPS had damaged it they would be able to tell and would be able to take it up with UPS.

I cannot believe that my console is being sent back damaged. And amazon said they fully expect my next trade in to be accepted as I had already sent in some games they were giving a good value for. They better not say these were damaged. I have been videoing everything for a long time to protect myself in these instances. Problem here is: Who do I complain to or talk to to get this resolved?

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 7:12:18 PM PDT
Well, received my items back today and the one was missing the controller. It was definitely in there. Will not miss it anyway it was worn out really. As for the "Damaged" console they stated the disc tray would not open. Hooked it up and it all worked fine. The thing looks like new, literally. Don't know what the person was on that looked at these. I am a little concerned that a controller that was for sure in there came up missing. Must have took out the unit to test it and misplaced it and could not find it or something and just put down missing accessory.

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 9:10:33 PM PDT
twztid13 says:
i've never sent ina console, but i've been lucky that the 3rd party has accepted all my trade-ins (as they are usually all new purchases from amazon, so they are immaculate). i forget the name of the 3rd party (____ minds media, or something), but there's basically nothing you can do. one of the few games i got sent back with no reason, was alan wake. it was still perfect. i could have sent it back in, but 3 weeks had past & the TIV was way less. sorry you had a bad experience.

Posted on Mar 18, 2011 12:30:23 PM PDT
I posted this on some other forum and apparently it has happened to some others recently. Noticed the values had dropped dramatically since I sent my trade-in in. Really looking as if they just did not want to pay what they said.

Posted on Mar 18, 2011 1:32:41 PM PDT
SAK says:
I just had the same experience. Nothing wrong with the console I sent in, it was working just fine when I shipped it.

Posted on Mar 24, 2011 12:06:47 PM PDT
Mike T. says:
NORAM tends to come up with "damaged items" "scratched disc" "missing disc" missing item" when they don't want to pay for a high trade in value that has had a large drop since you sent the item in.

Posted on Apr 2, 2011 9:41:26 PM PDT
I had the EXACT thing happen just this last week with a PS3 that I was trying to trade in. Two days after I sent mine in, the trade in value went down about $105. I am suspicious of the same thing being the case with mine, but like you said I dont know who to take it up with.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2011 11:56:35 PM PDT
AZWolf says:
Take it up with Amazon customer service. I did, and was pleased with the result. If enough people complain, hopefully Amazon will drop this vendor.

Posted on Apr 4, 2011 7:43:47 PM PDT
RY says:
AZWolf: You don't want Amazon to drop this vendor, because there is no other buyer for the trade-in program. It's not perfect but I prefer it over Gamestop and Ebay.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2011 8:25:38 PM PDT
AZWolf says:
If the vendor is actively defrauding people or taking disks, you can bet I want them gone. That's pretty far from perfect if disks are consistently coming up missing or damaged (as was my case). I can drive it down to GameStop, I might not get as much, but if the alternative is having to gamble every time I send it in to the current vendor, in the long run it would benefit me to accept a lesser amouint.

The nice thing is we *do* have a choice, and if you are willing to risk it you can. I do hope Amazon continues the program, just with a different vendor. Until they do, I know I will exercize my choice not to use this vendor. I think it's important to let everyone know what they could experience if they do choose to use them. Only by speaking up can we see a change.

Posted on Apr 5, 2011 12:39:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2011 12:44:29 AM PDT
Mike T. says:,,, are all other trade options to consider. I have used them all and can verify they all are legitimate. Bestbuy is good but slow. They send you a best buy gift card but you can buy amazon/kindle cards at the store...also they don't require a manual. Spun and secondspin offer cash (paypal or check) but are very picky (needs to be complete, near mint, and no scratches accepted). Gazelle is less picky but TIVs are not that great. CEX and warehouse are other programs available, but I've never used them. And oh r us accepts trades also.

I don't think amazon cares that NORAM, POM media, pieceofmindmedia is a crooked company. They used to reseal the used games they received as trades and sell some of them as new if they felt the customer wouldn't realize it. They steal discs and other items, damage discs, and straight ou lie in order to avoid paying a high trade in value when they don't want to.

Posted on Apr 8, 2011 6:21:21 AM PDT
Ed Jones says:
I definitely think you should make Amazon CS aware. I had a similar issue and contacted them. They were a big help and I'm a natural pessimist. lol

Posted on Apr 19, 2011 1:14:25 PM PDT
dont forget great site for trade-ins u get cash or credit

Posted on Apr 19, 2011 2:21:57 PM PDT
twztid13 says:
plus, it doesn't neccessarily mean that piece of mind media is corrupt (i have no idea), but it could be just a few bad employees, or a punk manager that wants his numbers to look good. either way, amazon needs to know about it, man. do the right thing for yourself & everyone else & shoot them an email. heck, just copy & paste what you wrote here if nothing more.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2011 12:33:09 AM PDT
DOGMAN says:
open another account and send it in again ... screw that ! ! !

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2011 5:20:42 PM PDT
welcome to the club Matthew. Same happened to me I sent my ps3 in 2 weeks ago . It got returned and i just received it . They lost my controller. Also the reason that they returned my ps3 was that the power chord was missing, Which i sent and also received back today. I have no idea why it was returned :/ i am pissed . if your console is damaged . call them and ask for compensation. i got 36$ giftcard . because they lost my controller. !

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2011 5:21:51 PM PDT
call them and ask for compensation for ur controller. i got 32$ for my ps3 controller that they lost.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2011 5:23:56 PM PDT
was it a 40 GB ps3? cus i traded it in too and mine was returned as well :/ .

Posted on May 23, 2011 12:07:36 AM PDT
Fox says:
Hm. I just sent in a 360 myself. Should hear if it was accepted or returned tomorrow.

I'm a bit irked to see that the trade-in price for it today is $35 more than it was wen I sent mine off last week.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 12:33:19 AM PDT
dude i sold the same ps3, that was rejected by amazon, on ebay for more money than amazon was offering me ... :/

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 12:34:04 AM PDT
if its a good price , i hope it gets accepted. or else sell it on ebay . trust me .

Posted on May 23, 2011 2:58:02 PM PDT
Fox says:
Huh. My 360, too, was not accepted. They commented that it was "unacceptable," whatever that means.

Odd, considering that it was LITERALLY brand new. It had only been on for maybe a total of 3 hours since being opened.

Posted on Jun 5, 2011 12:12:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 5, 2011 12:23:02 AM PDT
Mike T. says:
Well I must post about a positive sign for the trade in program. Maybe someone got their ass chewed out for corruption or someone else is in charge now, but I was recently credited $200 each for a couple of PS2 fat consoles! The trade in value was $200 for some reason. I think that value only lasted for a day. I doubted very much that I would be paid but sent two perfectly functional units in with all the required parts and they were accepted! This is NOT B.S. It's a true story and should give confidence to people wanting to submit a console for trade. Just make sure it works and that all accessories are in good shape and included. I didn't have the original box or manual. I sent the system, the original controller, the original av cord, and power cord. I figure if they are now willing to give out $400 for 2 old PS2s, honoring their agreed upon trade in value, sending in fully functional current gen consoles with all the necessary accessories should be a safe bet.

Posted on Jun 7, 2011 10:57:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 7, 2011 11:00:52 AM PDT
coolbreeze says:
I just returned a 160gb PS3 that was about 6 months old. I put "Good" condition and they gave me the "Like New" price. I would say it was in very good condition. I sold my xbox 4gb a while back too and a lot of games for both systems with no problem.

Posted on Jun 7, 2011 11:06:08 AM PDT
whew.. another successful trade in. Though seeing that best buy does this now and I have a trade-in store mins from work I'll probably start using them as I could always use it to buy an Amazon gift card. Looks like the trade in prices are competitive too.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games Trade-in forum (229 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  39
Total posts:  57
Initial post:  Mar 12, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 7, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions