Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Trailer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 59 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 9:09:44 PM PST
J. Arthur says:
@Keji--Agree with everything that you said about FF IX and Type-0. FF IX brought the series back to its old school roots at just the right time. FF VIII had not gone over particularly well with fans of the series much in the same way that FF XIII (and its unnecessary sequels) has not gone over particularly well with old school fants. I wish that Square would learn from FF IX and take the series back in that direction.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 9:06:31 PM PST
J. Arthur says:
@McAwesomeo--FF IX remains one of the most underrated games in the series. Personally, it was one of my favorites. It took the series back to its roots at just the right time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 7:38:05 PM PST
No but I can say that I don't plan buying it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 3:12:20 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
I personally don't think it would be wise to completely shed the menu and ATB battles of older Final Fantasies but more merge them to create something classic but modern at the same time. Quite a few people didn't like the battle system in XIII but I thought it was very well done.

"The stories from the past entries in the Final Fantasy series are not exactly as I would have done, but that's as it should be because I didn't direct them. My only concern in terms of Versus XIII is that FF always talks about human emotion and psychologies in a broad way, and I want to go deeper in terms of offering some crude reality in terms of human emotion or human behaviour. The goal, when a player holds a controller and plays an RPG, is to make them believe in another world - to experience a dream in a fictional world. It will be different in Versus XIII because of the intrusion of the real world, and things that are really happening. There will be less fiction and more reality."

Tetsuya Nomura had that to say regarding the story in Versus XIII. I love the stories told in Final Fantasy games but this new grittier feel that they say they are going for in Versus XIII sounds really interesting to me. The ending of XIII-2 really shocked me but it was amazing for how it was done. It will be interesting to see what they do with a story that gets even grittier than that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 2:31:29 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Not me, I plan to marathon game myself to death by 2015.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 2:29:40 PM PST
"Hey can you use your time machine to tell me when Tales of Xillia will be released?"

I don't know how to tell you this Strider, but I used MY time machine to answer your question and it says you will all be the slaves of a hostile alien invader by 2016. The funny thing is his name is The Great Xillia and he has 1000 tails.

So, to answer your question...The Tails of Xillia will be released in 2016. All hail Xillia!

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 2:29:05 PM PST
1#Pen Name says:
So no one likes Sazh, Racists.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 1:59:48 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
"I'm a huge final fantasy fan but I'm not gonna a game that's been thrown together at least not for more than $15."

Hey can you use your time machine to tell me when Tales of Xillia will be released?

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 1:58:43 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Final Fantasy XIII-3 combat is supposed to be more action based as well.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 1:58:30 PM PST
Yeah hopefully Lightening Returns sells like sh*t on a hot day because this is getting old. I don't plan on buying it unless I see it in the bargain bin 3 months after release. I'm a huge final fantasy fan but I'm not gonna a game that's been thrown together at least not for more than $15. I doubt square enix goes bankrupt the most that will happen is they will just publish games and get out of the developing business considering that's where they already get most of their money any way (ex. Deus Ex and Tomb Raider). But hey square enix needs to be embarrassed because by the sales of the last few games that they've developed they need to have an even bigger failure than xiii-2 and sleeping dogs.

Sleeping Dogs may actually be a good game but square enix has damaged their name that much to where games are selling bad
because of square's bad reputation. O well here's hoping Verses XIII get's an early 2014 release. Also hope it doesn't suck and they drop XIII from the title.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 1:56:48 PM PST
All of this is why I'm really looking forward to Versus XIII and why I'm annoyed it hasn't released yet. Here the series is evolving and moving forward yet Square isn't giving it the focus it needs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 1:54:40 PM PST
That sounds like a natural evolution of the FF franchise. Really cool. The series has shed too much of the menu-driven strategy, and it needs to embrace a more complex action-RPG combat system to stay relevant. I think people would go absolutely nuts for a Final Fantasy with stat-driven action combat.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 1:23:05 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
I just read a little further up on Versus XIII on Wikipedia and the gameplay sounds really interesting. It's a completely new approach to any Final Fantasy game ever. It makes sense why the game would take so long to create but still not 7 years if they were actually working on it.

All event scenes in Versus XIII will be in real-time, and the player will be able to play normally while they occur.[12] The player will be able to run around and perform various actions during these event scenes. Nomura has called these new types of event scenes "Real-Time Events" (RTEs) and states that their inclusion has resulted in Versus XIII having a first-person shooter-like form of storytelling rather than console RPGs.[12] The RTEs will be directed by Jun Akiyama, who directed the event scenes in Final Fantasy XII.
While some RTEs will transition seamlessly into gameplay, most RTEs will be triggered during gameplay and with no forewarning. Players should expect to suddenly trigger certain RTEs while just moving throughout the game world. For example, an RTE plays where it takes sweeping camera shots of a city at night, then zooms into the glass roof of one skyscraper where aristocrats are having a party. The camera then begins to position itself behind Noctis, seamlessly becoming playable. However, while the player makes him run across the room, another RTE is triggered and an airship suddenly appears and crashes into the building while the player is still controlling Noctis. Another example of an RTE happens while the player makes Noctis run down a city road at night. While running down the road, an airship suddenly crashes into a building in front of Noctis and then drops to the ground; part of it then explodes causing the entire airship to flip into the air over Noctis while the player is still controlling him. Another example has the player making Noctis run across a long pedestrian bridge. While crossing this bridge, a RTE is triggered where a series of missiles are fired at the bridge and the first one breaks part of the bridge's wall. The player then has to make Noctis dodge the remaining missiles while trying to make it across the rest of the bridge.
While most RTEs will occur in the main story, there will be numerous other RTEs will be dependant on the players actions. For example, while the player makes Noctis run down a city road at night, a RTE is triggered and a billboard sign falls on the road in front of Noctis and the camera pans up to reveal a behemoth perched on top of a building. The behemoth then jumps down to the road and attacks Noctis and his allies, which seamlessly transitions the gameplay from a RTE to a battle. While in battle with the behemoth, if the player makes Noctis cross a nearby footbridge, the game will suddenly switch to another RTE and the monster will attack Noctis and cause the entire footbridge to collapse. If the player does not make Noctis cross this footbridge while fighting the behemoth then this RTE will not be triggered.
There will also be RTEs that offer unique gameplay. For example, there will be a number of RTEs in the game where the player controls Noctis in first-person view. One revealed example is a RTE where the player controls Noctis when he was a child and and makes him run up to his father who is looking for him in a forest during twilight.
Nomura states that implementing all these RTEs, which transition seamlessly into the flow of gameplay, is difficult and takes a long time.[13] For areas where RTEs would not be required or be too difficult to create, pre-rendered FMV footage will be used instead.[12] The ratio of RTEs compared to pre-rendered FMVs will be 7:3.[14]
The reason Nomura decided to not use any non-interactive event scenes is because he mainly skips them when playing JRPGs.[12] Rather than putting the controller down to watch the story unfold via an event scene, Nomura prefers to skip them completely so he can get back to the gameplay:

"In FF Versus XIII, we've gotten rid of [in-game] cutscenes that the player can't control. There will either be pre-rendered movies or realtime event scenes that the player can control. These scenes are part of a new gameplay feature which, as far as I know, hasn't been done anywhere else. It's something that allows for very natural changes in the game experience, a form of expression you don't really see in games. It's not something you can explain quickly since the experience can change with each situation, but you could say it leads to the sort of storytelling you see more in FPS games than in console RPGs.
"I suppose it's a matter of opinion, but I wind up skipping most cutscenes I run into because I want to get back into the game. I don't think I'm the only gamer like that, and so I wanted storytelling that takes pains not to stop the gameplay. That way, gamers like that can still get into the event scenes in natural fashion. It's also a development time-saver. In the past, we'd make separate high-poly models for the cutscenes, but technology is now to the point where the only difference between the 'high-poly' and 'low-poly' models in FF Versus XIII is in the hair."

Nomura has also stated that Final Fantasy Versus XIII is being developed to have a storytelling approach that appeals more to people that enjoy FPSs rather than JRPGs. This is being achieved by having constant player interactivity, even during event scenes. The only time the player will not be interacting with the game is when watching a pre-rendered FMV. Also, the majority of dialogue between the party members will take place during actual gameplay. As a result of this, voice recording for the party members is being done with all their voice actors in the same room at once so their voices overlap and provide realistic sounding conversations.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 1:20:05 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
I don't mind the futuristic Final Fantasy games since VIII and XIII are some of my favorite games in the series. IX had a very touching story for me though and pulled off the fantasy settings with steam technology extremely well.

I really don't understand not releasing Type-0 either and seems like an extremely easy decision from Square Enix's standpoint as well as Sony's. Enhancing the game to be released on the Vita would push sales for the game and the Vita both in the US and Japan so it seems like a simple decision in my eyes.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 1:11:19 PM PST
Frank says:
SE needs to bring the franchise back to its roots. Give us back the open worlds, the expansive maps, the almost non linear Dragon Quest style structure. FFX on up all seemed to be on rails IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 1:01:39 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
XIII-2 is a lot of fun.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 1:00:40 PM PST
"Nier was actually somewhat like that. A father trying to save his sick daughter in a dying world."

Yeah I loved that game. It had a brilliant story.

I'm trying not to complain too much about Final Fantasy games. It just hurts a little to see them create a compelling and beautiful world like Spira and then folow it up with this...decent sci-fi world.

But, as I said, Lightning is a really cool strong female character who belongs right up there with Celes and Rydia. I also haven't played FFXIII-2 yet which looks like EXACTLY the type of game I love (time travel? Optional quests? Yes please). Maybe I can be turned around on the Fabulous Nouveau Christmas saga after all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:39:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 12:43:51 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Ok. Here's hoping the game comes out eventually; I've had it pre-ordered since 2/09/2011.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:15:53 PM PST
It's different from those, at least from what I understand. Humans basically live in one city (the one featured in the trailers) and almost never venture outside of it. Certain people have the ability to wield magic but it is fairly rare because humanity has pulled away from the wilds of the outside world. From what I've managed to piece together in the game the city begins to fall as the creatures outside become more aggressive and openly attack people within the city.

And think of the event system like Animal Crossing and how the world is still going even when you're not playing. It's designed so that when you play through again it will be a different and things happen based on what time it is. There's supposed to be a day and night cycle, NPC's have lives so they are constantly going about their business, and the events that happen are mostly side quests and things like that. The story itself can be played at any time but there's this whole other aspect of the world that is constantly changing. The director said he wanted it so when you're playing through you might hear about something you missed and make note to check that out on your next play through.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:10:19 PM PST
1#Pen Name says:
I'm pretty sure everyone will be playing this 24 hrs a day when it comes out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:05:27 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
"events constantly happening and if you're not playing you could miss them and not even be aware of them."

Wtf!? so you have to play 24 hours a day? I don't get how this could possibly be true or could be considered a good thing in a single player game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 11:59:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 11:59:45 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
So basically it's the same type world as Final Fantasy XIII, and Final Fantasy VII, and Final Fantasy VIII, and Final Fantasy X etc.

Get Ni No Kuni if you want a fantasy JRPG.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 11:57:55 AM PST
From what I've gathered about Versus it looks like the world outside of the city isn't futuristic and more in line with classic Final Fantasy in terms of setting. The idea really intrigues me with the concept of a city that's been built in a world like this to keep the monsters and other magical elements out yet they are now starting to lose this battle.

It's not that I don't want a futuristic Final Fantasy but I'd love to see them have a return to form in terms of setting, character classes, and all that.

Also there's a number of systems at play in Versus which really has me interested such as events constantly happening and if you're not playing you could miss them and not even be aware of them. I also really like the concepts around the battle system as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 11:50:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 11:55:05 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
You don't want futuristic Final Fantasy but yet you're freaking out that Versus might not be released? =p

Edit: There's all this talk about what "Fans" want from Square Enix, but honestly it seems to me what "fans" most want is to hate on them and for them to fail.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 11:48:44 AM PST
IX was damn good and highly underrated in my opinion. One of my favorite Final Fantasies by far though I have a hard time ranking it against VII since they both do so much so well. In fact I've got IX loaded up on my Vita but haven't got VII yet lol.

@ J. Pardee

Thanks for bringing that information to light, I wasn't sure about all the dates and everything behind each title but I know there is quite a bit of demand for them yet very little action from Square.

I'd love to see a new Final Fantasy that was like IX and doesn't try to go for the futuristic approach we've seen in the past few releases. Kind of bums me out that the old school feel has been regulated to the MMOs. This might just be me but when Final Fantasy throws all this technology into the mix along with sword and magic it slightly loses that Final Fantasy feel. VII did a good job mixing the elements but even there it didn't quite have that same feeling that the older titles brought. Heck to this day I still find it odd when playing and I see someone using guns against someone who wields a sword.

The Type-0 situation really puzzles me. They are waiting for an opportunity to release a game in the US that pretty much their entire fan base wants? What more of an opportunity do they need than that? The title is complete and just needs to be localized at this point but I'm going to assume they haven't even started that process yet.

Square leaves me scratching my head more often than not. They need to stop with the spin offs, re-releases, and remakes so they can focus on getting out the products they've announced and that fans want. Seven years is absolutely ridiculous for Versus XIII in my opinion and the only thing I can think of as to why we're still waiting is Square opened their mouth before realizing where they stood development wise and it's now being regulated to a next generation title. I'm still baffled that we're getting XIII-2 and XIII-3 before Versus XIII.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
XBL sale on 360 games starting 06/08 (No Gold sub needed) 96 10 seconds ago
How Might PS4 Dominance Change The Industry? 10 1 minute ago
OT: Her bewbs may not be much to write home about, but she gives one great Amazon Monkeybar 9324 2 minutes ago
FACT: Xbox One has a better Fall/Holiday lineup compared to the ps4! 77 5 minutes ago
Sony to Sell White PS4 Separately From Destiny Later This Year 0 5 minutes ago
Console Wars book is out today 30 6 minutes ago
Jim Sterling-Top Ten Feminist Icons in Gaming! 9 17 minutes ago
Opinions: When will the digital library really open up for the PS4? 33 19 minutes ago
Game Trailers: Top Ten Swords 4 21 minutes ago
UH OH! Is Something Strange Brewing At Microsoft? Xbox One Future In Jeopardy? 5 27 minutes ago
OT: Vegas 34 33 minutes ago
Quit Necrobumping Please. 40 49 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  59
Initial post:  Dec 22, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions