Eidos Confirm Next-Gen Xbox Blocks Used Games

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 259 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 18, 2013 6:44:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2013 6:44:27 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
YIKES!

http://www.thisisxbox.com/360/eidos-confirm-next-gen-xbox-blocks-used-games/

The next-generation of Xbox is one of the closest guarded secrets of the Microsoft Corp' Camp - you'll find no leaked controller pictures anyway with this upcoming baby, but Eidos' Ian Livingstone has confirmed in an interview that the upcoming next Xbox console will indeed watermark discs so they are unusable on other machines.

Livingstone is currently in India promoting the new Tomb Raider game and was interviewed by the GameGuru.in team whilst on his travels. The confirmation that Xbox 720, Xbox 8, Loop, Infinity (whatever it will be called) blocking used games will surely be a massive blow to retailers who rely on the trade-ins and used game market to supplement their sales.

It was also confirmed that the next Xbox does require an `always-on' internet connection, so if you're having bandwidth issues or on a capped data plan - you might want to consider upgrading!

Nothing has yet been confirmed by Microsoft, but with Sony soon to announce a new Playstation console and publishers looking to showcase their latest games on next-gen hardware - a reveal is logically imminent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-AN0zJop7o&feature=player_embedded

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 6:49:15 AM PST
Get ready to say goodbye to M$.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 6:51:31 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 6:51:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2013 6:52:51 AM PST
BOOM!

That sucks.

Always on net connection too?

Wow... Just... wow....

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 6:53:10 AM PST
Always online, no used games, no renting games, no borrowing games from friends, and still paying to play online or use services that are free everywhere else. Doomed.

...and no gamez.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 6:53:16 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
This will be an interesting twist to console gaming. PC gaming has had similar one time activation methods on and off for a long time now and it's still around.

It just continues to look like Console gaming is slowly adopting all the negatives of PC gaming without many of the positives.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 6:53:39 AM PST
I still don't buy the rumors.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 6:54:10 AM PST
Game over, man. Game over.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 6:56:19 AM PST
Wow.... That's really nice of them to just hand sony the victory.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 6:57:03 AM PST
I'm with you. I believe they have the tech but not the gall to pull the trigger unless Sony does it first. They probably have the workings of it as part of the dev kits but that doesn't mean it is a final feature.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 6:57:26 AM PST
M. McFly says:
This doesn't make or break anything. Wait to hear some real information before i decide nobox or yesbox.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 7:00:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2013 7:00:51 AM PST
Especially since all of these rumor confirmations are coming from weird small parts of the internet. I mean, this confirmation is from India! I could see how the blocking used games might make more sense in that part of the world, considering how the piracy in the area is insane compared to the USA. Until I hear word from an official source, I'll hold off on believing it.

Of course, if it does come true, I won't be buying the console, simple as that.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 7:01:33 AM PST
You would think that Microsoft would come out and immediately deny something like this. Why let a rumor this bad continue to fester on the internet?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 7:06:43 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
The youtube link is Livingstone from Eidos talking about how game disks will be watermarked to the console it is activated on.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 7:07:32 AM PST
This would make it a pass.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 7:08:01 AM PST
Yeah, I would consider him a somewhat credible source...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 7:08:10 AM PST
Totido says:
I heard Sony was considering the same. Didn't they just patent something doing with this?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 7:11:30 AM PST
Bobbum Man says:
He can say whatever he wants but i'm not buying a single word he says until Eidos follows through on Thief 4

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 7:12:44 AM PST
They all patent stuff like this. MS even had a patent on something similar for the 360.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 7:13:23 AM PST
Ah, that's a bit different then. I didn't watch the link since I'm at work. Regardless, until I hear something directly from Microsoft, I'm gonna hope these rumors are merely rumors.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 7:16:11 AM PST
This.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 7:22:28 AM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
If Sony doesn't do this, there is a chance Xbox will get a lot more exclusives because of the benefit to the devs. Could still backfire if devs find out they are making more money on games allowing used games instead of blocking them.

Always on internet requirement for a console just sounds like a bad idea to me. I imagine you could go ahead and add a gold subscription fee on top of that requirement.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 7:24:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2013 7:26:27 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I am speechless. There was a small chance of me going xbox next generation over Steam.... now that little chance has hit zero. Insane move by MS.

The source sounds fairly legite. I don't really view it as a rumor, not anymore. On the bright side my buyers remorse on the U went down a bit. No thanks to Nintendo, but still the U is looking better. Thanks Microsoft!

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 7:25:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2013 7:30:54 AM PST
I was blowing these rumors off but seems like more and more sources no matter how shady or unoffical are saying the same thing kinda leads me to believe this is true. MS really is in for a rude awakening if this is true. I will most def not be buying a 720 if this is true, right now my 360 is only used for Dance Central and Gears they are not offering enough exclusive software to put up with these "ideas" along with making me pay to play online.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 7:27:21 AM PST
Xbox live is just Microsoft putting their tip in, with 'Infinity', they are going to shove the whole thing in there.

Each console comes equipped with lube and hand sanitizer.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  78
Total posts:  259
Initial post:  Feb 18, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions