Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Gamestop re-shrink wrapping games?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 73 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 20, 2013 10:46:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2013 2:06:20 PM PST
Cats Go Nyan says:
I was looking for a new, sealed copy of a game, which they didnt have. The associate I spoke to, I've never seen before, and I've gone to that store since it opened. He said that he could have it re-wrapped by his assistant manager in the back. I know there's machines that do it, but I've never heard an associate openly admit it. Then of course he gave me the crap "never been played or even put into a system" bs.

I just thought it was interesting. More reasons for the hatters to keep hatting.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 10:52:14 AM PST
Donkey Punch says:
They tried to pull that same crap with me. They said it was opened because they needed a display box and when I got home Rayman had a scratch on it. If it's been opened it should be sold as used.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 10:53:28 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
Yeah, that's still ridiculous. Just because they repackage a game it's still not new. You can tell if a game has been repackaged by them s well because it's not wrapped the same way.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 10:57:54 AM PST
Joshua C says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 10:58:09 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
It's repacked but it doesn't look the same as the factory way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 11:00:08 AM PST
Donkey Punch says:
That's what they did to me. Sold me a display box copy but it had a scratch on it.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 11:01:19 AM PST
Donkey Punch says:
What happened to the Gamestop guy that used to post here? I'm pretty sure his name was Gamestop.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 11:14:51 AM PST
Gamestop is like the used car sales man of the videogame industy.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 11:17:58 AM PST
Bought a "New" display copy of a DS game, went home to play it and the cart had a save file with stylus hints on the game's notepad for puzzles.

Gamestop......

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 11:20:43 AM PST
I think that was the personified avatar of Gamestop, and he was probably lynched. Don't they allow employees to "rent" new games and return them to be sold, or was that just an urban legend?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 11:54:07 AM PST
Joshua C says:
What they don't tell you is that "New" does not mean "unplayed". Gamestop employees (at least during the brief time I worked there) are able to "borrow" any title for up to 4 days, as long as it's not expected to sell out, even if it's a new game. I remember that when I was there, it was right after the Wii came out, and I took home a copy of Raving Rabbids. We didn't have any preowned ones, so the store manager grabbed a copy, gutted it, and handed me the case, disc, and paper sleeve. The only rule about it is that if it's "new" you're liable to pay for the game if it comes back with any scratches (at the manager's discretion).

But, since they've still never SOLD it, they consider it and sell it as new. Tricksy little hobbitses.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 11:54:36 AM PST
Joshua C says:
No, that's a fact. Up to 4 days, any title in the store that isn't expected to be a fast sell.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 11:55:21 AM PST
cab0218 says:
Why do people even continue to shop at Gamestop when they do shady practices like this?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 11:56:48 AM PST
Joshua C says:
I only go there for exclusives, and won't buy a game that's been gutted or resealed. Generally I just pop into the Best Buy next door, or Target across the street for anything else.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 12:00:46 PM PST
John McClane says:
Pssst...you're supposed to buy USED games at GameStop, not new.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 12:04:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2013 12:08:01 PM PST
Because their by 2 get 1 free deals can be really good. And if you're a premium member the more you spend the more $5 off coupons you get so you can actually win out sometimes by going with Gamestop.

I pretty much only buy used from them. I did buy Xenoblade and Fallout: NV new over BF cause it was actually a deal. Their new prices usually suck compared to online.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 12:05:43 PM PST
You're suppose to NOT go to Gamestop, duh.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 12:11:39 PM PST
ZWY8706 says:
as a former employee let me explain why those opened games are "new" the employees of the store are allowed and encouraged to sign out and take home new games from the store to try out so they can speak to customers about them when asked questions there are specific rules about what you can take and when you can take them and you have to get a manager to sign off on them when you take them even the brand new sealed games when they are released can be "borrowed" but you have to return them the day before their release date and they proceed to sell them as new because a customer never played them only an employee no matter if it's lying or if they are scratched in the process and also none of the stores I have ever been to or worked at (I worked at 5 different stores) ever had a machine to re-shrink wrap games they just put a new sticker on it and use the case as a display keeping the game in a sleeve in a drawer behind the counter

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 12:16:47 PM PST
Wow, have you never heard of sentence structure?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 1:18:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2013 1:24:10 PM PST
So from what you're saying apparently is that the employee is allowed to take a new game home play it to know how it's like and then resale it at the store and still call it new because an employee not a customer played the game?

I'm sorry but regardless if an employee or customer played the game it's still a used game since it was open out of the box and played on a console by someone. So again technically it would be false advertisement from Gamestop to call such a game new.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 1:37:27 PM PST
Joshua C says:
The store I worked at had a re-wrap machine.
We were able to take out new releases, even on the release date, as long as it wasn't projected to be a big seller. For highly anticipated games like Call of Duty, Halo, Madden, etc., we weren't allowed to sign them out at all until sales had slowed for the title.
Likewise, if a game was brought in as trade or being sold back to us, we were not able to sign it out if it was planned to be a "fast sell" item. I remember we once got in a copy of Ikaruga for Gamecube, and my coworker wasn't allowed to sign it out because it was such a rare title and management knew it would sell within a few days of being on the shelf.

Then again, if WE brought back a scratched game, we were told to keep it and the cost of a new copy was deducted from our pay. All items had to be returned in the condition they were signed out in.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 2:09:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2013 2:09:57 PM PST
Cats Go Nyan says:
I don't really care what they do with the games to be honest. I have the pro membership mostly to get Game Informer. And on the rare occasion that I do buy a game from them, it's pre-owned, and usually less than $10 (and I get 10% off).

Edit: From what it sounds like, I should snatch up a part time job there and save myself from buying lots of games. :P

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 2:12:03 PM PST
Joshua C says:
Thats pretty much what I did. There's an employee discount on used items as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 2:46:39 PM PST
I was at GameStop yesterday and the girl tried to convince a guy to buy used over new to save a few bucks... Turns out the new was on sale and was actually cheaper than their used.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 2:51:37 PM PST
Joshua C says:
Totally possible, but the profit margin on used is far beyond what it is for new. The corporate line is to push used on all possible opportunities.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  73
Initial post:  Jan 20, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions