Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Sony patents interactive ad technology for PlayStation, TV and PC

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 20, 2013 12:30:56 PM PST
I've seen some of these patent sketches before but pages 1 and 2 show a PS3 whereas other pages show Move controllers, TVs, PCs, etc.

Page 10 shows somebody sitting in front of the TV and having to stand up and say "McDonald's" in order to end the ad and get back to what he was doing. Another page shows that the user has to drive a virtual car "through" the ad.

http://t.co/knISQVJt PDF <----file of patent

https://twitter.com/ancient_james/status/304309132750647297/photo/1 <--- Page that shows user having to say "McDonald's" in order to end the ad.

https://twitter.com/ibogost

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 12:32:12 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Didn't you post about this before?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 12:32:37 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Having to click which ad you hate least in order to watch Hulu videos is bad enough. Those examples are soul-crushing.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 12:34:40 PM PST
There's new material or at least pages I have never seen before. The part where the guy had to throw the pickle into the burger was in an earlier patent.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 12:35:39 PM PST
Coffee says:
Note to people not familiar with IP and patent law: Just because a company enters a patent application, does not necessairly mean they will receive a patent, nor does it mean that they will automatically start selling/producing the subject of said application. Often, companies get these things to keep OTHER people from doing it or making money off it it.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 12:36:18 PM PST
I wonder if Microsoft and Nintendo's R&D dept. play solitaire all day.

Never seen Jason post a patent from them.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 12:36:18 PM PST
I usually don't choose either. It's my little form of protest.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 12:36:24 PM PST
Soulshine says:
We can pickle that.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 12:38:23 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Most of them have a timer that will automatically pick if you wait long enough, but I've run into a couple where it would not proceed until you clicked on something in the ad.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 12:38:51 PM PST
You have seriously never seen me post a patent from them? Were your eyes closed since the most epic patent sketch I have ever seen (and posted) came from Nintendo.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 12:59:34 PM PST
I've only ever seen the ones where it automatically picks for the 30-second ones. If I have a choice to watch a longer ad with no interruptions, I will chose that.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Feb 20, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions