Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Game Falls $28 Short Of $50,000 Kickstarter Goal

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2012 8:27:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 8:28:52 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
That's devastating to get so close...

"This has got to be agonizing. DreamQuest games wasn't looking for an insane amount of money when they put their planned game, Alpha Colony up on Kickstarter. All they wanted was $50,000 to develop the exploration, building and trading simulation for PCs and mobile devices. The detailed explanation, with screenshots, and a playable browser-based demo suggested that if it wasn't a good game, it was at least a serious project undertaken by people with industry experience.

And it came in $28 short of the goal.

"Kickstarter is very strict about their terms and our project will not be funded," said a statement, which appears to have been written by lead programmer Christopher Williamson, on the game's Facebook page. "Obviously, we are very disappointed. We have invested 10 months and over $60,000 of our own money into this project. It is so frustrating to come so close, but clearly there simply isn't that much interest in building the kind of game I envisioned.

"I have already invested everything I have getting my dream this far (twice!) and now I must feed my family and focus on projects that will pay the bills," he added. "I have been trying to build this game for almost 14 years so I doubt this is the end for Alpha Colony, but I do have to be responsible business owner and father and accept the reality of where we are at the moment and what the world wants."

Some jerk then left a really nasty comment. "Obviously it's not that important to you if 14 years of your life isn't worth a lousy $28," he said. Someone else said something along the same lines but had the courtesy to delete it later.

Still, Williamson addressed why he or someone else didn't just PayPal a quick $28 to secure the funding. "We did put quite a bit of our own money into the project as well as the Kickstarter campaign," he wrote. "We just had some bad luck on the timing of things. All I can say is the Universe is trying to tell us something here. ... We could very well have lost even MORE money building this game and delivering the rewards. $50,000 is still an absurdly small amount of money to develop a modern 3D game on 3 platforms.""

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 8:31:31 PM PST
Jawwaad says:
Too bad the developers couldn't take $28 out of their wallet to cover the difference.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 8:33:58 PM PST
That's what I was thinking. Or call mom, a sinking or friend to pledge $28. At that point I would have bought a prepaid Visa to cover that $28.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 8:37:37 PM PST
Not to rain on the parade, but I imagine 20 some minutes before the end of the thing they were still $500 some short, and it was only a couple last minute donations that got it to the $28 mark. Still, even $500 on a $60,000 kcikstarter seems trivial and someone should have just asked a couple of friends or something.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 8:40:14 PM PST
Or maybe one of the two guys who made the snotty remarks on the Facebook page could have donated the $28 needed.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 8:42:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 8:50:05 PM PST
DVvM says:
If Kickstarter had a rule that if you fall short of your goal by less than 1% of your goal, you can once and only once get a 24 hour extension, or something... would that get abused?

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 8:42:39 PM PST
A customer says:
*Seinfeld voice* That's a shame.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 9:55:52 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:33:23 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 11:23:40 PM PST
Anthony says:
this.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 2:42:24 AM PST
Cats Go Nyan says:
I don't entirely understand how this program works, does the money that was raised go back to the people who donated? Or do the people who started the goal just get to keep it without having to finish their project?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 2:52:43 AM PST
Smarty says:
i believe the money is held in escrow until the goal/deadline is met. It shoould be returned.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 4:51:57 AM PST
Breeze says:
It states several times on the website that no money is transferred unless the project reaches its goal by the deadline and funds will not be transferred until the deadline is up.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 4:55:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 4:57:29 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
I'm sure someone on that team has a penny jar with more than $28 in it. Shoulda taken a ride to the nearest Coinstar.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 4:56:41 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 17, 2013 7:54:03 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:06:53 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:33:24 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:12:20 AM PST
Cats Go Nyan says:
I just don't understand this, why do people give so much money for these games to be made? What incentive does someone have to donate?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:20:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 5:22:15 AM PST
Often backers get the full game and a bunch of bonuses for helping fund it. Sometimes you can also get a game for a bit cheaper than if it was released already. For instance:

Pledge $20 or more
25000 backers Sold out
For early backers only! DIGITAL DOWNLOADABLE COPY OF PROJECT ETERNITY. This limited price point is only available for the first backers of PROJECT ETERNITY. All Kickstarter backers will receive a special Kickstarter only in-game achievement and item. (The item will not affect the game's balance). Includes Cooking with Tim - An RPG-themed e-Cookbook, and Making of Project Eternity Documentary (streaming).

And some other incentives such as alpha and beta access are also there. I gave $70 to Star Citizen and I'm receiving quite a lot of day one content in addition to the alpha and beta access.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:22:43 AM PST
GAR says:
When you post money on kickstarter they do not bill you when you donate, only after the project is fully funded are you charged for the amount you pledged.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:59:19 AM PST
That warm, fuzzy feeling! And sometimes a little bit of loot.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:02:55 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Sounds stupid to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:06:47 AM PST
An automatic extension as you describe is a great idea.
Oh, it's you DVvM -- I almost didn't recognize you with your new handle.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:10:30 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
They can also put it back up on Kickstarter. I was backing a documentary that failed pretty spectacularly the first time around. They relisted it and actually did a few interviews with their relisting and succeeded.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:12:24 AM PST
It's horrible that they got so close, but I'm finding it hard to feel sorry for someone that couldn't put up a little bit more of their own money.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:14:26 AM PST
Good point. It most likely wasn't sitting at $28 for a while. Still, in that case I would have thrown an extra $50-100 at it to get it over.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:16:52 AM PST
Breeze says:
The reason I donate: I want these things to exist.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
OT: In a forum where the trolls roam freely and the console war rages, there is one last bastion of hope. Where the righteous make their final stand. They call it "the OT." 3300 53 seconds ago
OT: Week 3 of the NFL Season. Something ain't right when the Saints are 0-2 and the Bills are 2-0. WHO YA GOT! 86 1 minute ago
Is Activision Blizzard's $500 Million "Destiny" a $1.5 Billion Disappointment? 1 2 minutes ago
OT: Pedophiles and Christians use Free Ice Cream to Seduce Children 25 4 minutes ago
need xbox live friends 16 1 hour ago
Looks like we might be getting a fourth "Video Games Live" album 1 1 hour ago
I'm Digging This Master Chef 7 1 hour ago
OT: The Official VGF Metal/Rock Thread! 528 1 hour ago
So what's up with the unhealthy obsession to hate anything Xbox exclusive? 150 1 hour ago
OTish: Pieces of Work That You Disliked At First, But Grew To Really Like 13 2 hours ago
Road Rash Remake 10 2 hours ago
OT: Reporter Says "Eff it, I quit." On Air and Reveals She is the Owner of Alaska Cannabis Club 9 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Dec 2, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions